• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Currently trying to register for twitch and this is annoying as hell. See also: twitter, instagram. Every username gets taken by stupid bot accounts, so even putting in random letter/number combinations doesn't work half of the time. Why do sites do this? Just let me sign up with my email, then allow me to make a nickname (which doesn't have to be unique).

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
How'd that work? Like, for twitter, without a unique name, how'd people reach your feed?
Or twitch, someone wants to view a stream by a user, where does he go without unique name?

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
How would expect URLs to work with the sites you listed? Usernames are like domain names for sites like twitter and instagram.

OP
OP
leder

leder

Oct 25, 2017
How'd that work? Like, for twitter, without a unique name, how'd people reach your feed?
It works on steam. You can search a username and it will give you matches, or you can search an email. They could also generate a unique ID for every account (I'm sure they do this in the background anyway) and let you search on that as well for an exact match.

How would expect URLs to work with the sites you listed? Usernames are like domain names for sites like twitter and instagram.

Great idea. Visit me at twitch.tv/email(at)mail.com

How many people actually use the internet like that now? People don't type in URLs by hand, they just search google or use the search feature of whatever app/site they're using.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
It works on steam. You can search a username and it will give you matches, or you can search an email. They could also generate a unique ID for every account (I'm sure they do this in the background anyway) and let you search on that as well for an exact match.
Sure. "Look me up at twitch.tv/467518467694".
Catchy..

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
It is pretty annoying. I wish they would at least automatically delete accounts that have been inactive for years. I want my Twitter handle to be the same as everywhere else but someone has it and doesn't even use Twitter - the account was made in 2010, has 3 tweets and 0 followers/following.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
This would work very well on closed systems, and i assume most already do this. I also think for the most part we could live without these kinds of efforts for the user.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
I usually end up having to use ArtVande1ay. I should come up with something more unique one of these days.

OP
OP
leder

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if your peak of Username creativity is "Leder", no wonder. It's otherwise really not that hard.
No reason for the personal dig, either contribute to the topic or see yourself out. Did you miss the part where random number/letter strings aren't even available on twitter?

I'm fairly certain that the vast majority of people use their browser. Losing that url seems detrimental.
It's a tradeoff. Clearly the future of these services is a closed environment like a mobile app, tv app, console app, etc. (in particular for viewers, less obviously so for streamers).

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
No reason for the personal dig, either contribute to the topic or see yourself out.

Nah, it isn't, it really is just no wonder if you want to have that as a name, it would be the same if I try to register myself as Stone or Rock or Jeans and then complain if that isn't free anymore.
It's just not unique, it's a normal thing.

But it should have a shit ton of combinations so you should be able to find something at least.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The recaptcha shit needs to go forth. Having to do one every time it rejects an new password is fucking annoying.

OP
OP
leder

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it isn't, it really is just no wonder if you want to have that as a name, it would be the same if I try to register myself as Stone or Rock or Jeans and then complain if that isn't free anymore.
It's just not unique, it's a normal thing.

But it should have a shit ton of combinations so you should be able to find something at least.
Again:
Did you miss the part where random number/letter strings aren't even available on twitter?

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
It's a tradeoff. Clearly the future of these services is a closed environment like a mobile app, tv app, console app, etc. (in particular for viewers, less obviously so for streamers).
I mean, the future will include those, but there's zero reason to believe that Browser streaming will go away.
The tradeoff seems really bad, trading convenient URLs for the ability to have loads of people with the same name, including people spoofing popular streamer names to spam stupid things in chats.

Same for twitter, btw. It's already bad enough right now with fake accounts.

OP
OP
leder

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the future will include those, but there's zero reason to believe that Browser streaming will go away.
The tradeoff seems really bad, trading convenient URLs for the ability to have loads of people with the same name, including people spoofing popular streamer names to spam stupid things in chats.

Same for twitter, btw. It's already bad enough right now with fake accounts.
Plenty of other companies have figured it out

OP
OP
leder

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Source please. Which service comparable to twitch allows a zillion users with the same display name while not having a simple URL for their users? How did they figure that out?
You're handwaving real issues in favor of minor convenience.
I mean, twitter itself does it. You can change your display name. You just have to register with some bullshit unique name first, which seems completely unnecessary given that you also need a phone number or email address. It's probably just some legacy requirement that would be a ton of work to update (like PSN names).

