• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Clockwork Knight
released in 1995, with an artstyle inspired by Toy Story.
845756-clock_16.png

845740-clock_12.png
845759-clock_17.png

Olrac

Oct 26, 2017
California
Quick anecdote. The Saturn was the first console I ever modded to play Japanese games and use the expanded RAM cartridge. I ended up selling it back in the day, man, I wish I would have held onto it.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Linda³ Again
The game is based around the adventures of a man and woman who attempt to capture creatures to place on an ark while an asteroid hurdles towards their planet of Neo Kenya.
2462388-3.png
2462386-1.png
2205582-3.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
This will be the last game I post, I'm busy with my daughters :)

merry Christmas :)

Christmas Nights
released as a «christmas demo»
839515-christmasnights_1.png
446727-cnightspresents.jpg
416733-cnights18.png

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
My Saturn is broken and I think I'll just build an emulation computer to play my collection, too many gems I'm missing on. Screw modern games!

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Here's another style over substance 2D Platformer from the Saturn:

Tryrush Deppy

84b0b8c0-9e82-4ce5-9951-e4c52a39023c.jpg

288965-freeze2.gif

tumblr_nl8pej7V7Q1roqda3o1_500.gif

tumblr_nl87zarQ5C1roqda3o1_500.gifv

it's like Tempo mixed with the cab from Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
People always seem to forget that the Saturn was on the market for just a few years, a fraction of the time the PSX was alive. virtually every game released on the system was released before Metal Gear Solid on the PSX. Heck, most of the library was released before Final Fantasy VII released in the west. The Saturn had a lot more oomph in it that ever was shown, just as developers started getting their footing developing with the 5 microprocessors in the system, the plug was pulled.
Has the homebrew and indie scene picked up the torch? I know Genesis and Dreamcast projects are still being made today (Micro Mages on NES too). Would love an alternate reality where a NiGHTs sequel is on Saturn hardware. Or, any number of original games utilizing the different rendering the Saturn provided to make truly unique experiences.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Here is a canceled Sega Saturn game:

Shenmue
Never released, but when I beat Shenmue II, I unlocked a video.

Saturn35.jpg
Saturn31.jpg
Saturn10.jpg

Fun fact, Shenmue I and Shenmue II are my two favourite games. Seeing that Shenmue for Saturn had story bits of both is quite something.

Thats not the saturn version tho.

Sorry, guess it wasn't a good idea to try to do from my phone. Thank you for correcting me :)

In The Hunt
Side-scrolling arcade shooter developed and published by Irem. First developed for arcades, and then ported to the Sega Saturn, Sony Playstation and Windows PC.
781112-1178630831_01.png
781111-1178630831_00.png
781105-1178630829_03.png

Merry christmas Tailzo, thank you for the thread!
Thank you so much, makes me happy I made the thread :)

Has the homebrew and indie scene picked up the torch? I know Genesis and Dreamcast projects are still being made today (Micro Mages on NES too). Would love an alternate reality where a NiGHTs sequel is on Saturn hardware. Or, any number of original games utilizing the different rendering the Saturn provided to make truly unique experiences.

Take a look at this homebrew project:

Sonic Z-Treme
Homebrew project playable on a real Sega Saturn, looks good :) Read more at https://sonicfangameshq.com/forums/showcase/sonic-z-treme-saturn-sage-2018-demo.161/
sonicztreme3-png.2111
sonicztreme2-png.2110
sonicztreme1-png.2109

Also, Sega Saturn got quite a few multiplatform games, one of the weird ones:

Pocket Fighter
A casual fighting game spin-off of the versus puzzle game Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, featuring super-deformed versions of numerous fighters from the Street Fighter and Darkstalkers series.
328769-sgem7.jpg
328755-sgem32.jpg
328729-sgem10.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Another game my brother had and then sold....

Decathlete
Released in the arcade by Sega in 1995 with a subsequent home release on Saturn in 1996. It is called Athlete Kings in the USA and Europe. I remember it being very button mashy and fun.
GS-9150_4,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-4-DecAthlete-Satakore-JPN.jpg
GS-9150_16,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-16-DecAthlete-Satakore-JPN.jpg
GS-9150_10,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-10-DecAthlete-Satakore-JPN.jpg

SteamGear Mash
Isometric action adventure featuring occasional shooter elements released for the Sega Saturn in Japan.
1685069-t_10301g_11__sega_saturn_screenshot_11_steamgear_mash_jpn.jpg
1685067-t_10301g_7__sega_saturn_screenshot_7_steamgear_mash_jpn.jpg
1685066-t_10301g_5__sega_saturn_screenshot_5_steamgear_mash_jpn.jpg

Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu S
Sport - Baseball game, developed by Konami and released in Japan in 1997 for the Sega Saturn.
T-9523G_3,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-3-Jikkyou-Powerful-Pro-Yakyuu-S-JPN.jpg
T-9523G_7,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-7-Jikkyou-Powerful-Pro-Yakyuu-S-JPN.jpg
T-9523G_33,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-33-Jikkyou-Powerful-Pro-Yakyuu-S-JPN.jpg

Last edited:

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Another game my brother had and then sold....

