• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Got to fly across the county, rent a hotel room, rent a car. Now I get to wear a fucking tux for 5+ hours so I can watch a couple of people say "I do".

Great

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
You could have declined the invitation.

But you said tux, so I guess you're in the wedding party?

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
You don't have to go. In fact I'm sure they'd rather have people there to celebrate their wedding instead of shit on it.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
If you don't like those people enough to be at least a little bit happy for them, you could have declined the invitation...

The only selfish thing here seems to be you.

Hinkypunk

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
No shit. Weddings are a $30-50k event for people to congratulate and fawn over a social construct made for 2 specific people.

The fact that you thought this was insightful enough to create a snarky "prove me wrong" thread makes me think you are a real gem to be around.

Just decline the next invitation. The end.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be kind of hard to explain at this point, while I stand in my hotel room half naked.
I mean, why did you agree to go in the first place?

I'm cool with weddings, but actively skip them all the time if they're multiple states away.

If you're in the wedding party, you could have just said you can't make it due to work.

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
Weddings are often a huge unnecessary sink of money but for the people getting married not the guests. Guests typically get a pretty lavish party for a fairly paltry price.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
ITT: people who don't understand social obligations
Yes, it's an obligation, but you said yes and it would be nice to not be a shitty friend/family member to whoever is getting married that likes you so much they want you in their wedding party

This isn't about you, it's about you being there on the biggest day of their lives

Oct 29, 2017
This is a sad, sad way of looking at things. Only on resetera lol

Weddings are fun celebrations for people you care about.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Inherently they are self-serving. They are about two people wanting to publicly share their love for one another with their friends and family. That is not exactly the worst thing in the world. I do think these monster, expensive weddings are insane but what can you do? Don't go if you don't want to.

Frankly an open bar wedding can be fun!

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Ah in a lot of cases the couple have the wedding for others, not themselves.

Unless it's one of those "I've been dreaming of the perfect wedding since I was born" situations, it's a very selfless act.

Edit: this relates to my partner and I who would rather just get the papers signed...

People use "social obligations" as an excuse to do things they don't want to do and don't agree with all the time.

But you're an adult.

If you think something is a misguided tradition, then simply don't participate. You don't have to be an ass about it.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
So anything that has you doing something for the happiness of others is selfish
What the OP described is a huge sink of money and time for some people, just for a wedding. Let's not pretend some weddings aren't ridiculous in what they ask of the guests, putting them in the position of either having to commit or looking like a "bad friend" for declining.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
You're looking at it from a very pessimistic point of view, try to see it as you get to witness a really happy day for two people that (I assume) you care about, and with all the bad stuff that happens in the world you get a nice positive respite from that. Plus there's food and drinks, everyone will be havig a good time, soak in the good vibes dude, you only live once!

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I traveled 8 hours by plane, rented an Airbnb for a week, them had to drive a few hours and spent 7 hours at a wedding. You know what else? I loved every minute of it. I got to see my two best friends get married, and I could not have been happier about it.

Oct 25, 2017
You could say no. I almost said no to my last out of state invite, but then I got a ride and the hotel was paid for. Paid for the flight and tux rental which was no issue because I had time to prepare. Had a great time.

For certain people, I can do the retreat wedding. Go somewhere for a week or weekend and everyone is just in one big spot hanging out the whole time. But for most, I'll drive up to two hours hang out and then leave.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Boohoo. You voluntarily chose to attend the celebration of two people who love each other enough to try to dedicate their lives to their relationship. Poor you.

What heartless, selfish pricks. How dare they invite you to one of the happiest days of their lives. Fuck them for thinking you're an important enough part of their life to share in that joy.

And you have to wear a tux for 5 entire hours. Wow. The horror.

You have all my sympathy, OP. I can't imagine the pain you're experiencing right now. Are you setting up a gofundme? I'll happily donate to help ease your suffering.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, weddings are about a couple celebrating their commitment to each other and spending thousands of dollars on themselves and to host a large number of people.

It's literally not about you

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Plus, it isn't selfish because they invited you, they wanted *you* to be a part of a wonderful day and a good time! Like, don't you think that is really nice of them?

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mine didn't ask any guests to go further than 20 miles, any suit was fine for the ceremony and dinner, you could go smart casual for the evening party if you wanted. Your food was paid for, your first 4 drinks were paid for and various bits of our homemade decorations were given away to guests at the end of the night such as the centrepieces. If you couldn't make it that was fine, no harm done. We asked for no gifts but still got some anyway. How was that selfish?

it's also the most money I've ever spent in one go and practically all of it was going to feeding the guests.

Kinglypuff

Nov 13, 2018
It's 2 people wanting to celebrate an important moment in their life, and I don't see why they shouldn't. You should stop being so cynical.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
someone else pays for me to party and I only have to give a gift in exchange?

I think it's awesome.

OP
OP
fick

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Yes, it's an obligation, but you said yes and it would be nice to not be a shitty friend/family member to whoever is getting married that likes you so much they want you in their wedding party

This isn't about you, it's about you being there on the biggest day of their lives

Yeah, which is why I'm posting on a forum and not venting to them.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Weddings are not selfish.

The amount of money most people spend on it is. Like had lots of friends do like barbecue weddings and they were as awesome as the ones that rented a farm

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
They are inherently indulgent activities but that's kinda the point - you're not obliged to go.

I admit I prefer low-key weddings without much fuss but if travel is too much just don't go. I've been to one destination wedding and had a great time which (mostly) cancelled out the hassle of flights/cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.