• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you! Appreciate the responses.

As for the bolded: Understood, and I see that happen quite often. I myself have been accused of JAQing off (I didn't even know what that was, either) in another thread regarding these issues. I was met with hostility and wasn't really sure why, but I guess answering the same question over and over again would grow tiresome. Again, thanks for the insight.
"JAQ" is short for "Just Asking Questions". It refers to when alt right types ask a series of simple questions easily answered by Google in order to frustrate and derail the conversation. When they get called out for it, they usually respond with "these dumb liberals/lefties are getting so mad at me when I'm Just Asking Questions" to their friends or sometimes in the thread itself. It's possible your questions were seen an disingenuous or lazy

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do notice that there is a belief that most people should be aware of and anytime someone asks a question it is immediately treated as bad faith. I don't think that's fair for someone who genuinely wants to understand/help.

I can promise you that if you ask a question in good faith, it will be treated with good faith. People answer questions in these threads all the time, but the way questions are framed can affect how they're responded to.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
To cancel someone means going beyond that to a level of censorship and even harassment.
Cancelling someone, and "Cancel Culture" by extent, is a co-opted term taken from the slang "cancelled" which is when someone does some stupid shit so you stop giving them attention. Like most slang, it got taken and warped by white people into something way different than it was originally.

Cancel Culture does not exist. The people who keep complaining about it are people who are likely to do stupid shit that would get people to drop them like a bad habit.

Oct 26, 2017
Cancelling someone, and "Cancel Culture" by extent, is a co-opted term taken from the slang "cancelled" which is when someone does some stupid shit so you stop giving them attention. Like most slang, it got taken and warped by white people into something way different than it was originally.

Cancel Culture does not exist. The people who keep complaining about it are people who are likely to do stupid shit that would get people to drop them like a bad habit.
I'm not saying it does exist as a culture. But "cancelling" a person isn't a boycott in the sense of a product, or a simple case of the silent treatment. It's an action when applied to a person has now become a type of justified harassment. People will bristle at that because it's a negative thing applied to an action they feel justified in taking but I understand the sentiment: the need for righteous vengeance against someone who offends you to your core.

But I just don't see anything changing. Maybe not being seen as often sure, but fundamentally changing? I remain dubious on that given that a person's ideological point of view typically hardens when attacked in that manner.

The OP's call for understanding is a good one but is hard to expect given people are emotional and irrational beings. We can ban people on this forum when someone doesn't align with those principles but applying that to the real world is a tougher thing. Especially as people don't simply go away as we'd like.

Of course they haven't. They don't seemed to be willing to get involved beyond a few slap on the wrist bannings.
What power do they honestly have to enforce what you want beyond a ban? You have the power to report offending content to them and you can ignore threads and users.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will say, I've read through some of the threads and am bothered by a lot of the out and out dismissals by some of the community here in regards to Trans issues. That's disappointing. If an LGBT person finds something offensive, it shouldn't be "it's just a joke". If you feel that way, stay out of the thread.

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
I'm not saying it does exist as a culture. But "cancelling" a person isn't a boycott in the sense of a product, or a simple case of the silent treatment. It's an action when applied to a person has now become a type of justified harassment. People will bristle at that because it's a negative thing applied to an action they feel justified in taking but I understand the sentiment: the need for righteous vengeance against someone who offends you to your core.

But I just don't see anything changing. Maybe not being seen as often sure, but fundamentally changing? I remain dubious on that given that a person's ideological point of view typically hardens when attacked in that manner.

The OP's call for understanding is a good one but is hard to expect given people are emotional and irrational beings. We can ban people on this forum when someone doesn't align with those principles but applying that to the real world is a tougher thing. Especially as people don't simply go away as we'd like.

What power do they honestly have to enforce what you want beyond a ban? You have the power to report offending content to them and you can ignore threads and users.
Idk sticky this thread like we've requested several times already.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
No. And now we have the South Park thread where people are once again dismissing transphobia, telling us we're wrong and in one asshole's case LITERALLY ADMITTING TO MOCKING US FOR LAUGHS.

I'm getting really close to "fuck this place, I'm out" status.
Geez how did South Park punch down and call it equal opportunity jokes this time?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I feel like the staff should make some kind of announcement or notification/reminder that dismissing trans concerns is a very serious offense and unwelcome behavior. And that bans will, from this point forward, be more severe.

Some sort of offering of support would be an improvement.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Gonna post your bingo here cause it's really funny...and also extremely depressing

dnebmj5n.png
Needs a "Ricky Gervais is funny, can't wait" added in there too.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

They could actually say something to address the problem for one. They could not ban people for being hostile towards transphobes. They could sticky threads on trans issues. They could crack down harder on transphobic posts, because A LOT slip through the cracks. They could, at the bare minimum, at least come in and say "We're listening."

What do you even mean "what could they do." What do you mean "what power do they have?" They are the sources of power and authority on this forum.

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
I feel like the staff should make some kind of announcement or notification/reminder that dismissing trans concerns is a very serious offense and unwelcome behavior. And that bans will, from this point forward, be more severe.

Some sort of offering of support would be an improvement.
I think their silence on the matter is saying a lot more than any announcement would tbh.