Decathlete
Released in the arcade by Sega in 1995 with a subsequent home release on Saturn in 1996. It is called Athlete Kings in the USA and Europe. I remember it being very button mashy and fun.
GS-9150_4,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-4-DecAthlete-Satakore-JPN.jpg
GS-9150_16,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-16-DecAthlete-Satakore-JPN.jpg
GS-9150_10,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-10-DecAthlete-Satakore-JPN.jpg

SteamGear Mash
Isometric action adventure featuring occasional shooter elements released for the Sega Saturn in Japan.
1685069-t_10301g_11__sega_saturn_screenshot_11_steamgear_mash_jpn.jpg
1685067-t_10301g_7__sega_saturn_screenshot_7_steamgear_mash_jpn.jpg
1685066-t_10301g_5__sega_saturn_screenshot_5_steamgear_mash_jpn.jpg

Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu S
Sport - Baseball game, developed by Konami and released in Japan in 1997 for the Sega Saturn.
T-9523G_3,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-3-Jikkyou-Powerful-Pro-Yakyuu-S-JPN.jpg
T-9523G_7,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-7-Jikkyou-Powerful-Pro-Yakyuu-S-JPN.jpg
T-9523G_33,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-33-Jikkyou-Powerful-Pro-Yakyuu-S-JPN.jpg
I love Decathlete! And it's sequel, Winter Heat. One game I managed to get my mother into.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Keio 2 is my jam!

In terms of weird shit that no one talks about and is beautiful in its own special way, the Game-Ware series of "digital magazines" are a fucking treat. They're weird things full of demos, interviews, small original games, comics and a shit ton of weird Japanese ads.

The night before my wedding, my friends and I all got together, drank beer, ate pizza and explored Vol 1-4 and they sure are a thing that exists.

Nov 23, 2017
Great thread *looks at my totally not burned back up disc and totally not repro from Etsy collection*

at least you can get a COUPLE of japanese games for cheap still if you have an action replay/Pseudo

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
shining the holy ark was my favourite RPG ever. sux cos i've never met another irl human who's played it lol, i didn't even want it, i just woke up on xmas one year and my dad got it as one of my presents and said he saw me looking at it (it was kinda weird cos i don't think i asked for it so i was underwhelmed at first; never liked the other shining games cos i don't like turn based strategy), i never would've picked it out, but i loved it so much, the music is beautiful, the art was awesome, and it was a huge full fledged first person adventure which nothing else on the saturn at the time compared to. it was my ocarnia of time really as a saturn person. i usually hated RPGs back then but holy ark just did everything well even tho it was somewhat cliche i guess.

also three dirty dwarves is one of the best beatem ups of all time, that was another title that took my breath away at the time with the video clips and stuff, felt like an arcade game compared to the genesis games i was used to before

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
shining the holy ark was my favourite RPG ever. sux cos i've never met another irl human who's played it lol, i didn't even want it, i just woke up on xmas one year and my dad got it as one of my presents and said he saw me looking at it (it was kinda weird cos i don't think i asked for it so i was underwhelmed at first; never liked the other shining games cos i don't like turn based strategy), i never would've picked it out, but i loved it so much, the music is beautiful, the art was awesome, and it was a huge full fledged first person adventure which nothing else on the saturn at the time compared to. it was my ocarnia of time really as a saturn person. i usually hated RPGs back then but holy ark just did everything well even tho it was somewhat cliche i guess.

It's easily my favourite Saturn game. I played through it earlier in the year for the first time in about 15+ years. The game still holds up for me. I love the dungeon design, the Playmobile looking human characters and the amazing battle music. I found the game far more engaging than Shining Force III.

julian

Oct 27, 2017

also three dirty dwarves is one of the best beatem ups of all time, that was another title that took my breath away at the time with the video clips and stuff, felt like an arcade game compared to the genesis games i was used to before
We exist! We even sometimes make our avatars out of characters that originated in the game!

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Shining the Holy Ark has such cool atmosphere. I really liked my time with it and it's one of my favourite 32-bit RPG's. I also do think its visuals are definitely weird and beautiful even if it hasn't aged too gracefully.

qIvfGuy.png
Rf5LCJw.png
yBUSgQn.png
tigCPrp.png

Last edited:

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Ok you guys convinced me, I gotta get a Saturn. I know of a used game shop near me that has both US an JP games. I need to know some things before I bite on a console:

1) Is there any model that isn't region locked?

2) I'm worried about the state of Saturn discs. Is there a mod I could install that allows me to rip my discs and eventually play the backups once they fail?

3) What are some of the cheaper games?

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I loved In the Hunt and Dark Savior, but my most played Saturn game were...Sega Rally and Panzer Dragoon Saga! Awesome stuff.

btw, I might have misread, but at least in japan 13 sentinels include a remaster of Princess Crown.

Nov 23, 2017
Ok you guys convinced me, I gotta get a Saturn. I know of a used game shop near me that has both US an JP games. I need to know some things before I bite on a console:

1) Is there any model that isn't region locked?

