• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
People seem to misunderstand. Milo didn't disappear because of being deplatformed.

yes he did. because even if people on the right started to dislike what he was doing, that doesn't mean they universally did. He still would've had a large contingency of followers and supporters. But all of those got cut off from him due to being removed from these platforms, and has left him unable to effectively spread his specific brand of hate and nonsense.

Deplatforming works.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but probably not for the same reasons.

I believe that the best way to show that someone is wrong is by letting the person speak, and them showing why the person is talking shit.

By opressing their rights to say something about it, it "grows" in resentment and becomes something that we can see the results nowadays, right? With Trump and etc.

Obama, a black man, was voted president for two terms. And now the same people voted the orange man for president.

Instead of supressing their opinions, we have to understand how they think and what to do to change their minds.
Lmao what

Did you enter a alternate reality or something?

It was literally the exact opposite. Trumps dumb shit was aired 24/7 on national TV. Fake news spreading throughout social media without moderation was literally part of his campaign. Bots and dipshits spreading propaganda all over the internet.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
And who's job is it to decide what is offensive and what isn't,

Here, the mods. In other places, society. Literally how it's always been and always will be. Your statement of "nothing is offensive" doesn't hold more weight than anyone else (unless you happen to be a moderator, or a real life judge).

Don't censor my opinion, mods.

Oh, they won't. Your opinion will remain here for all to see. You will probably be shown the door, though, especially considering how this is pretty much the sole contribution from your account.
free_speech_2x.png

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Those saying that freedom of speech pertains to the government and not private corporations or platforms like twitter...you are both absolutely correct and missing the larger point.

Twitter / the internet in general is a unique bastion of (crazy) freespeech, and I don't want to see that go away. Of course they have the right to ban anyone they want, but we as a society have to decide if we want the internet to be safer and homogenized or edgy and fucked up.

Milo is a turdbag but at least he's interesting. I'd rather listen to him than one of the late-night talking heads.

then you'll always be able to find a dark corner of the internet to listen to milo's inane ramblings all you like. and that's ultimately the thing to take away from this. twitter doesn't have to give people like him a platform. but there will always be places where he can get one or set one up himself. it might not have as wide of a reach as twitter does, but that's probably for the best given the shit he spouts.

TheLoCoRaven

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
So not Facebook and Twitter then
You think facebook and twitter don't have politicians in their pockets and buying any competitors that might rise up? If you act like a monopoly you should get treated like a monopoly.

Those companies make sure its hard barrier to entry. They're far from being just private companies in an open and free market.

Last edited:

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
Calling it now Jaffe is going to end up on Dave Rubin espousing even more soft-altright talking points by the end of 2019.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just read that twitter thread, my goodness, this asshole just kept digging.

Seriously held this guy in the highest regard, but outright supporting hate speech,

That's a no for me dawg,

Piss off or fuck off in whatever order you like, Mr Jaffe, I and I imagine many others are done with you.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Hahahahaha isnt it great to go to work every day and make videogames and also give a platform for people with direct ties to racial violence under a president that has emboldened the growth of white supremacy isnt that swell

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People seem to misunderstand. Milo didn't disappear because of being deplatformed. If anything that empowered him. He disappeared because he said one too many idiotic things and people began to see behind his character and image. Free speech is important because you need to trust that in the battle of ideas good will win against evil and intelligence against stupidity and ignorance. Before we started censoring people white supremacists and all manner of horrible people with horrible opinions were dying out. But now they are on the rise again because people think they have something important to say because they are being shut down. They don't and never did. Before they were silenced by thoughtful and intelligent arguments and they were free to speak and expose their own disgusting and unintelligent views. Milo isn't alt-right (even though he ignorantly called himself that) or a nazi, but he is a stupid drama queen, troll and divider. Don't trust him, but also recognise that just because you disagree with someone doesn't make them a nazi or alt-right. If we allow these horrible people to speak freely, then they will most certainly die out faster.

This specific breed of vileness has been speaking since the mid 1930s. I'm sure they'll die out soon right?

Jesus, the only thing I'll complain about as far as these forum changes goes is it's attracting the "both sides" brigade more than a woman in a video game trailer.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Jaffe is on a roll huh.

A few days back he was defending lootboxes and suggesting they were "art".

Dudes lost it.

Oct 30, 2017
Yes you are. like i said, you're free to dismiss my viewpoints for no discernible explanation, but i would most certainly like one because i think this is a topic worth discussing.

