• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Score

• 1-2

Votes: 186 10.0%
  • 2-4

Votes: 241 13.0%
  • 4-6

Votes: 582 31.3%
  • 6-8

Votes: 565 30.4%
  • 8-10

Votes: 284 15.3%

• Total voters

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Callisto Protocol was the only thing that picked my interest.
That Ark 2 trailer dragged on for way too long, not gonna lie but i got a little excited thinking that it was new Turok game at the beginning.
I know it's not E3 but i really don't care about the awards,so i give it a 5/10.
I'm kinda unfair with geoff and his show for wanting something that doesn't seem to be focus of the event tbh.

Last edited:

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
5 or 6.

Too long
EU unfriendly like usual
Overhyped WORLD PREMIERS!!!! MUST WATCH!!!!!!!!!! While it's fucking nothing. Short teasers from Bioware is not enough.
Too much music like usual
Awards an after thought

It's well produced but it's just overhyped. The best part was watching it with Aris who is shitting on it.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
It was quite bad since all "big" reveals where CGI thus completely uninteresting. There was so much focus on big names presenting awards instead of actually showing exciting gameplay. And even winners showed 0 excitement while receiving their awards.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Everything was roadtrips and zombies.

Didn't mind the former.
Tchia, Season, Open Roads and Road 96 added to my wishlist.

Perfect Dark was a neat reveal, even though the game wasn't actually shown.

Crimson Desert is interesting. Was mystified by what it could be. For a while I was 90% sure it was Kingdom Come 2. But starting with the one guy's pointy elf ears, it gradually just became wackier and wackier until the guy started RKO'ing people and flying dragons. Seems like it takes inspiration from all over. Including wrestling. Because of the high-pitched cadence of the combat sounds, I reckoned it was Japanese. Dragon's Dogma? No? Then I thought maybe it's just inspired by Japanese games. Might be Korean? And then it was. So that was a fun thing to try to figure out and then feel smart about.

Ark and the Furious. Ark seems like it's mostly about being some kind of janky MMO survival thing, so I'm not actually interested in it. But that reveal sure was a ride.
And the reveal of the cast for the animated show. As they continued unrolling names I eventually just started laughing. Malcolm McDowell. With Russell Crowe and Vin Diesel.

Christopher Nolan is now on record calling Animal Crossing a true masterwork in immersive storytelling.
Put in on the box.

I was never particularly involved in the awards part as I haven't been particularly into any 2020 games I've played. But happy for the people who won.
Can't decide if it was funny or apt that they added crowd reaction noises. Probably both. It'd probably feel weird without it?
Smoothly produced overall. I couldn't really tell the difference between what was actually live and what wasn't. All of it? Nothing?

Some pacing/length issues as things seemed a bit stacked towards the first half, and the last thing was EA just going "this game you know will exist at some point, will exist and be shown at some point" which isn't terribly exciting for a last thing.

But overall I felt content having sat up for this show.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
I am surprised Sony mentioned TGAs but no "big" reveal was made. Surprised to see the omission of BotW2 and Bayonetta 3 as well.

Why are you surprised? They mentioned TGAs because they had a lot of 1st party titles up for awards.

They didn't say they were going to announce anything.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I would say a 6. It was way too long, and too many premiers and commerials about games I'm not really excited about.

Plus - sign of the times - about half of the show was concentrated on "content creators", streamers and esports, which isn't my thing at all.

Great production values though, especially for it being all remote.

Ironically, it's about where the Spike awards were years ago, which made Geoff switch the format back then.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Started strong but then it felt like the advertising fully took over the second half of the show

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It was the usual formula of a lively pre-show full of things that seemed too important to be in the pre-show followed by an early peak of exciting announcements in the first half hour of the actual show and then a long, boring slog to the finish.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
It was a middling showing announcement wise, which I would be OK with if the Awards themselves were given proper value, but here it felt like 10% Award Show, 30% actual announcements and 60% commercials.

I've always defended Keighley because he undeniably has a tough task on his plate, he wants his award show to be watched, viewers largely tune in for announcements, he can only get the announcements by giving them the spotlight and he can only get the budget to make the show happen on if he puts a billion commercials in. So I recognize that my perfect TGA isn't possible (basically, 95% Awards with each of them getting properly introduced, one or two bombshell announcements tops) since I'd be one of 12 viewers, but still.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
I'd give it an 8.

None of the reveals were big to me but all of what was shown was good enough to keep my interest.

Before this one, it usually was a sea of highs and lows where I despised most of it and liked only a few, with it being mostly a waste if time.
But this year I felt I was moderately interested throughout the show.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
All things considered, production wise this was better than what they have been doing before. "Offers" were kept to a minimum compared to what it used to be, pacing while still could improve a lot felt a lot better. Revealwise probably one of the lesser years but the show itself gets better if that makes much sense.

