• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was reading an old article about Digimon World being released in the U.S. in 2000 and I realized that the game didn't get a great rep back in the day. Sure, it's obtuse, but I think it suffered from the fact it was released so long after the original Pokemon titles and, in the west, after the anime that folks probably wrote it off as either a clone of the former or a cheap anime tie-in.

Of course, Digimon World is actually a MAJOR cornerstone of the franchise. When it was released originally in Japan, the franchise was pretty tiny...you had the first series of Virtual Pets (which make up the raisable roster of Digimon World), the Sega Saturn game which was basically a port of the Virtual Pets more or less with slight more interaction, and the second series or Virtual Pets, the Pendulum Series, had just released alongside the V-Tamer manga.

Digimon World began development I believe in 97, and looking back it's actually a pretty solid game that belies the expectation it was a quick cash grab on the show or Pokemon---I remember as a kid being weirded out because of how it came before the anime in Japan, and thus you had the branched evolutions that Digimon is known for outside of the linear evolutions known in the anime. At the same time, World actually introduces some of the canon lines we'd see in the show...Patamon and Angemon as well as Biyomon and Birdramon weren't in the same Virtual Pets initially, with World being the first time the Child forms were linked with those Adult forms.

But it was our first glimpse alongside V-Tamer of what I consider the best idea of the Digital World...a bizarre mixmash of nature and technology, with World's pre-rendered backgrounds still looking pretty good. It also brought the idea of the duality of Digimon as both animal like creatures who could also act like humans as well, which would feel weird in any other series but kind of works with Digimon's loose world building and, well, being "data" I feel they can get away with breaks in their world building easier than other franchises.

As for Digimon, at the time of release only two of the Pendulum V-Pets were released, with a couple of Digimon from those later versions appearing...Hercules Kabuterimon and Mega Seadramon appeared as playable, as did Phoenixmon which popped up in a V-Pet released shortly after. You also had Otamon and that line appearing...

But there were a lot of Digimon that debuted in Digimon World as far as I can tell. This includes some major Digimon that would go on to become extremely important such as Machinedramon and Myotismon, as well as lesser known but unique Digimon like Guardromon and Cherrymon. Of note was Penguinmon, a unique raisable Child created just for the game perhaps to be a more natural evolution to the ice Digimon Frigimon and Monjyamon from the original V-Pet, and the enigmatic Ninjamon, a raisable Champion debuting in the title.

Of course I can't end this without mentioning the palette swap Digimon they introduced...and years later, some of them became fixtures in the anime such as the Gabumon look-alike Psychemon which is, well, in my opinion amazing.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
People tend to sleep on Digimon as a series entirely, which is a damn shame. Digimon World was fantastic, one of my favorite PS1 games and a cornerstone of my childhood. I never consciously realized that it predated the anime and was as important to the series as it was, though.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well in Europe they advertised it straight up using anime art...which mislead folks since Tentomon is only an NPC (since he wasn't in the original V-Pets with Kabuterimon debuting first) and Gomamon is completely absent, though he had appeared in the Pendulum devices available at the time of the Japanese release.

SamualDude

Oct 28, 2017
I loved the first Digimon World so much. I spent so much time on it when I was young and even now I'll still re-visit. Digimon Digital Card Battle was a solid children's card game that was different to the actual card game.

Digimon World: Next Order was so incredible as a sequel and I want a follow up to that as well.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Excuse the expression but it was the Dark Souls of Pokemon games which didn't help with its popularity.

Your monster dies either through neglect, old age or in battle? Game over, back to the start training up a baby Digimon.

Your monster doesn't evolve into your desired monster? Basically game over.

It was very obtuse, I never finished it as a kid but emulated it on PSP about 10 years ago with wiki pages open and it was a blast. The soundtrack is one of my all-time favourites.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
163689-digimon-world-playstation-screenshot-here-s-the-meat-farm.png

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Digimon World is one of my favorite games of all time! I absolutely adore it.

It all started when I asked my dad can he rent me "Crash Bandicoot 2" while he was heading to Xtravision. He came back with "Digimon World". I was a little disappointed at the start but my god did it engross me. I knew I had to own it.
Two months later for my birthday I got my own copy of Digimon World and the official prima guide. I was stoked! I put hours upon hours into this game trying to figure out all the little quirks. Monzaemon probably ended up being my most used Digimon. Back then I completed it multiple times but completed in the sense of "beating all the bosses".