IMO being able to navigate directly to their URL is a minor convenience. I'm sure this isn't the primary way that people find accounts.

Last edited:

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I mean, twitter itself does it. You can change your display name. You just have to register with some bullshit unique name first.
So twitter doesn't really do it.
Again, what you want is to give up handy features for convenience. You're crazy if you think this would be good for streamers or viewers.
The URL is and will remain the easiest way go tell someone how to access a stream from any modern phone or browser, without downloading or installing anything. Is there any advantage to the proposed change besides "I can use a name that's already taken"?
It'll already be a disadvantage for stuff like chat impersonation, so it better add something good too.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
When you are contributing content user names are a must. if you're primary use for a site is ordering or subscribing then no. That being said places could at least just use email for users and then let them choose a display name/handle secondary and use a system like discord with having a "[handle]####" account name.

OP
OP
leder

leder

Oct 25, 2017
So twitter doesn't really do it.
How exactly is letting you change your display name not letting you change your display name?

Again, what you want is to give up handy features for convenience. You're crazy if you think this would be good for streamers or viewers.
The URL is and will remain the easiest way go tell someone how to access a stream from any modern phone or browser, without downloading or installing anything. Is there any advantage to the proposed change besides "I can use a name that's already taken"?
It'll already be a disadvantage for stuff like chat impersonation, so it better add something good too.

I use the browser version of twitch primarily, and I never use people's URLs directly. I always use search. The solution of forcing everyone to make a unique registration name doesn't actually solve the discoverability problem, because inevitably as the service gets older and more bots make accounts, usernames will get more random and harder to remember. So you are already in a situation where you have "hey come follow me at twitch.tv.crazyf1ght1nggamestreamer268334". The status quo actually doesn't solve this problem. Using native search features is a much better solution.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
How exactly is letting you change your display name not letting you change your display name?
Twitter still forces you to pick a unique name first, which is the actual name of your account and always visible while tweeting.
This doesn't work on twitch, like I said, because of chat. Unless you're cool with dozens people called [streamer's name] spamming a popular streamer's chat

I use the browser version of twitch primarily, and I never use people's URLs directly. I always use search. The solution of forcing everyone to make a unique registration name doesn't actually solve the discoverability problem, because inevitably as the service gets older and more bots make accounts, usernames will get more random and harder to remember. So you are already in a situation where you have "hey come follow me at twitch.tv.crazyf1ght1nggamestreamer268334". The status quo actually doesn't solve this problem. Using native search features is a much better solution.
1. You don't use it, and many people do. You not using it doesn't mean it's not a more important feature than having the same name as other people on the platform.

2. You're just making stuff up here. You don't have that situation, you're just forcing some creativity.
Get outta here with that "crazyf1ght1nggamestreamer268334" hyperbole.
Here are some available URLs based on "leder": ledershoe. onlyleder. lederleder. ledergames. lederleather. fulleder. maximumleder. lederontwitch. lederwastaken. leder1. leder3. leder_. ledertwitch. twitchleder.
There are literally hundreds of thousands of easy to come up with nicknames available on twitch. You're inventing a problem that's not even close to existing.

Edit:
I missed it before, but:
How many people actually use the internet like that now? People don't type in URLs by hand, they just search google or use the search feature of whatever app/site they're using.
What are you basing this on?

OP
OP
leder

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Twitter still forces you to pick a unique name first, which is the actual name of your account and always visible while tweeting.
This doesn't work on twitch, like I said, because of chat. Unless you're cool with dozens people called [streamer's name] spamming a popular streamer's chat
It's not necessary though because you already give them unique information in the form of email or phone number. They could randomly generate your hardcoded username and it wouldn't make a difference.

Twitch chat is also already solidly a complete cesspool that's impossible to follow. I don't see how this would make things worse.

1. You don't use it, and many people do. You not using it doesn't mean it's not a more important feature than having the same name as other people on the platform.

2. You're just making stuff up here. You don't have that situation, you're just forcing some creativity.
Get outta here with that "crazyf1ght1nggamestreamer268334" hyperbole.
Here are some available URLs based on "leder": ledershoe. onlyleder. lederleder. ledergames. lederleather. fulleder. maximumleder. lederontwitch. lederwastaken. leder1. leder3. leder_.
There are literally hundreds of thousands of easy to come up with nicknames available on twitch. You're inventing a problem that's not even close to existing.
It's not a problem today, so it will never be a problem? That's some pretty awful logic. Especially when it is already an issue today on twitter, which you keep ignoring.

