• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
For the last couple of weeks, we've had a stray cat showing up, hanging out between our fence and the neighbor's fence. He obviously didn't have anywhere to go, but he wasn't a feral kitty either. About 4 or 5 nights ago, he decided to come into our backyard.

RFO1ox8.jpg

Based on how he acted, he was obviously owned at some point - he'd come over and sit on the swing, let you pet him and he'd sit there purring the entire time. It was pretty clear he had nowhere to go though - if we went in, he'd start meowing and asking to come in, and eventually he started scratching at the door once in a while. If we were outside at any point during the day, he was always nearby - either between the fences or in the yard. He was definitely a little scrawny and very, very hungry so we started feeding him, and left him a little box to sleep in the back if he wanted.

jfUUJV7.jpg

We did some posting on Nextdoor and asked around, and nobody recognized him. We have a few neighborhood cats, but they're all well known and cared for - this cat wasn't one of them. After a couple days, we decided to scoop him up and take him to be checked for a chip. Nothing. I'm not surprised though - he's only a few months old and hasn't even been neutered, so he's probably never been to a vet. We weren't really set up to take in a cat, but we decided to do it anyway.

qxuZhhw.jpg

We brought him in yesterday, and while he was a bit nervous about being in the new environment, he's taken to it very well. We learned that he's actually litter box trained, so it's clear that he belonged to someone - but my attempts to find that 'someone' haven't turned up anything - no lost cat posters anywhere; no reports on the local lost kitty sites or the county animal shelter site. It's possible he's part of a larger litter that got kicked out when his owners couldn't care for him anymore, but we're not sure. Our county animal control services aren't taking in strays due to COVID, but I wouldn't want to send him to a shelter like that anyway.

For now, we've made an appointment to get him looked over, vaccinated and neutered (though my vet can't see him for a few weeks, sadly), but he seems to be pretty well settled in. He actually came in our room and slept at our feet last night, so I guess we have a cat now.

mmJvxev.jpg

(We've decided to call him 'Sephy' - like Sephiroth, but shorter. We also tossed around the idea of calling him Toothless, just because his eyes are so yellow-green (the pictures don't do it justice), but figured that was too cliche. )

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
What a cute baby, congratz OP. Welcome to the cat master race!

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
black cats are often abandoned for stupid reasons. good on you OP, it's a beautiful cat.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I love black cats, they always look so handsome and smart.

The fact he's not chipped or neutered probably speaks to him not being owned by any one I'd say.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
What a beautiful panther!
I love seeing posts of black cats getting adopted, since they get neglected so much. I'm so glad this story has a happy ending. Good on you for everything you did, OP!

SeaSilver

Banned
Dec 28, 2020
Super cute kitty! šŸ˜» I love those little black cats.

Good for you doing the right thing, looking for the owner, taking care of the cat in the meantime, vet, etc... Hope the new kitty works out for you :)

OP
OP
Damaniel

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I love black cats, they always look so handsome and smart.

The fact he's not chipped or neutered probably speaks to him not being owned by any one I'd say.

That was my thought too, but the fact he started immediately using a litterbox and was being so sociable made me think me must have been an indoor kitty for at least a little while. He's so young though, so I have no idea how long that would have been for.

He's still pretty scared when it comes to noises - he probably wasn't sleeping very well having to fend for himself in a neighborhood with loud cars and the occasional coyote known to show up. He's definitely getting better about that now since my house isn't very loud, and there's not much in terms of outdoor sounds coming in since our house is so well insulated.

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
(We've decided to call him 'Sephy' - like Sephiroth, but shorter. We also tossed around the idea of calling him Toothless, just because his eyes are so yellow-green (the pictures don't do it justice), but figured that was too cliche. )

Just wanted to tell you that you're a super good person!

Sephy clearly took a liking to you and trusted you enough to want to stay around.

There are a ton of kitties needing a place and a family so i am glad you did the right thing and decided to keep him! Congratulations my friend on getting a new life partner

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Congratulations! And yup, that's exactly how it works OP. What cat wants, cat gets.

Also, as a black cat owner, welcome to the void! They can be tough to photograph, but they are the most affectionate, loving cats I've ever known.

Love the name too. He's super cute. Enjoy your new friend :)

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
He's beautiful. Long time ago I adopted a stray that someone had abandoned. He, Captain Crunch, was such a great cat. You did a good thing.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
ŠœŠ¾ŃŠŗŠ²Š°
That was my thought too, but the fact he started immediately using a litterbox and was being so sociable made me think me must have been an indoor kitty for at least a little while. He's so young though, so I have no idea how long that would have been for.

He's still pretty scared when it comes to noises - he probably wasn't sleeping very well having to fend for himself in a neighborhood with loud cars and the occasional coyote known to show up. He's definitely getting better about that now since my house isn't very loud, and there's not much in terms of outdoor sounds coming in since our house is so well insulated.
Most cats will actually instinctively gravitate toward a litter box (or a natural equivalent), usually just showing a cat where the litter box is is enough for them to use it. It can be evidence of them having had previous owners but isn't necessarily proof of it.

Really beautiful cat though, you lucked out that he chose to adopt.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Glad you knew to include pics, OP.

Only two things in this world are certain: death and cat taxes.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
He was fixed so he could have been part of a local shelter's catch and release program. They usually adopt out the friendly ones tho. I just adopted a stray although he wasn't fixed so who knows?

Hazmat

Banned
Dec 3, 2020
Cute kitty! He may not have belonged to anybody, they instinctively use litter boxes because they want to bury their waste, and he looks like he's about the age his mama would have chased him off. Doesn't really matter though, he has a home now!

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
He's a sweetheart. You've been chosen OP, no backing out now.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
I love this type of story. Last place I lived had a black neighborhood cat - he was taken care of by a dedicated owner but was the most social cat I've ever known and greatly enhanced my life just visiting me when I'd come and go.

You're a good person.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
The pandemic has put a lot of pets in position with owners who really shouldn't have ever owned one to begin with, and end up getting abandoned as a result.

Glad this little fella was able to find a home with you now.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Seems like he really missed human interaction and was previously an inside cat.