• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say, Derrick's "we're not here to flood your inbox" was the closest thing to a zing at GX in this pitch video. I remember hearing some people 1-2 years ago unsubbed to gx for that exact same reason.

Unfortunately that's why I unsubscribed as well. I still go there to watch their discussions and analysis vids, but getting a dozen 2 minute videos about every single bit of news every day is too much.

I hope they'll get Andre to guest eventually. Good luck to them!

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
...you do realize the expression good vibes/vibrations has been around for like 50 years correct?

Yes, but it has gained traction over the last couple of years. It's like when "keep calm and ___" had a resurgence, which also sounded stupid to me and I'm sure now sounds stupid to a lot of people who were using/posting/wearing etc. it at the time.

I understand why they named it Good Vibes Gaming. I see what they're going for, and I'm sure it'll appeal to a lot of people. It's just not good branding IMO.

Jun 15, 2020
I didn't want to be the one to say it, but the branding is terrible. Use of the term "vibes" will soon go out of style the same way other popular terms such as (to use a recent example) "savage" did.

Also not a fan of their rating system or the logo design for it. The audio is also out of sync in their video and everything seems kind of rushed and unrefined.

That said, we'll see what sort of content they put out. Hopefully it works out for them.
What nonsense is this?

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Awesome! Will gladly sub to this!

somewhat related topic, is there something behind the scenes that happened at GameXplain? First John left a month or two ago, and now Derrick, Ash and Steve? Besides Andre, I don't even know anyone else who's still at GameXplain. Did something precipitate the mass exodus?

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little confused about what a "positive vibes" channel entails if they still have a standard review scale that still entails describing if they think a game is bad. Criticism sometimes involves getting negative!

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little confused about what a "positive vibes" channel entails if they still have a standard review scale that still entails describing if they think a game is bad. Criticism sometimes involves getting negative!
They mean not being negative for the sake of being negative.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
Awesome! Will gladly sub to this!

somewhat related topic, is there something behind the scenes that happened at GameXplain? First John left a month or two ago, and now Derrick, Ash and Steve? Besides Andre, I don't even know anyone else who's still at GameXplain. Did something precipitate the mass exodus?
No. It just seems like creative differences and financial reasons which is understandable. John was having a child and lived in the UK. Derrick also just had a newborn and the man works way too hard so I'm sure doing the GX stuff just took so much out of him. Being a part of a success story in GX gave him a view of what he could do. He has dreams too.

There's no drama. Some are disappointed by that because it's not as interesting lol. Andre has a new team of guys. I'm sure it will take some time for them to get accustomed to how much the job demands from them and it'll take time for long time viewers to get used to them too. Change is tough lol.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
They mean not being negative for the sake of being negative.

I know a lot of Youtubers stir the pot for attention and they're probably pushing back on that, but I still feel like this is a premise that's going to backfire as soon as they give their first really negative review to something. "Miserable" is a score built into their scale!

Steve

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Parts Unknown
So this is going to be another Nintendo-focused channel, right?

Nope! GVG will cover all things gaming! We intend to focus on the broader view of the gaming landscape, rather than any singular platform. Nintendo will definitely be part of it; I mean, they make great games! But definitely expect PlayStation, Xbox, and even some PC content!

I know a lot of Youtubers stir the pot for attention and they're probably pushing back on that, but I still feel like this is a premise that's going to backfire as soon as they give their first really negative review to something. "Miserable" is a score built into their scale!

I think you can have a negative view of a game without reveling in negativity. There's a fine line between expressing distaste for something and being outright negative about it. A review of a bad game can still be lighthearted and fun!

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Nope! GVG will cover all things gaming! We intend to focus on the broader view of the gaming landscape, rather than any singular platform. Nintendo will definitely be part of it; I mean, they make great games! But definitely expect PlayStation, Xbox, and even some PC content!

I think you can have a negative view of a game without reveling in negativity. There's a fine line between expressing distaste for something and being outright negative about it. A review of a bad game can still be lighthearted and fun!
Yo just want to say I love the channel so far. It really seems like the things I loved about GX, but improved. With all of the things that I didn't like cut out. I really hope you guys can keep up the vision of the channel, it would be amazing. I look forward to your first news discussion.

Do you know when that first will air?

Oct 25, 2017
Probably an outlier in that I prefer review scores so I instantly know what number ranges those review scoring systems equate to (more power to them) but if this means less blanket 8 out of 10s for stuff that absolutely needs everybody's attention, then I am all for it.

I bought a 360 to play Red Dead. I bought a PS4 to play Bloodborne. You only ever buy a new console to play one game, it's the other games you get that are the bonus. At least that's always been the way I look at it.

An outlet that assumes you have a PC that make Marvel movie CGI, every VR device, both smartphone brands or several tablets, subs to all games launchers plus every single console being currently supported simply doesn't know their audience anymore.

A platform with about half a dozen 'pure bliss' titles sounds unmissable, as opposed to the traditional model of new console = lean schedule of releases that we are used to.

Steve

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Parts Unknown
Yo just want to say I love the channel so far. It really seems like the things I loved about GX, but improved. With all of the things that I didn't like cut out. I really hope you guys can keep up the vision of the channel, it would be amazing. I look forward to your first news discussion.

