• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Milo HAD a platform

He was horrible and toxic and it generally worked out for him

and then he defended/advocated predatory paedophilic acts and it ruined him, rightfully

Fuck Milo
Fuck David Jaffe

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017

He is just having fun guys! I don't understand why people are mad at this white, middle-aged man who is just having a bit of fun talking about these things that won't affect his own life? /s

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Let Jaffe tell it, games like God of War 2018 are pretentious and uninteresting. Acting like the Milos of the world are persecuted and marginalized is not pretentious and uninteresting, though.
To be fair considering the source material used by the latest GoW, it's a goddamn miracle it ended up being interesting at all and not just juvenile DMC trashheap like it was before.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Some of his tweets sound really confused. Bigots basically already have the platform by default, and the majority of people on said platforms have expressed their concerns on why said speech is intolerable and thus the persons in question are (sometimes) banned. The concern he has regarding de-platforming and the solution he later expresses over Twitter already happens.

Edit: Must have skimmed over this one, fuck off dude

- NPC meme
- What about the alt-left?

"I would never associate with the alt-right, I'd just dogwhistle to them and hope they become my new audience."

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Man, if only Leslie Jones and those transgender students simply had a heart-to-heart with Milo to prove their worth in merely existing. Surely, attempting to pointlessly reason with bigotry and allowing him to maintain public privileges he was never owed and maliciously used to conduct rampant harrassment meant to ruin the lives of others is far more preferable than that slippery slope of censorship. Gotta keep that TOS just for show.

(Did I get everything right?)

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This is beyond dumb in a bunch of ways that have already been mentioned. Come on Jaffe.

Last edited:

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Milo can rot.

I'm not at all defending the positions of Jaffe, but it's important to note that he isn't saying Milo should have his twitter back. He's arguing that Milo should be allowed to speak on a college campus, more or less. Even then, he's saying it more as a note to his idea that every side deserves free speech, not necessarily going to bat for Milo specifically or anything like that.

Will be interesting to see how the discussion goes tonight though and get more clarity.
Milo has a history of harassment and homophobia, blaming gamers for mass shootings, becoming the face of GamerGate, and what really killed his career was being in a YouTube interview where he condoned relationships of grown adult men/women with 13 year old boys/girls.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I'm not at all defending the positions of Jaffe, but it's important to note that he isn't saying Milo should have his twitter back. He's arguing that Milo should be allowed to speak on a college campus, more or less. Even then, he's saying it more as a note to his idea that every side deserves free speech, not necessarily going to bat for Milo specifically or anything like that.

Will be interesting to see how the discussion goes tonight though and get more clarity.
I mean, Milo still has free speech. There's no specific right to speak on college campuses specifically, or we'd have every TimeCube and Flat Earth weirdo lining up to lecture everyone on what Those Evil Professors Don't Want People to Know About The Lizard People At The Center of The Earth.

The refusal of college campuses to host him or any other person isn't some kind of assault on their freedom of speech. Interested parties are still free to invite him or anyone else at off-campus locations.

And we're talking about a guy that openly condoned relationships between grown men and 13 year old boys. It's not surprising that a lot of people and organizations are not interested in hosting or being associated with that kind of content. Nor should they be forced to, unless we're looking to violate their right to freedom of speech (which includes the right to refrain from engaging in speech, or supporting others in doing so).

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All you idiots complaining about Twitter banning bigots should post your home address so people can go and sit in your couch with a megaphone shouting shit at you all day long.

Freeze peach.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Nah. Milo can rot.

Milo has a history of harassment and homophobia, blaming gamers for mass shootings, becoming the face of GamerGate, and what really killed his career was being in a YouTube interview where he condoned relationships of grown adult men/women with 13 year old boys/girls.

I'm very aware of Milo's history and the piece of trash he is, and I don't want anyone to think that I'm going to bat for him or for Jaffe. Just saying that there's some context in the video that's worth mentioning, outside of the intentionally inflammatory title and video thumbnail.

