• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the conversation literally starts with a drastically more crude version of "heard ya got raped yo" and ends with "yeah but it's all good cuz i'm better now". Come the fuck on.

And I'm not even gonna touch your point B. Cripes.

So, on point B, myself (male) and others (female) have had conversations about how our various traumas (unfortunately, sexual is one of the most common) have had their effects but the process of overcoming them is strengthening, and you won't touch that? Sounds like you're choosing to speak for other people, all I'm saying is that I've felt and heard similar things in real life.

I'm not even defending the scene in the show, it's pointless. But making it out to be something it's not is pointless as well.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
The Hound To Sansa"you've changed little bird none of it would have happened if you left kings landing with me, no little finger, no ramsay, none of it"

Sansa replies "without little finger, and ramsay, and the rest, I would have stayed a little bird all my life"

That doesn't really sound like "The rape made me such a stronger person" it sounds like "Everything I've gone through has striped me of my innocence"

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
My take from the other thread.
Yup, that was mine and my friends takeaway almost to the letter... We definitely hadn't been expecting this conversation to be the big controversy some people are currently treating it as.

Now with that aside, some of you really need to shut the hell up about spoilers. A brief portion of a conversation that happened in the latest episode was spoiled for you. It had no bearing on anything that's going to ruin some aspect of the story for you and it certainly isn't something worth derailing the actual topic at hand over...

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Thread whining and driveby post
There is an official OT. But you're more important than other people so it's okay.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
She wasn't saying abuse made her stronger, but that she learned from her abusers how to manipulate and control abusive people.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Intended or not, "broken in" is some seriously loaded language and if they didn't want to signify Sansa's sexual traumas, they should have used literally any other way to describe her life changing events.

If intended, it's terrible working for the callous use of an awful trope.

If accidental, it's terrible working for not realizing the extra connotation of the phase.
The phrase "broken in" is most definitely referring to Sansa being raped, but right now you're basically criticizing The Hound for being rude, who is a fictional character, and who received a cold and curt response for his condescension to her in that scene that includes references to all the other "life changing events." Newsflash - Littlefinger, to whom she refers, never layed a hand on her. In the end, Sansa rose above his piggish remark and walked away owning everything she has been through. That is what actually happened - not a depiction of some kind of perverse female superhero who eats rape to git strong.

And by the way, people need to start separating characters' behavior from "the show's" point of view/endorsement -- it's not bad writing that The Hound spoke that way to Sansa, it's exactly the kind of boorish, sad sack macho nonsense he always says and his attempt to make himself the solution to the "little bird"s problems was rebuked in a victorious moment for Sansa. I mean... Ugh.

I just can't. I'm out.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Some people here really mad about the title "spoiling" a women character describing rape made her stronger?

jebus, get a fucking grip of priority.. You want to be surprised and engaged about this?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn even if it were a spoiler some things are more important than not spoiling a TV show, and this is definitely a case of that.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
There is an official OT. But you're more important than other people so it's okay.
This isn't a Game of Thrones topic. The trope spans all media and this is just the latest, most visible example. It's worth discussing outside of a show thread where it would get buried under the avalanche of first impressions posts.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In all fairness wouldn't that mean GRRM hates them too? GoT was at its most rapey when it was adapting the books more closely. It got decisively less rapey (and less nudity ridden fwiw) when the show went past the books.

I'm not defending this scene in question from the latest episode but do you see my point? I could make a case that when D&D became the lead creators without books to base on they greatly reduced the amount of rape featured in their show and that's just a statistical fact.

You realize that stuff was added bu the show, right?

Yeah but rape in the books is way worse so I 1/2 see where he's coming from

No it's not. Have you even read the books?

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a Game of Thrones topic. The trope spans all media and this is just the latest, most visible example. It's worth discussing outside of a show thread where it would get buried under the avalanche of first impressions posts.
It's xtremely easy to talk about this topic without even mentioning GoT.

Wombat_Lover

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Some of you should stop watching the show for your own good lol.

It's just not healthy to be this angry over entertainment.

Era is full of people afraid of anything that's a dark topic. Must be the American way of life. Since lots of things are taboo subjects.