I seem to be getting a lot of arguments akin to this one: It's a private company Twitter can ban whoever they like. Well i agree that he CAN, what i'm saying is that he SHOULDN'T. I'm not defending Milo, i'm defending what i said in my original post. Milo, sadly, falls into that categoy.
What are some of Milo's ideas that are valid and should be accepted into marketplace of ideas?
Because I'm sure I can find you plenty of unbanned Twitter accounts that also share some of those viewpoints. Because they shared aspects of conservative ideology without harassment, provocation, and insults.
There are some things he has said that have no business on a social media platform or a platform for discussing ideas.

If he wants to champion typical conservative viewpoints of limited government, cutting social programs, privatizing institutions, and pushing religious fundamentalism, he can still accomplish that just fine on Twitter. Almost any half baked conservative idea can do just fine on Twitter with a ban.
I can show you dozens of twitter accounts that don't get banned for expressing those ideas.

You're going to need to start demonstrating which parts of his speech need to be allowed that were not allowed.

Blyr

Oct 27, 2017
Jaffe seems like a perpetual manchild with zero empathy, which is kind of hilarious considering he's trying to preach about "critical thinking" when it's very likely his own views have never been challenged and he's never been forced to "think critically" due to his inherent privilege, which makes this all the more ridiculous

I can't even imagine being someone in the gaming industry and seeing my colleagues get forced out/harassed to the breaking point and then turning and saying "well what they're doing is bad, but I still think they should be allowed to do it bc I've never been and likely will never be a victim of this harassment/abuse so it doesn't affect me at all and I can take a perceived moral highground so I feel better about myself, while conveniently just turning a blind eye to all the blatant bullshit that's been going down for damn near decades"

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Sad part is Milo is not even a good or clever speaker. He had a writing farm do articles for him and his speeches are just comment section level bigotry said by a live person. Imagine caping for tha

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
American Exeptionalism - there are plenty of democratic countries where people like that don't have a platform. And all are doing fine if not better than the US when it comes to society's cohesion.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Lmao what

Did you enter a alternate reality or something?

It was literally the exact opposite. Trumps dumb shit was aired 24/7 on national TV. Fake news spreading throughout social media without moderation was literally part of his campaign. Bots and dipshits spreading propaganda all over the internet.

I see what you mean, but giving them the opportunity to spread it is not the problem.

The main issue is lack of knowledge. In other words: people are dumb.

I compare it to the "flat earthers" situation. Even if internet didnt exist, there would always be "that one" person who would think "bulshit, the earth is flat". But without the internet, their opinion wouldnt be spread to others, and maybe he wouldnt have the opportunity to be educated about it.
Today this person has the option to spread it, but we also have the oportunity to educate everyone, including the dumb flat earther. But supressing his opinion would make him doubt the correct explanation.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I mean, Jaffe has a vested interest in making sure there are minimal consequences for being well-known for bad taste and general edgelordery, so yeah, makes sense that he'd see something sympathetic in the current wave of conservative provocateurs.

Oct 25, 2017
What is ruining the country?
A. A racist, sexist, bigoted and demented president
B. Police routinely killing black people with no repercussion
C. Nazis on the street
D. Some dude got banned from Twitter

Linkdevivo

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory thread derailment, antagonizing other members; junior phase account
It's getting tough to keep up with all the comments on my post, but thanks to the people who at least commented respectfully disagreeing. but i'm seeing some people like Crossing Eden and Jebusman who are actually taking my words, rearranging them and then writing whatever distorted thing they want making it look like i wrote that, when i didn't. How low can you go? This may be a website designed for fun but this type of behavior is pretty fucked up. it's slander, calumny and defamation. Taking my written words and rearranging them against my will to fit your narrative is pretty sick. Now people reading this forum will think i said this when i didn't? Come on mods.

Oct 31, 2017

This video was so annoying. "They're going after him because he's independent." Yeah, that's what it was.

Boogie knows so little about so much. Whenever he talks about some social or political issue, he's completely out of his element.

"I sit down with a Nazi, he learns tolerance from me and I learn from him about the globalists agenda and we agree to only kill half of all the Jews! A good middle ground!"
God I fucking hate boogie for that bullshit.

Yup.

Facebook if they do not want to be considered a publisher, or Twitter if they do not want to be considered a publisher. You know these giant social media forums that like to hide behind the law when it comes to liable but also want to pretend it does not apply to them when they start censoring content and people.

