• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Excusing Racism; Previous Severe Ban for Excusing Racism
who cares she's still a cop who put mothers in prison because their kids missed school

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Oh boy, here we go again. Just wait until the cable news networks pick this up and spend the next few weeks discussing it thereby giving it legitimacy in the minds of the American public so much so that Harris has to address it in the next debate.

We are getting fucking played again by a handful of alt-right shitheads and hundreds of Russian bots and trolls.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't remember the "Hey! Hey!..... btw.... Obama's half white" in 2007?

Yeah that ADOS shit is a complete maga op, white dudes making twitter accounts and posting that bullshit. It was sad to see the few black people get wrapped up, mainly hoteps
Untrue. The ADOS thing was started by Yvette Carnell and the likes of Tariq Nasheed well before last years elections. True, it's gained traction since the election but a LOT of those #'s are real as well. It's unfortunate. That said I've been talking about it here, here and there and it's starting to get concerning.

Edit: I'm fully FOR reparations, btw. We are owed. Which is the original "point" of the #, but they've always been off the rails. And it's mired in homophobia and "racism" towards Africans and Caribbean's... so fuck them.

Last edited:

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
Are we talking about what she did, or what others did? She was very vocal about the fact that she didn't want the policy to result in anyone jailed.
She gave others the same power she had. Surely that should be taken into account when giving yourself that power or pushing for you to have that power. It's the same reason why you shouldn't give the president too much power because the next president could be Trump who wields that power in a shitty way.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
She gave others the same power she had. Surely that should be taken into account when giving yourself that power or pushing for you to have that power. It's the same reason why you shouldn't give the president too much power because the next president could be Trump who wields that power in a shitty way.
She gave others no powers they didn't have already. They missed the point when trying to copy/enforce that bit. In either case, we're a long long way from the original point of "she locked up mothers" that people like to spread.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine Kamala getting the nomination and then getting to question Trump live on tv. A former federal prosecutor going after Trump live on tv. Yikes.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
She gave others no powers they didn't have already. They missed the point when trying to copy/enforce that bit. In either case, we're a long long way from the original point of "she locked up mothers" that people like to spread.
She pushed for it statewide. If the law is able to punish parents (putting them in jail) for kids being truant, how can you be surprised someone uses that power for that reason? That's why she shouldn't have pushed for it. It was an obvious consequence of what she did.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
It's not that trump hasn't been getting serious questions, it's that he refuses to answer.
He doesn't get them on a debate stage. Hillary Clinton made him look like a clown and she wasn't a prosecutor. Remember that Kamala made Barr look like a fool and he's about 100 IQ points smarter than Trump.

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think he's the worst of them. He's so fucking slimy and dishonest and cowardly (not to mention stupid) that I think he's genuinely a bigger fucking cretin than his dad.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Every potential Russian threat to our elections should be put out on all news networks minus Fox News obviously. It's should be brought to light so people see it first hand

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
who cares she's still a cop who put mothers in prison because their kids missed school

While i don't rock with this statement, imho its more aligned with the real critique I see from corners of black twitter and irl. That whole half black thing is a non issue for most black voters, and when i first saw it I knew it was a bot. Which, if you think about it makes sense, white men have been vocally deciding who counts as black or not since the slave trade era...

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Why does America even have that 'have to be born in the country to run for President' crap anyway?
To me that sounds like some weird xenophobia.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Stop blaming the internet for racism.

I can blame companies for providing a platform for it.
They spend their resources on optimizing conversions and ad sales, are you telling me they can't solve this? Or at least have clear measures in place?

Why does America even have that 'have to be born in the country to run for President' crap anyway?
To me that sounds like some weird xenophobia.

Yes, it is stupid.

Oct 28, 2017
I can blame companies for providing a platform for it.
They spend their resources on optimizing conversions and ad sales, are you telling me they can't solve this? Or at least have clear measures in place?

Yes, it is stupid.
Saying the internet was a mistake and blaming tech companies for this is saying that this exists because of them. This does not exist because of them. And no, it's not some simple task to have a worldwide platform and somehow kill off the gross stuff people think and say on it. It's naive.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Eagerly awaiting Biden's similar sentiment

Feel like I'll be waiting a long time
"Look, you might disagree with their views on Kamala Harris and her race, but it's important to stay civil."

Saying the internet was a mistake and blaming tech companies for this is saying that this exists because of them. This does not exist because of them. And no, it's not some simple task to have a worldwide platform and somehow kill off the gross stuff people think and say on it. It's naive.
Racist shitheads existing are the root cause, but every megaphone that gives them more visibility by orders of magnitude are a problem too. Whether they're Fox News, Facebook, Google or Twitter.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yes, please focus on my 'the internet was a mistake' post and take it literally.

I did not say tech companies are responsible for racism, or the cause. But they are providing it a platform.
And no, it's not that hard. They can make a difference here, but they choose not to.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You just defended your supposed joke post. So what is your real point? Who do you actually blame here?

It was not a joke post.
I hold Twitter responsible if they don't even allow you to properly report someone. Have you ever tried? They basically tell you 'sorry we can't help you, but here's how you can ignore this person!'

Why are you defending them?

Oct 28, 2017
It was not a joke post.
I hold Twitter responsible if they don't even allow you to properly report someone. Have you ever tried? They basically tell you 'sorry we can't help you, but here's how you can ignore this person!'

Why are you defending them?
Saying Twitter has shitty reporting features sounds appropriate. Saying this is Twitter's fault is not.

I'm "defending" them because I'm tired of people letting racists off the hook. This stuff always existed. Before the year 2000, I was being called a nigger. During 9/11 I was being called a terrorist because I have north-east African features. I've grown up in a world that showed me time and time again that racists are everywhere. And when stuff like this happens, it reminds me even more. I obviously want these companies to work on what content is on their platform, but I can't stand seeing even an ounce of pressure being moved from racists to these tech companies on these issues. I'd rather see the people who say this stuff be named and shamed publicly.

OP
OP
Kirblar

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saying Twitter has shitty reporting features sounds appropriate. Saying this is Twitter's fault is not.

I'm "defending" them because I'm tired of people letting racists off the hook. This stuff always existed. Before the year 2000, I was being called a nigger. During 9/11 I was being called a terrorist because I have north-east African features. I've grown up in a world that showed me time and time again that racists are everywhere. And when stuff like this happens, it reminds me even more. I obviously want these companies to work on what content is on their platform, but I can't stand seeing even an ounce of pressure being moved from racists to these tech companies on these issues. I'd rather see the people who say this stuff be named and shamed publicly.
Twitter allowing these botnets to go unchecked the way they do is very much their fault.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

If you thought I said that tech companies invented racism, I think by this point you must understand that this isn't the case. So why go on about it? It's a strange thing to extrapolate from me saying 'Good job Twitter, Facebook, Twitch, Youtube, ...'

You should hold these companies accountable for it. They provide the platform and set the rules. Let the neo nazi's start their own social networks.
You won't hurt their feelings, it's OK.

(Where on earth am I letting racists off the hook?)

Oct 28, 2017
That's like saying drug dealers aren't responsible for drug related deaths.. sure, it can be argued. But is it in good faith?

If you thought I said that tech companies invented racism, I think by this point you must understand that this isn't the case. So why go on about it? It's a strange thing to extrapolate from me saying 'Good job Twitter, Facebook, Twitch, Youtube, ...'

You should hold these companies accountable for it. They provide the platform and set the rules. Let the neo nazi's start their own social networks.
You won't hurt their feelings, it's OK.

That's a really bad example.

We both obviously know tech companies didn't invent racism. But frankly, a lot of the people who are seeing this stuff come out have not really seen the impact of racism with their own eyes. They're getting their first glimpse of it. And I think many people are reading it as "oh no these very few people with shitty views are getting the loudest microphone thanks to these tech companies!"

When in reality, if you've grown up with these issues, it feels like nothing new and can be frustrating to see people not take it for what it is. I want people to see stuff like this and question if their friends, families, and coworkers are also racist. Instead, people just wanna yell about not seeing this stuff on platforms and they're more or less happy with that outcome even if it just brings us back to the days before the internet where people were just more quiet with their racism.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's a really bad example.

We both obviously know tech companies didn't invent racism. But frankly, a lot of the people who are seeing this stuff come out have not really seen the impact of racism with their own eyes. They're getting their first glimpse of it. And I think many people are reading it as "oh no these very few people with shitty views are getting the loudest microphone thanks to these tech companies!"

When in reality, if you've grown up with these issues, it feels like nothing new and can be frustrating to see people not take it for what it is. I want people to see stuff like this and question if their friends, families, and coworkers are also racist. Instead, people just wanna yell about not seeing this stuff on platforms and they're more or less happy with that outcome even if it just brings us back to the days before the internet where people were just more quiet with their racism.

You are completely misunderstanding me or my intentions. Nor did I make a statement about these being 'very few' people.

I am simply holding tech companies responsible for providing racists a platform. I do not expect them to get rid of racism on their platforms, but right now they are not doing enough. I've said it multiple times now, so I'll leave it at that.

Oct 28, 2017
You are completely misunderstanding me or my intentions. Nor did I make a statement about these being 'very few' people.

I am simply holding tech companies responsible for providing racists a platform. I do not expect them to get rid of racism on their platforms, but right now they are not doing enough. I've said it multiple times now, so I'll leave it at that.
I'm giving you my perspective on this issue and why I do not like the general attitude of emphasizing this issue around tech companies. We only have so much attention that will be afforded to this issue and I don't like it going in that way. You aren't the source of this. I'm not saying you do exactly all these things. But it does strengthen the position of people that do this.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
giphy.gif

Heh.

Them saying she isn't really black is one of the weirdest attacks I've seen from racists.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I admit ignorance here, but is she considered a front runner alongside Biden?

Seems weird to target her like this if she's not polling high.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I admit ignorance here, but is she considered a front runner alongside Biden?

Seems weird to target her like this if she's not polling high.

She made a huge jump after the debate, so now she's a target

But yes, she is one of the top four or five in the race

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems even places are calling her a liar for personal accounts on bussing.

I guess it's easy when you don't even do the bare minimum like talking to the school district.

I actually read one of the "she's a liar on being part of the second class" articles and it literally said "While it is true that she was part of the second class of African Americans integrating into Berkley..." then goes on to say BUT there were 15 African American students at Berkley that weren't part of the first class over the decade before the first class and they use this point to classify it as "misleading".

Like, fucker, that's not the point.