• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You ever just have to take a step back and think "holy shit WTF even is this!?!" in regards to Smash?

Like so much of this would be viewed as impossible going back. It's just amazing to me to think this started as one guys project during his free time.

I don't know sometimes it almost feels like I take for granted the sheer insanity that Smash Bros. roster has become. I love it so much.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Smash is truly something special. I'm incredibly thankful for this series and all that Sakurai and his team has done for it.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
yea we feel it all the time whenever a new guest character gets in Smash.

Now we gonna feel it two more times next time with Dante and KOS-MOS joining

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Smash Bros really is a love letter to video games through and through.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Smash now seems like something that came from another timeline where everything is fine and happy.

Henchman

Mar 10, 2019
The famous characters Persona and Metal Gear ! But yeah smash is insane with all those crossovers.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Getting Sonic in Brawl soon after Sega went third party is one thing.

Getting Banjo-Kazooie, a character still owned by Microsoft, technically still one of Nintendo's competitors in the console market, is insane.

Shout outs to Phil Spencer and his willingness to work with Nintendo and even bring games like Minecraft and Cuphead to the Switch.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not saying they should add Goku, but can you guys imagine what world will be if that happens?

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
Imagine if they added Master Chief and Crash Bandicoot. All of the previous "mascots" in one game, and it could totally happen.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Getting Sonic in Brawl soon after Sega went third party is one thing.

Getting Banjo-Kazooie, a character still owned by Microsoft, technically still one of Nintendo's competitors in the console market, is insane.

Shout outs to Phil Spencer and his willingness to work with Nintendo and even bring games like Minecraft and Cuphead to the Switch.
Minecraft is pretty much on every console, but yeah, the Cuphead bit is good.

I'm not saying they should add Goku, but can you guys imagine what world will be if that happens?
Goku already got announced, they just changed his name to Hero for some reason. Trunks is one of his pallet swaps as well.

Eliseo

Oct 25, 2017
Smash became so big, it's hard to imagine it all started because Mario kicked Yoshi in the knee.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Mojang was purchased before Minecraft ever hit the Switch. Phil Spencer could have easily prevented it from ever releasing. Thankfully, he didn't because he sees value in having a third party relationship with Nintendo.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's easy to take Smash for granted honestly.

Sakurai makes it look so easy.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's honestly crazy when you think about it.

Granted, Sakurai is far from perfect (see Brawl from a gameplay perspective, Ultimate's lack of women, pretty much any Smash game's netcode from Brawl onwards, Wii U/3DS's UI.....though this was fixed in Ultimate, etc.). But damn can he make a ton of great crossovers happen. Even though Ultimate is 2nd only to Melee in terms of gameplay, Ultimate is my favorite Smash game as a whole package.

Zeenbor

Developer at Run Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, it's great, although what the game really needs is Chrono Trigger.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
I'm trying to figure out how Sakurai gonna top this game for the next one...character-wise it could probably still be easy cause there's still a ton of iconic characters left to add, but gameplay and extras wise....I dunno

Last edited:

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
The weird effect with Smash is that it's the reference for all younger players.

My niece said that there was a cool dragon in Brawl. (She was talking about Ridley.) That led to an ultra-geek demonstration of all things Ridley from NES to Wii.

I showed the Cloud Amiibo to a 27yo work collegue, he said "Yeah, that guy from Smash!" instead of Cloud of FF7. I sent him a text saying "OMG that guy from Smash is finally getting his own game!"

Also, Ryu and Ken fighting in Smash instead of SF2 is also weird.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm trying to figure out how Sakurai gonna top this one...character-wise it could probably still be easy cause there's still a ton of iconic characters left to add, but gameplay and extras wise....I dunno
To be fair, Smash reveal cycles rarely end on a high note. To be more specific, I wouldn't take them topping Banjo for granted.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to figure out how Sakurai gonna top this one...character-wise it could probably still be easy cause there's still a ton of iconic characters left to add, but gameplay and extras wise....I dunno

They should mentally prepare people for more iterative releases

It's not sustainable at this rate to see another Ultimate level sequel and nip the fan meltdowns in the bud in case they need to adjust rosters in the future.

Doomshine

Oct 30, 2017
Somehow we also ended up with a game that has Noctis, Akuma, Negan, Geese Howard and Heihachi.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its insane to me that i own a video game where banjo and kazooie, sonic, Super Mario, Cloud Strife, Solid Snake, Pacman, and Ryu can have a fist fight in Shadow Moses. We truly live in a blessed timeline (for videogames)

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The weird effect with Smash is that it's the reference for all younger players.

My niece said that there was a cool dragon in Brawl. (She was talking about Ridley.) That led to an ultra-geek demonstration of all things Ridley from NES to Wii.

I showed the Cloud Amiibo to a 27yo work collegue, he said "Yeah, that guy from Smash!" instead of Cloud of FF7. I sent him a text saying "OMG that guy from Smash is finally getting his own game!"

Also, Ryu and Ken fighting in Smash instead of SF2 is also weird.
A 27 year old seriously didn't know ff7?

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
To me it feels more like

kl0zoV.gif

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's honestly crazy when you think about it.

Granted, Sakurai is far from perfect (see Brawl from a gameplay perspective, Ultimate's lack of women, pretty much any Smash game's netcode from Brawl onwards, Wii U/3DS's UI.....though this was fixed in Ultimate, etc.). But damn can he make a ton of great crossovers happen. Even though Ultimate is 2nd only to Melee in terms of gameplay, Ultimate is my favorite Smash game as a whole package.
It's way better, but I still hate that "games and more" is a menu category.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If not end, then go on "hiatus"...Sakurai seems to work himself nearly to death each time one of these drops
Not that it will certainly come to it, but I could see Nintendo moving on with Smash without Sakurai if he really wants a break from the series.

It's way better, but I still hate that "games and more" is a menu category.
It at least makes a bit more sense now.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I would explode in joy if they also allowed Ori to go to Switch. It just feels like it would be such a wonderful game to play in handheld mode. I know that was a rumor for a while, but I dunno if that's already been shot down. Anyways, I'm veering off-topic, and I don't wanna be seen as port-begging since I'm gonna buy Ori 2 on Xbox Day 1 :)

Yes, Smash is incredible with how they've managed to get all those characters in one game. I think it's going to be even more of a snowball effect if there are more versions of Smash later on, as it remains as popular or even grows, more third parties will want their characters on there just for the exposure. I sort of wonder if they'll have to turn down requests for third party characters because there will be so many it would take forever for the game to be made, never mind balance changes haha.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Imagine the same characters but in an RPG or even a racing game

I'm pick an RPG for sure I wish the same franchise would evolve

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
My 8 year old self would want a time machine if I said Mario, Sonic, and Cloud were all going to be in the same game.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Not that it will certainly come to it, but I could see Nintendo moving on with Smash without Sakurai if he really wants a break from the series.

It at least makes a bit more sense now.
Egh....honestly unless he's shadowing as an advisor...I just dont know how I'd feel with someone else helming Smash. One of the things I love about Sakurai is his attention to detail in the characters..even little quirks like Simon's victory screen where he's just jumping in place lashing the whip....I just dont see someone else preceding him with that level of nearly neurotic detail

Oct 26, 2017
Also Banjo and Diddy's first crossover since Diddy Kong Racing, plus Banjo and Sonic's first crossover since Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing on 360.

And the first time Banjo and Mario crossed over in a game, so not including those Club Nintendo comics in I think Germany?

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Smash Bros is the greatest crossover ever made, and honestly they make it look easy at this point. Don't think I will ever see something as ambitious as this with so many IP in my lifetime.