• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
So he later says he's not alt-right...but uses the alt-right NPC meme and bust out alt-left for good measure.

Thinking.gif
He seems centrist at worst. He most likely wasn't using the meme, he was talking about NPC:s because he's a game developer. I doubt he is even aware of the meme tbh.

Last edited:

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
morans.jpg

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Well , the message of the video is cool and all. But we need to take into consideration that it was made in 2011. When racism and bigotry were still....you know ....a bad thing.

A lot has changed from 2015 to this day and people with bigoted views tend to be more upfront about it. They don't feel the urge to hide it anymore and feel that they have a whole community that supports them.

Jaffe's latest tweets are not cool and they fall under the alt-right dog whistles. Is he a racist? maybe not, is he trying to cash in from these people? absolutely, he has simpathy for the plight of the people targeted by the alt-right? i don´t think so.

Absolutely agreed.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah he has a right to a platform doesn't mean we don't have a right to lash back. I hate this mentality, "Just let him speak!" motherfucker we have no real control over that shit we're just responding to his rhetoric. On top of that freedom of speech doesn't mean sites like youtube have a legal obligation to host your videos either.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree but I think it's a fair perspective.

I was speaking to my gay friend at a Pride parade before and he was telling me we should be tolerant of the neo Nazi's that try to ruin the parade with their gay hate speech. I really disagree with that, those thoughts (and similar) aren't isolated and harmless. With a significant platform they warp minds.

Jaffe made God of War, so his thoughts relate to video games.
no offense but your gay friend is a chode

gays that get brainwashed into centrism are depressing

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not necessary.

A combination of both can be, and has been, achieved. As long as this side approaches this particular argument with a rational and realistic mindset.
By definition if you are refusing to address a person how they wish to be addressed (an action that costs you a grand total of fuck all), then you are not approaching an engagement with them with even a semblance of respect, and to suggest that you are is disingenuous bullshit

Oct 27, 2017
I used to think that the best way to defeat messengers of hatred was to let them speak.
Let them spout their horrific views and people will sensibly argue against them, show them to be the ignorant fools they are and laugh them off any stage they speak from.

Now, I am very aware that the only way to defeat hate is to deplatform it.
Hatred spreads and manipulates too easily. We live in a world where every fact is questioned. People use mobile phones built with cutting edge science and technology to decry scientific method. There's no reasoning with that kind of ignorance. It has to be squashed with no room for it to spread.

I hope that Jaffe and anyone else who thinks like I used to, realises the error of their ways.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Jaffe has been drifting towards being "both sides" for a while now, so this isn't too surprising. I'm all for protecting free speech, but to say the "country is suffering" because of shutting down people like Milo is absurd. Not the hill you want to die on, David.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
My respect for Jaffe, which was already low before today, has achieved less than zero.

Congrats, David. You suck.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jaffe has always came off like an idiot to me, glad he confirmed it to me atleast.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
How long until Jaffe and Cliffy join forces and announce a new game studio to work on a new flop?

Also, hate doesn't deserve an outlet. It's destructive.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
One time I instituted him as a West Wing liberal on Twitter and he took it as a compliment. Pretty sure not in a "Yeah so what mother fucker??" way, but more a "thank you! I agree friend" sort of way.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I think he is right. As much of an asshole Milo is we should not be afraid of people like him and have a discussion with them and debunk their crude theories.
Especially this guy just wants to offend people but is too afraid to actually participate in a real discussion, so let's do it.

I don't get these type of opinions. How in any conscionable way does the good of any debate outweigh the massive negatives of hate speech.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
By definition if you are refusing to address a person how they wish to be addressed (an action that costs you a grand total of fuck all), then you are not approaching an engagement with them with even a semblance of respect, and to suggest that you are is disingenuous bullshit
So many people think they can get away with being absolute shitheads as long as they put up the barest pretense of polite language.

Last edited:

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Fuck David Jaffe. He can go to the hell reserved for Milo and his ilk and listen to them there. That piece of shit racist.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
Not sure what part of an alt left looks like the nazis to him.
God I love this redesign.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Jaffe has a history of not taking well to criticism so he's not going to change his mind of this given the ample evidence that deplatforming works including the recent examples of Infowars and the one he was stupid enough to build his argument around. When someone's stupid, an asshole, and privileged there's little to no hope.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Sometimes I wonder, maybe these kinds of posts like Jaffe's are soft cries for help, but the "Go fuck yourself" responses just pushes them closer to walking off that alt-right cliff.

Please get some help Jaffe, but if you do fully walk off that cliff, please go fuck yourself.

Best regards.