I don't like Milo. I think he has a right to his opinion though. He should have every right to say what he wants in a public forum as long as it is not a call to action. You know like yelling fire in a building full of people.

If we do it y'alls way we end up banning all speach because it today's world everyone finds everything offensive one way or another.

He has a right to his opinion, not a right to be heard or listened to. He's saying his opinion; that doesn't mean he gets a free megaphone.

Deleted member 9986

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would he say the same about somebody on the far left being censored? I doubt it. Especially when they argue against things he holds dear.

This isn't even a hypothetical, real and actual censorship by law is happening and actively becoming more restrictive on the other political side with the BDS movement. I would never hear something about that from this guy afaik. Correct me if wrong.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
M.Y. weaponized the ignorance and anger of young men. That's what's tearing the country apart. Disappointed in Jaffe but not surprised.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i don't understand why y'all're surprised

this has been evident for a long time

i talked over 6 months ago about how he's been both-sidesing for years, but just caught reports, and eventually a ban, for it

Last edited:

Linkdevivo

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
It's getting tough to keep up with all the comments on my post, but thanks to the people who at least commented respectfully disagreeing. but i'm seeing some people like Crossing Eden and Jebusman who are actually taking my words, rearranging them and then writing whatever distorted thing they want making it look like i wrote that, when i didn't. How low can you go? This may be a website designed for fun but this type of behavior is pretty fucked up. it's slander, calumny and defamation. Taking my written words and rearranging them against my will to fit your narrative is pretty sick. And then you have the audacity to say Jaffe is a bad person for what he said. Now people reading this forum will think i said this when i didn't? Come on mods.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay that's it. I'm starting to think that the reason why a lot of these guys want there to be a platform for neo-nazis and etc... is because they might secretly agree with them, and since they don't want to get dragged for publicly supporting them, instead they just 'respect their rights to the free speech'.

But hey, that's just my theory. I'm probably right aren't I?

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
It's getting tough to keep up with all the comments on my post, but thanks to the people who at least commented respectfully disagreeing. but i'm seeing some people like Crossing Eden and Jebusman who are actually taking my words, rearranging them and then writing whatever distorted thing they want making it look like i wrote that, when i didn't. How low can you go? This may be a website designed for fun but this type of behavior is pretty fucked up. it's slander, calumny and defamation. Taking my written words and rearranging them against my will to fit your narrative is pretty sick. Now people reading this forum will think i said this when i didn't? Come on mods.

Chef kiss* They were just exercising their right to free speech. Why you mad tho? What do you expect the mods to do? You're ok with racism, sexism, bigotry.. wouldn't it be against their free speech to censor their post?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Looks like I may be on a call with David during one of the streams sometime later this week to discuss the topic. To be clear I'm no one of importance, I just served in the Army addressing these very issues (Equal Opportunity), and thought I could add some meat to the other side of the argument (in support of deplatforming / using free speech to deplatform).

Considering taking precautions to lock down my Instagram account and purge my twitter just in case I get mobbed by any GG types (not so much for me but for my Fiance).

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's getting tough to keep up with all the comments on my post, but thanks to the people who at least commented respectfully disagreeing. but i'm seeing some people like @Crossing Eden and @Jebusman who are actually taking my words, rearranging them and then writing whatever distorted thing they want making it look like i wrote that, when i didn't.
Maybe stop and consider that stanning for Milo's right to a private platform isn't a very good idea. Doing so
-Downplays the severity of his actions
-Shows a total lack of empathy for his victims
-Emphasis on that second part
-Is literal encouragement for more harassment as if he were to be given a platform he'd go right back to doing what he was before, i.e. harassing people, radicalizing young men, and spreading what can only be described as AT BEST repugnant ideas

Somehow I feel like defending Milo's right to a private platform is worse than calling out your very transparent dogwhistle arguments. After all, i'm simply exercising my right for free speech.

Linkdevivo

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Sorry i had a comment posting multiple times because the website isn't working all that well for me, it keeps buffering. Must be because of the redesign.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

You are caping for a pedophile.

I literally do not care.

I took your word vomit post and ground it down to the basis of what you were getting to. You have been on this forum for half a year, and in that entire time have never posted, and the topic that finally got you posting, was to defend a pedophile's right to use twitter, when the specific reason he was banned, was literally publicly defending pedophilia on it.

Sep 12, 2018
I truly don't believe Jaffe finds Milo's ideas abhorrent, you can't not do so and then turn around to say "but he totally deserves a platform!".

This is how Milo should be treated at best: