• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I stopped playing Berseria about 75% into the game last year. Despite a promesing start to the game, I got bored by it in the 2nd half and I dropped it. I picked it up recently as a tune up for Tales of Vesperia.

And now I was reminded why I dropped it. The battle system is convulted and unnecessary complex. The equipment system is a mess (why do we need 100 different variants of one sword?) and you get thrown so much useless loot at you after each battle that it makes your inventory very cluttered. Bamco needs to clean up these things for their next Tales of game. It really shows that they have hit a roadblock when it comes to gameplay. A good cast and a good battle system is what makes Tales of games so much fun. The cast is okay in this one, but sadly most other things are medicore and the music is a step down from Zestiria.

I still finished up the game today, but I wasnt enjoying myself. Good thing ToVDE is looming around the corner.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'll gladly take the Vesperia remaster instead of all the newer or a brand new Tales game, because I do have lost faith in their ability to make as great and as polished JRPGs. So I am pretty excited to jump back into Vesperia in just a few weeks. Back then I've put over a hundred really fun hours in there and now there's even more stuff. :D

plebc

Jan 7, 2018
I pre-ordered Vesperia on Switch not even knowing what it is about, never played any of the games.

What am I in for? lol

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
What i wish for the next Tales of game is better dungeons (like srsly they fucking sucked since Xillia and it got worse with every entry), overworld and get rid of this awful equip system.

Asides from that Berseria was great.

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
I loved Xillia and Abyss. Haven't played Vesperia. But Zestiria was maddeningly mediocre and obtuse. Started Berseria on hearing the good reviews but quckly got bored (got past the start area, got bogged down somewhere on an island trying to get a ship). Just wasn't grabbing me for some reason.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Berseria but yeah, Vesperia is not only the best Tales of game but one of the best RPGs of all time.

OP
OP
SantaC

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Asides from that Berseria was great.
I dont know. Basically only the cast felt great with this game. So many areas that could been better.

I spent 50 hours on it, but thats very little time for me. Normally i invest 150-200 in a good jrpg. In this game I just said fuck it.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Berseria just fine. Zestiria was the one I hated. But Vesperia is probably one of my favorite Tales games.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I haven't played Zestiria yet, but after Berseria my faith is at an all time low with Tales. Cast was aight, but everything else is woooof.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yeah the equipment system was dumb and unecessary. The rest of the game to me was fine except that last dungeon can kiss my ass.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I got Berseria for Xmas. Not sure what I make of it yet. I haven't warmed to the cast like I usually do in older Tales games. I much prefer Symphonia, Abyss and Legendia over Xillia, Zestiria etc. I will keep on with Berseria but I feel the series is in decline.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
I'll concede that Vesperia is the better game overall, but Berseria's plot and cast are way better than Vesperia's.

I honestly only really like Yuri and Repede, while Rita is one of the most annoying characters in any RPG, let alone a Tales game.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Berseria was the first Tales of game I was able to complete front to back. The story actually interested me and I wanted to see how it all turned out. The combat was fun, and there were enough bells and whistles to keep me playing.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I personally really enjoyed Berseria more than I thought I would, but I'm thinking people are going to be in a rude awakening for some of Vesperia (especially once they get to those old school insane Tales missables or when the plot completely falls apart by Act 3)

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I love Berseria. The story is much more mature than what I expect from a Tales game. The gameplay is the mess it has always been, though.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i don't know why they cant just have a straightforward equipment or battle system anymore.
Every game feels like its trying to re-invent the wheel and it always sucks, FF is very guilty of doing it too. Like just equip something=stats go up, job done.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the only one I beat. I tried playing one on PS3 and I really disliked it.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea why Tales games made the equipment so convoluted. Berseria is likely my favorite Tales since Vesperia but it's much more off the back of the characters and story than actually playing it, the fields and dungeons all blending together really wore on me by the end.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
The most egregious issue with the modern games and the biggest area in need of improvement, IMO, is the dungeons. Symphonia nailed this - coming up with new uses for the Sorcerer's Ring with each new dungeon and giving you puzzles to solve. The dungeon environments are so lazy now - bland corridors to get you from point A to B. It's a huge point undermining the games and making them feel B-tier. It's such a decline from how things used to work I can't quite understand how it happened.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Though I liked the demo, expecting it to be largely more of the same is why I've held off on getting the full game. The story and cast seem interesting enough, but the gameplay, level design, and general traversal suggest that Tales is in need of a major reinvention. I couldn't have cared less about even bothering with Zestiria, but they clearly needed to keep Go Shiina on board from that as one of the composers.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I would love it if we got another strictly Team Destiny 3D game. Tales of Graces f was peak awesomeness when it came to its battle system IMO.

And since the battle system is the reason why I love Tales, it's easily my favorite game in the series.

I agree that things started taking a turn for the worse since Xillia. The battles I'm okay with, but I hate the big, open, boring areas between towns. If it was the exact same game, except all those areas were replaced with one world map, they would be soooooo much better in my eyes.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Berseria's combat system is as button mashy as it comes and the whole upgrade system is a bit unfocused but is still fun and better than Zestiria's.

Where Berseria truly shines is within its strong cast and solid story.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I pre-ordered Vesperia on Switch not even knowing what it is about, never played any of the games.

What am I in for? lol

A treat. :)

Vesperia is widely considered one of if not the best Tales series game. It is lengthy, you can put over 100 hours in it if you wish, it has a great story, it has a great cast of characters and an especially great hero or rather anti hero. It has a huge overworld to explore with many towns and places of interest, it has a great variety of dungeons with some puzzling, lots of side quests (which are however standard JRPG fare), costumes and customization. It's very rich in content. It's very anime, in its art style and in general, but not the cringey Xenoblade 2 kind of anime. ;)

Maybe take a look at this to get a better picture of what is awaiting you. It's an a bit deeper look/trailer, unfortunately only available in Japanese:

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Berseria is the best Tales game since Abyss. I've never understood the lavish praise for Vesperia. You could cut Vesperia in half and the games plot would improve tenfold.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of equipment, I just want them to go back to the Graces system. I really, really enjoyed the whole shop, synthesize, etc stuff they had going on there, and it's a shame they dropped it.

... Also wouldn't mind going back to Graces combat :P