• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tend to ignore titles that sound like that tbh, nice to see others do too.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Can I complain about something kind of related to OP's justified pet peeve?

Disgusting thread titles lately.

Kids sucking their parents toes, dead chickens crawling off tables, enjoying the smell of farts.

JUST STOP THIS SHIT. PLEASE.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The farts thread doesn't seem to be on the same level as those other examples.

I thought this would be about the President Shitbag etc. titles. Yeah, he's a shitbag but can we save that for the OP and replies so the forum looks less like it's filled with edgy 12 year olds?

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I never enter a "We need to talk" thread except this one. I love "We need X game" threads though.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Yeah, those titles bother me too. I'm not a big fan of "sell me on...." type threads either.
Maybe its the imperative mood that bothers me rather than the content.

snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017
Didnt there use to be a word filter which changed "PSA" in titles to random garbage? Maybe sth like that should be brought back for this

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Instead of phrasing it as "we need to talk about..." It should be written as"I want to talk about..."

Oct 27, 2017
Indulge me in pointing out a pet peeve.

LGFPz5H.jpg

Why do y'all love formatting your threads like this so much? Every other thread begins "So... We need to talk." I feel like you're about to give me a break up monologue when really all you want to talk about is whether Goku can beat Superman.

I mean, if you're creating a thread, then it's implied that there is going to be a topic worth talking about. You don't need to specifically state in every thread title that the thread is going to be used for talking. You may as well add "Please read this thread and then comment regarding its content" to the thread title.

Thus concludes my oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg moment. Carry on.
Hey, I never did that sht.

hurroocane

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I can understand a resentment towards "we need to talk about x" because it implies pressure but "can we talk about x" kinda works for me because it implies a sincere desire to talk about a subject and not just shitpost about it.

And since people sometimes love to fill the first 10+ replies with shitposts I think the phrase has value.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Era, we really need to talk about this post I'm about to make. There are things to say, and we've long since passed the point where everyone should stop what they're doing and listen.

Oct 27, 2017
This happens for a bunch of other threads titles as well.

"Am I the only one" though that one seems to be dying out.

Yeah, this one really annoys me. Like, "Am I the only one who liked Styx: Master of Shadows?". No; you're on a website with an active community in the tens of thousands. Chances are you're not the only one for anything.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
That was the best feature of gaf

What was the best feature of gaf and why was it replacing PSA with random garbage?

The reason why the above is worse is because it's seems to be inviting a discussion but not really.

Instead of phrasing it as "we need to talk about..." It should be written as"I want to talk about..."

If you start a thread, that already implies it's something you want to talk about.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Even that makes no sense. Obviously you want to talk about it if you're making the thread.
I was gonna add it was redundant, but I thought that was self evident. I agree with you, but at least it removes to annoying sense of urgency and entitlement that goes on in the "we need to talk about" titles.
My point is that "we need to talk about" is effectively no different than "I want to talk about" at this point since everyone uses it.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
When you have 50,000 different people all vying for attention on a board that moves at lightspeed more often than not, you're gonna see people resorting to things like this. I can't get too worked up about it, and it's only ever bothersome when it seems to have multiple times a day.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, this one really annoys me. Like, "Am I the only one who liked Styx: Master of Shadows?". No; you're on a website with an active community in the tens of thousands. Chances are you're not the only one for anything.
But they want to feel like special snowflakes like their mommy told them. They've even got the participation trophies to prove they're special.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
This isn't a pet peeve, but when I notice this alert in a thread title I know it's gonna be a good one*: [READ STAFF POST]

and that Epic just moneyhatted another damn game

May 9, 2018
Asking the AI.

Gaming:

We need to talk about the lack of content in Bloodborne

We need to talk about the lack of content in Rocket League

We need to talk about the lack of content in Sonic Rush

We need to talk about FF13's disappointing cast.

We need to talk about the lack of content in Mario Tennis not having a 3DS version

We need to talk about the lack of content in Halo MCC

We need to talk about the online multiplayer aspects of JRPGs.

We need to talk about the online representation in videogames.

We need to talk about EA's dominance in the mobile space

We need to talk about the lack of content in Mario Tennis

Etcetera:

We need to talk about the alt-right

We need to talk about the "You're already dead" trope

We need to talk about our personal heroes in fiction.

We need to talk about the online radicalization of alt-right groups

We need to talk about the ResetEra community

We need to talk about the internet in a positive light.

We need to talk about era 2.0

We need to talk about the dark fantasy subculture

The AI is surprisingly more civil. (although the Etcetera one did "We need to talk about the ResetEra community" two extra times after the one listed).

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I can't stand long thread titles. I've hidden threads just because they're 4 or 5 lines on mobile and pop up all the time.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
It happens because it's the same kind of beginning statement you see on a lot of call out posts on twitter and they know people will read it if their initial statement (the thread title) sounds like that we as a community have to band together and address something even if it's something wholly mundane and unimportant. That being said I don't think the majority of people on here are doing it maliciously, they just see a trend and follow it. Monkey see, monkey do.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
The ones I hate are the ones where they put this huge spoiler for no reason in the title. Seems it happens at least once after a major game release.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just a forum meme like:

"LTTP: XXX"
"Am I the only one..."
"XXX sure is looking good again"
"XXX has quite the fanart following already"
"President Shitbag..."
"Florida Man..."
"What's the best XXX and why is it YYY?"
etc.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm starting to feel it comes with the nature of fucking arguing about things day in, day out, day in, day out.

Then again maybe I'm just projecting because I post more on resetera daily than talk to people face to face

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same thing with the consensus title thing as well.

If this place isn't a hivemind those thread titles sure don't reinforce that

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1000% yes.

Thread titles here get to be some lazy ass baiting garbage.

Sorry ___ fans, but...

Let's settle this: ___ vs. ___

We need to talk about ___

It needs to stop

Edit: WHEN DOES ___ GAME GET BETTER?

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I'm more concerned about thread titles with grammar and spelling so bad that you can't even figure out what the thread is about. Sheesh. Take 5 seconds to proof read your thread title so that it makes sense.
The bigger issue is posters not proofreading their titles before posting.
I thought this was going to be about the titles with fucked up grammar that never get fixed.
Aye, the standard of thread titles (and OPs in general) is fucking diabolical.