• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
You may love smoking weed, but it does not love your heart, according to the American Heart Association's new scientific statement on marijuana.

"The American Heart Association recommends that people not smoke or vape any substance, including cannabis products, because of the potential harm to the heart, lungs and blood vessels," said Dr. Rose Marie Robertson, the deputy chief science and medical officer for the American Heart Association, in a statement

The statement found using weed has "the potential to interfere with prescribed medications" as well as "trigger cardiovascular conditions or events, such as heart attacks and strokes," said clinical pharmacologist Robert Page II, who chaired the medical writing group for the statement.
Anyone planning to use marijuana should discuss possible risks with their health professional first, said Page, who is a professor in the department of clinical pharmacy and physical medicine/rehabilitation at the University of Colorado Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences in Aurora, Colorado.

"If people choose to use cannabis for its medicinal or recreational effects, the oral and topical forms, for which doses can be measured, may reduce some of the potential harms," Page said in a statement.
"It is also vitally important that people only use legal cannabis products because there are no controls on the quality or the contents of cannabis products sold on the street," he added.
edition.cnn.com

Weed is not good for your heart, studies say | CNN

You may love smoking weed, but it does not love your heart, according to the American Heart Association's new scientific statement on marijuana.

Last edited:

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
tenor.gif

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I had better luck with edibles, the brands I've tried have super inconsistent dosage ranging from pleasant high to "why is the universe collapsing"

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wanna say edibles would be the better way to go, but the best way for edibles is through cookies and shit that is filled with sweetness and love.

mmmmm

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, combusting something into your body isn't going to be good for the heart no matter what it is.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Shocking that smoking is bad for your cardiovascular system lol.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
After a friend built up an edibles tolerance and literally had a schizophrenic / psychosis episode the other month, fuck edibles tbh

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or is your link and the posted article completely different?!

Also I'm more interested in long term damage findings than what the article is talking about. Anything could trigger the onset of a heart attack, I'm more interested in what causes the damage up until then.

Last edited:

NPVinny

Dec 13, 2017
I wanted to do a deeper dive into this so I clicked the link but it doesn't match up with the quoted text. I'm also not entirely sure they're saying that *only* smoking or vaping is bad, especially since the third paragraph starts with "using weed", which would include edibles.

OP
OP
Poetic Injustice
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or is your link and the posted article completely different?!

I wanted to do a deeper dive into this so I clicked the link but it doesn't match up with the quoted text. I'm also not entirely sure they're saying that *only* smoking or vaping is bad, especially since the third paragraph starts with "using weed", which would include edibles.

Apologies, I just fixed it.

edition.cnn.com

Weed is not good for your heart, studies say | CNN

Oct 27, 2017
That's not really what the article says. It says smoking anything can potentially be bad. However smoking isn't the only way to ingest weed

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
I wish I had better luck with edibles, the brands I've tried have super inconsistent dosage ranging from pleasant high to "why is the universe collapsing"
it's a constant struggle

at least when i make a big batch of my own stuff i learn how strong it is and can adjust how i use it after that. and it is cheap and lasts a long time!

my only thing with edibles is sometimes i just want to chill for a couple hours and not evaporate for an entire day.....and if i inhale i do vape 95% of the time but i cant pretend like i dont like smoking

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Seems like smoking is the problem

I really need to start learning to cook with it.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Well duh.

Wish I could agree on the edibles, they just never hit right for me. Even the same brand, the experience always varies and just leads me back to smoking.

And then stopping because my lungs.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
There's no conclusive evidence to show that consuming cannabis has any negative long-term effects on heart health. At best one could say "more research is needed"

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
The AMA recommends not to smoke or vape, but then the article never mentions vaping again, what the risk is from it, or how it compares to smoking.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Duh?

There's a reason I've never smoked anything in my 37 years, never even tried a cigarette.

There's also the fact that my dad died of lung cancer at 32 when I was 11.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to try moonrocks, but studies show they actually strand you on the moon for 12 hours, so I was like, nah.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
There is one caveat to all these research findings: Existing studies on marijuana and the heart are "short-term, observational and retrospective studies, which identify trends but do not prove cause and effect," Page said

Wish they could do more long term studies.

They conflate smoking and vaping too, I'd have to expect there to be a solid difference at least for the lungs. There's no way dry herb vaporizers are as bad as breathing in smoke

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I think an elevated heart rate is a side effect of taking weed in any form, right? Maybe this links in with that.