P.S. Corey directed the best God of War games.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I feel like our country is in the spot its in because espousing stupid and harmful views wasn't shut down enough. Everything from flat earth, to birthers to anyone legitimizing racism should have been ridiculed and shamed from jump.We're still paying for it and probably will for a while.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
wait you're telling me that david jaffe, the guy who doesn't know how to keep a business running, also doesn't know what free speech is

my goodness i am shocked and appalled

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
Fortunately barely anyone seems to be engaging with this in a positive way so it should hopefully disappear. That said he can go hang out with Boogie and they can both fuck off the edge of a cliff (metaphorically) with their centrist ass bullshit.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I followed him for a couple years on twitter. He is definitely liberal and it's kinda shocking that people judge him so harshly here.
Can attest.

It kind of reminds me of the video essay by Innuendo Studios. The left seems far more divided among themselves in certain issues like these. Meanwhile, the right doesn't care if one of their members is a Nazi and the other is a Christian zealot because they hate the left far more.

Firecrest

Oct 28, 2017
Here I was, innocent me, thinking the title was about the cancelled Project Milo for Kinect.

220px-Project_Milo_-_User_interaction_demonstration.jpg

But of course, it's David Jaffe so yeaaaah... I think he outright lost his mind after going stircrazy at home all this time.

HipHop

Banned
Feb 28, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Trolling, dismissing bigotry. Numerous infractions for inflammatory behaviour. Account in junior phase.
I agree with David Jaffee.

Era is extrmely far left to handle David's opinions. You get crucified for your thoughts

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Sometimes I wonder, maybe these kinds of posts like Jaffe's are soft cries for help, but the "Go fuck yourself" responses just pushes them closer to walking off that alt-right cliff.

Please get some help Jaffe, but if you do fully walk off that cliff, please go fuck yourself.

Best regards.

P.S. Corey directed the best God of War games.

He can fall off that cliff and break his own figurative neck if the alternative is conceding to this nonsense on an issue like forcing individuals to hand their megaphone to Yiannopoulos to "save our country." Plenty of aggressive, hateful, anti-social behaviors are cries for help; Except those people have postured themselves against anyone of good intent around them, not the other way around. Anyone with an aggressive drunk for an uncle can tell you how well things work out if you concede to the emotional blackmail of that sort of arrangement.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Can attest.

It kind of reminds me of the video essay by Innuendo Studios. The left seems far more divided among themselves in certain issues like these. Meanwhile, the right doesn't care if one of their members is a Nazi and the other is a Christian zealot because they hate the left far more.

I think that right wing unity is a fairly recently revival. For example, the Ku Klux Klan still exists, but it's largely harmless now because it has no central oversight. It's largely just a bunch of people who hang out and be racist together. White nationalist groups in Canada have also had a weak presence because they didn't really like each other.

Basically, people who make hatred a central tenant of their ideology tend to be pretty happy to hate each other too, and in order to be effective, they need someone who actively has an interest in keeping them together and takes pains to keep from collapsing.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
I mean yeah he has a right to a platform doesn't mean we don't have a right to lash back. I hate this mentality, "Just let him speak!" motherfucker we have no real control over that shit we're just responding to his rhetoric. On top of that freedom of speech doesn't mean sites like youtube have a legal obligation to host your videos either.

Why does he have a right to a platform? The 1st Amendment only protects you from the Government silencing you. It doesn't mean you have an absolute right to say what you want everywhere and anywhere. Places like Twitter and Facebook have no obligation to give everyone a voice—they're private companies.

HipHop

Banned
Feb 28, 2018
Why does he have a right to a platform? The 1st Amendment only protects you from the Government silencing you. It doesn't mean you have an absolute right to say what you want everywhere and anywhere. Places like Twitter and Facebook have no obligation to give everyone a voice—they're private companies.
lets say facebook and twitter were banning leftist or others that lean left

would you be defending Twitter or Facebook and say "they have no obligation to give everyone a voice"?

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Nnnnnnnnnnno. We shouldn't give people like Milo a platform. Free speech doesn't mean equal speech. His freedom of expression doesn't grantee him a platform, it guarantees he won't be arrested for the shit he says unless it incites violence or otherwise crosses the threshold protected by free speech laws. Private platforms have no obligation to host those with hateful views. If Milo and the people like him want a platform, they can make their own. Like Gab, or the FoxNews Channel.

lets say facebook and twitter were banning leftist or others that lean left

would you be defending Twitter or Facebook and say "they have no obligation to give everyone a voice"?
They're not banning people because they're conservative, they're banning people who violate the TOS (hate speech isn't protected), and those people happen to be conservative.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having views in the "free speech debate" isn't alt-right, it's just falling into a topic that makes good click-bait online. It has been solved to a certain extent across most of the world by defining hate speech and making it illegal. Also as was seen in universities it has no academic value so they were refused air-time on campus, the only place it is available is on social networks which have no civic duty merely financial imperative. And why the cycle of the debate continues, it makes money for YouTube.