• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Servbot24

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
2020 Edition.

Y'all. It's a message board. You don't need to use the thread title to ask permission to talk about something. You can just start talking about it.

Just a small sampling:

Screen-Shot-2020-12-10-at-10-45-35-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2020-12-10-at-10-44-51-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2020-12-10-at-10-45-07-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2020-12-10-at-10-45-44-AM.png

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
This is from a year ago? Haha. I've thought this several times when reading thread titles. Do we have a patient zero of "we need to talk"? Find the source!

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Servbot24 this shit makes me laugh every time I see it in a thread title, like the OPs are trying to stage interventions.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
OP ... I am channelling your spirit right now. The "We need to talk" thing is like a meme here.

It makes sense with something serious, like, "We need to talk about how this community treats black people" or "we need to talk about Era and anti-trans language," like... Yeah, we do *need* to talk about those subjects and that's a good way to broach it. It's kind of a hard subject to bring up and so it makes sense to say "we need to have a talk about it..." as a way to broach the subject.

But.....

Theere is a shiiiiiit load of "We need to talk about jellybeans" or "It's time we talk about elastic waist sweatpants" and what have you, and as an old curmudgeon always eager to complain about how the young people talk, I'd like to say that we don't *need* to talk about these subjects, but it would be delightful to talk about them. So my recommendation for all ya'll thread creators is whenever you have a light hearted topic that you think *needs to be talked about* please rephrase:

We Need to Talk About A Christmas Story

To:

It Would be Delightful to Talk About a Christmas Story

lease add your own creative intros:

It Would Be My Pleasure to Talk About Egg Nog Recipes

In fact, I'm going to lead by example and do an egg nog one RIGHT NOW

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to make that thread for a long time, OP. I fucking can't stand it. I wish i could auto-ignore anyone who ever created a thread with that sentence (except yours).

Jan 11, 2018
It is annoying haha. And amusing, because OP's are projecting their own need to discuss something onto others. "We" don't need to talk about anything. "YOU" do.

Oct 27, 2017
It's extremely annoying but also symptomatic of a larger issue with people internalizing clickbait / outrage engagement language for thread titles because that's how all headlines are written these days. Even though that's one of the core poisons of social media.

You shouldn't even really be copy/pasting mainstream news headlines anymore for thread titles. They're not any better. I know this is, like, work and stuff, but it's better to read all of what you're sharing and come up with your own fair summary in the thread title instead.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
It is one of the dumbest things along with LTTP threads when the thing still has an active OT or came out the same year.

ArtemisLunar

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 13, 2018
I dunno OP, maybe we should TALK about it.
I kinda agree with OP, on a conversational forum putting "talk" on the tittle sounds redundant, but I can understand why some people have used it

Oct 27, 2017
This self important shit (along with click bait thread titles) annoys me, as well. Can't people just state what a thread is about (subject matter based title) without resorting to this overdramatic / manipulative nonsense?

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
"We need to talk about..." titles should be reserved for things that we may ACTUALLY need to talk about. Like the threads about bigotry on the forum, for example.

We don't need to talk about the movie you just saw, or non-social gaming issues (like Epic Game Store exclusivity).

That said, those titles defenitely works on getting me to click lol.

Jovo

Oct 25, 2017
If a thread starts with "We need to talk about" I usually click ignore thread.

The topic is usually something that we definitely do not need to talk about and comes off as pretentious.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Look we didn't talk about Kevin and that blew up in our face so now we need to talk about everything we need to talk about.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't really bother me, but...there are definitely a lot of things we don't really need to talk about that get a "We need to talk about" thread. Like we don't need to talk about the Hulu UI. Civilization will not collapse because we did not talk about the Hulu UI.

I like "Can we talk" better. That's like an invitation to an open discussion. "I care about this thing, can we have a discussion about it?" that's a perfectly appropriate premise for a thread.

"Am I the only one" is always goofy because the answer is always "no".

Oct 27, 2017
It is annoying. Not up there with "Here watch this random 30 minute video I'll provide no information about because like people got time for that shit" annoying, but up there.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
The worst thread titles are "X is the best thing ever/this year/etc." It just ensures the thread devolves to shit with people posting "Nuh uh, X is the best."
And it's always pretty cringey. I usually assume it's a teenager or something that just discovered something they love and can't fathom anything being better. I think my brain would implode if I learned a grown adult was making threads like that.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I have no idea why but every time I see one of those "We need to talk about..." and "It's time we..." thread titles, I get unreasonably offended almost like someone is sitting back in a chair and smugly accusing me of something. I never had a suburban Karen mother but I imagine that reaction is what it feels like 24/7.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
We needed a filter to sort out those "We need to talk...". Instead we got a word counter. Thank you Santa.

What really triggers me are the people who write a thread title in the fashion of: "Something something. Here's what you need to know." It's literally oozing click bait out of every pore. I'm puzzled that this site is so heavily administrated and yet these low-quality thread titles get a free pass.

Oct 30, 2017
it's exactly what a parent begins with when disciplining a child and i don't come to this forum to be treated like a got danged child

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
It's funny that people subconsciously title threads like youtube clickbait Karen vids. I agree, it's bad. But whatever. Thread title structure probably has done this allot over the years.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
We need to talk about how memes have made people creatively bankrupt.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with OP this is annoying
a thread title should be a description not a command
i dont need to do shit im on a video game messageboard mainly talking about children's shows

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
The worst title format is "Can we all agree..." because the respective op wants some validation of their opinion.

The answer is always no.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
What is the best X and why is it Y?
Yeah same shit. This one doesn't even want any discussion at all. Just "please validate me"
Because they usually end with something stupid like

"Can we all agree that you don't produce body odor after not showering for 2 weeks?"

The worst ones for me are when its something that's really subjective. "Can we all agree that x is the best song this year".

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Change it up a little, people. "It is requisite that we converse regarding __________"

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Jesus I thought I was the only one. Seriously, it's gear grinding between this and "Am I the only one" thread titles. There are other less used ones, too, but people need to at least try to start a discussion without the forum equivalent of a breakup meeting.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The "can we all agree" bullshit gets me everytime. Its like playing a game of spot the narcissist

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Many threads with clickbait titles are genuinely filled with thoughtful write ups and good discourse. Unfortunately it still puts me off big time when they do it, so much so that I instantly assume they're low quality OPs before actually opening the clickbait thread to read them.

I also really wish we'd do away with the political news threads that look like their titles are written by a kindergarten bully.

"Big poo poo head whiner in chief signs executive order that literally destroys everything".

Fuck off with that petulant trash.