• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Don't hate the players, hate the game. Some incredibly wealthy people aren't bad. Amazon dude's wife seem ok, and Oprah? Bill Gates maybe? If you see someone getting beat up, or in trouble and you can help, do so if you can. One day someone may wonder if you are rich enough to not need help.

"I look to a day when people will not be judged by their skin color, but by their Character." Judge them by their character not wealth.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - Trolling
Games should only be on steam! They should do away with consoles and just make steam machines, cell phone games should also only be available on..........................steam.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
True story, I played cell phone games with Steam Input controller configs. Marvel Future Fight still didn't fill the hole that Marvel Heroes left in my heart.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I don't get this forum. I got a lot of free games out if the epic store and only ever bought a couple others.

If you are mad at the store for stealing games for steam, the. Just wait or spend your money elsewhere. There lots of great games deserving time and attention yet people here make it think like Epic bought everything under the sun.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get this forum. I got a lot of free games out if the epic store and only ever bought a couple others.

If you are mad at the store for stealing games for steam, the. Just wait or spend your money elsewhere. There lots of great games deserving time and attention yet people here make it think like Epic bought everything under the sun.

I can understand if you haven't followed the multitude of threads on the subject but there are very real concerns that people have about the EGS and associated practices. If you don't care because you got some free games.. great! But that doesn't hand-waive others issues.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

Why can't I do all that AND criticize Epic's business practices?

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017

I am genuinely confused about the point you are making here.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I can understand if you haven't followed the multitude of threads on the subject but there are very real concerns that people have about the EGS and associated practices. If you don't care because you got some free games.. great! But that doesn't hand-waive others issues.
Steam is also full of issues. I don't even read user reviews there and their forums are hot garbage full of GGs.
GoG and their trans "jokes"...

I not saying people should not complain, everyone can and should do it if they feel like it, but most Epic complains are just about stealing games.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Steam is also full of issues. I don't even read user reviews there and their forums are hot garbage full of GGs.

I not saying people should not complain, everyone can and should do it if they feel like it, but most Epic complains are just about stealing games.
You're right, people posting on a forum is way worse than intentionally trying to tank the second hand market and forcing announced games to switch to a less feature rich launcher

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

If it was just about stealling games like yo uthink it is how come origin, GOG, blizard, uplay and bethesda don't have this kind of backlash?

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Mega64 could make a whole series of Flame War Theaters based on Resetera Epic store threads.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017

So long as your argument isn't "It's not steam, so fuck EGS" I think you are more than welcome to your criticisms. Unfortunately, arguments I tend to see around here are oblivious to what the REAL issues are and only care about having access to their PC games on steam alone.

I've said it before and I will say it again, if your only reason to gripe against EGS is "No Steam, No Buy" than I have absolutely no sympathy for you. There are real issues here, but being another launcher isn't one of them.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017

I never said you cannot. Actually we all should. What I am saying is complaining about exclusivities in this date and age makes little sense. There are tons of great games on any other store available at great prices.

I am genuinely confused about the point you are making here.

I am saying I understand some people complain because their have valid reasons, such as all missed features Epic promised, however the majority of the discussion around epic is just the fact that they have a business model people don't like. All I am saying the market will decide whether what Epic does is what they need. If people don't buy game they will either improve their store or go bust.

You're right, people posting on a forum is way worse than intentionally trying to tank the second hand market and forcing announced games to switch to a less feature rich launcher

That's up to people to decide. If Epic doesn't lure enough people to keep their practices, the will stop. But if people don't care about those features and just care about a few games here and there, then that's the market speaking.

If it was just about stealling games like yo uthink it is how come origin, GOG, blizard, uplay and bethesda don't have this kind of backlash?

Because some of those stores sell their own games only. Nobody is going to start criticising Sony for only selling their games on the PSN. GoG and the other stores compete with features while Epic competes with money. Everyone is free to do it honestly, that why we live in an open. Market.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What gives you the impression that this is the most common complain?
Of course there are the "Epic BAD!!11!" guys as well as those "FUCK STEAM!11" posters. But there are many different valid complains about the EGS and I doubt that "steals my games" is anywhere close to beeing a top priority within those complains.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
So long as your argument isn't "It's not steam, so fuck EGS" I think you are more than welcome to your criticisms. Unfortunately, arguments I tend to see around here are oblivious to what the REAL issues are and only care about having access to their PC games on steam alone.

I've said it before and I will say it again, if your only reason to gripe against EGS is "No Steam, No Buy" than I have absolutely no sympathy for you. There are real issues here, but being another launcher isn't one of them.

I think part of the issue is that some people have discussed it to death by now so it's tough to muster up enough effort to keep deep diving into the issues. That's likely where some of the "no Steam no buy" comes from. Unfortunately that's pretty much where I'm at by now.

I have a bunch of issues with the EGS and I don't like Tim to a significant degree. I just think it's been beaten to death for the most part.

Honestly my new takeaway from this particular data point was that the EGS PR machine is in full effect. Otherwise it's EGS business and discussion as usual.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
So you are very happy with Exodus sales performance on EGS, can we have numbers?

I'm interested factual data.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
So, one thing I never understood is the mentality that Steam exclusive games are good, but Epic Store exclusive games are bad... somehow. I don't get it.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
So, one thing I never understood is the mentality that Steam exclusive games are good, but Epic Store exclusive games are bad... somehow. I don't get it.

I'm not certain which games we're talking about but personally I'd be ok with it because I can buy Steam keys from a multitude of different stores, I'd get the usual Steam features that are important to me, and I wouldn't be buying from a store that I think is harming PC gaming.

Do we have examples of Steam doing the moneyhat thing to buy exclusives? If so I'm unaware of them.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
well they obviously aren't gonna talk bad about their business partner

but I do believe that EGS is a good choice for devs that want to play it safe

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
What gives you the impression that this is the most common complain?
Of course there are the "Epic BAD!!11!" guys as well as those "FUCK STEAM!11" posters. But there are many different valid complains about the EGS and I doubt that "steals my games" is anywhere close to beeing a top priority within those complains.
Reading the previous epic topics that was the most common discussion. I know people love steam for their features (I do), but the no steam no buy, is it epic exclusive comments that appear on any of game tides the conversation to epic is stealing games yet again.

Now, I get complains about features, refunds, friend list, gifting, user reviews.... But the honest conversations about Epic are very uncommon.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Just about nobody posting on this forum is oblivious to the real issues. Just because they don't want to write paragraphs to re-articulate a point they have already made (or that they have otherwise already discussed) in a dozen threads prior and in other places doesn't mean they are oblivious or ignorant, nor do they need your armchair critique of their opinion as presented if they choose to short-hand their position by saying, "fuck EGS". Context clues tend to be all that is required to know what is being said and why. And no, it's almost never simply because another storefront or launcher exists.

It's kinda like someone saying, "fuck Trump." Now you could reply to them, "well what do you mean? he's a great guy." but at this point you've probably been around and aware long enough to know why they said, "fuck Trump", no detailed explanation required. I think at this point most people would like to assume people on a dedicated gaming forum would also know why someone says something like "fuck EGS" without their commentary being cast as "just blindly hating" just because they weren't heavily articulate this time. Especially given the thousands of posts created across dozens of threads that answer the question of, "why would a PC gamer say, ' fuck EGS?'" You know?

Last edited:

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Honestly to me, people generalizing the EGS situation as "no steam no buy lol" is about like trying to criticize Trump, and having the person you're talking to come back at you with "you're just upset he won lol"

Nov 20, 2017
There's an important distinction to be made between actually making a compelling competitor and using Fortnite fuck you money to shove your way in.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Reading the previous epic topics that was the most common discussion. I know people love steam for their features (I do), but the no steam no buy, is it epic exclusive comments that appear on any of game tides the conversation to epic is stealing games yet again.

Now, I get complains about features, refunds, friend list, gifting, user reviews.... But the honest conversations about Epic are very uncommon.
I mean, there's a reason for that, right? There have already been dozens (dozens!) of threads worth of discussion -- often going into GREAT detail -- presenting exactly what the frustration is about the features or lack thereof, Epic's aggression within the PC space, questions about Epic's commitment to the PC platform, questionable or even dishonest statements from EGS leadership, and why people are subsequently uncomfortable with or otherwise put off by EGS.

That discussion happened long ago.

So my question is: Why do you think people need to re-litigate that every time an EGS conversation comes up as if they need to say all of those same things that have been presented already yet again?

People are approaching these conversations today like calculus. The foundation of addition, division, subtraction, and multiplication were already laid. Just like in college calculus, in order to join the discussion now, you need to already have that working base knowledge. Walk into an advanced calculus class and complain about why people aren't explaining how times tables work and you'll get annoyed people staring at you. Now imagine some random person doing that every time calculus class is in session. You might get hit with a "shut the fuck up and sit down!" comment and feel personally attacked without knowing why. Well it's because for the last 10 calc sessions, we've been unable to continue with the advanced conversation because someone keeps challenging the multiplication tables. They've gone as far as to make graphs and charts just to make their issues as simple as possible to understand and still the same simplistic questions or reductive commentaries keeps coming up. People get frustrated and you would too.

The meat of the honest conversations has been done. People have already said what they wanted to say in heavy detail. They don't need to re-tread that all over again just for your satisfaction. You're free to go back and read those threads if you're looking for understanding on why people might feel the way they feel. Just because they've moved onto abbreviating their comments on new news like this doesn't mean they haven't already had the base-level conversation, establishing their full breath of thoughts. They just might not be in the mood to do it again for your (or any other individual's) sake. It's exhausting and derails convos.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

The argument against EGS has never been "no Steam, no buy". Many people have explained in great detail why Epic's practices are bad for customers and for the future of PC gaming. In any case, since you mentioned it, why is "no Steam, no buy" wrong?

I never said you cannot. Actually we all should. What I am saying is complaining about exclusivities in this date and age makes little sense. There are tons of great games on any other store available at great prices.

There are, absolutely, but what if I don't want to play those other games and I want to play a specific one that is exclusive? Why does it make little sense to complain about that?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

As far as we know Valve hasn't paid anyone for exclusivity, timed or otherwise. In fact they've often made it a point to recommend to their partners to release on all platforms where customers are. Which games are you talking about?

Edit: I apologize for the double post.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
That's a bit of a generalisation. Not all user reviews or forums are bad.
I mean, there's a reason for that, right? There have already been dozens (dozens!) of threads worth of discussion -- often going into GREAT detail -- presenting exactly what the frustration is about the features or lack thereof, Epic's aggression within the PC space, questions about Epic's commitment to the PC platform, questionable or even dishonest statements from EGS leadership, and why people are subsequently uncomfortable with or otherwise put off by EGS.

That discussion happened long ago.

So my question is: Why in the hell do you think people need to re-litigate that every time an EGS conversation comes up as if they need to say all of those same things that have been presented already yet again?

People are approaching these conversations today like calculus. The foundation of addition, division, subtraction, and multiplication were already laid. Just like in college calculus, in order to join the discussion now, you need to already have that working base knowledge. Walk into an advanced calculus class and complain about why people aren't explaining how times tables work and you'll get annoyed people staring at you. Now imagine some random person doing that every time calculus class is in session. You might get hit with a "shut the fuck up and sit down!" comment and feel personally attacked without knowing why. Well it's because for the last 10 calc sessions, we've been unable to continue with the advanced conversation because someone keeps challenging the multiplication tables. They've gone as far as to make graphs and charts just to make their issues as simple as possible to understand and still the same simplistic questions or reductive commentaries keeps coming up. People get frustrated and you would too.

The meat of the honest conversations has been done. People have already said what they wanted to say in heavy detail. They don't need to re-tread that all over again just for your satisfaction. You're free to go back and read those threads if you're looking for understanding on why people might feel the way they feel. Just because they've moved onto abbreviating their comments on new news like this doesn't mean they haven't already had the base-level conversation, establishing their full breath of thoughts. They just might not be in the mood to do it again for your sake.
The argument against EGS has never been "no Steam, no buy". Many people have explained in great detail why Epic's practices are bad for customers and for the future of PC gaming. In any case, since you mentioned it, why is "no Steam, no buy" wrong?

There are, absolutely, but what if I don't want to play those other games and I want to play a specific one that is exclusive? Why does it make little sense to complain about that?
The complaints make every bit of sense when you actually look at the circumstances in how these games became EGS exclusives.

I am on my phone and leaving the house to eat, I'll answer to those questions when I get home.
Have a nice day you all!

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's a bit of a generalisation. Not all user reviews or forums are bad.
I feel like people who complain about user reviews don't actually use them. There's thousands of games on steam that don't have much coverage and reviews are a great way for me to get a short summary of what the game is about along with a general consensus if it's good or bad. A tiny fragment of games get review bombed but I feel like they're useful for me in 99% of cases. Games don't always get review bombed for bad reasons either imo. During the summer sale I was going to buy LA Noire VR Case files but noticed there was a big uptake in negative reviews recently. Turns out the Rockstar social club DRM hadn't been working for weeks and the game was unplayble. If it weren't for user reviews I would have bought an unplayable game

Steam forums also provide solutions to problems you might be having. They're great for troubleshooting/tech support

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Also search google, the solution to a problem may be anywhere and google is a pretty good search engine for finding information, it will also include steam forums if it's only found there, also youtube or other video sources which could be helpful in giving a visual step by step if you need it.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

Steam exclusives are exclusives because the devs/publishers chose to make them so.
Epic Games Store exclusives are exclusive because Epic pays devs/publishers for it.

That's the difference.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
What have been the net negative effects of the EGS?

How are you quantifying this?
okay let me rephrase

Epic's methods of competition are going to be detrimental to the the health of the PC digital distribution market in the long term if they continue, and there's no reason to think that they won't. It's currently bad for consumers, because every game that becomes Epic-exclusive causes an overall reduction in competition: instead of a game being available at multiple storefronts that compete with each other on pricing and features, it is only available at one store. It also doesn't help that the Epic store fails to meet the standards set by the rest of the PC digital distribution market, even if you exclude Steam.

I would also say that the Epic store is also generally bad for the vast majority of indie game developers, since you either grab Epic's attention for a rare exclusive contract, or you're locked out of the store completely.

It's also bad for smaller second or third tier digital distribution stores. Valve is so successful and well-established that it will be fine no matter what epic does, but smaller players do not have a way to compete with a major storefront that literally prevents games from showing up on their store.

Because games that are exclusive to Steam in the way that games are exclusive to Epic literally do not exist.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
When metro exodus was "steam exclusive" I could buy it outside of steam for 38€.
When it became EGS exclusive, I could buy it on EGS for 60€, and offered a worst service.

I'd prefer every game to be on every store & platform, if that doesn't happen, I'll gladly ask for it to be where it will give both the biggest amount of service ( family share etc. ) and the lowest price.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

What exactly is wrong with the sentiment of "no Steam, no buy"? It stems directly from one of the biggest reasons that people are so frustrated with EGS, namely that its launcher is incredibly barebones compared to Steam. PC players are understandably peeved at being forced to use a greatly inferior product to play third-party titles, many of which were originally marketed as launching on Steam.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Or wait for it to get to Steam, like waiting to get a hint of PC version of GTAV but not as long. Not as bad as hoping for a non Steam version of games, hints, or it never happening. I only just learned of GOG's wish list that devs seem to look at? I never really understood the benefit of putting games on wishlists other than marketing using that information to determine interest in games, or kids that don't have the money and are actually using it as a wish lists for relatives to see what they want for gifts.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
Or wait for it to get to Steam, like waiting to get a hint of PC version of GTAV but not as long. Not as bad as hoping for a non Steam version of games, hints, or it never happening. I only just learned of GOG's wish list that devs seem to look at? I never really understood the benefit of putting games on wishlists other than marketing using that information to determine interest in games, or kids that don't have the money and are actually using it as a wish lists for relatives to see what they want for gifts.
Wishlists are indispensable. There are a lot of games I want to play that I can't justify buying immediately, either because buying everything at once would be irresponsible or because the game would just end up sitting in my backlog for six months. To me, the main purpose of a wishlist is to avoid forgetting about any of those games when I do feel the itch to buy something new. I just open the wishlist and pick something from the 30-ish games that I typically keep in it.

I also get email notifications when wishlisted games go on sale. And it's also useful when the big seasonal sales hit. It's a convenient list of games I know I'm interested in (and don't own). I can see all the discounts on those games, if any, all in one place.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
That's an interesting use for it, I see what you mean. I wonder if there's an function like that in a script or something, something private, and something only you could see (doubt that since that info would be valuable, unless it's open source and you can block info from being sent back). I'm thinking about that steam sales site (steamdb), or something like Amazon companion/leech app Honey. At least with Steam you should be able to block certain people from seeing the wish list like someone from Epic.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Personally i think costumers like you are not "naive" but prefer to see the status quo burn DESPITE it being the best we costumers have had.
There is 0 reason to believe that Valve will respond by improving their service.
There is 0 reason to believe EGS will change their ways and fight steam on even grounds.

Despite knowing that at this stage there is no reason to be "hopeful" you choose to be so because you are "intrigued".

I'll give you an example; Microsoft started to charge for online gaming. Sony instead of "competing" just choose to also charge online.

What are the reasons that give you hope that Valve will improve instead of starting to moneyhat like EGS?

You must be blind if you think MS and Sony aren't competing with each other. Pretty much everything MS has done this gen is to in response to Sony.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Wishlists are how everybody gauges interest nowadays, which is odd to me because wishlists don't always translate to sales

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Capitalism man thanks late stage capitalism man for helping create more late stage capitalism.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
okay let me rephrase

Epic's methods of competition are going to be detrimental to the the health of the PC digital distribution market in the long term if they continue, and there's no reason to think that they won't. It's currently bad for consumers, because every game that becomes Epic-exclusive causes an overall reduction in competition: instead of a game being available at multiple storefronts that compete with each other on pricing and features, it is only available at one store. It also doesn't help that the Epic store fails to meet the standards set by the rest of the PC digital distribution market, even if you exclude Steam.

How does pricing on the EGS compare to steam and other PC storefronts?

I can't imagine it being any different as pricing is set by the publishers and often to match the pricing of the same games on other platforms such as consoles.

If pricing isn't meaningfully different, what part of games being on EGS exclusively for a while is bad for consumers?

They don't get to choose which launcher they use, limiting choice in that area, but I hardly see that as a significant downside.

I would also say that the Epic store is also generally bad for the vast majority of indie game developers, since you either grab Epic's attention for a rare exclusive contract, or you're locked out of the store completely.

It's also bad for smaller second or third tier digital distribution stores. Valve is so successful and well-established that it will be fine no matter what epic does, but smaller players do not have a way to compete with a major storefront that literally prevents games from showing up on their store.

So if an indie developer releases elsewhere, they're locked out of the EGS? That sounds... surprising. Are you sure that's true?

Would be an utterly bizarre thing for Epic to do.