The accesability award - Great addition!

Well done Geoff and team!

Still some gripes though

SIM / Strategy games - How does this make any sense
Too many cinematic trailers still
Ending with a gametrailer that's probably is like 4+ years away.. dont get it

And on a personal level, I would have wanted to see a game that appealed to me like Smash DLC, Mass Effect do to others.. it's been a long time since a trailer made me get all giddy :) That's not on the show though but just me.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was pretty great. Kudos to all the production team for pulling it off, it still looked very professional despite the adverse conditions this year provided.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I chose the 8 on the 6/8..lots of trailers,some gameplay,good pace and most of the winners where fine to me,no one got robbed per say,except for maybe Elden Ring ;P...considering it's 2020,yeah good job overall.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I thought it was really good for a pandemic. PD, ME, etc. my only issue was that the accepting of the awards was weird but that's 2020

Mercury_Sagit

Aug 4, 2020
5/10 for me, somehow this one seems even more similar to a commercial rather than an award show than previous years.

Many awards are given out like obligation rather than celebrations, with no nuance, no context, no rationale, nothing.

While I appreciate Geoff's effort to hold the show during the pandemic, I'd hosnesly prefer awards this year to be announced in press release. At least they will have more chance to breathe instead of being overwhelmed by trailers, which are most of the time CGI with limited gameplay montage.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Awards section was better this year I thought, though pacing didn't quite work still especially in the middle section. I think it could of been half the length for a better show.

Some of the trailers here where def too long like Crimson Desert and a few too many ad sections (which a shorter show would help with).

Would rate a 6 as still had a couple of good announcements.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Perfect Dark finally being announced is delightful to me. I've had a hard time getting it out of my brain, which is just running rampant with speculation as to how it'll actually play. Regardless, the IP has a very high standing in my mind despite me only enjoying one of the two games that have released within the series, and really, really finding Zero disappointing (even at the time of its release in 2005). Still, I've craved a return of Perfect Dark, I'm kind of excited by the reports that it's a third-person stealth-action game. In an ideal world, to me they just kinda take heavy inspiration from Metal Gear Solid V but utilize dense urban environments instead of open natural ones, and tweak gameplay to compensate for the increased amount of obstacles, and generally favor a vertical level design as well -- that would be one of my absolute dream games come true. ALAS, I am not necessarily casting my own desires on what the actual final game is -- I'm just wicked excited that Perfect Dark is finally officially coming back in some form and I'm just very eager to see and hear more.

Back 4 Blood was super cool looking. Unfortunately, after having time to think about it, I don't think my adult life will really lend that game the same level of stature that the Left 4 Dead games held when I was in college and could reliably call on 2 or 3 buddies at any given time I wanted to play Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2. If I had that lifestyle still, I'd be through the roof excited about it, but as is, I'm not so sure -- online gaming's historical toxicity is a thing that I can no longer tolerate so the idea of matchmaking with randos is completely out of the question. The game looks wicked cool, I just know I'll never be able to play it in its ideal fashion.

And Crimson Desert was surprisingly neat looking. I'm not 100% sold on it just yet but it seemed... very fun, and visually enticing (hoping some performance issues get sorted out by the time the game actually releases though).

That about covers my own really interest in the reveals part of the show, and all three of those games were rather front-loaded. I'm curious how the next Mass Effect game is going to shape up but I'm not terribly enamored with that particular teaser.

For the awards side, it was ... okay. I'm not upset about any of the particular wins, but there is an inherent loss of a sense of ceremony from the pandemic-related safety measures. I would not have had it any other way all things considering and don't blame Geoff or any of the nominees or presenters for its kinda "superficial" feel this year, but aside from devs of Among Us getting a bit emotional during one of their wins (I believe the multiplayer game of the year), I didn't feel like it really had any super special-feeling moments, even if the nominations and wins still do hold the intention of being a gesture of celebration and praise. The awards side seems to always do better with crowds, with the opportunity to see everyone gathered and sharing in the ceremony of it all, and again, I'm not suggesting that anyone should have ignored the pandemic and done a gathering anyway, but I just felt a certain lack of pageantry that's just inherent to the present situation when things have to shift in that manner and it was just okay, I feel.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Enjoyed it. I don't really care about the awards themselves but if you even just break the show down into a collection of trailers it was a lot of fun.

Would also throw out a huge congratulations (and big props) to Geoff and everyone there for pulling that show together during the pandemic. It couldn't have been easy but the show was basically flawless on a production level. Still felt like a big deal despite no audience etc.

Last edited:

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A LOT of trailers,

liked it takes two, returnal but outside of that i mean.... Nothing that tickles my fancy?

Until I can see Mass effect gameplay or Running in engine stuff, i'm not that interested in concept trailers.

