• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure what 'championing' means (english is not my main language) but i guess it means 'defend'. I'm not trying to defend EGS. I just didnt understand how people can get so upset about it. I think i kinda understand it now. i still think that being upset to a developer that goes to EGS is wrong though. And you know, it's all business.. Steam is not their friend neither or something.
Its business but one business decision benefits me as a consumer , the other doesn't. I certainly dont begrudge indies for taking the deal but I wont support them or the EGS cause I dont like their business model and I fear that EGS succeeding with said strategy will be detrimental to the pc market place.

Steam and all the other storefronts arent my friends but they arent actively going against my interests either so they get my money while EGS gets my condemnation.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Again, this proves nothing. You can spend 300 million dollars on UA when your MAU is 10 users; that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

What I'm saying is none of this is needed. At all. The PC market was fine before all of this started, and is now in a worse state because the fragmentation is not making anything better. You can argue all you want regarding UA budgets, it's completely irrelevant since consumers have nothing to gain by it.

All this boils down to is people wanting more money. Not a solution to anything, or an improvement, just more money. And there's not necessarily anything wrong with that; it's just very odd when people try to defend that when they're not the ones benefitting from it.
Nowhere did I try to prove anything other than that a high UA spend is normal.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
I'm remarkably disappointed in the performance of Metro Exodus on my X1X playthrough. Both technically and gameplay wise :(

(I know that wasn't the point)

Oct 27, 2017
Its business but one business decision benefits me as a consumer , the other doesn't. I certainly dont begrudge indies for taking the deal but I wont support them or the EGS cause I dont like their business model and I fear that EGS succeeding with said strategy will be detrimental to the pc market place.

Steam and all the other storefronts arent my friends but they arent actively going against my interests either so they get my money while EGS gets my condemnation.
This i totally get. Some people however go crazy on the developers.. (But i understand being upset if you're a Patreon backer)

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I sure can't wait for more CEOs to champion a system that gives them a lofty minimum sales amount guarantee from a store that is literally creating a monopoly on what was once an open platform.

Hey, how much of that presumed extra money made its way to the developers?

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I like that EGS is disrupting things. Steam isn't a console maker, there is no reason for them to be demanding console-sized cuts on an open platform, imo.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This i totally get. Some people however go crazy on the developers.. (But i understand being upset if you're a Patreon backer)
And I agree harassing and deaths threats are certainly no go areas and Im very much against this. For the most part I think you'll find that the pc community on this site is largely respectful of indie developers who are open and candid about why they are taking the deal.....But then you have developers(you know the one) who are extremely snarky about the situation, developers wholl break patreon promises and AAA publishers who'll happily preach the virtues of the EGS whilst ignoring stores with some of the same virtues and inconspicuously not mentioning the money upfront...... Those guys I wont harrass same as any dev but I wont respect or defend them either as they have absolutely no moral high ground in my book.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Personally I like that EGS is disrupting things. Steam isn't a console maker, there is no reason for them to be demanding console-sized cuts on an open platform, imo.
In the age of subscriptions I think the argument of console sized cuts needs to be addressed as well. However please explain how Epic's brand of disruptions will be better for the pc market?

closer

Oct 25, 2017

It's business, they are able to use the number because it was a familiar standard and keep that standard because they are the defacto storefront and people need them and their reach. Ostensibly a real challenge to that standard needs to also provide similar things that the standard is providing, like EGS currently has to deal with multiple practical consumer woes (beyond ppl attributing corps as ppl) that definitely sets them as an "inferior" product, so their current attempt at setting a new standard is kind of a shallow attempt. Devs/pubs would love to make more money per unit sold, but it is completely unclear that EGS can provide the same reach or access to the market that steam does and whether the new cut can offset thay loss, thus you have EGS providing money up front in order to bolster (and poach) their userbase and provide peace of mind to those willing to engage

There is more to egs that im not getting into (microtransactions at the new rate, diminishing sales on new steam games, the incoming streaming wave, etc.), like this is actually kind of a fortuitous time for epic to make a move, im pretty interested in what things will look like in 5 years+

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

And yet that fee allows them to invest their R&D, manufacture hardware, provide a healthy non crunch work culture, and provide free online services that console makers do not.

