• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
TIP+YOUR+MASK1.png

"Tip Your Mask" is in coordination with various police departments in Illinois. When you go into a store or building, you're now asked to "tip your mask" by lowering it slightly so the business owner can see your face. After you tip, you should wash your hands or sanitize as soon as you can. Reverend Wonder Harris who founded the Village of A Thousand Elders explains, "if people were to commit a crime, they wouldn't tip the mask because they'd be caught on camera." He visited various local businesses in East Moline and said business owners' agreed that tipping masks would ease their minds to know a customer is just inside to shop, and not commit a crime.

Everyone is being asked to tip your mask, because as Pastor Harris says, "crime comes in all colors. You can't just say that just because they're a particular color, they'll commit a crime. So it's something all of us have to do. And It's not just using old standards and ideas and we can't have a peaceful society to do it that way." Reverend Donald William Johnson adds, "We really want to eliminate and dilute and stop any sort of confrontation. So if I tip my mask, then persons know I'm not out to do anything wrong. Because that's the typical thing people think of with a mask."

www.kwqc.com

Local group asks you to "tip your mask" to help prevent racial biases

Tip Your Mask" is in coordination with various police departments in Illinois. When you go into a store or building, you're now asked to "tip your mask" by lowering it slightly so the business owner can see your face.

Notice the image literally has you grabbing the fron of your fucking mask

Wolfe

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
Jesus christ, going around and touching your mask kinda defeats the purpose of wearing one no...

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Doubt many here need reminding but DO NOT DO THIS. It's weird walking in to a bank and store wearing a mask, I'll admit, but this defeats all the purpose of wearing one. You touch it and then if you're asymptomatic now every single thing you touch with your hands is potentially contaminated.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
No. I'll show I'm not going to rob the place by not robbing the place.

Them fuckers would have a heart attack with me wearing a mask, shades, and a hoodie.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This is literally a movement to call the police if a Black person isn't a fucking idiot and you know declines to contaminate their mask

Literally this is a movement to increase suspicion of people using masks properly

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
The best way is to not wear a mask at all. They definitely know youre not a criminal if you dont wear a mask.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
There's so many things wrong with this idea, most of which being that it exists solely to make the... business owner (whom you're not likely to interact with 90% of the time?) feel better. Terrible.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Fashion tip: wear your mask backwards because it looks cool

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
When they talk about the world ending with a 'whimper' rather than a 'bang' this is what they mean.

Absolute lunacy.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Show you're only trying to prevent the spread of the virus by...

*checks notes*

touching your face.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I mean, are people really robbing the local grocery like that? I genuinely don't know and haven't heard anything of the sort. Doesn't seem like the haul would be that great with most people using plastic.

Who am I kidding this is just more 'placate racists' bullshit.

Kyou

Oct 27, 2017
*pulls down mask to reveal "I AM ABOUT TO ROB THIS STORE" tattoo on upper lip*

Shit, they got me!

R.P. McMurphy

May 8, 2019
Glad they show a white-looking woman in their ad because we all know that is specifically who they are going to enforce this with. /s

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
How much fucking crime do they have that this is considered necessary?

I got piled on yesterday for saying America has the most dumbass laws and rules, but here they are proving me right again.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
If mask in public become the new normal, i figure they gonna need someway to visually identify people, as there are already plenty of areas where people are using masked identity to steal shit. (Probably no more than was being stolen pre-mask, but you know it's gonna be the focus of the complaint)

Revealing your face quickly sounds like the quick simple solution, but touching your mask isn't advised.

So what is the best way to address the problem going forward?
Can't scan ID's at the door like a club...
Can't hand out Public ID cards...
And so many other terrible and/or impractical idea.

So how do we address this issue going forward?

Just more security?

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Sigh. Absolutely horrific. Please wear masks people and do not touch them.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
It would be funny if it wasn't just racist.

Also this reminds me of how I keep seeing people clowning on people wearing masks alone in their cars. Like yeah, I want to put on the mask while I have clean hands and then not touch/adjust it at all until I'm back home. Why would I put it on and take it off with my dirty hands/gloves every time I'm alone in my car?

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a tip. You wanna operate a public business during a pandemic? Then get fucking used to people wearing masks.

Oct 25, 2017
As I said in the local subreddit, I love how the article frames the police chiefs' responses as supporting this nonsense, when they actually carefully tiptoe around it.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Makes sense, the people who they expect to tip their mask or expect retaliation they don't give a FUCK if they catch the virus.

Looking forward to future threads of cops whupping on ten year olds supermarkets with the 'Why was he/she wearing a mask? Did they tip their mask in front of the camera? Well in that case, brain damage deserved!"

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, are people really robbing the local grocery like that? I genuinely don't know and haven't heard anything of the sort. Doesn't seem like the haul would be that great with most people using plastic.

For the record, the pastor promoting this stupidness is black. He's done some other similar things in the past. Whether he's responding to society's racism or hopelessly naive, I can't quite tell.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

"PUT THE ENTIRE LEG OF IBERICO HAM IN THE BAG AND NOBODY GETS HURT"

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand the "this is racist" replies in this thread considering the pastor advocating this is black and says he thought up this idea because he and other black people in his congregation were hesitant about wearing masks out in public.

To be clear this is a really dumb idea and hopefully someone informs the pastor why its really dumb but it seems to come from a place of good intention, just extremely poorly thought out.