• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
"get rid of the ballots and... there won't be a transfer, they'll be a continuation."

the president of the united states. from the white house. 5 weeks before an election.

very normal stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
At this point the only appropriate punishment for how comically evil and obvious his crimes are is something equally comical like the catapulting sentence from the Simpsons.

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
Just take the L, bro. Only a thug wouldn't.

Not like you wouldn't win by losing, anyway.

higgy

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
He's contesting the results already, via calling mail-in ballots a hoax. Of course, this makes no sense for actual ballots to be a hoax.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I do not understand how anyone thinks he's fucking bluffing anymore. How long are people going to continue to underestimate the depravity of this administration and GOP?

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do not understand how anyone thinks he's fucking bluffing anymore. How long are people going to continue to underestimate the depravity of this administration and GOP?
As long as they remain unwilling to take any action that requires more effort than just voting, hoping everything turns out alright and blaming all your so-called "allies" when they don't.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
It says enough about the Republican Party that they're completely silent on Trump basically implying he'd be willing to risk a civil war to stay in power if he loses.

To be fair, they know they've got a lot of guns on their side. Maybe they're just gambling that in a might-makes-right struggle they've got the firepower to hold onto their rule and change it to something more permanent if it comes to that.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Because he says all sorts of shit and most of it turns to nothing. Since like February he's promised to roll out the Republican replacement plan for the ACA "in the next two weeks", most recently promising it yesterday. Is it concerning? Sure. Is it a done deal? Who the fuck knows?

bigred50

Oct 31, 2017
Americans are faaaaaar to naive about all this. Trump is not leaving without a big fight. Election results be damned. This will be litigated to all hell. And he will probably win.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly hoping Biden wins in a landslide and Trump flees the country a couple of days before inauguration. That's probably the most peaceful way a transition happens. The sooner we rid ourselves of him, the better.

May 31, 2018
I mean, there's less likely of a chance all this power grab fan fiction happens than Trump just outright winning the electoral college.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Are we going to see a military coup in the US withon our lifetime due to the actions of Trump showing how broken our system is?

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Doomsday scenarios do fit because he knows, the moment he leaves office, he's fucked.

Oct 25, 2017
Because he says all sorts of shit and most of it turns to nothing. Since like February he's promised to roll out the Republican replacement plan for the ACA "in the next two weeks", most recently promising it yesterday. Is it concerning? Sure. Is it a done deal? Who the fuck knows?

But that's some thing that doesn't affect him. He'll actually do work (have his lawyers do work) when it's his ass on the line.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
It says enough about the Republican Party that they're completely silent on Trump basically implying he'd be willing to risk a civil war to stay in power if he loses. In any actual functioning democracy he'd be dragged out of office for this.

That is about the sum of the situation, either he gets dragged out by the Secret Service come Inauguration Day or we really will have hit Caesar's Tyranny.

Oct 27, 2017
His base will believe anything. I have a family member who is a mega Trump guy who a few weeks back told me that mail in voting is bad. I asked why? He told me a woman in Michigan where he lives and I'm from originally, was caught with thousands of forged ballots! I asked him to please provide a source for what he told me. He said "local news sources". So I immediately searched up on google what he was talking about, and surprise surprise, I couldn't find a hint of anything he claimed. Not in Michigan or anywhere else. I'm sure his "local news source" was probably some right wing radio or website. Idiot.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Posturing...probably.
Can we quit with this? He isn't posturing and American democracy is at death's door. Even if Joe Biden "wins", we are just voting to see if the supreme court and the military step up and do the right thing. Trump and the GOP are literally showing us their playbook and everyone continues to deny what is unfolding in broad daylight.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Ok but his answer to any question is "we're looking into it" or "we'll see." It's problematic, of course but it's his default response to everything.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
His base will believe anything. I have a family member who is a mega Trump guy who a few weeks back told me that mail in voting is bad. I asked why? He told me a woman in Michigan where he lives and I'm from originally, was caught with thousands of forged ballots! I asked him to please provide a source for what he told me. He said "local news sources". So I immediately searched up on google what he was talking about, and surprise surprise, I couldn't find a hint of anything he claimed. Not in Michigan or anywhere else. I'm sure his "local news source" was probably some right wing radio or website. Idiot.
Yup. Bullshit

