• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Notch sits at home, wondering if the feeling of acquiring his new copy of Super Mario Bros is actually happiness or whether the fumes of the rotting candy are slowly poisoning him.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I have my doubts the sealed market really is exploding. The market is seeing an influx of rich comic and toy collectors who are engaging in speculation. I've been in the retro-game collecting hobby for awhile and the items exploding in price aren't the pieces that are sought after in the collecting community. Just glancing at the Heritage Auction website, I'm seeing values completely divorced from reality. This one caught my eye: https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-gam...7234-93029.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

No doubt a lot of the explosion is being driven by the new blood brought in from the comic, toy, and sports card collectors who have jumped into retro games. That doesn't change the fact that they have exploded.

Will it be sustainable? Some of it will, some of it won't. Those paying thousands for some of the Atari games that literally have cases and cases of games that up to 6 months ago were selling for $50 aren't going to be sustainable.

On the other hand, a mint 9.0 "TM" first print Zelda is always going to be sought after and would probably make this sell look like small potatoes.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Wish I had so much money I could just spend that much for a sealed copy of a item I will never actually use.....

IamAToast

Apr 18, 2018
Germany
I don't really get the hate in comments. Yeah its a stupid amount of money. Some people like "rare" collectables. Most people who buy 50.000$ PSA 10 Charizard will never play the TCG. These type of rated stuff is not bought for use.

In smaller scale I own some music album (these with photobooks+more stuff) and will never play them. I just use Spotify but I wanted to support the creators and own these albums.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's dumb, but people spend a lot of money on: high end fashion, card collecting, rare art and lots more and Era doesn't seem to go crazy lol. Kind of hypocritical

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
If it is brand new and sealed then why is half of the ink on the 3 scuffed off along with having other patches all over the box? The sellophane wrapping would stop that kind of damage, unless it was just reseal job. I'd be interested to see high resolution photos to know why it looks in rough condition from multiple angles.