• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
1. Aloy
2. Jill (from the Remake)
3. Ellie

Not just the best female characters, some of the best characters in general, for me.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina

Not only well written but also badass

(Aurelia Le Guin from Trails of Cold steel)

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
In the middle of AC Odyssey and I think kassandra is pretty compelling. Not done with the game but I wouldn't mind more of her story.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
I'm playing FF7R (never played the original) and I'm constantly surprised how female characters are, sadly, a step back compared to other games of this generation.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Man, being educated on these matters really is tough on some of you lot.
I have to admit, after reading through this topic and being very confused I went and did some research about the use of the word female and it was very eye-opening. I always thought 'female' was basically just the same thing as 'woman' except it could refer to girls (age-wise) as well. I had literally no clue there was any kind of negative connotation with it until today! So, somehow I actually learned something from this topic? I'll definitely be more careful about it in the future!

More on topic, I've always liked Garnet from FF9, Zelda in BOTW, and Makoto in Persona 5.

OP
OP

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Its interesting seeing people saying Jill from the remake, i wonder if its recency bias or if she's really that well done (having not played the game)

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Its interesting seeing people saying Jill from the remake, i wonder if its recency bias or if she's really that well done (having not played the game)

The new Jill is a badass, and confident and sassy in all the right amounts. I've seen plenty of incels call her ruined for *gasp* talking back to men, which, personally, I consider a seal of quality.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018

For me - it's that she's really well done, not recency bias. I was surprised how much I liked her. She's just badass in the best possible way, and still there are some really well done moments of weakness that make her relatable and believable. She's acted really well, both voice and motion capture, she looks stunning and the story (and her relationship with Carlos) really lets her shine. Yup, she's that good, that she joins my other two favourites, Aloy and Ellie, in the top three.

The only thing bad about all this is that now I really want more of her, and I'm not sure we're going to get it.

I've seen plenty of incels call her ruined for *gasp* talking back to men, which, personally, I consider a seal of quality.

I'm a man, and this is only makes her even more attractive and awesome in my eyes. As I mentioned earlier, I'm playing FF7R and the fact that all main female cast is being all giggly, cute and shy when talking to Cloud is really a let down.

Last edited:

Homura

ā–² Legend ā–²
Aug 20, 2019
Y'all, please don't just drop names. Specially with pedestrian ass names like Elena. At least specify where they're from lol

Anyway, may be a controversial choice but I found Edelgard from Fire Emblem Three Houses to be fascinating.
images
I agree as a villain.
Edelgard's writing in CF is Fates-tier though.

My vote goes to Luna (Virtue's Last Reward)

scrambledeggs

Apr 25, 2018
The ladies from Naughty Dog games (Chloe and Ellie in particular)

Sadie Adler from RDR2

Aloy and especially Elisabet Sobek from HZD (and a lot of the side characters as well)

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
I nominate pretty much every female character in Umineko tbh, with a special mention to Ange and Eva.

I just started Sky FC but Estelle is pretty great too.

These threads bring out two large groups of players - those who play western and those who play Anime games. I have no idea about half of the characters mentioned in this thread.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not anyone from Life is Strange, that's for sure.

I nominate pretty much every female character in Umineko tbh, with a special mention to Ange and Eva.

I just started Sky FC but Estelle is pretty great too.
Estelle is good in FC, but it's really in SC where she really becomes amazing as she goes through her character arc. I honestly wouldn't blame someone just starting FC for seeing her as a fairly generic archetypal anime character at the start

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain to me why the word female is wrong? Seems a lot of angry comments in this thread. edit: nvm, did my research. interesting.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
These threads bring out two large groups of players - those who play western and those who play Anime games. I have no idea about half of the characters mentioned in this thread.
I mean people can play both. Also funny that your distinction is western vs Anime but I see on your own list one of them is neither (Resident Evil isn't a western game lol)

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
I mean people can play both. Also funny that your distinction is western vs Anime but I see on your own list one of them is neither (Resident Evil isn't a western game lol)

That's why I changed from Japanese to "Anime", but forgot about changing the "western" word - I meant there is a subculture of anime gamers that is very strong, but almost exists in parallel to the other games. Nothing wrong with that, but I find it interesting how much these rarely overlap. Yes, you can play both, of course, but in threads like these (top/best something) it's usually either one or the other. Half the posts are about things I know, the other half is (to me) like it's from another planet. Absolutely don't mean anything negative about that, just an observation. I'm not implying that "I play better games" or anything :)

And yes, RE3 is a Japanese game, ofc, and it's great.

Oct 25, 2017
Why say females when you can say women?
"Well written men characters in video games."
Man/Men Woman/Women doesn't work like that

Especially when you have such a wide variety within those categories in video games.
Max and Chloe are a good example, they don't exactly fit the "Women" descriptive(heck I don't even consider most of the male FF characters men including Squall and Cloud)

Or does Man/Woman even get applied to nonhuman or aliens, honest question never really thought about it?

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Can someone explain to me why the word female is wrong? Seems a lot of angry comments in this thread. edit: nvm, did my research. interesting.

The word "female" isn't wrong, just like the word "shirt" isn't wrong. But calling shirt-wearing people "shirts" is a bit objectifying, don't you think? Just look at that shirt acting like they own the place! Same with "females".

Female characters - is fine.

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
Beth Wilder from Quantum Break.

My problem with Japanese developed characters (especially if the game is anime stylized) is that after a certain amount of games and animation my brain now automatically goes "oh it's this character". They often lean so heavily on tropes you know someone inside-out after their introductions.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Estelle is good in FC, but it's really in SC where she really becomes amazing as she goes through her character arc. I honestly wouldn't blame someone just starting FC for seeing her as a fairly generic archetypal anime character at the start
Agreed. At the start Estelle could be the passive anime cliche girl in love with the silent, deep boy with tragic past.
Sky SC shatters that cliche. She is so active and strong in a way I hadn't seen in other games before.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

She's a good character. Simplistic but that's more than good enough for what is essentially a cheesy horror game. She is entertaining and has a smug but genuine action hero attitude about her.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Elaine Marley from the Monkey Island series was pretty well written from what I remember.
Elaine Marley: Let's face it, LeChuck. You are an evil, foul-smelling, vile, codependent villain and that's just not what I'm looking for in a romantic relationship right now.

LeChuck: Darn yer riddles, ya saucy female! What d'ya mean?

ImNotAFroot

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah Estelle is fantastic.

Raquel Applegate from Wild Arms V

And Lenneth Valkyrie from Valkyrie Profile (Not that dumpster fire of a gacha game)