• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jogger-style sweatpants in casual public settings?

• Fo' sho'

Votes: 567 80.2%
  • Faux pas

Votes: 140 19.8%

• Total voters

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I don't because I feel like an asshole wearing athleisure clothing in public, but I don't have any kind of negative attitude toward other people doing it.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I didn't know there's any "stigma" around sweats in public. Never gave a shit what anyone thinks anyway lol.

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
The pandemic has def changed the way I view casual clothing now. I used to wear jeans all day every day, now I wear track pants or joggers. Dgaf

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Anyone who cares what anyone else is wearing outside things that are offensive/obscene/nasty is someone who's opinion is instantly invalidated for me anyway.

We're only on this hellish rock for a few short years. Rock out with your crocs out. If I'm not at work its Joggers all day baybeee.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
Healthcare workers have been getting away with it for years by just wearing scrub pants and t-shirts. Comfortable but professional.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I wear sweatpants to go to the gym, take out the trash, etc. I'll even wear them if I go to the Starbucks downstairs. But I'll wear jeans or shorts for everything else.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I have seen countless photos of celebrities walk with them around all the time. If they can do it so can you op.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
Joggers became popular for a reason:

that reason being that, like women's fashion figured out after the early 00s, low-rise skinny jeans are incredibly uncomfortable and not even flattering. As someone who wore jeans 24/7, I embrace the change.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
I'll wear polyester joggers to run errands when the weather permits and they look great with white sneakers.

Oct 27, 2017
I have no problem with anyone wearing jogging clothes in any social or professional situation. Be comfy when you can.

However, I can't do it. Despite how comfy they are, I don't feel comfortable wearing them outside. I blame the Seinfeld bit where he equates sweat pants with telling the world that you've given up.

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
I like to wear them but I have to do some stupid ass configurations so my dick doesn't print through the pants

Last edited:

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I've complained about this before, but I've seen dozens of makeover reality show episodes (various series, not just one) where the person in question was damn near savaged by the style experts because they DARED to go to the fucking grocery store in sweats and a tee.

Like, I get that it can be helpful for self-esteem and confidence to dress your best and have the outside reflect what's inside, but if you're out for 5 minutes grabbing some cat litter and a frozen pizza who gives a fuck? You're out running various errands, shopping for new clothes, getting a bite to eat, etc.? Ehh, maybe dress in a way that implies you've bathed and freshened up or something, but you don't need to be clubbing-ready.

As for OP's example: I think jogging pants are fine, especially how the pic shows them. Now, if you're out in tiny running shorts, a thin tank, running shoes, and a sweatband? It may seem odd because it looks like you specifically geared up for training/running/etc. At the end of the day tho, people should dress however they want and not succumb to social pressure unless what they're doing is obviously problematic.

brotherbean

Oct 26, 2017
2019? Nah. 2020 and beyond? I honestly rarely wear anything else unless I'm going out to dinner or something. With working from home, 2020 became the year of the track pants revival for me. At some point joggers kind of pushed their way in and now it's a back and forth between those two while my old jeans sigh dejectedly from their undisturbed shelf in the closet.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They are only for gym or lounging in my mind. You do you though. Like obviously there are exceptions when it doesn't make sense to change into another set of clothes but the cultural trend in NA has been shifting a lot to very casual wear. Most stores I see now are going heavy on that.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
Don't normally pay attention to what other people are wearing but I saw a guy in pyjama bottoms at the grocery store yesterday and that definitely got my attention.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
This if it's cold and gym shorts if it's hot are what I wear 99% of the time.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I love joggers! Depending on the fabric they are made out of they can look a little more presentable. Like I've had a pair made out of khaki material.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
If I don't have to dress up or formal, I'm wearing sweatpants or joggers.

They're comfortable and go with anything. Past the point of caring of what people think tbh.

jleo

Aug 12, 2021
I wouldn't wear sweats in public but it's common to see around here.. even worse are pajama pants, though.

Oct 25, 2017
No, not even once for me in those. I have a few pair for lounging or an early morning (cold) run, but not even for picking the kids up from daycare. I also do not like wearing shorts in a non work-out/outdoor activity environment despite living in houston.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
No problem with it, spent tons of time in them past couple years especially.

As long as they fit well anyway, I've got some really loose comfy ones I'll just lay around in.