• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
it amazes me how such little differences ends up making stuff horribly overpriced in the future

"so huh we had some boxes with the bros covering marios hand" "put on the back of the shelves, nobody will notice"
Back in the 90's when Kenner reintroduced the Power of the Force Star Wars action figures, there were a number of misprints and things like long-sabers that weren't correct, or incorrect art on Boba Fett's hand, and other things like that. At the time these 'more rare' versions traded for quite a bit and I have just about all of those with the exception of very rare ones, similar to this SMB3. The sad thing is most of them aren't worth squat now, they're all just stored in some boxes with the hope they'll increase some day but it seems unlikely now.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Uncool thread title and characterisation, it's his money let him spend it on what he wants
I'd rather see somebody with $150,000 to blow pour it back into his local economy during a pandemic, or donate it to charity, or maybe just help a neighbor in need than wasting money to own a piece of plastic inside a piece of cardboard inside a piece of glass. Money gets wasted every single day in much more extravagant ways, but this is the topic we're discussing: somebody dropped $150,000 for what is essentially a dead copy of SMB3. And honestly? It's a stupid way to spend your money.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather see somebody with $150,000 to blow pour it back into his local economy during a pandemic, or donate it to charity, or maybe just help a neighbor in need than wasting money to own a piece of plastic inside a piece of cardboard inside a piece of glass. Money gets wasted every single day in much more extravagant ways, but this is the topic we're discussing: somebody dropped $150,000 for what is essentially a dead copy of SMB3. And honestly? It's a stupid way to spend your money.

So you don't think the value will rise?

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I don't know if it makes me a weirdo or not, but if I had a stupid amount of money and a strong attachment to a particular game, I would probably spend a lot on a misprinted mint copy of it as well.

Also, only a true weirdo would open this. You can play the game with one of many loose carts (or the emulated version currently available on Switch even), who in their right mind would open this??

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe a sealed first-run copy of SMB3 exists. What happened to this thing, did it get lost in a warehouse for over a decade without ever seeing a shelf?

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's beyond stupid to spend this much money on it, but it's not like the money just disappears. It stays in circulation.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I wonder if things like this actually appreciate in value. There has to only be a small handful of dummies walking this earth who would spend hundreds of thousands on NES games.
Maybe the folk that buy new consoles and iphones to destroy for youtube clicks will expand into buying this Mario and driving a drill through the middle.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if it makes me a weirdo or not, but if I had a stupid amount of money and a strong attachment to a particular game, I would probably spend a lot on a misprinted mint copy of it as well.

dunno, if i really cared for a game that much and had that money i would use it on assorted stuff related to the game, not a "bad" boxed copy of it. hell i'd buy 20000 copies of it and make a SMB3 armour or something. i dont feel like owning bad copies show "love" for it, but thats just my five cents

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
So you don't think the value will rise?
Is the person purchasing this item with the intention of investing their money? If they're planning on letting the value (potentially, not guaranteed) appreciate to then sell it again at a higher price, it's not exactly a sound investment strategy. I'm guessing the person who bought this is planning on adding it to a collection as a centerpiece.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
is japanese retro collecting as expensive there as it is here? i imagine a ton of western collectors already bought up a ton of the rarer stuff in japan.

Preatorian60

Nov 19, 2020
I'd imagine that if one of these collectors ever saw the way I act with rare things they'd pop a blood vessel lol! I'm all like "OMG look at that, it's a collectable that's so cool!" Then I get home and just rip the box open and play with whatever the collectable was (usually statues and rare toys for me)

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
I should definitely keep my PS4 with P.T, pretty sure someday will end up pretty high.

OP
OP
Dolce

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just not a huge fan of the retro grading scene. But I'm also the type of person who opens anything I collect. Buying something just to keep it in a box is weird to me. It's especially common in the figure collecting scene, where keeping figures in a box is actually bad and can degrade them. Open your stuff! Use it! Display it!

is japanese retro collecting as expensive there as it is here? i imagine a ton of western collectors already bought up a ton of the rarer stuff in japan.