I mean, Milo still has free speech. There's no specific right to speak on college campuses specifically, or we'd have every TimeCube and Flat Earth weirdo lining up to lecture everyone on what Those Evil Professors Don't Want People to Know About The Lizard People At The Center of The Earth.

The refusal of college campuses to host him or any other person isn't some kind of assault on their freedom of speech. Interested parties are still free to invite him or anyone else at off-campus locations.

And we're talking about a guy that openly condoned relationships between grown men and 13 year old boys. It's not surprising that a lot of people and organizations are not interested in hosting or being associated with that kind of content. Nor should they be forced to, unless we're looking to violate their right to freedom of speech (which includes the right to refrain from engaging in speech, or supporting others in doing so).

Again (and this is my fault for not being more clear) I agree that Milo should not have the "right" to be heard anywhere. He was deplatformed, he deserved it, and I don't feel any pity for him. I'll be on Jaffe's stream tonight as a counter point to his point of view. We're on the same side of this discussion (my post just wasn't thorough enough).

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
I hate the free speech argument so much. Sure you can say what you want, but that doesn't stop society from rejecting your ideals. My SO started spouting some crap like this the other day (in defense of Roseanne...) and it definitely changed something between us.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Actually, I change my mind. Jaffe is right. I, ResetEra forum member JusDoIt, should ALSO be entitled to charge universities tens of thousands of dollars to allow me to spew hateful nonsense. Never mind that nobody knows who I am or has solicited my ideas, the important part is that students are exposed to dissenting opinions. No matter who they come from and no matter how ridiculous. And goddammit, they haven't heard mine yet.

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like he simply wants the debates to silence Milo's shitty views, maybe even opening the door to Milo changing his views. While I generally advocate this approach in normal circumstances, Milo is anything but normal and has proven time and time again that his only intent is toxicity. At some point, Jaffe needs to understand you have to draw a line in the sand.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
People who think like Jaffe are outed by how they feel about people like this having a wide reaching platform right alongside the nazis and misogyinists:
As Lysander on suiped.org, a forum for "suicidal pedophiles," Larson wrote numerous posts endorsing child rape and other forms of sexual abuse.

"Why doesn't every pedo just focus on making money so they can get a pedo-wife and then either impregnate her with some fucktoys or adopt some fucktoys?" he wrote on the platform in October. "That would accommodate both those who are and aren't into incest. And of course, the adoption process lets you pick a boy or a girl."

Larson has a 3-year-old daughter who lives with relatives. He told HuffPost that he relinquished his parental rights during a custody battle. His ex-wife got a court-ordered restraining order against him in 2015 before she died by suicide. He has since remarried, he says, and is now living in Catlett, Virginia.

Larson used the moniker "Leucosticte" on incelocalypse.today ― a forum for incels who are pedophiles that was removed this week after the website Babe contacted the domain host. There, he identified as a "hebephilic rapist," noting that he's not a typical incel because he'd had sex by raping his ex-wife.

According to the site, which HuffPost viewed before it was taken down, "incelocalypse" refers to "the day we make the jailbaits our rape-slaves." (The term "jailbait" is slang for a person who is under the legal age of consent for sex.)

People like Jaffe and Boogie have their lines. They find inherent value in white supremacists rhetoric but probably would find none in having an unrepentant pedophile be treated seriously on a wide reaching stage. They'd rightfully be grossed out and entitled to push back against popularizing someone like the above but don't consider that maybe women, minorities and LGBTQ+ individuales are as repulsed at being called inhuman and urged to be culled by Milo and his ilk. To them we have to "tolerate" hearing about our worthlessness and take it seriously as an alternative to our humanity else we're entitled and not willing to listen to "reason". They do this because they don't actually care about the people they just care about the argument. The lives of the marginalized are less important than the scholarly pursuit of debate.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would argue a couple things:

1) You cant understand the shitty ideas youre opposed to unless youre exposed to them. Then you see them for who they really are.

