• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Biggest long-awaited game announcement this gen?

• Battletoads

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Metroid Prime 4

Votes: 59 9.6%
  • Half-Life: Alyx

Votes: 120 19.6%
  • FFVII Remake

Votes: 353 57.6%
  • REmake 2

Votes: 27 4.4%
  • Halo on PC

Votes: 11 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 39 6.4%

• Total voters

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
I've been wanting to make this thread for awhile, and with today's release of Half-Life: Alyx & first screenshot of Stalker 2, I knew it was finally time. This gen is soon coming to a close, and with it we saw so many unbearably long waits for hugely anticipated titles finally come to an end. We've been seriously spoiled this gen. Some of us went from kids to grey hair over the course of these waits.

Battletoads - 26+ years (1994's Battletoads Arcade)
System Shock 3 - 21+ years (1999's SS2)
Shenmue 3 - 18 years (2001's Shenmue 2)
REmake 2 - 17 years (2002's REmake)
Vampire: The Masquerade - 16+ years (2004's VtM: Bloodlines)
Metroid Prime 4 - 13+ years (2007's MP3: Corruption)
Half-Life: Alyx - 13 years (2007's HL2: Ep2)
Halo on PC - 13 years (2007's Halo 2 Vista)
Doom 2016 - 12 years (2004's Doom 3)
Ace Combat 7 - 12 years (2007's AC6)
Stalker 2 - 11+ years (2009's Call of Pripyat)
The Last Guardian - 11 years (2005's SotC)
Star Wars Battlefront 2015 - 10 years (2005's SWBF2)
Spyro - 10 years (2008's Dawn of the Dragon)
Crash Bandicoot - 9 years (2008's Mind over Mutant)
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 8 years (2010's RDR)
Mega Man 11 - 8 years (2010's MM10)

I'm sure I'm missing some too. There's been so many that I couldn't fit them all on the poll, so I tried to pick the ones I'm guessing the most votes will be for. What was the biggest one for you?

Other notables missing from poll:
- PS4 exclusives coming to PC (Journey, Horizon, etc.)
- Banjo in Smash
- etc.

Also, what are the most anticipated titles left that we're all still waiting to be announced?

- Chrono Trigger
- Silent Hill
- FEAR
- Dead Space
- Left4Dead
- Portal
- etc.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodstained was a big deal for me, and that was 11 years (Order of Ecclesia released in 2008). Game turned out great too! Other big deals include Shenmue 3, the Panzer Dragoon remake, New Sakura Wars, etc.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
It's difficult to decide between Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord getting a(n Early Access) release date, and Baldur's Gate 3 happening.

What a time to be alive.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
My Avatar is the answer for me.
But yeah, there have been many great announcements of anticipated sequels/remakes from franchises.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
It was Shenmue 3 for me until it was announced it was actually a Kickstarter and then looked janky as fuck šŸ˜•

So I'll say FF7 Remake was the biggest for me this gen.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For me personally, Halo on PC. Halo Infinite on PC is also in my top 3 most anticipated titles for the year.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I just finished playing FF7 for the first time last month and oh boy, now I understand just how much the suffering is finally about to end for longtime fans.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
A modern "open world" Zelda game. All the Zelda games are, to some degree, but Nintendo finally abandoning the hand-holding, restrictive game design, which had been getting worse with every iteration arguably back to the original, was a dream come true. I'm stretching a point here, because perhaps the announcement was not that big a deal, but only because we weren't sure they were serious. They were, and they delivered the best game experience of my life since the original Zelda. And that's saying something, in a life filled with decades of amazing games.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
You're missing Killer Instinct. The previous release before KI 2013 was KI Gold in 1996.

For me, the biggest one was probably Rare Replay. It was a compilation of old games though, so I get why it wouldn't count in this discussion.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
As a huge fans of Dragon Age Origins and only recenty played and fall in love with the original series, it's Baldur's Gate 3.

Oct 27, 2017
Of the poll options the only two that are mythical status were HL3 & FFVII.

and hype wise a remake of FFVII was off the charts ā€” so I can't see how voting for anything other than that as the "biggest" as making any sense

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm the one who screamed "YEAAAAHHHH" during the E3 reveal of Battletoads' revival coming to Xbox (2018, I think). Go back to the livestream archive and you'll hear it. No shame.

I'd like to point out just how tepid journalists' expectations were about Doom 2016 up until it landed. Bethesda was cagey about advance review code and general preview access. And when it landed, all of us started whispering to each other in a unanimous "holy SHIT" way. At least, that's the impression I got from my corner of this wacky industry, I'm happy to be corrected on that point if I'm off.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
For me it was the return of Bloodlines and Spyro.

But for the industry itself? Probably Final Fantasy VII Remake or Half-Life Alyx.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing Dead Space on that list makes me feel old. DS 1 and 2 are still recent on my mind for some reason.

I would also like to add Streets of Rage is a big one for me personally, right next to Battletoads!

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
For me personally, Streets of Rage 4.

I've been waiting decades for that game. It can't come soon enough!

grand

Oct 25, 2017
People are crazy. A new Half-Life was the crazy announcement in years.

Final Fantasy 7 when a question of when not if. Or perhaps a question of which decade will it finish

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk? Didn't they announce that 2013 or 2014? Then we got TW3 instead, which I'm not complaining about.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I only got into Crash recently but that's the biggest game for me out of those. I definitely had the most fun with it.

My most anticipated announcements atm would be Pac Man World 4, a DKCR/DKTF sequel, Jak 4, and a new Crash game.

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
Mount and Blade II is the big one for me. Other notables are DOOM, Stalker 2, Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines 2 and Baldur's Gate 3.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Good call on Streets of Rage, straight to the top of the list.
Blaster Master Zero and then Zero 2 (sequel) would perhaps be another?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Bloodstained was a big deal for me, and that was 11 years (Order of Ecclesia released in 2008). Game turned out great too! Other big deals include Shenmue 3, the Panzer Dragoon remake, New Sakura Wars, etc.
I agree with you that Bloodstained feels like the true Castlevania sequel to OOE, but technically there were Lords of Shadow, LOS2 and LOS: Mirror of Fate too. None of them really scratched my Castlevania itch in the same way though, even just for 2D 'vania MoF wasn't very good.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Doom 4 actually coming out and being great was sure something but a new Half-Life game after all this time has to take the cake

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
FF7 remake. And it's not even really close.

Nobody posted weeping reaction videos to a VR-exclusive Half-Life prequel.

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
I've been wanting to make this thread for awhile, and with today's release of Half-Life: Alyx & first screenshot of Stalker 2, I knew it was finally time. This gen is soon coming to a close, and with it we saw so many unbearably long waits for hugely anticipated titles finally come to an end. We've been seriously spoiled this gen. Some of us went from kids to grey hair over the course of these waits.

Battletoads - 26+ years (1994's Battletoads Arcade)
System Shock 3 - 21+ years (1999's SS2)
Shenmue 3 - 18 years (2001's Shenmue 2)
REmake 2 - 17 years (2002's REmake)
Vampire: The Masquerade - 16+ years (2004's VtM: Bloodlines)
Metroid Prime 4 - 13+ years (2007's MP3: Corruption)
Half-Life: Alyx - 13 years (2007's HL2: Ep2)
Halo on PC - 13 years (2007's Halo 2 Vista)
Doom 2016 - 12 years (2004's Doom 3)
Ace Combat 7 - 12 years (2007's AC6)
Stalker 2 - 11+ years (2009's Call of Pripyat)
The Last Guardian - 11 years (2005's SotC)
Star Wars Battlefront 2015 - 10 years (2005's SWBF2)
Spyro - 10 years (2008's Dawn of the Dragon)
Crash Bandicoot - 9 years (2008's Mind over Mutant)
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 8 years (2010's RDR)
Mega Man 11 - 8 years (2010's MM10)

I'm sure I'm missing some too. There's been so many that I couldn't fit them all on the poll, so I tried to pick the ones I'm guessing the most votes will be for. What was the biggest one for you?

Other notables missing from poll:
- PS4 exclusives coming to PC (Journey, Horizon, etc.)
- Banjo in Smash
- etc.

Also, what are the most anticipated titles left that we're all still waiting to be announced?

- Chrono Trigger
- Silent Hill
- FEAR
- Dead Space
- Left4Dead
- Portal
- etc.

Batman
Rocksteady's game
GTA VI
Splinter Cell 7
Fable 4

At this moment, I'm just waiting for Batman to be announced. I haven't looked forward to a game this much since Arkham Knight.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
My personal one has been Battle for Bikini Bottom Remake (17 years later). The previous Spongebob game released in 2015 (5 years ago), but the last good one was Lights Camera Pants back in 2005 (15 years ago).
Crash was a big one for me since the first one was one of my first video games. Love that he's getting a lot of love nowadays.

Patiently waiting for:
Superman (14 years so far)
Iron Man (12 years so far)
Indiana Jones (11 years so far)
Monkey Island (11 years so far)
Agent (11 years so far)
Sam & Max (10 years so far)
Prince of Persia (10 years so far)
Harry Potter (9 years since the last console game,)
007 (8 years so far)
Sleeping Dogs (8 years so far)
Rayman (7 years since a main title)
Sly 5 (7 years so far)
Splinter Cell (7 years so far)
inFamous (6 years so far)

OP I think you missed Beyond Good and Evil 2 (17+ years so far).

Last edited:

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Am I right in remembering that System Shock 3 had it's plug quietly pulled a couple months back?
Out of all those games, quality aside, Shenmue 3 feels like the one that has been sitting on a cliffhanger the longest.

Half Life Alyx feels like a big deal, but there was always this sneaking suspicion that Valve was going to do something HL VR related. Or at least I had convinced myself that after they got big into designing headsets. It was awesome to see happen, but didn't feel like as much of a big deal as Shenmue finally happening again.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Of what's been released so far, Alyx has been the best by a country mile and compared to REmake 2, that says A LOT.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
We don't have Cyberpunk? Well, FFVII Remake is immediately after but the game was changed into something I was not into. I'm still hyped for the game, just substantially less so.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I just want a miracle to happen and Square brings the dream team back to remake Chrono Trigger

Oh, and RE2R was huge for me, but FFVIIR is the best choice

Jan 2, 2018
The localization of Seiken Densetsu 3 to Trials of Mana and the announcement of the localization of Moon: Remix RPG Adventure were pretty big.

Oct 27, 2017
End of 2016 into the first few months of 2017 were incredible in general, but this insanity was no more apparent than Finval Fantasy XV and Last Guardian releasing within a span of a week and was sson followed by Nioh which had been a project first known during the end of the PS2 gen.

A tid disappointing no one's mentioned Valkyria Chronicles 4 and the series' return to home consoles.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For me it's final fantasy vii remake by a magnitude. I already accepted the game would be a turd but it would float on nostalgia, but everything seems to point it being a great game. That shit is gonna hit me in the feels.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Still gotta say FFVII. Only way Half-Life could have outdone it was if there was a 3 at the end.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017

Wait, someone spoiled Sakura Wars for you?
Oh man and you were so close :P

Edit:Oh lol never mind, I've completely misread the thread...