• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Their current label has certainly done a good job of keeping them consistently showing up in stuff, lol.

Haven't loved their last two albums but everything from Van Weezer is sounding pretty solid. If nothing else it'll be great to have Rivers unleash his seldom used shredding powers.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a bad song but kinda bland and forgettable. Hopefully not an omen for the movie.

I'm honestly surprised Weezer even still exists today since they only ever had one real hit with Teenage Dirtbag.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Both Bill & Ted and Weezer are something I'm not sure we need in 2020.

There are people out there that enjoy both, so that's a good thing. It's a tough time and art brings comfort to those it connects with.

It's okay if you don't like them. About a million other bands and movies for you to possibly enjoy. Never been a better time to seek it out.

Anyway, it's a pretty good song. More or less what I expect from Weezer in 2020 as a tie in to a movie franchise that leans into 80s rock.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Not familiar with the band at all, but I liked that.

Last edited:

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
The stone roses of america. Sounds okay, i haven't really dug anything they've done since Pinkerton

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I still love the shit out of Weezer. In fact I've discovered some of their more recent stuff in the past year is quite good. Pork N Beans is the ear-wormiest song I've heard in years. Also Back to the Shack is super good too.

This song's a bit generic, but still solid!

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still good shit. I've liked everything off Van Weezer thus far. And I didn't like the Black Album much at all.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are people out there that enjoy both, so that's a good thing. It's a tough time and art brings comfort to those it connects with.

It's okay if you don't like them. About a million other bands and movies for you to possibly enjoy. Never been a better time to seek it out.

Anyway, it's a pretty good song. More or less what I expect from Weezer in 2020 as a tie in to a movie franchise that leans into 80s rock.

It was a half joke. Bill & Ted is a fun product of a different time, and the trailers of the new one so far don't quite work for me yet. Similarly, Weezer's humor and attitude seems to be less and less interesting as time goes on, as the world and people change. Of course power to everyone who enjoy them still, Keanu has a decent radar for shitty movies nowadays so I hope him being on board means the movie won't just be a "remember the times when this was funny?" romp but an actual good comedy.

It was also a comment about how crazy it sounds that a Bill & Ted movie with the original actors and a Weezer song are coming in 2020 as opposed to, say, 2000.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Ah shit you're right. I blame it on the weekend.

Still, I can count the songs I know from Weezer on one hand as well.
Weezer hits that are well known:
  • Beverly Hills
  • Island in the Sun
  • Pork n Beans
  • My Name is Jonas
  • Buddy Holly
  • Say It Ain't So
  • We Are All on Drugs
  • Africa (cover)
You could probably argue a couple more. Like Perfect Situation or Hash Pipe. Now, I can name like 30 more because Weezer is a good band.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't bad. Especially compared to recent offerings. I do wish they would make something even comparable to Pinkerton , though.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
What a strange thread, several people not knowing who Weezer is... Maybe I'm just old. They had tons of hits including their Africa cover just 2 years ago so it can't be just that though.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
That's a beautiful combo. Looking forward to a new album!

Going back through some of their older songs, I never thought I'd ever get nostalgic over the Pork and Beans video. A window into a simpler time.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
That's a beautiful combo. Looking forward to a new album!

Going back through some of their older songs, I never thought I'd ever get nostalgic over the Pork and Beans video. A window into a simpler time.

They nailed it.
Ah, OG YouTube, I remember it well. Back when it was just regular people uploading funny shit.
10038678455_d34d042790_z.jpg

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Ah shit you're right. I blame it on the weekend.

Still, I can count the songs I know from Weezer on one hand as well.
Yeah Wheatus was a 1hw while Weezer has a shockingly large list of hits.

Everyone knows Buddy Holly and Say It Ain't So from the Blue Album. Undone (The Sweater Song) and My Name is Jonas from that same album were also pretty big. Other albums have Island in the Sun, Hash Pipe, Beverly Hills, Pork and Beans, Happy Hour, Perfect Situation, Thank God for Girls, Feels Like Summer. Then there's their cover of Africa which might be their most popular song since the Blue Album era.

But in terms of quality? Haha yeah. Most inconsistent band ever. They've put out some stinkers. Also popular!=good. Beverly Hills radio success was a curse to Weezer fans.

**Clarification: all of this is based on US numbers. I cannot speak to their popularity elsewhere.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good song.

Weezer has stayed pretty decent throughout their career. The only albums I don't have in rotation at all are Pacific Daydream and Black. And Teal, because the mixing on it is horrible.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Song does nothing for me but I hope this movie is good and Keanu remembers how to smile. He smirks a little at the end of the music video so I have hope.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't bad. Especially compared to recent offerings. I do wish they would make something even comparable to Pinkerton , though.
Asking a lot for dudes in their 50s to make the same music they made in their late 20s but I understand the sentiment. Assuming you're meaning stylistically and not just quality.

Stylistically, Do You Wanna Get High off of the White Album is super close to Pinkerton.

Really liking this song. Bummed that Van Weezer has been delayed even further into May 2021.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
While I feel Weezer albums are more hit than miss I still found that was surprisingly awesome. I thought it was inappropriate for what bill and Ted listened to until the solo in the middle though. Still overall not sure it would be their thing.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Asking a lot for dudes in their 50s to make the same music they made in their late 20s but I understand the sentiment. Assuming you're meaning stylistically and not just quality.

Stylistically, Do You Wanna Get High off of the White Album is super close to Pinkerton.

Really liking this song. Bummed that Van Weezer has been delayed even further into May 2021.

Pinkerton was pretty incredible songwriting. Do you want to get high was garbage.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
While I feel Weezer albums are more hit than miss I still found that was surprisingly awesome. I thought it was inappropriate for what bill and Ted listened to until the solo in the middle though. Still overall not sure it would be their thing.
I respect their persistence. Yes, they're hit and miss... but they keep going, and they're not afraid to fail, and that's awesome

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Pinkerton was pretty incredible songwriting. Do you want to get high was garbage.
Eh. It's no better or worse than Why Bother or The Good Life on that album. But yes as a whole lyrics for Weezer are pretty subpar in the past 20 years. That's what happens when you use Excel to write your songs.

But, I've never really listened to Weezer because of the lyrics. Primarily it's the hooks and crunchy guitars. :)

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017

Although from their tweet..:it sounds like they will release Ok Human this year instead...apparently it's produced by the same guy that did White and features a lot of piano and strings...could be cool...

Last edited:

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Eh. It's no better or worse than Why Bother or The Good Life on that album. But yes as a whole lyrics for Weezer are pretty subpar in the past 20 years. That's what happens when you use Excel to write your songs.

But, I've never really listened to Weezer because of the lyrics. Primarily it's the hooks and crunchy guitars. :)

I guess agree to disagree. Why bother and the good life fit the theme of the album and actually explored something personal to rivers. Lyrically it's nothing special, but it's also not as simplistic on the when as do you wanna get high.