• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I sure as shit am not going to my grandparents' Thanksgiving or Christmas this year. Those get-togethers involve around 30 people usually (big, catholic family), and half of them share covid is fake stuff on facebook

Oct 25, 2017
I was working Walmart as a 2nd job, which I quit back in March when this all started. Not working Walmart means I get Thanksgiving off...and I don't really have anyone to spend Thanksgiving with. Ah well...sleep-in day

Draenoth

Dec 10, 2018
My wife's family was considering doing it in a big church hall, but there was no way we would attend. Big groups together indoors this winter is just a bad idea (especially so in my state where cases are spiking like crazy and likely will be for a while). We eventually convinced them that it was a bad idea, and now we're all going to have dinners at our respective houses and just do a Zoom call with everyone.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
My brothers family doesnt give a shit about covid. They go to the mall, thrift shopping, movies, etc.. every weekend. Im sure they will still try to have one and get everyone to show up. Not going if they do.

Tan

Oct 27, 2017
Good on your family for playing it safe.
Dreading what my family will be doing come christmas, they seem to have completely lost interest in staying safe around family members.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If it's just my folks and siblings, I'm down. If they want to invite the extended family, miss me with that shit, mail me a slice of the bird and a few deviled eggs.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Then again who needs smelly primate humans? It would be much better if everyone was connected to the matrix and gave me all your delicious bio-electric energy...

I mean sorry to hear that you won't be having arguments with each other.

Schwarzbier

Nov 14, 2017
New Jersey
Yeah, it sucks. Since my Dad moved to assisted living my wife and I have driven out to visit him and have dinner with him and it's very sad having to accept we can't go see him. My wife and I had our daughter in June and due to Covid my Dad has never met her in person and it doesn't look like that's happening anytime soon. He's 85 and thankfully in good health but you never know what might happen and this is his first and probably only biological grandchild.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what's going on for Thanksgiving this year. It's just my dad's side of the family & about...20ish people, I wanna say? The location alternates each year but usually at my uncle's since his is the largest house & easiest/closest for everyone.

Christmas is usually just with my sister, my dad, his wife & her kids, & sometimes going to his wife's parents for a meal. This year, he'll be in Arizona to spend it with his mom, which makes it easier to spend it with my girlfriend since it's our first Christmas together & I think all she's gonna do is go visit her brother's family with her mom for a meal, so it shouldn't be more than 6 people including myself.

Really sorry to anyone who isn't able to spend holidays with others.

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
Wife and I are trying to figure out what to do too.

Her family has large get togethers and go out all the time. Mine doesn't. But we're thinking of not attending and holidays through the end of the year and maybe just trying to meet with each of our sets of parents at least once, at least two weeks apart from each other, sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

It's tough for sure. Fall to Christmas is my favorite time of year , like many others, and we just bought our first house and want to have people over but we also want to see our family for years to come. Im thinking we will just see people over webcam instead.

Maybe we need to just have a massive Era Thanksgiving and Christmas Zoom/Teams/Skype celebration lol.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Yup we already know we are going to have a smaller Christmas this year which my family members that were told were totally on board (thankfully).

Thanksgiving isn't getting disrupted since it's always just the immediate family so it was always small for us.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
We live on the opposite side of the country from our families, so we don't see them most years for Thanksgiving anyways. Or Christmas tbh.
We had planned to go for Christmas, but that is obviously cancelled.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Not worth losing loved ones over a holiday dinner. This is the life we lead now unfortunately and have to wait for more competent leadership to dig us out of this nightmare.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Remember people, keeping the dinner small with people you haven't been exposed to in a while means that your bubble is their bubble and the reverse. So while you may be thinking "Oh adding Uncle John to the dinner keeps us at 6 people" but you're effectively adding John + his entire bubble in terms of exposure to your bubble. So if Uncle John hangs out with a bunch of people in other scenarios, your now more exposed. And reverse, he brings your bubble back to his.

Honestly, for the rest of the year and into the new year, people should figure out the 6-10 most important people in their lives and all of you should create a bubble together. You may need to skip some people so others can have people in their bubble.

