• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Is this held in high esteem here?

uedawtfzqbgz.jpg

You'd think this would be simple to grasp for people, especially with historical precedence. But alas, here we are.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Define hate speech. The supream court ruled that hate speech is cover under the 1st amendment because their is no way to define it. Anything could be considered hate speech.
What
You could also google "Hate speech" and read its definition, it works.
There are plenty of countries with Hate speech laws, and they are fine. And it helps shutting up the "muh free speech people" .

From wikipedia : "Hate speech is speech that attacks a person or group on the basis of attributes such as race, religion, ethnic origin, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. The law of some countries describes hate speech as speech, gesture or conduct, writing, or display that incites violence or prejudicial action against a protected group or individual on the basis of their membership of the group, or because it disparages or intimidates a protected group, or individual on the basis of their membership of the group. "

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
No one is supressing Neo-Nazi speech. They can spout their bullshit on any website that will host them and the government doesn't do anything about it.

But if private entities don't want to host his content (Facebook, twitter, youtube) they don't have too. As they shouldn't.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
what Jaffe is forgetting here is that Milo wasn't de-platformed because he's a nazi fuck. It was because he was defending paedophilia.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Very naive. I wonder if everyone that takes this both sides position has actually spend the minimum of time looking into the data surrounding the consequences for both. This obsession with the center... I can't call it anything but stupid. Do you want better outcomes for people? Or do you just want to wank yourself off your own morality that boils down to mistaking reason with not having enough of a spine and mind to do the research necessary to note take a dumb position.

There is fucking research about how deplatforming works and you can also look at Alex Jones as an anecdote for that. But sure let's just let these people speak the marketplace of ideas will sort itself out *facepalm*. Sorry but in the real world people are not smart enough for that or the idea of racism would have already died.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
He had various platforms and used them for quite some time. People became upset and angered by the clear hate rhetoric and toxic poison he was releasing into the public discourse and thus his message was rejected.

Jaffe seems confused about this.

Oct 27, 2017
Facebook if they do not want to be considered a publisher, or Twitter if they do not want to be considered a publisher. You know these giant social media forums that like to hide behind the law when it comes to liable but also want to pretend it does not apply to them when they start censoring content and people.

I don't like Milo. I think he has a right to his opinion though. He should have every right to say what he wants in a public forum as long as it is not a call to action. You know like yelling fire in a building full of people.

If we do it y'alls way we end up banning all speach because it today's world everyone finds everything offensive one way or another.

Do you think nobody should ever be restricted/banned from any website or platform ever, for any reason? As long as they're not making a 'call to action' (even if they know what they're doing)? That's why Milo got banned from twitter in the first place. His free speech isn't banned, certain platforms have just decided they don't want him to be a part of them

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I think he has a right to his opinion though. He should have every right to say what he wants in a public forum as long as it is not a call to action. You know like yelling fire in a building full of people.

This is something that he and the alt-right full well know and bank on. They have realised that they can push and influence a pretty shitty agenda that affects a lot of people, but manage to stay between the lines so they are not challenged. Funnily enough, the outright shits of this world know better than to wear it on their sleeves on a public forum, because being caught bang to rights and being shut down doesn't help them whatsoever. They'll never shout fire, but they would sow the seeds of discontent over the passing of time to create the same level of discord, fear and hysteria. The long game.

They also know that they can instantly invoke a defence force with "censorship!" which it is why it is one of their most banged drums. I am in no uncertain terms that these fucks would absolutely shut down anything that they don't agree with if they seized control.

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes voices against certain progressive ideologies are labeled hate speech, which is what I have a problem with.

Not all cases are clear cut, and that's when a discussion should be had.

Milo is a known charlatan though and he was given more attention than he deserves.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Facebook if they do not want to be considered a publisher, or Twitter if they do not want to be considered a publisher. You know these giant social media forums that like to hide behind the law when it comes to liable but also want to pretend it does not apply to them when they start censoring content and people.

I don't like Milo. I think he has a right to his opinion though. He should have every right to say what he wants in a public forum as long as it is not a call to action. You know like yelling fire in a building full of people.