Best for those people to watch disney/kids shows about rainbows and unicorns.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Era is full of people afraid of anything that's a dark topic. Must be the American way of life. Since lots of things are taboo subjects.

Best for those people to watch disney/kids shows about rainbows and unicorns.
Ahh yes... Being a mature adult means being accepting of the idea that the writers thought it would be a good idea to have one of the female leads in their show say that she's glad she was raped because it made her stronger.

Must be the American way of life to look down on sexism. How awful.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's wasn't rape, it was getting through hardships.

There's a lot to criticize on the show and that scene was poorly written but I'm pretty sure that was far from what they were trying to say.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I don't even think about the rape.. I think that she meant it as she won pretty much against characters like Littlefinger and Ramsay, against characters that most people who were with them or against them lost or died.. I don't think it should meant that her being raped by Ramsay specifically made her stronger - atleast that's the way I saw that scene and her words.. that she lived and is still alive after being with such characters when those same characters believed are smarter, stronger than her are dead

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So many people grasping at straws. Varys doesn't think women can't rule. He supported Daenery's rule for how long now? He states that Westeros' lords would be more accepting of a male ruler. It fits with the logic of the world where men are socially superior to women, it's built off how men were superior throughout human history. Varys supports those who protect the realm regardless of sex.

Varys says he does. But he supported the Baratheons and the Lannisters at the beginning of the show...

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Varys says he does. But he supported the Baratheons and the Lannisters at the beginning of the show...
Tyrion brought it up how many Kings Varys has served. He changes allegiance based on who he thinks will cause less harm to ordinary people. He even talked to Ned about telling Rob to surrender for the good of the relm to avoid war.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This episode was super sexist. You have Brienne craving the cock and almost degrading herself in the process. This scene. Varys saying how women are unqualified to rule.

You can read it like that, but I would say that is wrong:

1) Brienne craving cock... well it was Jamie who did the first move, so Jamie was craving?
2) This scene has been handled already
3) I mean, in the context of the show he is right that the Lords of Westeros will serve a male instead of a woman, but he did support Danerys all the way untill now where he think she is going mad

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I didnt even know it was a common trope. The only other shows that I can think of that had it was The Sopranos and The Shield. I think it is safe to say the OP only wants to talk about Sansa, not the actual trope.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
I worry about you OP if that is what you took away from the scene. Also, nice spoilers in the tread title.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
D&D just aren't good writers. How much evidence do people need. I didn't find the line terribly offensive, I would think that being through a series of traumatic events would in fact force you to grow up quickly. But I also get how bad the conversation was handled in such a passing/casual fashion. And there was an implication of being better off for it.

But again these guys aren't good. They never were. Anything not from the book or veering away from the books for the most part has been....not great to be nice about it.

And lol at the spoiler complaining.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
The exchange was mostly fine until the last line, really. I see the Hound being a fucking prick and Sansa intimidating him by referencing what happened to the last prick who messed with her, the one he seems to be using to get under her skin.

But then the last line doesn't stick the landing. It doesn't intimidate him really. It also doesn't acknowledge that her abuse already started with Joffrey. That's the odd thing. The show doesn't seem to acknowledge much that she was already fucked over psychologically an insane amount in King's Landing. That was a lot of the issue with the Ramsey rape scene. Sansa's arc had already started taking her from being a "little bird" and they backtracked it to get her raped so she could develop more. I think that's why the exchange here sours people. It's basically the writers reinforcing their opinion that they were right to include the rape.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they were necessarily saying that being raped made her stronger. I think they were saying her exposure to the horrors of the real world made her stronger than if she were married off as some Lord's lady.

At least, that's how I took it.

But she was already exposed to horrors of the real world and almost all horrors she's had were literally from being married off as some Lord's Lady.

TonyMartial11

Banned
Mar 5, 2019
Clutching at straws.
Isnt just a continuation of the shows theme on destiny.
Just like Bran telling Theon...if he hadn't done what he done he wouldnt be where he is now.
Sansa was continuing that on.

Not getting these reactions at all.

Oct 27, 2017
The implication that she's happy she didn't escape with Sandor because going through those horrors made her a better person is horrible writing.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I meant a non-Joffrey Lord. A normal Lord, probably somewhere in the north.