A couple of years ago I set down with my copy in my PS3 and told myself I would get full prosperity in it (recruiting all NPCs). I had a blast still and it was the first ever time I got Greymon in the game (couldn't manage to do it when I was a kid). The game is jank and FULL of quirks and bugs but I will never not love it and it will always remain one of my top PS1 games ever.

I just have such fond nostalgic memories of the game. So many hours spent in the gym hearing the "ding" sound from the stat increases. The bird chirping noises in the forest has always stuck with me too.

I could absolutely go on and on about this game honestly. It had such a strong impact on me as a child, a teenager and an adult.

(Next Order is also great)

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I really loved this game even though experiencing it for the first time a couple years ago. I liked not knowing what I was going to get. Though speedup on emulator made the experience alot better.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
They really shouldn't have made every subsequent game entirely different. Digimon World 1 was a fantastic, unique formula that shoild have been iterated upon.

I actually really like DW2 as well, but it should have been a different series

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I loved Digimon World as a kid. It was quite a difficult game, always being against the clock, but it was also really cool making it a bit further into exploring the world, getting more Digimon to come to File City, little by little. Also the mini games were pretty legit (curling was so addicting).

First time getting an Ultimate level Digimon felt very rewarding, mine being MetalMamemon.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh so did you know the game had Events like Pokemon?

Metal Etemon at the very least was discovered to have been legitimately available via a V-Jump promotion.

There's Panjyamon and Gigadramon in the data as well but I believe World sold pretty poorly so they were never given away.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
They had Gomamon on the cover and Gomamon's not in the game and that upset me as a kid lol. Still though, really enjoyed the game despite all of it's.... stuff. It wasn't until i was much older and abusing save slots on the PS3 that i finally got an Ultimate. I much prefer the Digimon World style games to the other types of Digimon Games.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
They really shouldn't have made every subsequent game entirely different. Digimon World 1 was a fantastic, unique formula that shoild have been iterated upon.

I actually really like DW2 as well, but it should have been a different series
DW2 was essentially a dungeon crawler Story game. Biggest problems going for it was the long af attack animations making battles take forever and that leveling up and dedigivolving also takes forever so advancing a 'mon is tedious.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
My favorite PS1 game. I remember the many rumours and mysteries about the game on the early internet. Even the official guides were based on different game builds and information. Then you had only recently solved cases about Digimon like Metal Etemon. That and the amount of misinformation spread never really gave you a clear answer on how to approach certain digivolutions and what is actually possible in the game. It was a magical time.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I've heard Digimon World 1 and 2 were in development at the same time which surprised me...though I've seen conflicting reports. Some sources seem to just say they were just announced together in terms of being localized (when World had been out in Japan already) other sources say they were both developed together.

World 1 apparently only did like...250,000? in Japan so I feel like it makes sense they changed World 2 up. On the other hand it doesn't seem like Mystery Dungeon-style games were that popular then...

Oct 27, 2017
I really never liked the death mechanics in Digimon World. I understand it's a game based on a Tamagotchi-style product, but still...

Now, Digimon Story. Now that's another... story altogether! I love those games.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's actually a somewhat little known mechanic in Digimon World known as Tamer Level, where up to 10 percent of stats can carry over upon death...

Raising it is pretty hard as it requires obtaining high level Digimon, and it can drop too.

Next Order made it far easier to up which meant death wasn't a big deal... unfortunately IMO this made it a bit too easy to reach a point where your Digimon is just really good and pretty much set for the rest of the game.

There's a great sense of time management in the original Digimon World where you wanna plan out what Digimon you want to try and recruit, the paths that enemy Digimon walk to avoid them since battles are pretty much pointless and a waste of time, and sort of each new Digimon Egg is a new set of goals to accomplish.