Legitimately rare stuff is expensive but it's easier to find things in good condition/complete in box for decent prices.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
dunno, if i really cared for a game that much and had that money i would use it on assorted stuff related to the game, not a "bad" boxed copy of it. hell i'd buy 20000 copies of it and make a SMB3 armour or something. i dont feel like owning bad copies show "love" for it, but thats just my five cents
"Weirdo spends $150,000 on 2000 copies of SMB3 they will never open to create armour"

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I thought the title said 15k and I thought that's a ridiculous amount to spend on a game, then I realised it was 150k and I'm just left wondering why?

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised Dan Ryckert didn't grift a bunch of marks to buy this himself.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
The value that some items have is wild. To think that this particular formatting of the title has a rarity that warrants additional money is so interesting to me.

Well, cool, I guess.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Could hold it for a few years and sell it at 2x - 3x the price.

Yeah I get that, I just don't understand the market for this, the game itself isn't rare its easily emulated and avaliable on multiple systems.

Because of a misprint/bad box somehow that makes it worth a ridiculous amount of money, but to who?

I'm all for preserving video games and the history of it I'll just never understand what drives this supposed value.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I get that, I just don't understand the market for this, the game itself isn't rare its easily emulated and avaliable on multiple systems.

Because of a misprint/bad box somehow that makes it worth a ridiculous amount of money, but to who?

I'm all for preserving video games and the history of it I'll just never understand what drives this supposed value.

its a rare variation of a very popular game. exactly for it being rare in a game that isnt supposed to have any rarer versions that the prices drive up. why? people want to have stuff other don't, thats basically the only reason why. and will keep happening, it happened before and will happen again if someone find a rare 1st print of megaman where they say "megamam" in the back box text

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a pointless purchase, I can't imagine it holding the value when you consider just how many copies of Mario 3 there are out there, and owning a perfect copy of one doesn't really interest me when I have my slightly beat up copy (with box and manual) that holds many more memories for me. Even for the few sealed games I did get (Mega Man 5 and 6 being the main two), I ended up opening them immediately to play, because... that's what games do. Its not like I've not dropped some serious cash on my collection, but if I ain't playing it, it seems like a waste of money. But hey, I'll never understand sealed collectors...

It will assuredly increase in value. The problem with collectible oddities like this is finding a buyer when it comes time to sell.

Dealer A

Jan 13, 2018
Back when I was collecting heavily I would come across "Left Bros. 3" all the time. I knew they were a less common variant, but NO ONE CARED! I tried to sell them on eBay and at conventions for a mark up and got laughed at. It's interesting to see that they are now getting all this interest because one guy decided to splurge on one.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
its a rare variation of a very popular game. exactly for it being rare in a game that isnt supposed to have any rarer versions that the prices drive up. why? people want to have stuff other don't, thats basically the only reason why. and will keep happening, it happened before and will happen again if someone find a rare 1st print of megaman where they say "megamam" in the back box text

Yeah it's just something I'll never understand, at the end of the day to me it's a bit of cardboard that was misprinted attached to a video game that is still easily accessible.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
A sealed Mario 3 for that much? Good god. I knew nintendo was the best thing in life when I was a kid. If only I had the foresight to store a couple extra copies...
Oh I see it's a special one.. I think I may have seen this one in the rental shop. My grandmother read the title 'Super Mario 3 Bros.'

Oct 27, 2017
Jokes on him, I got mine for like $5 at a flea market in 95, and I bet I've enjoyed my copy far more than that one ever will be.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
So rich people shit, basically.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
There's no actual consistent system with retro grading. It's incredibly arbitrary and just meant for rich people to move money around in a way that dodges taxes.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
My oldest sealed game is a GBA one. Hopefully that will be worth somethig sometime

Golden Sun: The Lost Age

Obviously not this much, or even 1% of this

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
30 years from now, my sealed copy of Killzone Shadowfall is going to be worth millions, MILLIONS.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
this is an ongoing meme with influencers right now

buying stupidly expensive sealed copies of games and old boxes of pokemon/yugioh cards

look at this shit:

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
nothing wrong with it. It's like any rare type of collectible. Especially ones with misprints.

They appreciate in value the longer times go on usually