Case in point:

2) It was Milo's platform that contributed to his downfall. Oddly, on TJ Kirk's Drunken Peasants channel lol.

BUT- NOBODY should be owed a platform. However, fighting to shut platforms down actively makes their platform grow further. Again- Milo is the perfect point to this.

The Berkeley incident actively made Milo go national over night. On all of the major networks. In these cases, youre fighting fire with gasoline.

All of these fuckers are jokes. Hacks. Scum. Lets then air their scum to the world so that the good can wash this place clean of it.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
May be of God of War wasn't deep some sarcastic crass sexist antihero edgelord piece, may be that's just a genuine Jaffe being Jaffe.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people

img_0977c9sjf.gif

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Again (and this is my fault for not being more clear) I agree that Milo should not have the "right" to be heard anywhere. He was deplatformed, he deserved it, and I don't feel any pity for him. I'll be on Jaffe's stream tonight as a counter point to his point of view. We're on the same side of this discussion (my post just wasn't thorough enough).
I hear you.

I do think that people who are sympathetic to Jaffe's position should really give some more thought to the practical consequences of what's being asked for. Like, is BYU equally destroying this country by refusing to host Dawkins or Dan Savage or any other speaker or content that's incompatible with their organizational goals or code of conduct? It's a funny and notably one-sided kind of "free speech" that Conservatives seem to be worried about here.

SbnaS

Sep 3, 2018
Jaffe always came off as an asshole when I'd watch those old gametrailers round table discussions on different gaming topics.

I'm shocked to find out he is an actual asshole /s

tombraiders

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why you think your opinion is worth trotting out when you get the basics wrong. Dude is 2 mill in debt because everyone stopped giving a shit about him including all his financiers.

so, while we're being honest, I think deplatforming is working as intended.
Jeez, so goddamn rude. Milo has been deplatformed continuously way before he became irrelevant. Now thanks to his massive ego he is throwing a huge tantrum because he though he himself was the draw and not the messages he conveyed that many people identified with. Dude is 2 million in debt because he spent money on wild lavish parties, expensive cars and jewellery thinking he could just so easily make that money back when he felt like it. It is really quite interesting. He actually had a big speaking event not to long ago and was shocked when no-one turned up. Another blow to his immature ego.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very aware of Milo's history and the piece of trash he is, and I don't want anyone to think that I'm going to bat for him or for Jaffe. Just saying that there's some context in the video that's worth mentioning, outside of the intentionally inflammatory title and video thumbnail.

yeah i watched the first half of the video and he doesn't say anything interesting or new. the whole "trigger warnings and safe space colleges are ruining our children" isn't anything new. that shitty talking point has been repeated for years now.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
If Milo was a good writer or speaker, his fans would come to him, pay to see him speak, read his blog posts religiously, and he would always be in the public consciousness. If he was a good writer or speaker he'd still be at Breitbart or another right-wing outlet, and he wouldn't be getting canceled from RNC appearances and book deals.

Since he is neither, the lack of bot amplification from Twitter and Youtube have exposed that he's of limited interest to even those who agree with his more extreme views, and the Mercer's pulling the plug showed that with no dark money he's not the baller he was pretending to be. There was literally nothing lost by him being banned from Twitter. His grift of outrage standup only works if people react to it (how much can people care about Milo with Trump and Stephen Miller actually in the WH?) and other, smarter people on his side can weaponize those reactions to further their argument that the left sucks. No one cares about anything he does or says anymore so he's broke and irrelevant.

Being banned from a public forum has nothing to do with free speech.

Deleted member 42641

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Lmaoooo

How can people be this dumb, though unless he sees the amount of support from the alt right he will get from this

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
It's always nice to see outspoken, revered people like David Jaffe expose themselves as dumb "I'm jUst AskIng qUEstIOns!" motherfuckers. Really lets you know the playing field of society is more level than you might assume.