Next Order didn't capture that magic, but I get it because World was pretty inaccessible in a lot of ways.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
I adore the original Digimon World and it kills me that none of the other PS1 games did the same style. I know we've had stylistic sequels since but there was something about the awful PS1 graphics and prerendered backgrounds just makes it way more charming than the overly anime styled version of characters and worlds that the modern games have. :(

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I like Digimon Story but World is where I'm the biggest fan.
Next Order didn't do that well so now they'll most likely only bet on Story games and that makes me very sad, even more as they're translated only in English and Deutsch, for text heavy games it's a big no for me.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's one unused Digimon in the code we know nothing about...besides Weregarurumon apparently going to make his debut, there's a Kamanarimon that evolves using an Electro Ring item. There's never been a Digimon named that...

I personally think it's Thunderballmon, who debuted in a later Pendulum version, under an early name.

Deleted member 2954

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: Next Order is a sequel to the original digimon world game. Main character from Digimon World 1 is an adult and villain in NO.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fun fact: Next Order is a sequel to the original digimon world game. Main character from Digimon World 1 is an adult and villain in NO.
I wonder how many people got to the end of World where you actually learn that plot...I never did.

Card Battle is actually a sequel as well but integrated the anime canon.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Digimon World 3 is one of my favorite games from my childhood. Really underrated.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Digimon World 1 is so unique in so many ways. Unfortunately, re-digitize and last order focused on the tamagotchi stuff but ignored the non linearity for a generic anime plot. No game had the same sense of "circular exploration" that DW1 had, and it's the kind of itch that no other game could scratch.

Also love how unique Digimon World 2 is as well, and i also would love another digi-beetle based procedural generated dungeon crawler like it.

It's like both created their own sub-genres and no other games are really similar to them. DW3 was kinda not that unique in comparison, however.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Love-me some Digimon threads.
I played it to death, but never got to the end, I wasn't really kid-friendly and some recruits were straight bullshit. We back for it as an adult and loved it, I really should get a PS4 and play Next Order.

I remember asking my mom if I could see a 'meat farm' and why she didn't just grown it on our backyard and she was like 'what?'

Deleted member 2954

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can Bandai remake the Wonderswam Digimon games and bring them over here please? Always wanted to play them :(

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Next Orders plot was...I remember not really getting it at all and maybe that was the poor localization but it bored me.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the WS games are basically like the DS Story games so if you played them you get the idea...

The other games are the Medley games which are slightly interactive RPG games like that PSP Digimon Adventure game, and there's one or two that are like V-Pet style games.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
The game was incredibly broken on my region, to the point it was 100% impossible to beat.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think DW1 is a legit masterpiece and one of the most fascinating games of its era; it's certainly my favorite PS1 game and that's saying something. Obviously I only got into it because I saw it on a shelf shortly after I was first introduced to the anime, but it far surpasses a simple attachment to the IP and it's so frustrating that it doesn't get talked about much, probably because many assume it's just a probably shitty licensed game (and why wouldn't they?). I've talked extensively about it here on Era already so it warms my heart to see new threads about it like this one.

The game cemented my love for monster raising games, so it's really, really special to me.

By the way, as someone who had this be his white whale since 2000 until like 7 years ago, it really isn't THAT hard once you know what you're doing. After the DW Redigitize fan translation came out and I played through that, I went back to DW1 and beat it in like two sittings with 100% prosperity... No, really!
I wonder how many people got to the end of World where you actually learn that plot...I never did.

Card Battle is actually a sequel as well but integrated the anime canon.
You probably already know this, but another cool nod in NO is that in DW1 once you beat the story there's an event of sorts where you're informed that a Machinedramon spawned at a specific location of the world so you can have a rematch with it, and this keeps happening once an in-game year in different locations forever, making the game go on for as long as you want. They took this concept and made it a plot point in NO.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
As a kid my digimon always turned to poop! it kept shitting everywhere!!! and then it died!

I think there was something I didn't get with this game

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest problem of the game was that it is very confusing at times. Getting a certain evolution is basically impossible without the official guide and even if you know the evolution requirements you still end up with poopmon aka Sukamon/Numemon. It was frustrating to put so much effort into your Digimon's training just to get a fucking Numemon because you didn't meet certain requirements before due date.
Not to mention that recruiting some Digimon into the city was also really hard.
Oh and certain European PAL versions were impossible to complete 100% due to game breaking bugs and glitches.
All in all I still have a lot of nostalgia for the game and there will always be something mysterious about it that I love. I just wish that Digimon World 2 was more like the first game but a little bit more simplified and streamlined.

Quo Vadis

Oct 27, 2017
I still remember that one time my brother and I were bored and started farming Filth techs on Sukamon. He kept on learning them one after the other and every time it learns a new one, we'd go and try it out. That was a hilarious afternoon I'll never forget.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Heck, I should try this game out again. I rented it once as a kid and found it obtuse as hell and didn't make much progress
The only Digimon game I really got into was Rumble Arena

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In the original V-Pets if you didn't meet a requirement for an Adult you'd end up with Numemon, Veggiemon, Sukamon, or Nanimon depending on the version. The "shit" Digimon.

In World they gave three of them unique ways...Numemon is the standard "you didn't meet any requirements", Sukamon is pooping too much, and Nanimon is disciplining too much.

Veggiemon actually got a glow up somewhat as he's a regular evolution, and he never really went back to being a gimmicky Digimon like the others, just a regular Adult nowadays.

The V-Pets also had a bit of Magikarp -- Gyarados deal where the shit Digimon could become decent if you met Perfect requirements despite having weaker Digimon. Numemon to Monzaemon, Sukamon to Etemon, and Nanimon to Digitamamon, which are all in Digimon World as is.

Veggiemon in the original V-Pet became Vademon, though now he can evolve from multiple Adults through a special method...forgot off the top of my head.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017

He's not a villain. You mistake him for one early on because he keeps feeding mons his program when in actuality he's trying to fend off the Machinedramon virus. Later he joins your restoration committee.

There's actually a somewhat little known mechanic in Digimon World known as Tamer Level, where up to 10 percent of stats can carry over upon death...

Raising it is pretty hard as it requires obtaining high level Digimon, and it can drop too.

Next Order made it far easier to up which meant death wasn't a big deal... unfortunately IMO this made it a bit too easy to reach a point where your Digimon is just really good and pretty much set for the rest of the game.

There's a great sense of time management in the original Digimon World where you wanna plan out what Digimon you want to try and recruit, the paths that enemy Digimon walk to avoid them since battles are pretty much pointless and a waste of time, and sort of each new Digimon Egg is a new set of goals to accomplish.

Next Order didn't capture that magic, but I get it because World was pretty inaccessible in a lot of ways.

As someone who actually filled out all 231 Digimon in the Field Guide in Next Order and who completely finished both games, the biggest problem I had with Next Order was the lack of reverence it pays to its creatures. Iconic and/or powerful Digimon like Omnimon, Susanoomon, Imperialdramon, etc. are just hanging out around the world for no real reason and presented with no real flair. Ikkakumon and Seraphimon are connected because the former likes the latter's cooking. Rosemon and Myotismon have tension that doesn't get explored in favor of fetching an umbrella for Myotismon. Like what the hell are those scenarios?

Compare that to Ogremon or Leomon's arc in the original or even how someone with little screen time like Seadramon (as the lake guardian with the curiously huge silhouette) or Centarumon (as a sniper hunting down intruders) had some mystique or personality to them. The closest thing Next Order had to recapturing that was the ridiculous Poop Arc. That being said, I really dug how the city kept getting larger and felt more lived-in as you progressed.

Digimon is at its best when it melds the natural and the technological together and creates a landscape that feels organic, but yet has a strange or displaced feel to it. Server Desert, Ohguino Wastelands, and Absolute Zero really do this well.

Last edited:

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
digimon world taught me a great lesson about life which is that you can try very hard and do your very best, but just when you're happiest everything can suddenly turn into a sentient pile of shit

Oct 25, 2017
Loved Digimon World 1 on PS1, hands down one of my favorite titles for the system.

I should really check out Next Order, seems like it would be worth my time.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Digimon World 1, but had trouble getting into Next Order. I think the game not being top down made it harder for me to memorize and navigate.

One thing that always confused me about Digimon though was I didn't know what was supposed to be the main product as a kid. Like with Pokemon everything was in service of and funneled you to the games. My mission was to catch them all and become a Pokemon master. I never felt that cohesion with Digimon.