Perfect dark, I'll hold my judgement when I see more.

The awards themselves? Happy with the choices, sad that Alanah didn't win content creator. She's a badass, funny.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's still too bloated.

Like at first, it seemed like it could be 1 Hour, 1.5 Hours tops with all the front-loaded info and not many awards.

Plus, they threw 5 awards out like nothing.

But it's still 3 hours long, which is tiring.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I have some ethical issues with this not being the first time games with horrible crunch stories have won "Best Direction".

KeyChainDude

Oct 28, 2017
The show itself was pretty good, they didn't waste too much time on stuff people didn't care about (except for the awful Pokemon thing) and focused on a lot of trailers. I like it.

Too bad the games themselves were not up my alley, save for a few smaller ones like Fist and It Takes Two. I still have a very positive overall impression though.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
Seemed to be better than previous years? But it could be that perfect dark and collisto protocol got me hyped as hell, was happy with those two announcements alone.

Oct 4, 2020
Scotland
Thought the first hour or so was really good and then it just tanked in the last hour and a half. Felt like I was watching YouTube ads for half of it. I was also getting more annoyed by Geoff's insistence on reading the awards at double speed, feels so disingenuous.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I was too invested in the Disney's Investor Livestream to really care so I got the TL;DR and I give it a 4.

I'm personally not a fan of Sephiroth's inclusion in Smash Bros and the Perfect Dark reboot was a CG trailer. So glad I didn't waste my time watching this.

LukeA

Dec 28, 2018
I just wanna see hard working devs get recognised for their work and win awards and it's just a huge cringe-fest marketing event.

Who cares about famous people presenting awards? It doesn't bring it calibre or credibility.

Gross.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Honestly most of the reveals hit for me this year. Almost every one was intriguing in some way.

8/10 for me

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a fan.

The commercials being interrupted by more commercials.
The many trailers that are just no-gameplay videos for a game that's barely begun production, that will probably come out 2-3 years after they say it will, if it doesn't get cancelled outright.
The rushing through the actual awards segments.
The reluctance to celebrate actual people who work in game development. You can't let someone from every winning game give a victory speech?
The heavy reliance on celebrities from other mediums to try to lend legitimacy.
The Most Anticipated Game award. Can you imagine how much The Oscars would be mocked if they had a Most Anticipate Movie award?
The Best Mobile Game nominees looking like they were chosen by people who look down on mobile game and then the winner being a game that didn't even come out this year.
The huge focus on eSports with a million awards while entire popular genres are ignored.

I feel like it should either go full-on E3-style announcement show (it's already most of the way there) or it should go full-on awards show (which in and of itself would be a huge marketing video for the industry, even without any announcements), but the hybrid they've got going on now is embarrassing.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
It was as good as I expect an end of the year awards show to be. Props to Geoff for pulling it off and somehow staying enthusiastic about games despite *waves arms around* everything.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it for the most part. Perfect Dark was huge for me, and the Mass Effect trailer also got me. Also considering they were able to pull this off during COVID...hats off to Geoff and the whole team.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Solid 6.5. Good nominees, decent slate of winners, nothing too special on the announcement front. Sephiroth in Smash Ultimate is neat though.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not gonna give them any credit for getting Nintendo to let them debut a Nintendo Direct there. If anything that is a testament to how big Directs have become.

In a year where big gaming events were rare to have a large portion of the world premieres be titles that would feel right at home in an indie showcase is kind of disappointing.

Adding to that the disappointing game showcases for Xbox Series and that tells me Covid really left this year barren. Sony was able to snap up big reveals like GTAV port, RE8 and FF16 but that was it really.

It was a rough year all around and they did the best they could. A lot of publishers probably don't want to repeat a Elden Ring, Bayonetta 3 and Babylon Fall and announce too early.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Too long, too many worthless cg trailers, none of the games that people actually wanted to see were there despite the usual overhype, every game was either a coop multiplayer shooter or a cartoon indie experience with no gameplay shown, the awards were either thrown away like trash within two seconds or delivered by Hollywood celebrities with no consistency, the categories make no sense with too many genres ignored...

As ever year so far, it had potential, but it's still neither a good E3-like announcement event nor a decent award show.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
As always, if it wasnt for the fact i was watching with my friends, it would be unbearable. Boring ass show.

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The show had excellent production value but was lacking exciting content. It Takes Two was the only thing that looked like fun.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
The huge focus on eSports with a million awards while entire popular genres are ignored.
This is probably the part of the whole thing that confuses me the most about The Game Awards - they obviously want to court the e-sports crowd by having multiple awards dedicated to this part of gaming, and yet all the awards got stuffed in a sub-2 minute awards bonanza and then e-sports are never really mentioned again. I'm not into e-sports but I feel like you really have to lean into it if you're going to focus heavily on them in the actual awards.