If we do it y'alls way we end up banning all speach because it today's world everyone finds everything offensive one way or another.
Private entities not allowing speech that they disagree with THEIR platform isn't banning anything, unless you'd be fine with me coming into your home and speaking shit about you, your partner, and your kids. You shouldn't be able to throw me out of the house, you should allow me my opinion. After all, free speech.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with Jaffe. I'll take free speach over censorship any day of the week. Just remember you could be next.
This is not censorship. It's shutting down a hateful voice that should never have a voice to begin with. Deplatforming works and for people like milo deserve it. Jaffe is wrong here.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I was actually debating with him yesterday (during the resetera upgrade) and he really didn't answer anything satisfactorily for me.

At one point he tries to make it seem like I was assuming he was talking about specific private companies, which I did because he wasn't responding to government oversight originally and the only speech bans milo has is with private companies.

I asked him to clarify and he ignores it, goes off on a tangent and then started high fiving people who was kissing his ass.

In fact I found the entire experience offensive as he was conflating issues, assuming things about me and ultimately tried to make it seem like millenials are short sighted because of the world we have been brought up in and that eventually we will learn.

I was tempted to post that historical news op Ed asking for people to allow the nazis to speak their beliefs as it would help debate but decided it was pointless as he seemed more concerned with comparing countries to China and ignorant millenials.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched the whole video, but I get his point about college. College is where you're supposed to learn to question stuff and judge things for yourself. It makes sense to me that you need to expose people to both good and bad so they can learn to judge for themselves and tell the difference. Surely full censorship or erasure of (bad) ideas is how we get history to repeat itself.
On my country the people that go to colleges to speak are actual , known experts in the area that have something to teach the audience. We don't bring random insane people from the streets to screech at an audience for an hour. What kind of insane colleges are y'all attending?

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yet this is the same guy who has a personal grudge against Kyle Bosman because he, someone paid to voice his opinions about videogames, said he didn't like one of his games. lol ok

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Actually, as history has proved over and over again, you can't beat people who are dedicated to the destruction of civility and equality by giving them a seat at the table and trying to reason with them like adults. Their objective isn't understanding or compromise, it's the total subjugation of their ideological opponents. They don't want to win the game, they want to light you and the game on fire and build a totalitarian hellscape over the cinders.

Some ignorant fence-sitters are redeemable but fascists who know full well what they're doing are not to be tolerated. They are to be ostracized by any means necessary, including violence if they advocate ethnic cleansing. These maniacal fuckers are simply incompatible with the kind of society in which decent and fair minded people would wish to live. They are, by their own admission, the enemy of such a society when they openly oppose humanistic values.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
More like Gaffe.

Alt-right rhetoric is generally just a call to attack minorities.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Who looks at Milo's ravings and thinks "We need to help him propagate that"

Define hate speech. The supream court ruled that hate speech is cover under the 1st amendment because their is no way to define it. Anything could be considered hate speech.

Other developed countries have managed it just fine. The US is not the be-all and end-all of laws.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
what Jaffe is forgetting here is that Milo wasn't de-platformed because he's a nazi fuck. It was because he was defending paedophilia.
Yep. He should have been deplatformed for his hate speech but regardless, suggesting re-platforming Milo is literally advocating for a paedophile to talk about why he thinks paedophilia is alright.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
I like Jaffe, and appreciate his optimism, but I think he's just wrong when he says this.

Saying that bad folks are entitled to free speech is one thing, but saying they're entitled to any specific platform is another.

Milo already speaks out loud and proud. It's how we know who he is.

I agree with Jaffe. I'll take free speech over censorship any day of the week. Just remember you could be next.
No we can't be next because we dont spout lies, ignorance and hate.

Though I don't agree with premise of it being a binary between free speech and censorship, you definitely can't say for sure that you couldn't be censored next.

