• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Mine wasn't fixed either - he will be in a couple weeks though.
rZrwTE6.jpg

Mandarin being boss.

Like Mandarin, probably someone's pet who either escaped or was dumped. Mine was scooped up with a feral colony.

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
A not-uncommon way to become a cat owner. You have been chosen! Good on you for not only taking him in, but by getting him properly checked by a vet.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the best and unique things about cats. My family got adopted by a pregnant stray back when I was about 4 years old, we kept her and one of the other kittens and had 20 years of wonderful cat life as a result. They're both long since passed away but I'll never forget either of them.

I would get a cat in a second if my wife was down with it.

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like the one I found, was also a kitten, black, and not chipped, but very friendly to people for some reason.. I couldn't take care of him but found him a home with a staff member from Uni and the kids ended up naming him Batman.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Aw, he's a slimmer version of my boy--you protect and cherish that lad!

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats, Damaniel. That's a good thing you did.

While Sephy being friendly might be evidence of him having a previous owner, him using a litter box isn't. Most cats will use them instinctively, without training. Thirteen years ago - well, almost fourteen now - I took in a litter of feral kittens after their mother got killed in traffic. They were only about two weeks old, so I was expecting to have to help them with defecation and such like their mother would have, but I tried putting them in a litter box and all five of them knew what to do right away.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
Looks like a Bombay or some sort of Burmese cross. There's plenty of 'not perfect' Bombays in shelters. They're a friendly bunch and will get quite attached to you. Most dog-like amongst cat-breeds. Easy to become lapcats and quite vocal and smart. You're in for some fun times. Most have a particular quirk. They are active house panthers so make sure you play with them. Some of the easily trainable types and therefore often well-behaved.

I've got a couple of them myself.

As for black cats in general, they are often the most found at shelters but also often adopted because of the high shelter population and cheaper adoption costs (ratio of adoption skews to other kinds but numbers skew to them due to the sheer volume in shelters). If people realised that many of them tend to be Bombays or Burmese mix and their personalities they'd not be in shelters and be in homes tbqh.

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love black cats. My wife and I were planning to adopt one in a few months after we moved, but I guess the right cat came early.
Great. Only real downside is that black hair is really visible when your cat sheds, but tbh that's a problem for all pets. Except hairless ones I guess.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's amazing!! Congratulation to the cat for finding an owner! 💜

And Damaniel , congrats on finding a fluffy friend. It's quite a beautiful kit.

vainya

Dec 28, 2017
New Jersey, USA
Congrats! It's highly possible he was part of a litter and was abandoned but he could have just been a friendly feral. He's so cute. I'm waiting on my future cat to find me like this.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Yes. They get abandoned a lot and are hard to adopt out. When my sister adopted her panther, the fees were markedly lower than for other cats to entice people to adopt. It's heartbreaking.

Yep, and it's really unfortunate because black cats (I know I'm generalizing, but...) tend to be sweeter than a lot of other types. They're great little pets.

Kurumi

Oct 26, 2017
Aww look at that little panther! Black cats are adorable. Got a black kitten last month and I love him.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Cute!

Be sure to get a scratching post ASAP and introduce him to it.
Your furniture will thank you.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Glad got it young. Hopefully has a groovy life living with you; so many abandoned cats out there (I take them in when I can as do family; the older they are they have get health issues though). Just lost a cat and been thinking I don't want another but if I saw one in need outside, totally gaining another cat.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Thank you for being this way OP.
I took in a female cat who showed up on my balcony chair one day.

Way too nice and loving to have not been owned then most likely abandoned.
Now she runs my apartment.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Congratulations and welcome to the club!
www.resetera.com

CatEra |OT| Share your pics, read our tips, ask any questions OT

This is a thread by and for cat lovers! You can also find its sister, dog-themed thread here. CAT TIPS: Keep food and water as separate from each other as possible, because cats associate proximity of food with the fact that the water may be tainted (dead animals rotting in it), and tend to...

That was my thought too, but the fact he started immediately using a litterbox and was being so sociable made me think me must have been an indoor kitty for at least a little while.

