• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Not the numbers exactly. But 2.5 times more than Last Light seems pretty good.
last light at release peaked at 16k, thats not even 200k copies sold. exodus peaked at 12k on steam alone based on pre orders, while being exclusive to egs. yes, 2.5x more than launch numbers for last light is not much at all honestly, for a THIRD entry in a game. Steam numbers in 6 months will be a lot more telling.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
steam storefront is a bit cluttered but
do ppl actually go to digital storefronts without knowing what they already want? Like I guess I do hear about crazy backlogs all the time so that answers my own question but it's just kind of a foreign concept to me that I'll find a game by browsing a digital store rather than hearing about it elsewhere and reading up on it a bit.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"Steam is cluttered and just bombards you with 1000 different shit" is one of the strangest arguments that I can imagine.

The storefront is right now having a sale and therefore shows you a sale banner and a slider, which are 2 different items. Without having a sale you see the slider + usually around 4 special offers. I really wonder how people browse the internet if they feel overloaded by seeing 5 different banners and acting like those are "thousand different shit"

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
CEO likes money. Breaking news. I doubt they'll be so happy when EGS is spammed with as many shitty games as Steam is atm. All this is about is using EGS to force Steam to lower their 30% cut in the long term.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
"Steam is cluttered and just bombards you with 1000 different shit" is one of the strangest arguments that I can imagine.

The storefront is right now having a sale and therefore shows you a sale banner and a slider, which are 2 different items. Without having a sale you see the slider + usually around 4 special offers. I really wonder how people browse the internet if they feel overloaded by seeing 5 different banners and acting like those are "thousand different shit"

They use adblockers

Edit: I opened up Steam just now and saw 16 separate sections/banners before it went down to personal recommendations, it can definitely be overwhelming to people, but that's why they keep iterating on it/making improvements

closer

Oct 25, 2017
i guess personally it's such an non-issue how the store looks unless it is actively being detrimental. having too much stuff is a weird aesthetic design, but completely irrelevant to me if a search bar exists. and considering steam is like completely inundated with titles and is basically repository for any loose idea that comes out, I really feel like it could be much worse. I think the idea that EGS seems more functional visually is partially due to it's lack of titles, which is fair but also won't last if they keep going. I dunno why I'm even thinking about this stuff, it really has nothing to do with anything afai concerned.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They use adblockers

Edit: I opened up Steam just now and saw 16 separate sections/banners before it went down to personal recommendations, it can definitely be overwhelming to people, but that's why they keep iterating on it/making improvements
Do you count the Slider as one single section or as 10 or so different banners?
Because I'm personally only counting the information that I can see at glance and I end up with 5 different items or so on the main page.
6adcm8A.jpg

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Do you count the Slider as one single section or as 10 or so different banners?

Counting Slider as one
Counting every section up to 'Updates and Offers' section

Either way it's just semantics, I'd always like more recommendations and such, but being overwhelmed by content choice is a thing design wise

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Either way it's just semantics, I'd always like more recommendations and such, but being overwhelmed by content choice is a thing design wise

I will say tho that the thing I dislike most about the steam store is this large "telemetric" feeling I get when it recommends me games, like they are constantly watching and downloading information from me. I'm pretty sure you can turn off most of this, and I don't really use the store to browse in general, but it reminds me of all the things i had to turn off when i first got windows 10, and how it was all automatically turned on. Like, no I don't want dirt rally 2.0 because I've played games tagged "multiplayer, difficult". Maybe EGS does this too and I haven't noticed them trying to advertise stuff to me, I've only picked up free games so far from them.

But yeh anyway, I get that this is a plus for a lot of users and it's no real skin off my back to just not look at the store.

I guess to me the actual store for pc games is isthereanydeal.com or slickdeals.net

aside: I'd be very down for a steam or EGS section in their store that's just like "WOW I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S THIS MUCH OFF, WITH THIS MANY PPL PLAYING, THESE ARE THE BEST DEALS".

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Counting Slider as one
Counting every section up to 'Updates and Offers' section

I feel overwhelmed with EGS current shop layout. It feels cluttered even if they only have 100 games, and I think part of it is how you only really see up to 6 games in a 1080p screen. Just add filtering mechanism. You already have tags, so just put links to it in the side that do the search automatically if they feel like being lazy.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I will say tho that the thing I dislike most about the steam store is this large "telemetric" feeling I get when it recommends me games, like they are constantly watching and downloading information from me. I'm pretty sure you can turn off most of this, and I don't really use the store to browse in general, but it reminds me of all the things i had to turn off when i first got windows 10, and how it was all automatically turned on. Like, no I don't want dirt rally 2.0 because I've played games tagged "multiplayer, difficult". Maybe EGS does this too and I haven't noticed them trying to advertise stuff to me, I've only picked up free games so far from them.

But yeh anyway, I get that this is a plus for a lot of users and it's no real skin off my back to just not look at the store.

Kinda getting off topic but the thing that bugs me with the Steam store the most (and it's just an annoyance) is that I open the store to search, click the box and start typing. The store often does a refresh and I have to re-select the box and type again.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Steam recommends games. Less recommendations = less exposure to developers. I imagine most developers would strongly disagree with less games appearing on Steam's front page for the sake of reducing clutter.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
xbox with kinect started off $100 more than PS4. After kinect was removed, xbox has been at least $50 - $100 cheaper this entire gen.
Why do you keep moving goalposts? You did not answer if the original SKU had decreased in price (which for those that don't know, didn't).
Also you are till being disingenuous with your answer. Why are you argumenting in bad faith?

article from may 2014. it shows removing kinect brought down xbox one price to 399$ the same (MRSP) price of the PS4. Where is the 50€-100€ cheaper if the MRSP is the same?

Instead of you keeping the argumenting in bad faith. My point is not that sony and microsfot are not competitors in the economic defenition of the word! you keep missing so that I'll bold it. Microsoft and sony competition keep decreasing standards of gaming. From online passes to removing games from account, going through bad mechanism for refunds. Their competition can't offer the same features steam has DESPITE their competition. My point if you read the comment you answered is that current EGS competition is not improving conditions for costumers, as such, it should not be said that EGS is:
  • good competition
  • good for the costumer
  • just another client

how about showing a list of things that sony, nintendo and/or Microsoft do that are better for the costumer then steam?

I'll be blunt if you don't answer the 4 questions above i'll be just adding you to the ignore list as you clearly have 0 interest in discussing EGS.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda getting off topic but the thing that bugs me with the Steam store the most (and it's just an annoyance) is that I open the store to search, click the box and start typing. The store often does a refresh and I have to re-select the box and type again.
Yeah, I hate that too.

misterBee

Aug 16, 2018
My point if you read the comment you answered is that current EGS competition is not improving conditions for costumers, as such, it should not be said that EGS is:
  • good competition
  • good for the costumer
  • just another client

I would like to jump in and say that I have ~30 titles in my Epic Store library that were given out for free. Just this past week I got free copies of Celeste and Inside, both of which are quality games. They were given out as a way to entice people away from Steam. Origin used to do this as well.

So in that way I could argue that yes, as a consumer, Epic's attempt to compete with Steam has netted me 30 free games. That's definitely a positive, and it is definitely due to competition in the space.

Now obviously EGS lacks a lot of Steam's features, but free games are free games, and I wouldn't have gotten them if EGS didn't exist.

So to say EGS doesn't drive competition or provide some benefit to consumers isn't completely true. I'm not going to comment on pricing models and things on the dev side. But as a consumer I have most definitely benefited from the existence of EGS.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

I guess to me the actual store for pc games is isthereanydeal.com or slickdeals.net

aside: I'd be very down for a steam or EGS section in their store that's just like "WOW I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S THIS MUCH OFF, WITH THIS MANY PPL PLAYING, THESE ARE THE BEST DEALS".

Valve collects a lot of data for ads and recommendations, but that's pretty standard for basically any online storefront nowadays. Gabe talked about/was testing some weird shit about the dopamine reaction you get when you get something nice in a game I think, but this was like last year, and if they want to use any of that stuff, it's years out.

I feel overwhelmed with EGS current shop layout. It feels cluttered even if they only have 100 games, and I think part of it is how you only really see up to 6 games in a 1080p screen. Just add filtering mechanism. You already have tags, so just put links to it in the side that do the search automatically if they feel like being lazy.

EGS deadass has a big ol' content bomb problem already, imagine what happens when they got like 500-750 games out there

You see my avatar? Imagine more eyes

VatticWave

Mar 2, 2018
Sir/Ma'am. Comment on the beginning of the thread literally showing the data that the sales aren't happening like a steam title.
With due respect if you "don't know" why are you comenting without at least trying to inform yourself first?
I re-posted the comment below so you don't have to read the whole thread...

Thank you for your kind words, but I don't understand. That post you quote it's not on the first page. Besides, these graphs are about prices, not quantities, so I don't know where are your basing your reasoning on.

So why do you think they say they are glad with having an exclusive at the EGS, and they would have more exclusives with them in the future? If it's not good performance on the store, what is it then?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Valve collects a lot of data for ads and recommendations, but that's pretty standard for basically any online storefront nowadays. Gabe talked about/was testing some weird shit about the dopamine reaction you get when you get something nice in a game I think, but this was like last year, and if they want to use any of that stuff, it's years out.

EGS deadass has a big ol' content bomb problem already, imagine what happens when they got like 500-750 games out there

You see my avatar? Imagine more eyes

You can see all information that steam has on you here thanks to GDPR. I also kinda like the suggestions, and I believe they should go more in on that (by expanding the curator roles and allowing more indepth of that), as it allows me to see some nice niche game recommendations that I wouldnt otherwise see.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The takeaway from all of this is "we want to make more money", which makes sense for them being companies.

Ubi stopped supporting Steam because they can, and will in the process make more money by selling their games on Uplay and EGS.

If Valve change their revenue model, there wouldn't be much incentive for these developers to skip them.

I just love my Steam Controller too much to be completely comfortable with having so many different launchers. I'm currently holding off on buying several games I want to play, because I'd rather wait for them to end up on Steam.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The takeaway from all of this is "we want to make more money", which makes sense for them being companies.

Ubi stopped supporting Steam because they can, and will in the process make more money by selling their games on Uplay and EGS.

If Valve change their revenue model, there wouldn't be much incentive for these developers to skip them.

I just love my Steam Controller too much to be completely comfortable with having so many different launchers. I'm currently holding off on buying several games I want to play, because I'd rather wait for them to end up on Steam.
I also love the Steam Controller and use it for games outside steam (launched with steam, or with GLoSC in use), with all functions.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Ofc it works for non-Steam games, but it's far from as reliable as games made for Steam that have steaminput.
The only difference for me is that some game devs make specific configs and context betton features that only the steam version has, even if I find a way to get the features to show up in the non steam version it will not work (tried this with For Honor and it's steam only block mode context action set which activates when you're in block mode). For Honor was the first time I wished I got a Steam version of a game. Saints Row 4's dev made profile is just broken for me and I'm better off using a standard template as the base for a custom config for that game.

With how often a steam update can screw things up it's wanting to stick with Steam native games for the controller understandable. Though updates also effect my steam native games as well. Sometimes Steam Input can feel like it is still in beta (phantom activator buttons bug for example).

Last edited:

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Why do you keep moving goalposts? You did not answer if the original SKU had decreased in price (which for those that don't know, didn't).
Also you are till being disingenuous with your answer. Why are you argumenting in bad faith?

article from may 2014. it shows removing kinect brought down xbox one price to 399$ the same (MRSP) price of the PS4. Where is the 50€-100€ cheaper if the MRSP is the same

Before you start making accusations, you really should stop and think if you really know what you are talking about. MS sold a titanfall bundle for 450 before kinectless xbox came out in summer 2014. Even before that bundle you could find it below msrp.

how about showing a list of things that sony, nintendo and/or Microsoft do that are better for the costumer then steam?

They offer a completely self contained, unified platform that is easy to use with a tv that is affordable with high quality software you cant get anywhere else. Perhaps you see no value in that, but plenty of people do.

I'll be blunt if you don't answer the 4 questions above i'll be just adding you to the ignore list as you clearly have 0 interest in discussing EGS.

Feel free to do so. You have this odd sense of what competition is. Just because firm A is offering a product with a feature set you like and firm B offers a similar product with a lesser feature set it does not mean they are not competing.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry but this criticism is completely meaningless. No shit Sherlock, every business wants to be the most successful in its market. Are you new to capitalism?

How do you get that out of my post? I'll beat you at capitalism any day.

PS. There are monopoly laws (in some countries) - and personally I wouldn't be proud of my business if it grew just by bribing the products away from my competition, whilst offering a lesser service. Not to mention that it is likely not sustainable.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
They use adblockers

Yea I see 13 separate sections, all scrolling sections or multi-tab options. Though I will say that I'm not having trouble looking through them since these sections are pretty clearly presented and there is enough negative space between them to keep your attention before scrolling further.

If I was looking to buy a new game but didn't know what, this would be fine with me. Upon close inspection I see stuff my friends are playing in one grouping. Curated suggestions in another grouping. Games from devs and publishers that I own games from in another. Popular VR games in another. Trending and top selling tabs further down. Featured and recommended stuff without having to scroll at all. Digital Devolver's games that are on sale in a special page that looks really nice. Even this:

lt5vlq0.png

Glorious.

Idunno...seems pretty damn good to me. Let some people tell it, and you'd think they're looking at a list of 4,000 games presented in Excel formatting without a search box to have to scan through to find a game. That's just...not how it works.

edit: goddamnit. Looking at this page made me buy Katana Zero, Gris, and Pedro.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I would like to jump in and say that I have ~30 titles in my Epic Store library that were given out for free. Just this past week I got free copies of Celeste and Inside, both of which are quality games. They were given out as a way to entice people away from Steam. Origin used to do this as well.

So in that way I could argue that yes, as a consumer, Epic's attempt to compete with Steam has netted me 30 free games. That's definitely a positive, and it is definitely due to competition in the space.

Now obviously EGS lacks a lot of Steam's features, but free games are free games, and I wouldn't have gotten them if EGS didn't exist.

So to say EGS doesn't drive competition or provide some benefit to consumers isn't completely true. I'm not going to comment on pricing models and things on the dev side. But as a consumer I have most definitely benefited from the existence of EGS.

@tommy2kool read the above. This is a poster worth answering to.

Misterbee what you say is indeed true. Personaly speaking 30 free games when the client doesn't meet the basic standards any online store are not exactly what i'd consider consumer friendly. Specially because I would literally need to take a few hours to research and buy programs to do what steam does.

I'm glad at least someone from the consumer side is getting something from EGS.

Thank you for your kind words, but I don't understand. That post you quote it's not on the first page. Besides, these graphs are about prices, not quantities, so I don't know where are your basing your reasoning on.

So why do you think they say they are glad with having an exclusive at the EGS, and they would have more exclusives with them in the future? If it's not good performance on the store, what is it then?
My comment was directed at the part of your post that says humble store had similar prices between games that were EGS exclusive and those that weren't. At least that is what I understood.
If I misunderstood you feel free to ignore the comment.

The comment i posted shows that EGS exclusivity keeps games prices constantly higher then the steam games.

Before you start making accusations, you really should stop and think if you really know what you are talking about. MS sold a titanfall bundle for 450 before kinectless xbox came out in summer 2014. Even before that bundle you could find it below msrp.
is that 450$ xbox one sku cheaper 50-100$ then PS4 laucnh sku (400$) like you said?
I fail to see it.

They offer a completely self contained, unified platform that is easy to use with a tv that is affordable with high quality software you cant get anywhere else. Perhaps you see no value in that, but plenty of people do.
Microsoft doesn't fit your description...
You also didn't give any benefit from picking a console from microsoft/sony VS steam.

Feel free to do so. You have this odd sense of what competition is. Just because firm A is offering a product with a feature set you like and firm B offers a similar product with a lesser feature set it does not mean they are not competing.
I already explained 3 times.
How come you don't read it?

I have added you to the ignore list as you don't answer any of my questions.