But hey let's keep being needlessly selective about the same flat tax that the pubs would be paying anyway, that generates a higher margin than retail releases, and one which if they really had a problem with they'd be talking about not only other PC services but likely be having discussions with the console makers too frankly.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
In the age of subscriptions I think the argument of console sized cuts needs to be addressed as well. However please explain how Epic's brand of disruptions will be better for the pc market?

The obvious outcome is eventually EGS competition will force Steam to lower the cut they charge. (And yes, I realize they have special cuts for certain developers) That's honestly good for everyone (well, except Steam).

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Competition is always good.

But Epic Game Store is, by their own words, not competing directly for consumers. They are competing for publishers and developers exclusivity rights to try and force consumers over to their storefront.

There's no benefit whatsoever to me as a consumer so I will continue to boycott EGS for the foreseeable future.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I mean it's a publisher who got a great deal from Epic of course they're gonna say that

closer

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason they would lower their cut is if the new cut was shown to be more viable money-wise and business shifted greatly towards EGS, with valve's position in the market that's not going to happen even remotely. However, i dont think it would be the weirdest thing to start seeing bidding wars around large IPs. Like if starfield or football manager started getting a lil feisty i think valve might do something.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
The obvious outcome is eventually EGS competition will force Steam to lower the cut they charge. (And yes, I realize they have special cuts for certain developers) That's honestly good for everyone (well, except Steam).

Please elaborate how this is good for everyone? How does this help me or you? And don't give some wiffy waffy reasoning about how because it's good for the devs then it's automatically good for consumers by proxy too, just cos.
They're out getting paid and ultimately looking out for themselves, so ditto here.

And again particularly you say good for everyone but Steam, when once again you're ignoring the other 30% charging storefronts of the PC space; some of which are able to subsidise deals from their own cut such as GMG, allowing games to be more affordable. Exactly unlike what Epic is doing by being the single source for many titles.
If the cut for small stores like that are squeezed, then their days are numbered.

Last edited:

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fair point and I do agree if steam where to lower their rates(along with console makers) that would be great......But, as we've just finished discussing in this very thread, there are other storefronts which offer even lower cuts than steam or Epic and yet they dont seem to being supported so clearly whilst the cut is good on paper developers and publishers just dont want this alone.......so what is it that they want?

Well same reason why we have this thread....same reason why developers and publishers are preaching the cut when only talking about Epic and not itch.io.......the same reason pc gamers and other devs dont like the EGS . The large sack of money which buys the exclusivity rights. This is Epics main strategy and main business model and though I can see why developers and publishers would be delighted to have storefronts line up and compete for their full attention with sacks of cash........most of us see where this will lead to and its not good for the pc market for reasons outlined already.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

A): That's not the obvious outcome. Can can alter their cut as they like. They gave a break to the larger game sbefore epic came along. And nothing epic is doing gives them any reason by lowering their cut.

B): No, that's not good for me. One of the best thing about gaming on PC is the proliferation of stores that you can buy from. They can run a business with less overhead, developers still get their full cut because the seller takes the savings out of their cut, and I benefit from multiple competitive storefronts.

These things are widely known. Did you already know them?

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017

I honestly seen this talking point repeated about a thousand times in these threads already... and I still can't comprehend it.

We all know at this point that publishers and developers don't care two shits about Epic's 88% if they weren't guaranteed a minimum sales guarantee or a payment upfront to get into the store. We still haven't seen Epic cut prove to be a sustainable model especially since they're dumping so much money to exclusives, discounts paid from their pockets and weekly free games. Add to that their barebones, piece of trash store that is not operating anywhere near the scale of Steam is operating in.

How does any of that "force" Valve to compete when the only thought that may be going in their heads is "Huh, they're sure dumping a lot of money into thing... *shrugs*"?

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm welcoming EGS and all these free games to my PC library. I'm down with that. Hades will likely be the first game I actually buy on it.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It is what it is. I do like to hear publishers constantly stating their satisfaction with the performance of their titles on Epic's store when there's a whole contingent of people hell bent on saying games won't/don't sell well there due to not being on Steam.
Some people said Fortnite wouldn't have a big enough population on pc, not being on steam when the BR early access started. If a game is good people will find and play it on PC. Not all people if they very determined to only play games on one or specific apps of course.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, I remember GFWL. Gosh it was just great.
Competition made it so their pay for multiplayer attempt was shut down. Thank goodness. People had options. Last gen people had options on console with PS3 and WiiU/Wii vs Xbox 360's pay for online multiplayer, now they don't on console unless they stick to free to play and subscription based games on PC and I think Switch.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Until a company who has a deal with EGS reveals actual numbers, those who have already made up their mind about the evils of Epic will not be swayed. Even if numbers are one day revealed, the "statisticians" among us will find ways to discredit. In other words, the OP is a non-starter in furthering the discussion. Most likely, until a game comes out concurrently on Steam and EGS and sells more on EGS -- which may never happen -- there will never be peace on this topic and even then folks will whine about how comparatively featureless the Epic launcher is.