Not actually a guarantee of being in a home before; cats automatically use litter boxes when available, even stray cats just introduced to the concept, or nearly newborn cats. They instinctively look for a soft sand or litter surface to dig before doing their stuff because that's what they do in nature to hide the smell from predators.

The big marker that he's been, if not in a home, at least around friendly humans, is that he looks for their company instead of fearing them. Cats are socialized with humans up to a few months after being born; if they haven't had contact with humans by then, they will normally avoid them. Of course, he could have lived in a neighbourhood where everyone was friendly to him, so that's not a guarantee either.

We also tossed around the idea of calling him Toothless, just because his eyes are so yellow-green (the pictures don't do it justice), but figured that was too cliche. )

Call him what you really want to; you won't get many opportunities of having such a perfectly fitting name. :) Would you believe in over 500 cats being adopted, nobody ever named their cat Toothless (on the other hand, I lost count of the Simbas)? I guess it's a bit long and, well, unflattering if you don't know the reference, but you could nickname him Toothy. Then get a white-haired call and call him Sephy, win-win. :)

Last edited:

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Aw, looks just like my guy does!

Ironically, my dude came in a similar way, that being completely unexpected and unplanned. Mom went to feed the barn cats and see's this tiny, probably should have still been with his mom, kitten near the food bowl. Brings the little guy and we decide to make him a housecat. Week later, we see a missing pet poster describing this cat to a tee, clearly the poster was made by a younger child, so we couldn't ignore this. We call the number, guy answers, gets pretty freaked out when we say we think we have his cat, said he'd call us back. That was 14 years ago now, so I don't think he's calling back. I ain't complaining, I got the GOAT cat.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Once I have an actual place and the Dane mellows out a little more I wouldn't mind having a cat again. He grew up with my folks orange tabby for his first 8 months or so(it ran away when my sis was house sitting )

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
You are lucky the cat picked you as it's human.

I have 2 black cats (one from a rescue, the other just showed up at my house one day), and I love these little panthers.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Cats kinda innately know how to use a litter box. So he using one isn't an indication that he's previously been a house kitty.

Hes gorgeous and I'm glad he found you :)

OP
OP
Damaniel

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Looks like a Bombay or some sort of Burmese cross. There's plenty of 'not perfect' Bombays in shelters. They're a friendly bunch and will get quite attached to you. Most dog-like amongst cat-breeds. Easy to become lapcats and quite vocal and smart. You're in for some fun times. Most have a particular quirk. They are active house panthers so make sure you play with them. Some of the easily trainable types and therefore often well-behaved.

He definitely fits the bill for a Bombay:

- black whiskers
- black fur
- black footpads
- oddly heavy for his size. I weighed him earlier and he weighs nearly 10 pounds! He hardly looks half that size.

We've already been buying some toys and we're going to make sure he gets plenty of activity time. My wife and I watch a lot of the Kitten Academy Youtube channel, so I've learned a lot about all the different things there are out there for cats to play with.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
He definitely fits the bill for a Bombay:

- black whiskers
- black fur
- black footpads
- oddly heavy for his size. I weighed him earlier and he weighs nearly 10 pounds! He hardly looks half that size.

We've already been buying some toys and we're going to make sure he gets plenty of activity time. My wife and I watch a lot of the Kitten Academy Youtube channel, so I've learned a lot about all the different things there are out there for cats to play with.

Sounds perfect. Oh and btw, they generally get attached to one member of the family more than the others. And don't really like being left along for long. You'll find that they know when you plan to leave and will do what they can to prevent you from leaving. Also if you're okay with it they will also crawl under blankets during colder weather once they're friendly. They're the best of the asian new breeds retaining the Burmese traits with the local domestic short hairs, there's a slight difference between British and American Bombays but not enough for them to be differentiated as species.

They do get the eye goop sometimes, so make sure you wipe that when you see them. A tsp of olive oil every now and then is good to keep their fur shiny but they do get high off of it.

Also don't forget they are vocal, so you can 'talk' to them. And a distinctly loud purr.