• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Is 8K just a huge farce at anything under 85"?

Should I be waiting? because this sounds tempting. But honestly if 8K is all just marketing (as many people seem to claim it is) then Im ready to buy my TV for next gen next month.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Instead of 8k, I'd focus on contrast, nits, color accuracy and support for high and variable refresh rates.

8K looks nice on the spec sheet, but for reasonable display sizes... Those other aspects are going to be way more impactful.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Does cable/streaming even do 8K at this point? Seems like this is just marketing bs at this point.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8k is the stupidest fucking thing and will be useless on any screen under 85" for the average consumer. Also there's zero 8k content and that's not going to change any time soon. It's a useless marketing talking point and nothing more. A 4k OLED is an infinitely better investment than any 8k display.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Are we going to se 8K selling at that price? Everything I have seen has 8k as an extremely expensive niche product.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome - let everyone that wants their 8k subsidize my next premium 4k set to make it a better deal.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Sports are still 1080p, most games are 1080p, most of netflix is only 1080p. I don't understand why they're selling 8k TVs.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
There will be 3 next gen games running at 8k this fall and they all will be variations of Minecraft.

Unless you have money to just throw away or a bleeding edge PC, there is no advantage to spending that much on 8k now given the lack of content.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Most people sit at a distance from their television where it is impossible to perceive a difference in resolution between 4K and 8K. If you ever study any optics, there are laws of physics which limit the resolution that can be achieved by a lens at a given distance.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Even ignoring whether there is any benefit to 8K at the size and viewing distance you'd get, I can't imagine you wouldn't be better off waiting for there to be actual 8K content available and buying a better 8K TV then.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If everything was 4K HDR high bit-rate that would be good enough for me.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
We've put ourselves in such a dumb place with this. There is essentially zero pre-recorded 8K content even available and many movies are still stuck at 2K digital intermediates.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
8k is beyond pointless.
And anyone who buys into in needs to have a word with themselves.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Does cable/streaming even do 8K at this point? Seems like this is just marketing bs at this point.
Cable and streaming don't even do 4k at this point.

And before someone quotes me with nerd glasses ahct-uall-y, sir netflix/disney+/whatever does 4k hyven glaven.

That shit barely holds up against at 1080p blu ray disc.

We're still getting movies mastered at 2k and then up scaled for 4k blu rays.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
8k atm just seems stupid as still barley any 4k content (that's not gaming).

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
What's the point when there is almost no content in 8k.

Also, when I was at Best Buy a few weeks back, they were showing off an 8k TV, and I literally couldn't tell any difference over decent 4k.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the content you'll watch on a 4K set doesn't come close to justifying all the added pixels, including a hell of a lot of content advertised as "4K". Buying an 8K in 2020 is just silliness.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Cable does 720p/1080i. Streaming can do 4k with some services at varying bitrates that may or may not make the picture look slightly or greatly above 1080p.

There is no way content or delivery is ready for 8k. It's really not even ready for 4k.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
And yet plenty of cable channels still broadcast at 720P. I think I'll stick with my 4K set for a while.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's supposed to be good for older games because all the past resolution standards are multiples of it.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I read a story on the new Samsung "borderless" 8K tv today. I recall it saying that they can't even handle the 8K bandwidth, it scales down to 4K and scales in back up again...

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
I was at Best Buy Boxing Day at around 11am and huge quantities of the door crasher tvs on sale were still available.. I really don't know what they're going to do to entice consumers. Most of the people I know are still happy with their 1080p sets.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cable does 720p/1080i. Streaming can do 4k with some services at varying bitrates that may or may not make the picture look slightly or greatly above 1080p.

There is no way content or delivery is ready for 8k. It's really not even ready for 4k.

There are 4k cable/satellite channels in the UK. Not loads of them though.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
compressed to hell and back kind of defeats the purpose of buying the best quality tv/protector.

I see it all the time on this forum and else where. "man I watched an actual blu ray after watching streaming for so long and it's so much better"

True. I was just being a pedantic twat

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
My brother just got a Samsung 4k HDR TV at Costco for like $900 less than the ks8000 or whatever I purchased a few years back. I'm in zero rush for 8k and the 60" 1080p tv in my bedroom is all I need in there. That tv is basically for falling asleep Disney + tv shows at this point.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Resolution is a bit of a farce to me at this point. I want great colors, great black levels, no lag and an interface that doesnt turn into a slow, unresponsive mess after a year (ugh, smart TVs, can I have a dumb TV instead?)

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, especially in the US as long as there isn't a national broadband infrastructure, TV (and particularly sports) will continue to be formatted and broadcast to be viewable on old tube TVs that won't die.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm officially old now because I remember being incredulous at people that couldn't see the difference between VHS and DVD.

Now I'm kinda like "1080p is still pretty damn good" despite having a 4K TV and a small 4K physical movie collection.

To me the jump isn't there as much as it is looking at an LED TV next to an OLED TV.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
This is Samsung's fault. They always rush technology just to say they were first. Remember the curved TVs? How did that go?

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you put a 1080p display next to a 4K display, the vast majority of people won't be able to tell a difference outside HDR or better backlight technology for brightness. Unless you're like, two feet away from a huge screen, functionally its just not gonna matter to most people. Ignoring HDR, if I played the John Wick blu-ray and John Wick 4K UHD on the same display, functionally it'll be about the same, unless you're sitting up close and actively lookin for things, which isn't the way most people enjoy content. Furthermore, if I put on John Wick 4K, John Wick 2 4K, and John Wick Chapter 3 4K on the same display, a lot of people will say the sequels look better. And yet John Wick 1 was finished at 4K and the sequels were finished at 2K. The resolution matters only so much.

Steve Yedlin, cinematographer on all of Rian Johnson's films including The Last Jedi and Knives Out, did a very exhaustive demo on resolution. He goes from 2K alllll the way up to 65mm IMAX cameras scanned at 11K. He goes through them randomly and even in the uncompressed demo you can download its virtually impossible to say "oh, this is the 2K version" or "ah, this must be the 6K version", which is the point. There are so many other things that go into the visual pipeline of what an image looks like, and functionally, the resolution just isn't that important past 2K.

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't everything going to look worse on these displays because almost all the content will be scaled up from 1080p/4K? If so, I really hope the 2020 LG OLED models aren't 8K.

Oct 27, 2017
Who are these for? People who want the latest gadget just because? The majority of content isn't streamed/rendered at 8k. Hell, not even at 4K yet. What does this resolution display actually add?

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
8k is the stupidest fucking thing and will be useless on any screen under 85" for the average consumer. Also there's zero 8k content and that's not going to change any time soon. It's a useless marketing talking point and nothing more. A 4k OLED is an infinitely better investment than any 8k display.

I remember hearing this exact argument, almost word for word, the year I bought my first 4K television. This and the notion that the jump from 1080p to 4k is not big, and that the majority of consumers wouldn't be able to see the difference between the two.

less

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't give a damn about 8k tvs but give them those 8k (32 inches or less) computer monitors. Well, at least ones better than the Dell 8k monitor out there.