Regardless, it's not that simple. People's ability to speak freely is not being infringed or curbed. People are simply free to not listen, and to not use their means to amplify every message.
Folks (in most places at least) don't have any given right to be heard, nor entitlement to major platforms.
Not all ideas all equal.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not the children locked up in cages, it's not the increasing number of school massacres or terror attacks by white nationalists, it's not the increasing wealth gap, not the rapidly increasing poverty, not the genocide of Yemenites.

It's a nazi pedophile not getting a Twitter account. Now that's tragedy.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Not providing idiots a platform to spout hate is now censorship. What a dumb hill to die on.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
also jaffe: "I think it's vital for a healthy debate that you can scream 'Fire!' in a crowded theater. It's impossible to say if it's bad or not,"

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I agree in the sense that we should have free speech but I completely disagree that we suffer when we try to shut down hate speech.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure he'd love to have colleges host Milo to give a talk, but I sure as hell wouldn't appreciate my tuition money going towards paying a ""provocateur"" (with no interesting insights) to spew right-wing nonsense unironically. That's not the same thing as being presented ideas to discuss within the context of a classroom environment. Those "ideas" aren't new either, Jaffe; we're bombarded with that shit daily. If you're enabling these people, you're implicitly supporting them.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with Jaffe. I'll take free speach over censorship any day of the week. Just remember you could be next.

Get out of here with that bullshit!! This is not censorship. That vile ass had a chance to say what he wanted to say and was rejected plain and simple. That's your shot at free speech. It means the government can't pass laws in regard to what you can say. Free speech does not mean you have the right to say what you want without consequence. He does not have the right to spread his bigoted, racist, sexist, hate filled message. Nor does anyone have to allow him a platform.

Jaffe is being a complete moron here and needs to shut up before he destroys whatever legitimacy he has left. Or he's just showing his true colors now that he's out of the industry.

Last edited:

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I wonder where David Jaffe was when Marc Lamont Hill was fired for speaking out against the apartheid regime in Palestine.

Oh right, dumb dudes like David Jaffe only comes out to defend the free speech of neo-nazis, but never the marginalized/brown/black/queer/trans/female/poor. It's somehow always the far-right that needs "free speech".

BazookaXp

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory false equivalencies surrounding bigotry and intolerance, fear-mongering surrounding censorship, junior phase account
Milo is not given a gag in his mouth, he can still spout whatever he wants, finding an audience is his problem. Twitter, Facebook et al. are not beholden to give him a platform.

How would you feel if I said Facebook would no longer accept people of a certain race? No one is owed a platform right?

Also for what I can tell is Jaffe is talking about an open forum period. You know the public square aka a public college campus. A place where all ideas should be able to be shared.

You know like all the Marxist bull we hear be spread now. You don't see riots for people trying to ban Marx from college campuses.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

If you get banned on Neogaf for saying you hate blacks, hispanics and jews, that's not censorship. This is the issue that this dude and people like you argue over. You have no idea what censorship and free speech is.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Essentially, Jaffe is on the typical tech-guy marketplace of ideas thing. Throw all the ideas out there and the best ones will rise to the top. What could go wrong? Apart from the marketplace getting spammed by disingenuous shits looking to manipulate the thing for their benefit and the detriment of all others.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes voices against certain progressive ideologies are labeled hate speech, which is what I have a problem with.

Not all cases are clear cut, and that's when a discussion should be had.

Milo is a known charlatan though and he was given more attention than he deserves.

Such as?

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Yeah, no. Yesterday regional elections in Spain are the latest proof that if you give free publicity to a far right ideas they will have success

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How would you feel if I said Facebook would no longer accept people of a certain race? No one is owed a platform right?

Also for what I can tell is Jaffe is talking about an open forum period. You know the public square aka a public college campus. A place where all ideas should be able to be shared.

You know like all the Marxist bull we hear be spread now. You don't see riots for people trying to ban Marx from college campuses.
Races are protected classes under the law.

Being a nazi dipshit isn't. I

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
David Jaffe is aiming for an invitation to Bill Maher

but all he will get is an invite to whatever niche cryptofash show Colin Moriarty is doing these days.