Edit:
I missed it before, but:

What are you basing this on?
I'm basing it on my experience working on UX, but mostly anecdotes, same as you. Neither of us have access to these services' internal usage metrics, so that's the best we can do.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Currently trying to register for twitch and this is annoying as hell. See also: twitter, instagram. Every username gets taken by stupid bot accounts, so even putting in random letter/number combinations doesn't work half of the time. Why do sites do this? Just let me sign up with my email, then allow me to make a nickname (which doesn't have to be unique).

Uhh, how that would work, your screen name is public. You can't have the same name

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
It's not necessary though because you already give them unique information in the form of email or phone number. They could randomly generate your hardcoded username and it wouldn't make a difference.
That... doesn't make sense. Again, the chat problem. If people choose their display names, how do you differentiate them in chat? You started talking about twitch, so don't ignore that part.
If you just mean twitter: Sure, randomly generate the hard names. But it's not necessary on twitter either.

It's not a problem today, so it will never be a problem? That's some pretty awful logic. Especially when it is already an issue today on twitter, which you keep ignoring.
It's not a problem today or tomorrow, so how about we tackle it when it becomes one? Or when it is close to becoming one.
It's not an issue on twitter either. You want me to list a thousand names including "leder" you could take?

I'm basing it on my experience working on UX, but mostly anecdotes, same as you. Neither of us have access to these services' internal usage metrics, so that's the best we can do.
Sure, but it doesn't work the same both ways:
You can say "nobody does it" and I can say "Well, I do it, and I know people who do it". The end result is: It is being done. Anecdotal, but one of the two claims kinda works against the other.

OP
OP
leder

leder

Oct 25, 2017
That... doesn't make sense. Again, the chat problem. If people choose their display names, how do you differentiate them in chat?
Twitch chat is already a complete shithole that serves no function other than selling emotes. lmao at risking degrading it. There are also easy workarounds. You could have "chosen name (account ID)" display instead of "chosen name". You could have options to display one or the other, or both, just like how slack does it. So it's not an issue.

It's not a problem today or tomorrow, so how about we tackle it when it becomes one? Or when it is close to becoming one.
It's not an issue on twitter either. You want me to list a thousand names including "leder" you could take?
You're completely missing the point.
Sure, but it doesn't work the same both ways:
You can say "nobody does it" and I can say "Well, I do it, and I know people who do it". The end result is: It is being done. Anecdotal, but one of the two claims kinda works against the other.
Again, it's a tradeoff.

Uhh, how that would work, your screen name is public. You can't have the same name
Plenty of other services manage it. Discord, steam, slack, twitter (even though it forces you to sign up with a unique name first), facebook (at least it used to, deleted mine a while back).

The very first thing I tried, literally, was available. Just tried Leder89, is free.

Lmao.
Yall, I'm not asking for help coming up with a username. lmao.

Last edited:

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Twitch chat is already a complete shithole that serves no function other than selling emotes. lmao at risking degrading it. There are also easy workarounds. You could have "chosen name (account ID)" display instead of "chosen name". You could have options to display one or the other, or both, just like how slack does it. So it's not an issue.
No it's not. Not everywhere. There is absolutely a risk of making things worse, saying "it's bad already so who cares" is lazy.
Easy workarounds? You clearly don't use twitch chat. You're proposing cluttering everything up just to save people 10 seconds while registering ONCE.

You're completely missing the point.
They point is you're unwilling to take a few seconds while registering, it seems. There current system works wonderfully.
If you truly feel that a different system could work better, try to come up with one, real quick, and list the benefits for me. Because I just don't see them.

The very first thing I tried, literally, was available. Just tried Leder89, is free.
Yeah, I'm confused at the problem at this point. Even creating a thread is probably more work than coming up with unique names for 10 websites.

OP
OP
leder

leder

Oct 25, 2017
No it's not. Not everywhere. There is absolutely a risk of making things worse, saying "it's bad already so who cares" is lazy.
Easy workarounds? You clearly don't use twitch chat. You're proposing cluttering everything up just to save people 10 seconds while registering ONCE.
I try not to use twitch chat because it's garbage. If you see 40k people watching a stream, notice that you see a very small fraction of those people actually using chat. And thank god for that. Twitch chat is already broken.