Essentially you should get used to seeing the same people for 3-6 months.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I'm not doing anything for Thanksgiving or Christmas this year. Living in NY now and don't feel like doing the 2 week quarantine again once I get back. Also just don't really feel like traveling 4 states away and back just for a few days. I worked on Thanksgiving last year and it was... an interesting experience to say the least. I was the only one in for 70% of the day and mostly just did shopping and stayed on Discord calls. Then I went home, heated up some TV dinners, go hammered and marathoner through Attack on Titan Season 3 pt. 2 and was blown away. Might do the same for Season 4 coming up

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Staying home with my partner. We normally have it with my in-laws and they are Trumpers so....it all works out!

machine

Oct 25, 2017
I've spent Christmas and Thanksgiving alone for the last few years since my folks passed. My siblings live too far away and my nephews that live nearby spend the holidays with their mom. I'm not about to spend the holidays with my brother's ex-wife.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
My parents just called and cancelled as well.

Looks like my Thanksgiving will involve sitting at my desk alone while eating some oatmeal and watching Youtube videos.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanksgiving is on here. My fiance's parents live on a ranch that is 45 minutes from even tiny towns. It's pretty much the safest place on earth from pandemics and we can drive there from our place so I'm not too worried.

Prior to this and doing the same thing last year, I spent 8 consecutive Thanksgivings alone, so ironically it will be more social than usual this year.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I hate Thanksgiving anyway, but I know a lot of people use it to see family.

For those of us actually doing what we're supposed to do, it's going to be a long winter and holiday season. For those that aren't, they will continue to have giant parties and get together like nothing is wrong.

Dec 21, 2017
No clue.

My mom hasn't spoken to me in months. She's a huge Trump supporter and i'm not, so it wouldn't surprise me if she chose to not do anything this year based on that alone. It wouldn't surprise me if she did.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Thanks, Obama.

We don't do much anyway. Family has broken apart as my wife has lost some close family members and their families have moved away. It's really just the people in this house. Well just cook food like we did at Easter and all eat together.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
No clue.

My mom hasn't spoken to me in months. She's a huge Trump supporter and i'm not, so it wouldn't surprise me if she chose to not do anything this year based on that alone. It wouldn't surprise me if she did.

I'm really really hoping my extended in-laws don't come but since they're divorcing the main Trump pusher may need to get out of town and show up on our doorstep. Him and his brother can sit on the back porch and yell about liberals and black folks and I'll just leave.

After stuffing of course.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't heard anything, but I'm not going and putting my parents at risk. They're in their mid 60s and in good shape, but still. We can have a Zoom get together like we did on Easter.

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017
Both my and my wife's families have completely imploded over the last couple years, so it'll just be the two of us. Which I'm happy for, I really can't deal with obligatory social interactions. It is a tiny bit sad about the family situations, though.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think plans have been made yet. If my family does it small scale I'll go otherwise it's not worth it.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
You got plenty of time to organize virtual holidays.
Yes, it is not the same, but it is better nothing at all.

Get the elders connect now with video and or audio. Even something simple as a speaker phone.

Schedule days and time when people can get together online. Be flexible and have multiple times with fewer people if necessary.

Build holiday care packages:
Write letters, cards
Family photos
Family videos
Kids arts and crafts
Mail-able holiday treats
Make your own holiday recipes (write up your favorite holiday dishes and included items for the receiver to make them)

Favor hand made and personalized items over store bought one to make up for not being there in person. Purchased items can be personalized with letter detailing a memory associated with it.

Also remember, alot of people this season are low on funds due to Covid related job lose. Make it clear to everyone store bought gifts are not a necessity for this holiday season. Set a price limit for those who demand to by gifts.

Might want to favor generic gift cards over items so families tight on cash can buy house hold necessities.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
This year we should be doing Thanksgiving in Nebraska with my in-laws but we've already agreed that traveling is not safe or smart this year. I've told my parents that my wife, daughter and I will do Thanksgiving and Christmas together with them as long we agree to some ground rules.

1. Don't hang out with other people ahead of time. We never do, but they do, so we're thinking 10 days at the very least.
2. Probably going to suggest we get tested a few days before.

The extended family can do their own thing, I'm not willing to expand it outside this small group of five people.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
We're getting together with Mrs. McKnight's parents (Mrs McKnight, our son, her parents, and myself). We all follow the same protocols and stay they hell away from everyone else.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I've rarely gone to big thanksgiving gatherings, I'm pretty indifferent towards them.

This year I'll probably get Whataburger like I have for the past 5 or so years.