"Disruption" is the hot topic when it comes to business these days. There are books, classes, presentations, and articles both in academia and within the civilian sector which go into great detail regarding the benefits of disruption within a given industry. Rather than the poster you asked the question of provide an explanation which you will likely dismiss from the get go, look into what some "experts" have to say. Examples: https://smallbiztrends.com/2017/04/business-disruption.html

From a bird's eye view, will disruption always benefit the customer? That's debatable, but anytime a system is perturbed, eventually a new equilibrium is reached. The goal as the disruptor is to be a more significant component of that new equilibrium than the prior iteration.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
The 70/30 talk is always so disingenuous when we know Epic paid a shitton for exclusivity.

I've long argued in these threads that Epic couldn't afford exclusives if Steam just cut their take. The price Epic pays for an exclusive is predicated on them later only taking 12%.

Steam clearly agrees since they already reduced their cut in response. If they matched Epic's cut, I struggle to see how they'd keep making the deals they do.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
Some people said Fortnite wouldn't sell well not being on steam when the BR early access started. If a game is good people will find and play it on PC. Not all people if they very determined to only play games on one or specific apps of course.

Fortnite: Save the World was got a lot of flack because it was a pretty generic coop zombie shooter. But once they turned it into a BR game it blew uo from day one as it beat PUBG to XBOX and PS4 which were crying out for a BR game.

I don't rember anybody of note saying it was going to not sell well. Can you name some?

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
I've long argued in these threads that Epic couldn't afford exclusives if Steam just cut their take. The price Epic pays for an exclusive is predicated on them later only taking 12%.

Steam clearly agrees since they already reduced their cut in response. If they matched Epic's cut, I struggle to see how they'd keep making the deals they do.
I don't see how any action on Valve's part would stop Epic from paying millions of dollars up front in exchange for exclusivity.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Lowering the cut won't make any difference when Epic is paying upfront for exclusives <- that right there is the real draw for publishers. And it's why there's little reason for Valve to budge on their 30% fee.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite: Save the World was got a lot of flack because it was a pretty generic coop zombie shooter and that got but once they turned it into a BR game it blew uo from day one as it beat PUBG to XBOX and PS4 which were crying out for a BR game.

I don't rember anybody of note saying it was going to fail. Can you name some?
On the other site, and I'm sure reddits. Just like most games that intend to be big but not be put on Steam, people laugh about it and say it's needs to be on Steam if they want players. I'll do a quick search but I doubt I'll be posting a link to that other site here. I never really used reddit when Fortnite BR Early Access launched but I'm sure it was there too. I was very close to all of this since I was anticipating Fortnite Save The World to get out of early access at the time and the BR EA was free to play without buying the Fortnite EA (didn't want to buy it just for it to be free the next week or month, and the darn thing is still pay to play haha).

Will edit, doing a quick search for post numbers.

#383 said:
Thread Title: "Fortnite (Epic, PC/XB1/PS4) announces 'Battle Royale' mode"

Hey now the new UT is actually pretty good and as someone who absolutely loved UT2k4 I would love nothing else but for UT to see a revival

The problem is that as long as its tied to that stupid Epic Games Launcher no one is ever going to play it

Fortnite and Paragon have the advantage of being on consoles where you don't have to deal with that crap
As a Paragon fan this one hit close to home. Though I didn't really have problems finding quick matches on PC, especially with PS4 crossplay.

#15 said:
"It seems that Fortnite launch didn't really affect PUBG playerbase on PC"

Also not to forget Fortnite on PC requires you to download a separate EPIC client and only available here it's not available on Steam to play it

PUBG is available on Steam client, this can affect it too if Fortnite was on Steam it would've boosted it abit more on PC but obviously won't be enough to get most of the PUBG crowd away

Last edited:

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

What does the 12% have to do with the massive amounts given to every single exclusive EGS game?

