• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inkd

Oct 27, 2017
US
My hair has been thin since high school (34 now). I rarely look at the back of my head but just took a pic since this thread popped up. I've got a pretty big bald spot back there.

I'll probably end up buzzing it pretty short this summer just to see how that goes. It does kind of suck but at the end of the day it's just hair.

OP
OP
Liquid Plejades
Mar 3, 2018
just booked an appointment with a doc to see whether it's hair loss, skin condition, or what. Gonna give treatments a try if the doc recommends it and I can afford it.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I got bald at 24. Once I shaved and started taking care of /the rest of my face and body/ my personal image (and confidence) went through the roof (relatively speaking).

If you care, shave it off so you don't.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 26 and noticed just this weekend that the hair on top is starting to look a lot more sparse/thin. No receding hair line or bald spot yet but it looks like I'm starting to bald. :(

I've seen what my head looks like buzzed down and it ain't great, so shaving would suck. Been contemplating minox or finasteride but I think I'll talk with a doctor first.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That honestly does not look bad at all unless you really tried to hide it before taking a photo. Relax.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Sorry to hear that. Now it's all down hill from there.

Better start thinking about bulking up. Also if you're fortunate enough to be able to grow a full beard, I hear that helps too.

Stick

Oct 30, 2017
i take fin, rogaine, and nizoral. Been doing it for a few years now, and it's the only reason i havent went bald. I started too late though, and some damage has been done. I wish my scalp wasnt so bad lookin because id just shave it, but i'm not ready for that yet. I might even get a hair transplant before I decide to let my hair go. OR i'll just get one of them hairpieces that look real. Going bald is a last resort for me

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
just booked an appointment with a doc to see whether it's hair loss, skin condition, or what. Gonna give treatments a try if the doc recommends it and I can afford it.

great choice, starting early means you can be much more lax with the recovery protocol

as far as cost is concerned, understand the cutting method for finasteride: https://baldingblog.com/is-cutting-a-5mg-finasteride-pill-not-recommended/

Most dermatologists are already aware of this and will prescribe the full generic with no hassle. If your derm won't do it, it's much cheaper to find one that will. I pay $16 a year for generic finasteride. My derm initially prescribed non-generic Propecia, the cost would've been about $800 a year. I delayed taking it for two years when I saw that price tag.

Then I went back and asked him about cutting the generics and he already knew what I was talking about. He prescribed the generic with no issue. Net savings, $784 a year. The issue is they won't do it unless you ask

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Classic horseshoe pattern, I've seen a lot of this. You should be happy now. You've still got pretty good coverage. Once the enemy advances beyond the perimeter - then you won't be Liquid Plejades anymore. You've got 14 months...maybe 10. All I can say is live dammit! Live every precious moment as if this was the last year of your life. Because in many ways...it is.
This post + your profile pic makes me happy.

OP
OP
Liquid Plejades
Mar 3, 2018
great choice, starting early means you can be much more lax with the recovery protocol

as far as cost is concerned, understand the cutting method for finasteride: https://baldingblog.com/is-cutting-a-5mg-finasteride-pill-not-recommended/

Most dermatologists are already aware of this and will prescribe the full generic with no hassle. If your derm won't do it, it's much cheaper to find one that will. I pay $16 a year for generic finasteride. My derm initially prescribed non-generic Propecia, the cost would've been about $800 a year. I delayed taking it for two years when I saw that price tag.

Then I went back and asked him about cutting the generics and he already knew what I was talking about. He prescribed the generic with no issue. Net savings, $784 a year. The issue is they won't do it unless you ask

Do they usually recommend one type of remedies like finasteride or you can do them combined like that and minox etc?

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

is a dermatologist the best doctor to talk to?

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Just turned 40. In my family we start really going in late 40s. I have a reversing hairline and widows peak and have noticed the last few years the top while still plentiful is just completely different and feels thinner and less dense. I just buzz It now and if I were get bald spots I'd just get rid of it all. Hair implants would be an option if I had the money but I don't like the idea of meds.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017

Any side effects you've experienced?

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
Everyone says they have a weird head shape and couldn't pass off a bald look.

I've never seen a bald person and thought "hmm their head is weird."

nexes

Mar 16, 2018
Seattle, WA
I held off using finasteride + minoxidil for years because of concern about side effects, but finally tried them because I started taking meds for other condition anyway and no longer feared daily meds. They worked wonders. No side effects, no issues. You are barely balding now, my guess is you could recover all hair loss if you started at this point (you could possibly even start with just minoxidil you have so little thinning). I regret not starting earlier, but I've recovered enough that my head looks full as long as it's not wet.

