• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Alan-Wake.jpg
Fans of Alan Wake may be waiting a while for Alan Wake 2, if it happens at all.

During PAX East, we got a chance to chat with Thomas Puha, director of communications at Remedy Games, and we asked about the possibility of a sequel to the psychological horror series.

"We were working on Alan Wake 2 years ago and it just didn't pan out, so there's nothing – we're just booked solid for the next couple of years, really," Puha explained. "We do own the Alan Wake IP, but it's never quite as simple as that, but yeah, we do own it."

Right now, the team is focused on finishing up Control, a supernatural shooter in which you can telekinetically manipulate the environment to crush enemies with debris. Over the last year, Puha says a lot of work has gone into polishing and refining the story which leans into the 'new weird' literary genre and sees you exploring beyond the boundaries of our own world.
VG247

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
A bummer but at least it's in a healthy rest status instead of somewhere in licensing limbo or at some other developers hands under lock and key.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Aw, I freaking adored Alan Wake. I hope they do revisit it at some point. I'm surprised they haven't "cashed in" considering the acclaim it received.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the good tradition of the franchise, every chapter has a messy development. The first game is one of my all-time most memorable gaming experiences, and it held up beautifully even with the DLCs. That stand-alone half-assed sequel with like 90 minutes of new content and the second half of the game literally rehashing it was... not a worthy continuation of the franchise, to put it mildly. I'd love to play an actual proper sequel to the game one day, as the game's world and story have tons of potential. Aside from Max Payne (which they aren't involved with anymore), it's by far their most interesting IP, and it'd be such a shame if it never properly continued. AFAIK the franchise sold rather well and has quite a cult status, so maybe one day...

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame. Alan Wake had a great atmosphere. Something completely devoid in that turd Quantum break. And nothing I've seen from Control looks like it's much better tbh.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Why were they working on Alan Wake two years ago? Its been out for nearly 10 years! Bit late for a patch

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
"We were working on Alan Wake 2 years ago and it just didn't pan out... "

.. Not sure what to think about this comment. What did not pan out? Not enough money, not enough interest? Too busy making QB or Control? Seems weird to bring AW up now.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Would've really liked a sequel just because I thought the first one had a great premise but just didn't cut it as a game. I was curious to see if they would flesh out the actual gameplay at the time in a sequel.

Thomas Puha

Head of Comms at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Jan 15, 2018
Espoo, Finland
None of this of course is all that new if you have followed the story. We even released a video of the prototype to Polygon many years ago.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
The video material that's out there looked really cool. I hope they do continue it one day. Love those games.

Why were they working on Alan Wake two years ago? Its been out for nearly 10 years! Bit late for a patch
Oh you. My syntax teachers would have loved this.

None of this of course is all that new if you have followed the story. We even released a video of the prototype to Polygon many years ago.
That's the one I meant! Thanks for chiming in.

And ppppllllleeeeeaaaasssseee consider returning to this franchise one day. I've enjoyed all Remedy games (that I've played) so far but, as a huge Twin Peaks fan, Alan Wake holds a special place in my heart.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd rather another Max Payne developed by Remedy. Alan Wake is cool though. Encounters are kind of repetitive though and the vehicle section is atrocious. I had a blast with American Nightmare.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
Sad, but glad they went all in on weird again with Control. Their last game didn't feel weird enough for me, but extra dimensional building full of freaky stuff is right up my alley

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
I'd rather another Max Payne developed by Remedy. Alan Wake is cool though. Encounters are kind of repetitive though and the vehicle section is atrocious. I had a blast with American Nightmare.

I hate how rockstar bought the IP but will most likely never make another title again since they are busy with their cash cows now.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just excited they seem to have something else lined up after Control too. All their projects are interesting.
Yeah, I was wondering why no one else in the thread was bringing that up :P

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Too bad, Alan Wake is easily one of top 10 games of last gen, so much good and different than any other game.
We really need Alan Wake 2.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, this is nothing new.

The status of the sequel has been refreshingly candid for awhile now.

That doesn't mean I don't want Alan Wake 2 any less. There's so much untapped potential.

Though for the sequel, I think it would be refreshing to play as Alice, his wife. She's got an actual phobia of the dark, and I would love to have her fight the living embodiment of those fears instead of being stuck as the damsel in distress again.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sad to hear.

I loved Alan Wake story and its arcade like shooting mechanics. Simple yet rewarding.

Deleted member 49132

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I hate how rockstar bought the IP but will most likely never make another title again since they are busy with their cash cows now.
By cash cows do you mean their critically acclaimed masterpiece-tier single player games (with online components included as a bonus to said games)? The ones that take 5-8 years to make?

Edit: these "cash cows"?

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/grand-theft-auto-v

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/red-dead-redemption-2

I want a new Max Payne game as much as anybody, but people need to separate their opinions from reality.

Last edited:

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I hate the Remedy non conmitment to their games. That is the reason I'm not playing Control. I don't want to live -a third time- expecting a conclusion to a story it's never coming, like I do with Alan Wake and Quantum Break.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Sad to hear.

I loved Alan Wake story and its arcade like shooting mechanics. Simple yet rewarding.
I feel like American Nightmare in particular evolved those mechanics really well. Gimme a sequel with lots of varied environments (including crazy dreamlike stuff as in the awesome DLC) and further improved mechanics and it's gonna be glorious!

daevv

Oct 27, 2017
Sad to hear. Love the game, it's DLC, and the seperate XBLA game. Bought a 360 based on screen shots and story discription just before it got delayed a second or third time. Picked up the deluxe edition and Red Dead Redemption the same day. Played way more Alan Wake that summer. Good times.

Oct 25, 2017
This will never not hurt to read. I still believe, and will never stop believing. One of my most wanted things in video games.

I need to see more of that deeper, darker ocean green, where waves are both wilder and more serene.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I remember the Alan Wake 2 footage/prototype they showed to Polygon a few years ago:

It breaks my heart.

d5jJGWr.png

^ This was my avatar for seven years on old Gaf and the first months here.
Alan Wake even kickstarted my interest and love for Twin Peaks. I miss Alan :/

Oct 27, 2017
Aw, I freaking adored Alan Wake. I hope they do revisit it at some point. I'm surprised they haven't "cashed in" considering the acclaim it received.

I don't recall it selling much when it launched. I think word-of-mouth and Steam sales and such over the years have probably let its popularity and sales to grow, but I can't help but think it would still be a niche release if they made a sequel.

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is being so nice lately that I bet they'd be ok with allowing it to be multiplatform with another publisher funding it. Please make it happen, anyone. :(

505? Focus Home? Please.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I don't recall it selling much when it launched. I think word-of-mouth and Steam sales and such over the years have probably let its popularity and sales to grow, but I can't help but think it would still be a niche release if they made a sequel.
3 Million at launch, up to 4.5 Million in 2015 according to a quick Google and a GameSpot article from 2015. It sold a further 2 million with its Steam release in 2018. You may be right that it could still be niche, but the amazing reception of the first game might push it into something more. Something that sold significantly more than the adventurous but disappointing Quantum Break anyway.