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I'll always say, I think the whole "exclusives on PC is bad" argument is dumb. It's still the same platform, you're just using a different launcher. I don't think it's a big deal considering nobody complains about Uplay and Origin anymore. It's annoying, yes, but it's not that dramatic. And it's definitely not the same as console exclusives, where you have to buy new hardware to play them.

I agree, though, that the whole purchasing games that have been announced on Steam for a while is VERY scummy, both on Epic and the developer's side, but if a game is announced and released on EGS from the beginning (like Borderlands 3 or Hades, for example) I don't see the issue.

Their business model, as of right now (because it won't last as soon as Fortnite's popularity starts going down), is very beneficial for developers, and I think that's a positive thing. If the developers earn more money this way, they can put more work and resources into making or improving their games, so that's positive for us, too.

I don't know, I think the whole EGS thing has been overblown because everyone hates Fortnite for some reason and all the hate is falling on the platform now. I agree it has its flaws and it's still very green, but it's very new! Be patient, more features will come in the future. And, if they don't, I will be the first in line to complain about it.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The only thing I can see valve reacting who is the abuse of using steam to promote a game that will be pulled from there. Because you know, we can't have nice things.

Even that, though. I don't know if they'll even bother with. The only reason valve has to react is that epic is directly trying to put the hurt on steams users by making things difficult for them.

Changing the cut though? lol that does nothing to protect their users. That just hurts their users.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Their business model, as of right now (because it won't last as soon as Fortnite's popularity starts going down), is very beneficial for (the lucky few) developers, and I think that's a positive thing. If the developers earn more money this way, they can put more work and resources into making or improving their games, so that's positive for us, too.

Fixed, Epic has not helped many developers, nor the ones that need the most help. And have directly turned away developers just because they want to sell as many copies as possible but Epic only wants to increase their marketshare. How does that help developers?

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how any action on Valve's part would stop Epic from paying millions of dollars up front in exchange for exclusivity.
What does the 12% have to do with the massive amounts given to every single exclusive EGS game?

It changes the price (for the worse if you're Epic).

Buying exclusivity amounts to paying for the copies the game would've sold elsewhere (estimated of course). If my game would've sold 100K on Steam, but 70K on EGS, then EGS needs to pay me to make up for it. But because of the cut disparity, a copy sold on EGS is worth more than a copy sold on Steam. I get to "keep" about 61K of the 70K copies I sell on EGS, while I only keep 70K copies of the 100K I would've sold on Steam. So EGS only needs to pay me for 9K copies (yes yes, there would be negotiations and whatnot). That's much easier for EGS to pull off than if the cuts were equal.

Again, Steam is definitely aware of this. That's why they let AAA games (that sell a ton typically) keep more of the revenue. They wanna make it harder for Epic to land some huge exclusive.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a big deal considering nobody complains about Uplay and Origin anymore.
That's because Ubisoft and EA aren't poaching games from other stores, which as you say yourself is "VERY scummy". It's not something I want to support. That's why I'm happy to use Uplay (now it's not a mess) and Origin but will never touch EGS. Because Epic is covering the cost of sales publishers would get if they released on other stores means we can abstain from buying from EGS without it hurting the developers. Weird, huh?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

Buying exclusivity amounts to paying for the copies the game would've sold elsewhere (estimated of course). If my game would've sold 100K on Steam, but 70K on EGS, then EGS needs to pay me to make up for it. But because of the cut disparity, a copy sold on EGS is worth more than a copy sold on Steam. I get to "keep" about 61K of the 70K copies I sell on EGS, while I only keep 70K copies of the 100K I would've sold on Steam. So EGS only needs to pay me for 9K copies (yes yes, there would be negotiations and whatnot). That's much easier for EGS to pull off than if the cuts were equal.

Again, Steam is definitely aware of this. That's why they let AAA games (that sell a ton typically) keep more of the revenue. They wanna make it harder for Epic to land some huge exclusive.

Uh Steam has been giving AAA games a better share for a long time, everyone in the industry knew about this. This existed from before EGS existed. The cut is not why devs are going with EGS, and so far the major AAA company to go with EGS are using it for their own launcher where they get 100% of the revenue, Ubisoft

Deleted member 47092

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Good for them - I'm glad the game has performed well and they're happy with a new "partner".

Interesting times ahead.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Provide a better service then, the rest will happen after. As someone that was always fairly ambivalent about the whole egs thing I have to say my first customer experience with it has just been annoying making me scramble for dualshock 4 support when I haven't thought about it in years. In the end I had to put the game into steam as a non steam game which is honestly ridiculous.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
I don't know, I think the whole EGS thing has been overblown because everyone hates Fortnite for some reason and all the hate is falling on the platform now.
I don't think that's a fair assessment of the situation.

We rarely have any indication of exactly how much money Epic is paying out, but when we do, it's in the millions. You're going to have a hard time convincing me that a lower Steam store cut would have such an impact that Epic would actually be unable to find many developers or publishers willing to take millions of dollars up front for an exclusivity deal.

Also, Valve changed the way their split worked before the EGS was announced.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
On the other site, and I'm sure reddits. Just like most games that intend to be big but not be put on Steam, people laugh about it and say it's needs to be on Steam if they want players. I'll do a quick search but I doubt I'll be posting a link to that other site here. I never really used reddit when Fortnite BR Early Access launched but I'm sure it was there too. I was very close to all of this since I was anticipating Fortnite Save The World to get out of early access at the time and the BR EA was free to play without buying the Fortnite EA (didn't want to buy it just for it to be free the next week or month, and the darn thing is still pay to play haha).

Will edit, doing a quick search for post numbers.

As a Paragon fan this one hit close to home. Though I didn't really have problems finding quick matches on PC, especially with PS4 crossplay.

That first post looks pretty accurate to me excepte Paragon was killed off by Epic as well as UT

It was the consoles/tablets, twitch streaming and the free to play, that made Fortnite huge. It's got big dispite the EGS not because of it.

Also has Fortnite Save The World gone Free to play yet?

Last edited:

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Until a company who has a deal with EGS reveals actual numbers, those who have already made up their mind about the evils of Epic will not be swayed. Even if numbers are one day revealed, the "statisticians" among us will find ways to discredit. In other words, the OP is a non-starter in furthering the discussion. Most likely, until a game comes out concurrently on Steam and EGS and sells more on EGS -- which may never happen -- there will never be peace on this topic and even then folks will whine about how comparatively featureless the Epic launcher is.
Well this paragraph doesn't signal your position at all :P . Whilst I agree that the story in the OP doesn't progress the discussion, it like all other discussions on the topic exists to highlight and discuss the information we know and how it compares with industry positions overall. Throughout the past 2 threads alone you'll see that people still cling to an antiquated view of pc gaming as a whole and its nice to get the chance to hear from developers on the matter. It would be interesting to compare concurrent release data but I doubt epic would let that happen as that would show definite weakness on their part. Also for the record if the EGS store is still lacking in features consumers can "whine" all they like cause Epic wants their money after all.
"Disruption" is the hot topic when it comes to business these days. There are books, classes, presentations, and articles both in academia and within the civilian sector which go into great detail regarding the benefits of disruption within a given industry. Rather than the poster you asked the question of provide an explanation which you will likely dismiss from the get go, look into what some "experts" have to say. Examples: https://smallbiztrends.com/2017/04/business-disruption.html
From a bird's eye view, will disruption always benefit the customer? That's debatable, but anytime a system is perturbed, eventually a new equilibrium is reached. The goal as the disruptor is to be a more significant component of that new equilibrium than the prior iteration.
Also just for the record I asked that user how Epic's specific disruption strategy would be beneficial for the pc market place and I am happy to engage, discuss and even concede on some of his views just as Im happy to read up some of the relevant literature you've suggested.Disruption is a topic where I work as well but just as important is analysing your respective market, identifying the need/gap and tailoring your product accordingly . As you've correctly noted disruption does not always benefit the customer and whilst its a comforting thought the know that the market will reach an equilibrium, observations like these are the intellectual equivalent of "water is wet" because they dont address any observations or risks associated with one market strategy over another.Coming into a conversation and pointing out that Epic wants to be a disruption whilst ignoring the greater conversation of why people dont support the disruption when youll agree that disruptions dont really have to succeed or fail is kinda......white noise.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
If valve dropped the cut to 12% epic will stop doing the exclusives because they promised. Pinky swear.