I also avoided using these products because I felt it was just an expense for vanity's sake, but as I got balder I started having to apply sunscreen to my scalp or wear hats which is quite annoying if you jog regularly in the summer. Miss a day of minox and you just put it on the next day. Miss a day of sunscreen on a bald spot and prepare for a week of pain. My life is much easier with hair, and the expense is minimal if your derm will prescribe the finasteride in a specific dose (about $120 a year for both)

The fin is easy to take since it's just a pill. The minox seems like a pain at first, but I only use it once a day and miss days all the time and it still seems to be working. I also skip the fin 1 to 2 days a week, just in case side effects start one day, but for three years so far they haven't appeared

Yeah, I was also initially averse to finasteride because of the things I had heard, but I've been considering seeing a dermatologist about it recently because of some things I had read recently. I haven't started losing my hair (perceptibly), but I'm 33 and most men in my family start in their mid 30s, so I've been considering this as proactive. A lot of comments online from folks say that they wish they had started it before the hair loss started, since it doesn't result in regrowing hair, but just preventing it from degrading beyond the point it's at when you start the medication.

This article (review of research) on the sexual side effects is particularly interesting: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3481923/

Two studies in 1998 and 1999 showed that the incidence of these side effects with finasteride therapy was generally comparable to that observed with the treatment with placebo,[8,9] and there was no evidence of dose dependency or increased incidence with longer therapy out to 12 months. In addition, the side effects ceased in patients even when they continued to receive finasteride.

A long term study showed that drug-related sexual side effects such as decreased libido, ED, and ejaculatory disorders occurred in <2% of men.[10] These side-effects disappeared not only in all men who stopped the drug because of the side effects but also in most of those who continued therapy. The incidence of each side effect mentioned decreased to ≤0.3% by the fifth year of treatment with finasteride. The incidence of side effects were comparable to that of placebo both at one year and at 5 years.

If anyone here has some real world side effects that they've experienced or could talk about, I would be super open to hearing about it. It seems like there's just a lot of conflicting information out there.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I was going bald by 25, tried using some medicine for it but it didn't grow back hair so much as make it thicker (and it was too far gone by that point). It does suck, even if the only practical effect it's had on my life is that everyone thinks I'm 10 years older than I actually am.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
Do they usually recommend one type of remedies like finasteride or you can do them combined like that and minox etc?

There are three things that are proven to help:
Minoxidil, which is a topical foam you apply daily (or twice a day)
Finasteride, which is a pill you take daily
Nizoral, which is an antifungal shampoo you can buy over the counter

Most studies indicate that each of these will work on their own, but will work best when combined. As a result, I use all three.
Since I'm using all three I can be very lax with the protocol and I don't notice increased shedding. If I miss a dose, I'm covering with another product. If I'm using all three as perscribed, they are working better together. I shampoo twice a week (you shouldn't use Nizoral daily), Minoxidil 4-5 times a week, and take fin 5-6 times a week.

Of course everybody's different, you may need to be more diligent than I have, or you may be able to get away with only using one product

There's lots of good resources online that will explain dosing and such. There is also info online about possible side effects. It's good to be aware, but I let the side effect stuff scare me into delaying treatment for about 6 years. It turns out I know like 10 people using all three and none of them have had issues. Look for actual published medical studies to see side effect rates. The internet makes them seem much more common

Of course your dermatologist can talk to you about all of this as well

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
is a dermatologist the best doctor to talk to?

yes, but if you don't have one I assume a primary care physician could also prescribe. I get annual skin cancer screenings due to a family history of melanoma, so I already see a dermatologist anyway

There are also online pharmacies that prescribe via telemedicine

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
If you can afford it implants have gotten really good.

Example:

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Shave it all off and grow a goatee. I've been told by so many people how much younger and more attractive I look with a bald head compared to maintaining a receding hairline. Honestly shaving it all off was lifechanging for me. Gave me more confidence and widened the dating pool for me.

Oct 27, 2017
I started balding at like 18 and let it ride until my 30s. Dont be like me. I shaved it and havent looked back.

Your pictures look fine to me though. Pictures of my head during that stretch would fill me full if anxiety and heart break.