Thanks so much! Today's News Tonight airs - tonight! If you back us on Patreon for $5 or more you can watch it live at 7PM Eastern/4PM Pacific and hang out with us for the post show. If you aren't in the live audience, we'll have tonight's episode on YouTube sometime around 11:30 PM Eastern.

EDIT: Adding Patreon link: GVG on Patreon

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

For sure! and I realize this is more pushing back against clickbait youtube negativity than anything else.

I think the review scale is where I'm getting tripped up. The intro video mentions both inclusivity and positivity, and a focus on enthusiasm for enthusiasts. What weighs harder on the review scale? If a game is really fun to play but handles inclusivity really poorly (spitballing here since it's not out yet, but say Cyberpunk for example) is that a Miserable or a Pure Bliss? If a game has a charming and welcoming presentation but isn't fun to play, where does that fit on the scale? What about great games with great stories that are nonetheless dark/depressing/cynical/etc? I'm curious how the review scale interacts with the premise of the channel, if that makes sense.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eyyy, already subbed lol. Hope to see some good stuff, I can get behind good vibes.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like the crew and I like what I've seen so far. Plus it's Jon's old channel so I'm already subscribed anyway.

Noog

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 1, 2018
Yes, but it has gained traction over the last couple of years. It's like when "keep calm and ___" had a resurgence, which also sounded stupid to me and I'm sure now sounds stupid to a lot of people who were using/posting/wearing etc. it at the time.

I understand why they named it Good Vibes Gaming. I see what they're going for, and I'm sure it'll appeal to a lot of people. It's just not good branding IMO.
I'm of the mind that the branding isn't too important. I think of a name like Kinda Funny which tells you absolutely nothing about who they are, but yet it caught on. Similarly, What's Good Games, in my opinion is far more "trendy" than GVG, and again, it's caught on.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I didn't want to be the one to say it, but the branding is terrible. Use of the term "vibes" will soon go out of style the same way other popular terms such as (to use a recent example) "savage" did.

Also not a fan of their rating system or the logo design for it. The audio is also out of sync in their video and everything seems kind of rushed and unrefined.

That said, we'll see what sort of content they put out. Hopefully it works out for them.

I genuinely cannot tell if this post is supposed to be a joke or not. Vibes will go out style? Savage is out of style. Do...what?

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Is it going to be Nintendo focused? Watched the intro video, but it wasn't clear. Then saw the first couple of updates are Nintendo related.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Subbed. And best of luck to them and the continued success of gamexplain as well

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Sure, I'll follow Steve here. He's great! I really love the idea of him being on a regular podcast type show.

I feel like I haven't watched much content from Derrick or Ash on the GameXplain channel for years tbh, but I remember them being cool, too. Seems like a great lineup overall. And I hate to say it, but GameXplain has honestly been feeling really devoid of creativity for a long time. These three getting to do whatever they want could be amazing.

I can't say I'm in love with the name or logo, but I'm sure they can clean it up a bit over time. Remember when MinnMax started with those ugly green circle logos? Gotta start somewhere.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Thank you all so much for your support and enthusiasm for what we're doing with GVG! It means the world to us, and it's thanks to that enthusiasm that we've had a successful launch. We're very excited about the channel's future. :)

I'm interested and will probably sub, but I don't expect any of my criticisms of GameXplain to be addressed. I do wish them the best though!

We're always open to constructive criticism and will keep any we receive in mind!

Steve already addressed this, but we believe there's a meaningful difference between criticizing a game and being overtly negative. You can give a negative review in a way that still respects the time and effort that went into making the game and which points out whatever strengths it may still have.

It went live a little late because we're still smoothing out the production process, but it's live now! We hope you like it!

Is it going to be Nintendo focused? Watched the intro video, but it wasn't clear. Then saw the first couple of updates are Nintendo related.

While Nintendo will be a major fixture on the channel because we're all personally Nintendo fans, we are not necessarily Nintendo-focused and certainly not Nintendo-exclusive. Derrick, Steve, and I all play a wide range of games on various consoles, so definitely expect PlayStation, Xbox, and perhaps PC-related content as well (though we'll likely remain mostly console-centric for at least the near future).

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017

I'm already enjoying this channel, keep doing more of this.

Damn, I was really hoping that the midroll advert overdose would be a gamexplain feature they'd leave behind. Just clicked this and YouTube is telling me I'm going to have to watch eight sets of ads to get through it and now I'm not sure I want to.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to you three! Looking forward to seeing more from you all!

I do have a request though if possible for the today's news video. I love listening to your thoughts on news, but if I'm honest, some news I'm more interested in hearing about than others (or there may be work days where I can't listen to the entire thing). Is it possible to add time stamps to the video for each section?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Dope to see US Gamers Kat Bailey on the latest Todays New Tonight episode.
Crazy part is ive been listening and reading Kats content for for like a decade now and only today saw her for the first time...end of an era hah.

Another good episode - keep it up guys.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Even though I wasn't sure if we needed another gaming channel at first I'm really loving the daily news show. Looking forward to it each day.

Keep the good vibes going

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just posting to day after listening to that first Today's News vid, I'm very glad that there really wasn't any drama. Just so conditioned to that being the going-on for Youtube haha.

Get some shows on Podcast and I'll be right there. It's hard running with Youtube up, I bump other videos too often. :p

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This is a really nice idea for a channel, and I loved these folks on GameXplain. Instantly subbed.