• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Omoi

May 7, 2019
Did you have to take finasteride post transplant, or are the transplanted follicles DHT resistant? Can't seem to find a straight answer on this anywhere

transplanted follicles are DHT resistant, but any original ones surrounding them aren't so whether or not you continue taking fin is up to you on whether you want to coninue losing whatever was there before the transplant too.

And hey OP, at least you're not balding and also trans :P Just a real shit hand I've had dealt for me. Luckily the drugs I take nowadays mean it's stopped pretty much for good, but I'll likely never get what I've already lost back, which is bad enough I'll need to use a wig for the rest of my life.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finasteride is very well tolerated, and also pretty cheaply obtainable even if insurance doesn't cover it.

Make sure to talk to your doctor about this too. Not every case of hair loss is pattern hair loss. They can best advise you on your options.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Did you have to take finasteride post transplant, or are the transplanted follicles DHT resistant? Can't seem to find a straight answer on this anywhere
The doctor recommended it, but it's not *necessary*; the transplanted follicles are generally DHT resistant, since they come from the back and sides. But you still have some "normal" follicles up top, too. I didn't have any side effects so I take it, it's nbd.

Dec 31, 2017
That's not bad at all. You can possibly stop it with finasteride and minoxidil still. Much easier to stop the loss than cause regrowth though.

Grenouille

Nov 26, 2017
how long were you on fin before you noticed effects? I'm on year three and still doing well, but I have wondered about this

Also, were you able to maintain hair gains with other treatments once you discontinued?
I had lost count, around 3 or 4 years I think.
I kept using minoxidil, but 4 months after stopping with fin I started losing hair again and now I look like the OP or worse.
But anyway, I should talk to a doctor

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
I had lost count, around 3 or 4 years I think.
I kept using minoxidil, but 4 months after stopping with fin I started losing hair again and now I look like the OP or worse.
But anyway, I should talk to a doctor

yikes, sorry man, I do wonder about the long term use

Has anyone been on fin for 5 years or longer? any issues?

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Coincidental timing on this thread, OP. I recently told a couple friends that after my most recent haircut, I realized I'm basically at a crossroads in deciding whether I start permanent buzzing/shaving my head or I go see a doctor about a finasteride prescription (+ start using minoxidil).

I'm starting to thin out at the corners of my hairline and it seems to be progressing to the center of my head in that typical U-shaped pattern a lot of guys get. The thinness on one side is particularly evident after I get a haircut.

Think I'll set up an appointment with my doctor soon and give that a try. I'm still early enough in my hair loss that finasteride + minoxidil should be really effective. I have no problem with buzzing/shaving my hair, but because I'm so early in my loss I figure I can try to treat it first. Plus, like another poster said, I'm worried that the buzz/shaved head would be more upkeep than having hair, especially since I'm in Colorado where it would be pretty much mandatory to put sunscreen on my head any time I went out.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I only care about my head looking good without having to maintain it (and since hair is always growing, better to have some hair to hide my laziness).

If there was a way to stunt the growth of hair forever, and not have any hair on the sides/back of the head, AKA Male pattern baldness, I think most men might go for that instead of a hair transplant.

Either that, or having a dedicated hair shaver to polish my skull every morning in my castle, while my personal chef feeds me delicious, nutritionally balanced, fibrous meals and my personal masseuse ...ok imma stop here before I get too into it :D

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
There are solutions, fairly easy ones. Minoxidil, such as Rogaine which is applied topically, or Finasteride, which is taken orally. Both are clinically proven. You really dont need to treat your hair-loss as an inevitability.

And now dutasteride, too. Yeah, if you'd prefer to keep your hair, chat with your doctor. These things don't work for everyone, but their efficacy is indisputable.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
Can't you reverse this? Doesn't look bad. Can you grow a full beard? There might not be a correlation, but anecdotally, every guy I've seen who can't grow a full beard usually keeps their (head) hair into their later years--or I'm full of shit. Shave it and get a wide neck by doing neck curls.

I plan to do the same. I already got a shit far back as fuck hairline myself.