OP
OP
Liquid Plejades
Mar 3, 2018
There are three things that are proven to help:
Minoxidil, which is a topical foam you apply daily (or twice a day)
Finasteride, which is a pill you take daily
Nizoral, which is an antifungal shampoo you can buy over the counter

Most studies indicate that each of these will work on their own, but will work best when combined. As a result, I use all three.
Since I'm using all three I can be very lax with the protocol and I don't notice increased shedding. If I miss a dose, I'm covering with another product. If I'm using all three as perscribed, they are working better together. I shampoo twice a week (you shouldn't use Nizoral daily), Minoxidil 4-5 times a week, and take fin 5-6 times a week.

Of course everybody's different, you may need to be more diligent than I have, or you may be able to get away with only using one product

There's lots of good resources online that will explain dosing and such. There is also info online about possible side effects. It's good to be aware, but I let the side effect stuff scare me into delaying treatment for about 6 years. It turns out I know like 10 people using all three and none of them have had issues. Look for actual published medical studies to see side effect rates. The internet makes them seem much more common

Of course your dermatologist can talk to you about all of this as well

Hmm interesting. I actually had no idea you could buy minox and nirozal without a doctor.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
Any side effects you've experienced?

none, aside from full head of hair

I was mostly worried about the sexual side effects of finasteride, those are the ones that get a lot of publicity. I already had a strong libido though, and haven't noticed a change. If you have ED or low libido that you are already treating these side effects may be more of an issue. I'm thinking a dermatologist could give you better advice on these lines, as they know hundreds of people on these meds

there's nothing scary about minox or nizoral, if you're really worried about side effects, just start with those two

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone says they have a weird head shape and couldn't pass off a bald look.

I've never seen a bald person and thought "hmm their head is weird."
Yeah, for real. Everyone thinks their head looks weird naked. Obv.

Even Bruce Willis thought so.

But I have, on rare occasion, seen some weird fuckin' heads. Not common tho. Their head would look weird with hair too is my point.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
I was going bald by 25, tried using some medicine for it but it didn't grow back hair so much as make it thicker (and it was too far gone by that point). It does suck, even if the only practical effect it's had on my life is that everyone thinks I'm 10 years older than I actually am.

yeah this is why I worry about people advising the OP to shave it off when he's barely thinning. There is a certain point of baldness at which the meds will no longer bring enough coverage back

According to my derm I was right at the point of no return when I started. It was basically 50/50 whether or not I'd get enough coverage (I got lucky). Basically, for those who are only thinning, if you think you may medicate at some point, don't wait

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to keep your hair, start NOW with the big three (Fin, Minox and Nizoral) and you can even add dermarolling as well.

Just do not wait for it to get worst. Youll regret you didnt start sooner.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm interesting. I actually had no idea you could buy minox and nirozal without a doctor.

If you are worried about side effects just start with those two. Minox is regularly on sale at Costco, should be about $100 for a year supply

From experience, I started with those two, and they did recover some, but adding the finasteride was what really got coverage back. I also prefer the finasteride because taking a pill is so easy. I was much balder than you, though. You may be fine with just the topicals

OP
OP
Liquid Plejades
Mar 3, 2018
If you are worried about side effects just start with those two. Minox is regularly on sale at Costco, should be about $100 for a year supply

From experience, I started with those two, and they did recover some, but adding the finasteride was what really got coverage back. I also prefer the finasteride because taking a pill is so easy. I was much balder than you, though. You may be fine with just the topicals

Ok, appreciate your input. The doctor is gonna call me in 2 hours for a phone consultation. I emailed them the pictures already.

Anything else you recommend for healthier hair? I shower twice a day and use a conditioner shampoo in the morning, and at night just wash it. Wonder if I should cut back on my shampoo and conditioner. I also use a hairdryer and now I'm reading heat is bad.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The funky spot in the left is the one you are referring to? if so, yes, i can make the bald assumption in saying that you my start to experience some hair loss.

Other than that i don't see any signs of hair loss in the middle line, you look healthy , trust me i'm a hair expert.

I'm not really a hair expert

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
Ok, appreciate your input. The doctor is gonna call me in 2 hours for a phone consultation. I emailed them the pictures already.

Anything else you recommend for healthier hair? I shower twice a day and use a conditioner shampoo in the morning, and at night just wash it. Wonder if I should cut back on my shampoo and conditioner. I also use a hairdryer and now I'm reading heat is bad.

I am incredibly lazy, so I'm not the best person to ask about other hair treatment.

