• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
Danganronpa V3 uses Clair De Lune by Debussy in a really cool way (that I cant really go into because spoilers), that one has stuck out to me as a great way to use that kind of classical music. I'd definitely like to see more games incorporate those kinds of classical songs into their soundtracks

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Maybe I'm just playing the wrong ones, idk

yeah, there's a LOT of games that use classical music, either real ones or heavily inspired from them

personally i love it, it's classical music in video game or in old cartoon like looney toons and tom and jerry that made me appreciate classical music in general

Also listen to dancing mad from FF6 if it's not already done

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
It's neither weird nor crazy. As someone who studied orchestral composition at university, I'd love to see broader musical representation in games. The push for more serious gaming has seen a lot of musical motif work for games be swapped out for more general underscore, but I miss them. Those themes connect you with an experience in a very unique way. Just think of how many classic motifs (Song of Time, Aerith's Theme, Super Mario Brothers theme) you can whistle without even thinking about it.

Oct 26, 2017

Loom, which is 30 years old, had a soundtrack and theme based heavily on Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake. This is literally and figuratively nothing new at all.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The use in Origami King was great

I didn't care for it in Kingdom Hearts, though. It felt weirdly juxtaposed with the frantic combat. Night on Bald Mountain is the only one that "fit" IMO.

Also does this count

(why do people insist on these 30 minute music loops)

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will take any and every opportunity I get to praise Echochrome. Not the biggest classical buff but it can work REALLY well in some games.

(the last song still holds the world record for longest piece written for a video game, IIRC.)

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
It's neither weird nor crazy. As someone who studied orchestral composition at university, I'd love to see broader musical representation in games. The push for more serious gaming has seen a lot of musical motif work for games be swapped out for more general underscore, but I miss them. Those themes connect you with an experience in a very unique way. Just think of how many classic motifs (Song of Time, Aerith's Theme, Super Mario Brothers theme) you can whistle without even thinking about it.
Pretty much this. And I love classical composition. I'm studying music, albeit on my own time, right now. I think that more inspiration from classical works would be wonderful.

Michilin

Nov 14, 2017
I present you Maestro! Jump in Music
619ZtexDtXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It's a rhythm game based on classical music

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
yeah, there's a LOT of games that use classical music, either real ones or heavily inspired from them

personally i love it, it's classical music in video game or in old cartoon like looney toons and tom and jerry that made me appreciate classical music in general

Also listen to dancing mad from FF6 if it's not already done

Thanks for the examples!