• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
That sense of exploration and mystery is still there and as great as ever.
This is something that felt lacking in Digimon World: Next Order, but maybe it's because I'm older now. I'd like to play through Digimon World again with the more forgiving evolution system of Next Order.

Great thread Birdie. I never realized that the game came out before the anime, but it makes a lot of sense now!

Deleted member 51306

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
The original game was one of my favorite childhood games. I played it a ton. I also really enjoyed the recent follow up.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I loved Digimon World 1, but had trouble getting into Next Order. I think the game not being top down made it harder for me to memorize and navigate.

One thing that always confused me about Digimon though was I didn't know what was supposed to be the main product as a kid. Like with Pokemon everything was in service of and funneled you to the games. My mission was to catch them all and become a Pokemon master. I never felt that cohesion with Digimon.
In Japan the virtual pets and card game always seemed like the staple for much of the franchise, but everywhere else in the West it was definitely the anime that was the heavy lifter since neither of those former stuff took off outside of Japan.

I imagine it was probably due to Japan being a smaller, more compact country a local game like the V-Pets flourished more easily alongside having a healthy scene for the card game.

Speaking of the card game the Japanese version is different than the watered down English version but I've never found a solid description of how the original version works...I know the PS1 card Battle game isn't 1:1 to the real Japanese card game, though there was a Wonderswan card game which I believe came closest.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of the card game the Japanese version is different than the watered down English version but I've never found a solid description of how the original version works...I know the PS1 card Battle game isn't 1:1 to the real Japanese card game, though there was a Wonderswan card game which I believe came closest.
Oh, I didn't knew that existed.

The battle music, aw.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Is this the game with the weird raising mechanic and pooping? I remember my Digimon kept dying because I couldn't figure out how to take care of it or find it a toilet.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh I guess there's more than one WS Card Game because I remember playing a Tamers one.