This whole topic just seems like looking for outrage where there is none.

The original rape episode was one of the biggest controversies in the show. It was one of the lowest rated episodes of the entire run because of that outrage. Of course the writers referencing that so poorly will garner outrage again.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they were necessarily saying that being raped made her stronger. I think they were saying her exposure to the horrors of the real world made her stronger than if she were married off as some Lord's lady.

That's how I interpreted it as well.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yea, I was watching the scene and saying to myself.

"You know, it would be really, really bad if Sansa turns around and says getting raped and used for the last five years of her life made her stronger.... oh god"

D&D are bad writers

I understood the intention, but it doesn't make it bad writing where you know what she is going to say and still cringe when the line is dropped.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017

That's how we took it as well and I watched with my wife, my sister and others

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
I love how people are finally starting to realize just how much of GoT sucks and how lame Benioff and Weiss are as writers. It seems the honeymoon period with this show is finally over lol.

You "love" it?

What's your point, that you can say 'I told you so' or something? The smugness some people here have in respect to this show is mind blowing.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just woke up and watched up up to that point and said "no don't do this you stupid fucks" and then they did.

Joanna Robinson is going to go ballistic over this.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The phrase "broken in" is most definitely referring to Sansa being raped, but right now you're basically criticizing The Hound for being rude, who is a fictional character, and who received a cold and curt response for his condescension to her in that scene that includes references to all the other "life changing events." Newsflash - Littlefinger, to whom she refers, never layed a hand on her. In the end, Sansa rose above his piggish remark and walked away owning everything she has been through. That is what actually happened - not a depiction of some kind of perverse female superhero who eats rape to git strong.

And by the way, people need to start separating characters' behavior from "the show's" point of view/endorsement -- it's not bad writing that The Hound spoke that way to Sansa, it's exactly the kind of boorish, sad sack macho nonsense he always says and his attempt to make himself the solution to the "little bird"s problems was rebuked in a victorious moment for Sansa. I mean... Ugh.

I just can't. I'm out.
Here's the thing. The character exists and talks only because the show lets him. These are choices the show runners made, which is why, if they handle it badly, it comes back to them.
A character can be rude about another's rape, but then you have to ask "why? What is the purpose of this? Did it have to happen in this context? Why about rape, specifically? Hell, why even bother to put these characters together if that's all that you could think to do?"

(I feel like I shouldn't have to mention I'm in a PhD program studying creative writing and literature, but maybe I do? We talk about these concerns all the time)

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Have you been to the OT? It's nearly impossible to stay on any one singular topic with how fast those threads move. Go take a look instead thread whining here.
I understand. Not yet since i haven't seen the latest episode yet. I will when i've seen it. But this topic could have easily had a different title and a spoiler warning, since some people here reply to the topic with spoilers. Also, the replies would have been more ON TOPIC. So it's a lose-lose topic now.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

My take as well. Knee jerk internet reactions are the worst.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
but this writing were a woman was "simply foolish and then one day she got raped and now she truly understands the world" It is sexist and hurtful bs.

But thats not what was written. You quoted what was actually written and then wrote your own version which is completely different. Its a bizzare read on the scene.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This entire show is rapidly spiraling into a clusterfuck of horribly sexist and racist tropes. Not just Sansa, but really all the female characters.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If D&D hate women, what can we then say about GRRM? Because they temper the source material a lot, on this aspect.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's the thing. The character exists and talks only because the show lets him. These are choices the show runners made, which is why, if they handle it badly, it comes back to them.
A character can be rude about another's rape, but then you have to ask "why? What is the purpose of this? Did it have to happen in this context? Why about rape, specifically? Hell, why even bother to put these characters together if that's all that you could think to do?"

(I feel like I shouldn't have to mention I'm in a PhD program studying creative writing and literature, but maybe I do? We talk about these concerns all the time)

Unfortunately a lot of people explain away bad writing in the way the guy you responded to did, especially if they like or are invested in the story.

Every character and detail in writing serves some purpose (or should anyways), so when someone puts something in just to do it or for poor reasons, they should expect criticism for it.