They point is you're unwilling to take a few seconds while registering, it seems. There current system works wonderfully.
If you truly feel that a different system could work better, try to come up with one, real quick, and list the benefits for me. Because I just don't see them.

Yeah, I'm confused at the problem at this point. Even creating a thread is probably more work than coming up with unique names for 10 websites.
The point is it's a pain in the ass to make some bullshit username for every single site I use, and there's little benefit. You guys keep taking the small brained approach that this only applies to twitch. I am making a broader argument.

It also sucks to not get the username you actually want. It sucks never being able to change it if you ever change your mind. Is that so hard to understand?

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I try not to use twitch chat because it's garbage. If you see 40k people watching a stream, notice that you see a very small fraction of those people actually using chat. And thank god for that. Twitch chat is already broken.
I use it a lot when watching ~4-6k streamers, and it's good talking. I wouldn't want to complicate things by having a system that potentially allows multiple same names in a chat, especially if done for trolling purposes.

The point is it's a pain in the ass to make some bullshit username for every single site I use, and there's little benefit. You guys keep taking the small brained approach that this only applies to twitch. I am making a broader argument.
The small brained approach, Jesus Christ. Sorry for being so small brained that I don't see the problem with making up usernames.
How many websites to you register for? I can make up a nickname on the spot that'll work for 99% of websites. Guaranteed. It'll be easy to remember and free everywhere.
The broader argument is still "Let's change a known system to save seconds, maybe even minutes, over the span of years".
I doubt I'll ever agree, and to be frank, I doubt you'll find more than a fraction of people who will.

OP
OP
leder

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I use it a lot when watching ~4-6k streamers, and it's good talking. I wouldn't want to complicate things by having a system that potentially allows multiple same names in a chat, especially if done for trolling purposes.
Lord knows that twitch chat doesn't have a problem with trolling today. Wouldn't want to tip the balance there. To your concern, there are numerous ways to handle this, including a couple that I posted above. It's not an unsolvable problem. I'm sure people smarter than me could think of even better ways.

The small brained approach, Jesus Christ. Sorry for being so small brained that I don't see the problem with making up usernames.
How many websites to you register for? I can make up a nickname on the spot that'll work for 99% of websites. Guaranteed. It'll be easy to remember and free everywhere.
The broader argument is still "Let's change a known system to save seconds, maybe even minutes, over the span of years".
I doubt I'll ever agree, and to be frank, I doubt you'll find more than a fraction of people who will.
There are many benefits from allowing you to use a non-unique username, if you're not even going to bother reading the thread I'm not going to bother to keep responding to you.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Lord knows that twitch chat doesn't have a problem with trolling today. Wouldn't want to tip the balance there. To your concern, there are numerous ways to handle this, including a couple that I posted above. It's not an unsolvable problem. I'm sure people smarter than me could think of even better ways.
I'm sure it's possible, but again, the amount of work for this is so high that it won't happen, because your issue is just not a general issue.

There are many benefits from allowing you to use a non-unique username, if you're not even going to bother reading the thread I'm not going to bother to keep responding to you.
Yeah alright. I read every single word you wrote, but nowhere can I see any benefits besides "it's a bit easier".
I think you're a bit obsessed with a problem that isn't there. No need to respond I guess, I'll be awaiting the dreadful username shortage we'll experience any day now.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Discord gives you a number. Everyone could do that.
Sure, but I still think the benefits of having url.url/Name are greater than being able to pick your own "soft" username and change it. A twitter like system, I could buy. Have a "hard" and a "soft" name. Everything with a social media aspect, IMO, works better with a username than with a number.

Look. THERE. WERE. NO. BUSSES. THERE. I clicked all the damn busses!

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You have 2 different IDs on Steam: think of it like an account name and a profile name.
Your profile name is interchangeable the account name is the important one that also has to be unique. Same like Twitter, Discord, Steam and so on which all show your account name plus your profile name. Even ResetEra is using the same system. You could technically also use that system on Twitch - but the account name would need to remain the primary important one and changing a profile name would easily lead to a lot of impersonating there.