I literally didn't care I was balding because I thought it would be easier (as people say in these threads). As an incredibly lazy man, I can assure you it's not. I had to remember to use sun screen, and if I didn't buzz my head regularly the bald spot started to show in an obvious way. I had to learn to remember to wear hats in the summer, and to not leave them in restaurants, and I hated how they made my head sweat. I had to buy a hat at Disney Land because I forgot to bring one

All I do to my hair is what I described above. I do not use conditioner or product. I only wash it twice a week. You may want to consider washing your hair less, as I've read too much can be bad, but once again, the main reason I wash my hair twice a week is I am lazy so I'm not the best case study. I do not wear anything on my head when I sleep, and I comb my bedhead with my hand on the way to work. I am greying and I don't bother with dye. I pat dry with a towel, then air dry

I take multi-vitamins for other conditions which may help, but nothing specifically for hair. I tried high dose biotin before minox and it didn't seem to do anything.

If it helps, we appear to have similar hair type and color, fine with a part

Last edited:

Grenouille

Nov 26, 2017
Yeah, I was also initially averse to finasteride because of the things I had heard, but I've been considering seeing a dermatologist about it recently because of some things I had read recently. I haven't started losing my hair (perceptibly), but I'm 33 and most men in my family start in their mid 30s, so I've been considering this as proactive. A lot of comments online from folks say that they wish they had started it before the hair loss started, since it doesn't result in regrowing hair, but just preventing it from degrading beyond the point it's at when you start the medication.

This article (review of research) on the sexual side effects is particularly interesting: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3481923/

If anyone here has some real world side effects that they've experienced or could talk about, I would be super open to hearing about it. It seems like there's just a lot of conflicting information out there.

I started experiencing decrease in sexual drive last year. Like, I could go a whole week without feeling the need to do it. But this was years after I had started fin, so I'm not sure if it was related. But still, it freaked me out and so I stopped taking it, and now I feel better.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I've got a nice bald patch up top that I assume is growing, but meh. Had I noticed it sooner I probably tried something to prevent it getting worse but it's far enough back on my head that I only really see it in photographs, security cameras, and that kind of thing. In a bathroom mirror I have to really dip my head down to see it.

I presume it's gotten bad enough that it's not worth trying to salvage at this point.

I wish I had a full head of hair, but in the grand scheme of things its not worth getting upset over.

Last edited:

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
I started experiencing decrease in sexual drive last year. Like, I could go a whole week without feeling the need to do it. But this was years after I had started fin, so I'm not sure if it was related. But still, it freaked me out and so I stopped taking it, and now I feel better.

how long were you on fin before you noticed effects? I'm on year three and still doing well, but I have wondered about this

Also, were you able to maintain hair gains with other treatments once you discontinued?

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
I've got a nice bald patch up top that I assume is growing, but meh. Had I noticed it sooner I probably tried something to prevent it getting worse but it's far enough back on my head that I only really see it in photographs, security cameras, and that kind of thing. In a bathroom mirror I have to really dip my head down to see it.

I presume it's gotten bad enough that it's not worth trying to salvage at this point.

I wish I had a full head of hair, but in the grand scheme of things its not worth getting upset over.

this sounds like where I was when I started, it may be recoverable
I was norwood 3 or 4 depending on who looked at it, but only in the crown, no hairline issues: https://www.healthline.com/health/norwood-scale#stages

I'm now kind of a 2.5 with treatment

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If you can afford it implants have gotten really good.

Example:

I've also gotten a hair transplant procedure and it's just about this good (though I didn't start from *that* bad a point).

Depends on method (FUE vs. FUT), but should be somewhere around $4/$5 per follicle. With the OP's hair, I'd expect a doctor to recommend 2000-2500 follicles.

Pricey, but honestly a miracle.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
I've also gotten a hair transplant procedure and it's just about this good (though I didn't start from *that* bad a point).

Depends on method (FUE vs. FUT), but should be somewhere around $4/$5 per follicle. With the OP's hair, I'd expect a doctor to recommend 2000-2500 follicles.

Pricey, but honestly a miracle.

Did you have to take finasteride post transplant, or are the transplanted follicles DHT resistant? Can't seem to find a straight answer on this anywhere

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
My hairline is similar to yours OP, just a spot at the back with miniaturised hairs.

I shaved it off a couple of weeks ago after a few months of considering what to do. This shit aint for me. Didn't realise how much enjoyment I got from having hair.

I'll definitely be trying minoxidil and finasteride now for a couple of years at least to see how it goes rather than leaving it too late.