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
What's non peacefully look like? Him kicking and screaming? If he thinks the military will back him, he's in for a big surprise.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we quit with this? He isn't posturing and American democracy is at death's door. Even if Joe Biden "wins", we are just voting to see if the supreme court and the military step up and do the right thing. Trump and the GOP are literally showing us their playbook and everyone continues to deny what is unfolding in broad daylight.
Here's the thing, Trump is a piece of garbage and he scares me. The GOP sucks too. But the GOP isn't that dumb. If he loses they will make sure he leaves for the sake of their party's future. We might consider them unelectable already, but if Trump actually refuses to leave office peacefully that will be a horrendous look for their party and make them unelectable to a far broader audience.

I'm confident he will leave if he loses.

Oct 27, 2017

Why would we be waiting for the military to, "step up"? We shouldn't be hoping for the military to be anywhere near deposing a President. We're in a bad enough place as is, no need to go to a place that never, ever ends well and sets a deadly serious precedent.

If we're worried about him holed-up in the WH bunker threatening to launch nukes at California, I suspect the Secret Service agents who have been contracting COVID at an astronomical rate due to Trump's weekly, public therapy sessions with his cultists, would be very happy to drag him out to waiting police cars who will take him to an airport to be extradited to NY

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Here's the thing, Trump is a piece of garbage and he scares me. The GOP sucks too. But the GOP isn't that dumb. If he loses they will make sure he leaves for the sake of their party's future. We might consider them unelectable already, but if Trump actually refuses to leave office peacefully that will be a horrendous look for their party.

They don't care. This is about an absolute power grab. You also have to think about some of the awful shit a lot of the republicans in congress will be held accountable for if Trump leaves. Prosecution awaits a host of people if Biden takes over and nothing from here until January will be your run of the mill save face politics.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Why would we be waiting for the military to, "step up"? We shouldn't be hoping for the military to be anywhere near deposing a President. We're in a bad enough place as is, no need to go to a place that never, ever ends well and sets a deadly serious precedent.

If we're worried about him holed-up in the WH bunker threatening to launch nukes at California, I suspect the Secret Service agents who have been contracting COVID at an astronomical rate due to Trump's weekly, public therapy sessions with his cultists, would be very happy to drag him out to waiting police cars who will take him to an airport to be extradited to NY
We'll see what happens. Everyone's loyalties will be laid bare soon enough.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing, Trump is a piece of garbage and he scares me. The GOP sucks too. But the GOP isn't that dumb. If he loses they will make sure he leaves for the sake of their party's future. We might consider them unelectable already, but if Trump actually refuses to leave office peacefully that will be a horrendous look for their party and make them unelectable to a far broader audience.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't care. This is about an absolute power grab. You also have to think about some of the awful shit a lot of the republicans in congress will be held accountable for if Trump leaves. Prosecution awaits a host of people if Biden takes over and nothing from here until January will be your run of the mill save face politics.
All of that pails in comparison to being associated with what would effectively be a coup.

if he loses he will leave. He might bitch and moan about it (and by might I mean he will), but he will leave. Don't get worked up over it.

Agnostic

Mar 4, 2019
Ummmm, Can a mod purge my account?

They will use social media to round up the rabble and dissenters.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's a decisive victory, Trump will leave. If it's close, we're in trouble, because he'll fight it all the way up to the SCOTUS.

So yeah, vote. And take everything he says about contesting the election seriously.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Sorry America. You can't just hand your democracy over to a corrupt autocrat and expect him to willingly hand power back over. That's not how this shit works.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
All of that pails in comparison to being associated with what would effectively be a coup.

if he loses he will leave. Don't get worked up over it.
That's the attitude that has gotten us to this point. The coup part is how fascism works. Being complacent is how democracy dies. Go look at what someone like Jason Stanley from Yale has to say on this stuff. We are at the edge of the cliff with American democracy and we only have a short while to back away from it before we get pushed over that edge.