2) I'm worried about the state of Saturn discs. Is there a mod I could install that allows me to rip my discs and eventually play the backups once they fail?

3) What are some of the cheaper games?
No and yeah, the Psuedo Saturn. It goes into the ram cart slot also works as a 4 mb one which is great if you like fighters

I'm not super sure abojt the current market so I wouldn't know, but I personally just buy them from japan and use text guides unless it's something like saga or sforce, then I'd get an English repro

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Someone is selling the spine of Super Tempo alone for $100 on Yahoo Auctions ...

The game itself is over 1000 USD (new) on Amazon.

God damn it.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
This thread is really making me want to pick up a Saturn...

It has been a childhood dream of mine ever since I played Nights in a Shopping Mall kiosk once.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
This actually showcases a trick the Saturn uses which makes it better suited for large, open world type games more like the N64 was full of, that the PSX struggled with. the Saturn could use one of the VDPs to create infinite, mode 7-like planes in hardware at zero performance cost. This let the saturn produce sprawling environments. Early saturn games would just use it like Mode 7, but Sonic Jam World shows a different way to use those planes, by compositing terrain on top of it to create complex worlds:

G6s4AB6.png

VjBT3lu.png

NiGHTS and Burning Rangers were Sonic Team showing how to create worlds on the saturn using explicit 3D geometry as opposed to using rotozoomed planes. Sonic Jam was showing how to combine the two techniques to make really large, complex worlds.
I'd love to see a full game developed in this style.
As much as I want a true 2D Saturn Sonic 4 (so basically native Mania without the level rehashing), seeing a true 3D Sonic game made to fit this aesthetic would be great.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
[]

Wachenroder, basically SF3: Lite. Super, super linear story, so you can play with a guide with absolutely no problem.

[/QUOTE]
i bought this game after reading good reviews and i didn't like it. I still managed to finish it, but without

i m also a very big fan of this game. I prefered it to shining force 3

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Excellent thread! Anyone brave enough to post the FMV 'model photographer' simulator with amazing cutscenes.

Fantastic Choice! I love the way that they used the flying to allow downwards jumping.

Also worth a mention is Sunsoft's other fighting game, Waku Waku 7.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Ive had this saturn hooked up for months and months now. Usually ony comes out for a few weeks at a time. I really bolstered my collection this time around so that helped. I wantnto pick up a few more gamesfor it. Mothing special, just playable multiplat games to round out my collection.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
They look so good I always wanted to try some but most games are either way to expensive or hard to get (or both). The system alone isn't easy to play on a modern TV. Same with Mega CD.
I recently bought an OSSC ($120-$150) which has massively revived my love for Sega Saturn. I actually sold a few rare Saturn games to help fund it!

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I could not remember the name of this but it was awesome another good game was three dirty dwarves
707009-ttd.jpg

Three Dirty Dwarfs was really one of the better Sega Soft releases. I also love the look of this game too, with its 90's era cartoon aesthetic, well animated sprites and great use of the Saturn's scaling and 3D capabilities. The game isn't as good as something like Guardian Heroes, but still a fun beat em up.

Also really liked Scud: Disposable Assassin for the Saturn as well:

This one has aged quite a bit worse, with its dated looking CG models. But the first person shooting segments still look pretty good to me.

The weirdest western made Sega Saturn game for me, is Mr. Bones:

Visually this game does have some interesting things going on for it though. Mr. Bones himself is really a 3D model made up of simple 2D sprites for each portion of his body. The main character animates really well. It is an odd game conceptually. It makes interesting use of CG FMV, live action FMV, some 3D effects.

But off topic from westren made Saturn games, I also have to give a nod to Spiritual Assassin Taromaru, which made great use of sprites and the Saturn's 3D capabilities:

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Shining Force 3 chapter 1
I am currently playing through this for the first time, and I am loving it. It is a top srpg and only the first was translated, but back in 2013 I was in Tokyo and bought all chapters in japanese that have been fan translated :) The early polygon style in battles might be weird now, but I like it :)

845967-sf319.png
845966-sf318.png
845961-sf313.png

Last edited:

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Played a lot like Virtua Fighter.

Fighters MegaMix really plays more like Fighting Vipers than it does play like Virtua Fighter. Fighters MegaMix was made using the Fighting Vipers game engine to accommodate for the armor/ walled arenas. This game also does not run in the Saturns high resolution mode, like VF2 does.

This was also, in some ways, the closest the Sega Saturn got to a Virtua Fighter 3. This game was also meant to be an introduction to Virtua Fighter 3 as well, The VF2 cast has most of their VF3 movesets in this game, and even hidden characters like Janet from Virtua Cop 2 has most of Aoi's (from VF3) movesetl. The game also has VF3's dodge move, and even has the VF3 announcer.

MegaMix is like a grabbag of every AM2 fighting game developed up to 1996. It's not a well balanced fighting game, because of it's wacky roster of characters, but I don;t think it was ever meant to be. But still one of the better 3D fighters on the system.

Last edited: