• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
That post looks pretty accurate to me excepte Paragon was killed off by Epic as well as UT

It was the consoles/tablets, twitch streaming and the free to play, that made Fortnite huge. It's got big dispite the EGS not because of it.

Also has Fortnite Save The World gone Free to play yet?
Not yet, they have so many cool classes in that game which I really like, and the skins looked better to me than Fortnite stuff. I hoped Paladins Realm Royale would get Epic to make a mode with the Save The World classes in it.

RXShhGO.jpg

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
Not yet, they have so many cool classes in that game which I really like, and the skins looked better to me than Fortnite stuff. I hoped Paladins Realm Royale would get Epic to make a mode with the Save The World classes in it.

Shame, I susepct it will never get out of EA while that Fortnite money keeps on comming in or they take it out the back and shoot it as well.

Deleted member 29195

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's what happens when the money from being an RTX title and on EGS could fund the games development itself.

Kinda weird this is how games are made now.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
And I can appreciate that. And if they have made the offer I certainly wont stop you, just as a side question outside of Epic approaching you, is there anyway to approach them with your game?
You might have misunderstood, I was merely talking about revenue profit. We were merely discussing as a team which platforms to release the game on. Steam was a given because of its population, but Epic is very attractive if using UE4.
However, contacting them is as easy as ID@Xbox.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You might have misunderstood, I was merely talking about revenue profit. We were merely discussing as a team which platforms to release the game on. Steam was a given because of its population, but Epic is very attractive if using UE4.
However, contacting them is as easy as ID@Xbox.
Thanks was curious to see whether or not whether the games on the EGS were predominantly developers being approached by Epic but it seems like there is two way communication which is good. Do you anticipate any difficulties if you plan on releasing on multiple storefronts?

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Well this paragraph doesn't signal your position at all :P

I'm very open about my position. I want EGS to succeed and live alongside Steam, because I'm hoping the two will push each other to improve. Perhaps that's naive of me. It's the same reason I want AMD and Intel to duke it out... same as Nvidia and AMD... Sony and MS... Amazon and Wal-Mart, so on and so forth. I think disruption leads to competition and competition leads to a better product, especially in the tech space. I completely acknowledge that Epic's product is currently inferior and understand why some are philosophically upset about moneyhatting. I also understand Epic has developed a business strategy in an attempt to "disrupt" and I can respect them sticking to said strategy. I'm willing to wait to see how the cookie crumbles before fuming outrage over every single freaking mishap, purchase, tweet, news bit, etc... I guess when it comes down to it, I'm not as personally put out by Epic's tactics -- I'm more interested in the games than the launcher -- as I am intrigued by their business decisions going forward and whether or not they pan out.

As you alluded to, I completely agree that folks are more than entitled to showing their distate with Epic's "disruption". As I stated above, I'm just hoping the new equilibrium includes both storefronts because I'm of the belief both sides will compete a hell of a lot harder if they feel the other side is stealing their customers.

Lastly, just wanted to thank you for being respectful with your post. I try to stay out of too many EGS/Steam threads because my viewpoint is not shared by most who are vocal on ERA and I get frustrated with blind stubbornness (on both sides) [Full disclosure: I was even temporarily banned one time when I let things boil over on my end and realized after the fact it's not worth it] so I really appreciate it when a poster like yourself responds.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I like that EGS is disrupting things. Steam isn't a console maker, there is no reason for them to be demanding console-sized cuts on an open platform, imo.

Well, for starters Steam's giving me more features then any of your consoles, some of which you the customer are paying the console makers for.

And that's on top of the money they take in on royalties and advertising space sold on your personal console.

How dare they give their customers more features, not ask them a dime, and still claim the same cut! Those consumer friendly bastards.

Last edited:

Fanta

May 27, 2018
The billion dollar CEO giving millions to the million dollar CEO while employees in both companies suffer under crunch sure is a "unique" business model

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would be more inclined to agree if Epic did more that throw their money around. I dont feel like Epic or Steam have gotten better out of this and I really dont like Epic still

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I'm very open about my position. I want EGS to succeed and live alongside Steam, because I'm hoping the two will push each other to improve. Perhaps that's naive of me. It's the same reason I want AMD and Intel to duke it out... same as Nvidia and AMD... Sony and MS... Amazon and Wal-Mart, so on and so forth. I think disruption leads to competition and competition leads to a better product, especially in the tech space. I completely acknowledge that Epic's product is currently inferior and understand why some are philosophically upset about moneyhatting. I also understand Epic has developed a business strategy in an attempt to "disrupt" and I can respect them sticking to said strategy. I'm willing to wait to see how the cookie crumbles before fuming outrage over every single freaking mishap, purchase, tweet, news bit, etc... I guess when it comes down to it, I'm not as personally put out by Epic's tactics -- I'm more interested in the games than the launcher -- as I am intrigued by their business decisions going forward and whether or not they pan out.

As you alluded to, I completely agree that folks are more than entitled to showing their distate with Epic's "disruption". As I stated above, I'm just hoping the new equilibrium includes both storefronts because I'm of the belief both sides will compete a hell of a lot harder if they feel the other side is stealing their customers.

Lastly, just wanted to thank you for being respectful with your post. I try to stay out of too many EGS/Steam threads because my viewpoint is not shared by most who are vocal on ERA and I get frustrated with blind stubbornness (on both sides) [Full disclosure: I was even temporarily banned one time when I let things boil over on my end and realized after the fact it's not worth it] so I really appreciate it when a poster like yourself responds.
Personally i think costumers like you are not "naive" but prefer to see the status quo burn DESPITE it being the best we costumers have had.
There is 0 reason to believe that Valve will respond by improving their service.
There is 0 reason to believe EGS will change their ways and fight steam on even grounds.

Despite knowing that at this stage there is no reason to be "hopeful" you choose to be so because you are "intrigued".

I'll give you an example; Microsoft started to charge for online gaming. Sony instead of "competing" just choose to also charge online.

What are the reasons that give you hope that Valve will improve instead of starting to moneyhat like EGS?

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Metro Exodus EGS exclusivity was so such a huge success that you can now play the game for $1 without having to use said platform.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
You can also play the new Gears for $1 soon too, that service seems to have nothing to do with a worth of a game. Microsoft must have gotten a deal? I did a quick google search, was it ever explained how this deal or situation came to be? It was one of the games I was considering downloading on the service, I went for Ape Out since it was a smaller size.

Oct 25, 2017
You can also play the new Gears for $1 soon too, that service seems to have nothing to do with a worth of a game. Microsoft must have gotten a deal? I did a quick google search, was it ever explained how this deal or situation came to be? It was one of the games I was considering downloading on the service, I went for Ape Out since it was a smaller size.

Good one. Same for DMCV.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Personally i think costumers like you are not "naive" but prefer to see the status quo burn DESPITE it being the best we costumers have had.
There is 0 reason to believe that Valve will respond by improving their service.
There is 0 reason to believe EGS will change their ways and fight steam on even grounds.

Despite knowing that at this stage there is no reason to be "hopeful" you choose to be so because you are "intrigued".

I'll give you an example; Microsoft started to charge for online gaming. Sony instead of "competing" just choose to also charge online.

What are the reasons that give you hope that Valve will improve instead of starting to moneyhat like EGS?

I will take your post piecemeal, but if you think I'm getting too nitpicky, let me know:

1) Remember when Steam sales had outrageously low prices for top level games with even more amazing lightning deals? The same can't be said for their more recent sales, so don't give me some nonsense about "best we customers ever had". There is ALWAYS something better.

2) If EGS ever gets big enough to potentially significantly hurt Steam's customer base, you and I both know -- 100% without a doubt-- Valve will be forced to improve their service. It is the number one rule of business. Adapt or die.

3) EGS can't afford to NOT change their ways. As many have said, moneyhatting is not sustainable regardless of how big Fortnite is. I would guess their hope is EGS becomes big enough that the 88/12 will be enough to draw the games, and hence, draw the customer. I suspect EGS wants to fight Steam on even ground, but the best way they see to get there is via their current strategy.

For the above reasons, I feel justified in being hopeful as opposed to "obliviously intrigued".

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
And now I'm reminded that Amazon sales are something I miss. They are the reason I had so many UPlay and Origin games. Looking over Ubi and EA stuff now on Amazon it's so full of currency cards and dlc/mtx.

Edit: There's a friggin Fortnite Monopoly boardgame.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, we're good.

absolutely not

competition is only good insofar as it has a positive effect on the market, and Epic is a net negative

How exactly? Epic is essentially adding financial security to studios and developers in offering them funding and even compensating for losses, adding a further safety net. That is a positive for the industry, at least if you have any sentiment towards creators and games, and not just saving money or having a game on a platform of choice.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
And now I'm reminded that Amazon sales are something I miss. They are the reason I had so many UPlay and Origin games. Looking over Ubi and EA stuff now on Amazon it's so full of currency cards and dlc/mtx.

Edit: There's a friggin Fortnite Monopoly boardgame.

AND a Millennial Monopoly boardgame
I have the Street Fighter one too that one's baller

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Q
How exactly? Epic is essentially adding financial security to studios and developers in offering them funding and even compensating for losses, adding a further safety net. That is a positive for the industry, at least if you have any sentiment towards creators and games, and not just saving money or having a game on a platform of choice.
I wouldnt say its a net positive or negative this early. Part of that is because they are extremely selective of the games they allow onto the site so its more of a positive for the few they want onto the store which ranges from AAA titles guaranteed for success, crowdfunded games and to games popular on steam's wish list. So essentially games which already had a decent following and weren't likely to fail. Although I can see why the proposition would be enticing for up and coming indies who need to cover loans and expenses asap.

Still as many have noted the added security comes with a lot of conditions (most notably exclusivity) which is concerning as a pc gamer. Mostly becuase we now have publishers trying to encourage this business model which is effectively we will sell our game to the store which gives us the largest sack of money regardless of what features/policies/prices they have on their site. Effectively this business model phases out consumers requirements altogether by creating bottlenecks in supply. Definitely not a net positive.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Lowering the cut won't make any difference when Epic is paying upfront for exclusives <- that right there is the real draw for publishers. And it's why there's little reason for Valve to budge on their 30% fee.

They can't pay that out forever. The plan is (I assume) to use it to get people using their store. If they ever reach a point when they are a legitimate alternative to Steam, they can stop giving the payouts because If the expected sales on either platform is about even, pubs and devs will choose the platform with the significantly lower cut. If it gets to that point, Steam will have to lower their take to be competitive and his would be good for devs, pubs and by proxy, gamers. That's the idea anyway, but who knows if they ever get there.

Fair point and I do agree if steam where to lower their rates(along with console makers) that would be great......But, as we've just finished discussing in this very thread, there are other storefronts which offer even lower cuts than steam or Epic and yet they dont seem to being supported so clearly whilst the cut is good on paper developers and publishers just dont want this alone.......so what is it that they want?

Well same reason why we have this thread....same reason why developers and publishers are preaching the cut when only talking about Epic and not itch.io.......the same reason pc gamers and other devs dont like the EGS . The large sack of money which buys the exclusivity rights. This is Epics main strategy and main business model and though I can see why developers and publishers would be delighted to have storefronts line up and compete for their full attention with sacks of cash........most of us see where this will lead to and its not good for the pc market for reasons outlined already.

Those other stores aren't supported by pubs and devs because their sales are chump change compared to what they see on Steam. Epic solved that problem with their payouts and that's why the pubs and devs are there.

Last edited:

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I will take your post piecemeal, but if you think I'm getting too nitpicky, let me know:

1) Remember when Steam sales had outrageously low prices for top level games with even more amazing lightning deals? The same can't be said for their more recent sales, so don't give me some nonsense about "best we customers ever had". There is ALWAYS something better.

2) If EGS ever gets big enough to potentially significantly hurt Steam's customer base, you and I both know -- 100% without a doubt-- Valve will be forced to improve their service. It is the number one rule of business. Adapt or die.

3) EGS can't afford to NOT change their ways. As many have said, moneyhatting is not sustainable regardless of how big Fortnite is. I would guess their hope is EGS becomes big enough that the 88/12 will be enough to draw the games, and hence, draw the customer. I suspect EGS wants to fight Steam on even ground, but the best way they see to get there is via their current strategy.

For the above reasons, I feel justified in being hopeful as opposed to "obliviously intrigued".
You are not nitpicking. I don't mind you answering my comment by parts if it helps your understanding
  1. Still happens on authorized steam key sites. Here is an example you can pre-order FM2020 (MRSP 50€ on steam) for around 30€ on 2game uk. Do remind me when steam sales were so good pre-orders were 40% off. Also while you say steam sales are worse I highly disagree with that. IF you want to prove sales are worse i'd really apreciate you showing me data (for example isthereanydeal) that clearly shows that games are less discounted NOW instead of whenever you think sales were more aggressive. Also do you remember those lightening deals being basically popular games and if you liked niche games you were, well , ignored?
  2. Valve can adapt by moneyhating like EGS. Valve gets 0% from steam keys, they can charge for those steam keys and use that money to buy exclusives. Why is valve going to improve when EGS is not competing with improvements. There is nothing EGS does that valve doesn't. What incentive is there for valve to improve instead of just buying exclusives like EGS? you keep ignoring this. Answer it!
  3. If EGS "wanted" to fight steam how come they don't even have features steam doesn't have? Look they didn't even bother to have basic features that even the most basic UNOFICIAL cd-key stores have. this is where you are wrong, EGS, at this point has 0 interest in competing with steam. what they want is a piece of the pie, costumers be damned.
IMO your reasons are not good enough to be hopeful. In your 3 points there is nothing like "EGS is doing this, which steam should be doing". This is the spirit of competition; which as of now doesn't exist. You are hopeful of a future that,currently, doesn't have any indication it will happen.

Personally i don't mind people using EGS from the exclusives/free games/preference. What i find weird is costumers like you that think Valve will improve steam when their competition isn't playing "fair*". The incentive EGS does is just like origin and uplay to push for getting the biggest exclusives so you can have the biggest costumer base. There is 0 incentive to improve their clients to offer a better service to the costumer.

If you really don't see the harm EGS is doing (for the costumer) think like this. Metro came out on EGS for 7 months and has an historical low higher them FM20 pre-order. Let that sink in! buying a pre-order on steam WW prices is cheaper then buying a 7 months old game. Despite devs earning more money per sale on EGS, despite EGS moneyhating, despite the game being a "sucess" it is still barely discounted.
As a costumer how do you see the above as "hopeful" is beyond my comprehension.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The problem is really the bolded and underlined part. EGS isn't just a different client when compared to steam, is it?
You are highly disingenuous for saying that.
For example I use the following almost daily:
  1. BPM
  2. controller configuration
  3. family sharing
  4. broadcasting
The just anotherclient/platform is highly unfair.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The problem is really the bolded and underlined part. EGS isn't just a different client when compared to steam, is it?
  1. BPM
  3. family sharing
  4. broadcasting

What is BPM? And are you saying you can't stream games whilst playing games on EGS? Also, wouldn't controller configuration simply be an in game customisation option?

In any case, these things seem like mostly minor quality of life priveleges, and really not worth being so vehemently against something that is otherwise actually financially supporting and securing devs and studios. These are also things that you could simply put pressure on Epic (or devs) to improve upon or add in terms of features or functionality etc. It's still a fairly new platform after all, so will take time to flesh out.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
He means "we" as in publishers and developers. EGS was made with consumers not their main priority, but getting devs and pubs more money.

They really overestimate how many gamers care who gets what percentage though, as most just want deals, features and convenience. EGS would have to be cheaper on my end to get me to care.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
  1. BPM
  3. family sharing
  4. broadcasting

He didn't call it a client, he called it a platform. Platforms often do have different features. Like if I buy a game on PS4 I get trophies, but if I buy it on Switch I get portability, etc.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
What is BPM? And are you saying you can't stream games whilst playing games on EGS? Also, wouldn't controller configuration simply be an in game customisation option?

In any case, these things seem like mostly minor quality of life priveleges, and really not worth being so vehemently against something that is otherwise actually financially supporting and securing devs and studios. These are also things that you could simply put pressure on Epic (or devs) to improve upon or add in terms of features or functionality etc. It's still a fairly new platform after all, so will take time to flesh out.
  1. BPM is big picture mode, allows me to use my PC as a console.
  2. Sorry if i wasn't clear. I don't steam using the net I meant streaming inside my home. For example i can go to the bedroom and use the PC on my living room to stream to my device
  3. IMO this clearly shows you don't play on steam much. It is rare to find in game customization options; specially if you are playing games from 1990-2000s.
those QoL are important for me as a costumer. It is the difference between just clicking launch games to having to fiddle with definitions in every game. It increases my game time, it is easier to use and are necessary for my enjoyment of PC gaming.
WHy is it on me to put pressure on EGS? it is the other way around! EGS should be pressuring me with amazing features so that i'd leave steam.

My point still stands! EGS is not just a different client like you claim. If those steam features don't matter to you,its fine. Just don't claim they don't exist.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
He means "we" as in publishers and developers. EGS was made with consumers not their main priority, but getting devs and pubs more money.

They really overestimate how many gamers care who gets what percentage though, as most just want deals, features and convenience. EGS would have to be cheaper on my end to get me to care.

No they didn't. They know gamers don't care about developer percentages, that's the whole reason they're buying exclusives.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
He didn't call it a client, he called it a platform. Platforms often do have different features. Like if I buy a game on PS4 I get trophies, but if I buy it on Switch I get portability, etc.
You are correct but if you read nib95 comment it reads and implies, at least to my understanding of English, that EGS is very similar to steam with no major differences.

Which is not true at all.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017

You can use apps on the PC to customize controllers, like a game profiler or Steam Input. I do that since I mainly use the Steam Controller to play all controller friendly games on PC, including Microsoft Store games.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Epic focuses on games that already have a following, though. And while that doesn't inherently mean guaranteed success, it means that they're in a more fortunate situation than the majority of developers out there. Epic isn't focusing on developers that are on the verge of collapse, so if you're an indie developer developing a game that isn't as popular as these games Epic are focusing on, you'll find yourself in an even tougher landscape than before since Epic is providing more money and attention to games that already were more popular than yours. This doesn't necessarily create a healthier eco-system for indie-developers, it's just healthy for the select few and not so much for the rest.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Also, wouldn't controller configuration simply be an in game customisation option?
Steam's controller configuration options are more advanced than any in game customization option in any game and work regardless of whether a game even *has* in-game customization options at all - or even controller support at all(!). And they work out-of-the-box for every controller you can think of - Xbox, Playstation, Switch, etc and even really obscure peripherals.
People can also upload their configurations and others can easily download them.
Steam Input is legitimately a game changer.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden

As has already been said a million times across the various threads about this, Valve doesn't actually set the prices in the sales.

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
It seems to me that these EGS vs. Steam conversations are always split between those who use the platforms as a game launcher vs. those who use more of the features provided by the platform. If all the platform does is launch games, then whichever one you use isn't a huge deal. But if you use any of a platforms added features(i.e. Steam's controller and streaming stuff, or Blizzard's social features), then the loss of those features on other platforms is larger.

For myself, the way that I play games means I lose out on a lot when I don't play them on Steam. I use the Steam Link for some games so I can play them on my TV, which then also uses the Steam controller configuration that has made using a controller on any game easier than was possible before. I have it setup where Steam can stream my gameplay to friends if they want to watch me play something they're interested in, without me having to do anything more than setting the option in Steam. Lately, I've been experimenting with Valve's Steam Play support on Linux for a few games, which has made switching gaming over to Linux a viable option.

If none of this stuff matters to someone, and all they want is a game launcher, then EGS is fine. I haven't personally used it since before they launched the store (RIP Unreal Tournament), but it did its job back then and I assume it still does now. But there are real value adds for Steam's features that no other store currently replicates, and for those like me that take advantage of them, it makes Epic's simply a launcher much less appealing.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
It seems to me that these EGS vs. Steam conversations are always split between those who use the platforms as a game launcher vs. those who use more of the features provided by the platform.

I mean, let's be real here.

EGS vs. Steam threads seem to always split between those who actually game on PC vs. those who don't use the platform at all.

Funny how I never see the regular faces who stan for EGS in any other PC related threads.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I'm very open about my position. I want EGS to succeed and live alongside Steam, because I'm hoping the two will push each other to improve. Perhaps that's naive of me. It's the same reason I want AMD and Intel to duke it out... same as Nvidia and AMD... Sony and MS... Amazon and Wal-Mart, so on and so forth.

That's reasonable as long as rival companies choose to compete in a customer-friendly way. Epic isn't doing that, Epic is engaging in corporate warfare that actively worsens the customers' position. Rooting for Epic to succeed by using these kinds of strategies is analogous to rooting for Intel to succeed at the time that the company was forcing OEMs to cut AMD completely out of their PCs or lose Intel entirely. This isn't competition. This is anti-consumer bullshit.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It seems to me that these EGS vs. Steam conversations are always split between those who use the platforms as a game launcher vs. those who use more of the features provided by the platform. If all the platform does is launch games, then whichever one you use isn't a huge deal. But if you use any of a platforms added features(i.e. Steam's controller and streaming stuff, or Blizzard's social features), then the loss of those features on other platforms is larger.

For myself, the way that I play games means I lose out on a lot when I don't play them on Steam. I use the Steam Link for some games so I can play them on my TV, which then also uses the Steam controller configuration that has made using a controller on any game easier than was possible before. I have it setup where Steam can stream my gameplay to friends if they want to watch me play something they're interested in, without me having to do anything more than setting the option in Steam. Lately, I've been experimenting with Valve's Steam Play support on Linux for a few games, which has made switching gaming over to Linux a viable option.

If none of this stuff matters to someone, and all they want is a game launcher, then EGS is fine. I haven't personally used it since before they launched the store (RIP Unreal Tournament), but it did its job back then and I assume it still does now. But there are real value adds for Steam's features that no other store currently replicates, and for those like me that take advantage of them, it makes Epic's simply a launcher much less appealing.

You can use Steam Input stuff for anything outside of Steam, usually with nothing more than linking the game or app to your steam library to launch it from steam. Even some EGS games that don't require the app to run can be used simply by linking the exe in Steam's Library. For games that do require the EGS app to run you just have to use EGS' exe and pick the game and controller profile from there. There may be a lot of other things in steam that you can use outside of steam as well, or you can likely find a better alternative like Nvidia's features: video recording/encoding/streaming, screen shot, Freestyle (it's like reshade in that it changes to look of a game), and so on.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to ignore the Steam Input tool on other launchers just because it's Steam. Use it, you're on a PC. It's there to use.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
I mean, let's be real here.

EGS vs. Steam threads seem to always split between those who actually game on PC vs. those who don't use the platform at all.

Funny how I never see the regular faces who stan for EGS in any other PC related threads.
This has been my read also. People who use PC as their main platform seem to overall dislike it while people who are more "casual PC gamers" seem to defend it.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
And I think people who mainly use PC and limit themselves to a few ways to play games on it are, well understandable if they don't like to trouble shoot, but wasting the full potential of what the PC offers. Some don't have the time or the interest in messing with things and that's understandable, we almost had Steam Machines after all.

The best thing on PC to me, the most satisfying, is after I solve an annoying issue, or the process of trying to min max just the right amount of tweaks for a new game. Overclocking is the best, with the old Polaris GPUs especially since you can customize so much with them (memory straps, bios editing, no or little voltage restrictions), it's more of a game to me at times than actual games, and when things are done being tweaked with everything is a little bit boring.

One thing that constantly have me troubleshooting is Steam Input with the Steam Controller, because sometimes a Steam update can change how it behaves or hooks. I used to be able to play some games with their saved controller profiles which may most likely use Steam overlay since I tend to go overboard for my customization, for something such as touch radial menu for example, without going into BPM (which I try to avoid since it sometimes caused Steam to use a lot of resources for no reason, no downloading or decrypting in the background, nothing. I think I found the solution to this old problem I had for years in the thread below* and so far so good), then a update happens and I have to use BPM, and suddenly I notice I can use it without again. Or a issue happens and I have to try the game while being in beta or out of beta, whichever one I'm not in currently. Like all troubleshooting, it's annoying at first, but when it's done I'm a bit happy, then it shows up again and the cycle continues. There's also something with Steam Input where there's some phantom buttons firing. For example I try to avoid jumping while L2 (aim down sights) are held down because it causes one of my abilities to fire for some reason. I think the answer to that is the video link below**, I never really tried it though because my Warframe configs are way to complex now and I don't want to screw it up (sometimes a config has to be abandoned, if it ends up having too much weirdness going on, for a fresh start. It's like some old settings are just saved but you can't get rid of it or see it).

Modding, sweet sweet modding, even adding and creating your own mods, so good, but not for everyone.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
This has been my read also. People who use PC as their main platform seem to overall dislike it while people who are more "casual PC gamers" seem to defend it.

I'm not sure which specific posts you're referring to but if you mean the folks that play the occasional PC game in the way that I play the occasional mobile game.. and are happy to get something free without being invested in the ecosystem, or care about the health of the ecosystem.. Yeah I can see how we wouldn't be on the same page.