Oct 26, 2017
They could actually say something to address the problem for one. They could not ban people for being hostile towards transphobes. They could sticky threads on trans issues. They could crack down harder on transphobic posts, because A LOT slip through the cracks. They could, at the bare minimum, at least come in and say "We're listening."

What do you even mean "what could they do." What do you mean "what power do they have?" They are the sources of power and authority on this forum.
They have tools that enable them to act on that power. They aren't omnipotent and can't police every single reply or thread before you see it. The reporting tools are likely there for that specific reason.

I myself have ignored threads because they irritate me, offend me, or just annoy. Sometimes I do it because I know I'll get so damn angry that I'll say something ban-worthy.

Would you prefer a filter that prevents certain keywords from being included in posts? I don't even know why I'm asking given I'm in no position to enable that.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I can promise you that if you ask a question in good faith, it will be treated with good faith. People answer questions in these threads all the time, but the way questions are framed can affect how they're responded to.

For me the big tell on whether or someone is being genuine is whether or not they're trying to express their concerns or if they're hedging their commentary with "well, yes, but what about [these other people who express bigoted opinions but somehow aren't bigoted themselves]" because this is always a harbinger of them spewing some outright gross shit uncritically.

Last time I witnessed that happening the poster in question wound up linking some Blaire White shit in their next post and it was fucking obvious what they were playing at. Funnily enough the other supposedly good-natured curious people concurring with that poster stopped posting there, which is definitely itself a tell.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if I agree with everything you wrote OP. Being open to hear people is different from accepting all ideas without critical thought.
On Gaf I remember a thread where trans people were calling out cis people for bigotry and transphobia because some of them didn't see pre-op trans as a potential sexual partner. Don't even know if it's a big thing anymore but just an example that sometimes it's important to bring a different perspective especially over things that in the end affects everyone's life.
I will always position myself as an ally about the things I agree. The thing I don't, I promise to do the homework not posting some "hot takes" without a deep reflection about the matter.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56909

Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater
So the Hillary thread got bumped again and unnnnghhh I'm getting tired of the takes some people have been having lately on trans issues. Admins need to do something about it I'm also about ready to just start ignoring any trans related thread aside from the trans hangout since its still a problem. (And I'm transitioning so like it sucks). It's not like people are replying to me or anything it's just that there are so many people that are getting seriously reactionary about trans people aside from a thread I made recently asking for help in a situation with my work(folks in that thread were super helpful and awesome!).

OP
OP
Xaszatm

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the Hillary thread got bumped again and unnnnghhh I'm getting tired of the takes some people have been having lately on trans issues. Admins need to do something about it I'm also about ready to just start ignoring any trans related thread aside from the trans hangout since its still a problem. (And I'm transitioning so like it sucks). It's not like people are replying to me or anything it's just that there are so many people that are getting seriously reactionary about trans people aside from a thread I made recently asking for help in a situation with my work(folks in that thread were super helpful and awesome!).

It's exhausting to go to any thread relating to trans folk issues yeah.

Hope your transitioning goes well btw!

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
i fell y'alls pain. The same thing happens in racism threads. Good luck on getting this resolved to your satisfaction.

edit: Is "y'all, y'alls" trans friendly?

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, to be honest I used to be somewhat understanding of why they lock those threads as they often get derailed but more and more it feels a bit disappointing. Could you imagine a situation where Twitter didn't allow people to voice discomfort with Twitter on it's platform in any capacity, or Reddit, or Facebook, or any other place?

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, to be honest I used to be somewhat understanding of why they lock those threads as they often get derailed but more and more it feels a bit disappointing. Could you imagine a situation where Twitter didn't allow people to voice discomfort with Twitter on it's platform in any capacity, or Reddit, or Facebook, or any other place?

The thing is, it wasn't even just voicing discomfort. It was a genuine question that arose because of how silent they've been in this thread. Didn't even get a reason for the threadlock, and I'm assuming that's because no reason that they could give would look good, which makes it all the more disappointing. Gonna keep seeing what I can do to get more attention on this thread from people in a position to actually do something about this community's issues. =/

Edit: Is there a list of admins somewhere? I'd be happy to PM them all in a big group PM or go to them individually. I'm sure a lot of people have already tried, but the worst case scenario is that I just waste a little bit of time and energy.

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ah yes, criticism gets locked almost immediately whereas threads that are filled with transphobic posts, both casually and explicitly so, and they don't do anything

Or they have to be locked so they can catch up on the reports. I don't know. They seem like they can respond to things and shut them down pretty fast when they want to.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Ah yes, criticism gets locked almost immediately whereas threads that are filled with transphobic posts, both casually and explicitly so, and they don't do anything
As if you've got an issue with ERA, please take it up in private and not in a feedback subforum which this site desperately needs as almost nobody in this community can talk to anyone about any issues we have with the site because it gets hush hush. I understand the need for keeping a clean slate but come on.

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hello,

I'm CC'ing in B-Dubs and Hecht, but I hope this message reaches all active admins because this is a widespread issue that directly concerns the entirety of Era's administration team.

I just posted this thread (https://www.resetera.com/threads/wh...-admins-on-trans-topics.153137/#post-26468006) which was immediately locked. In it, I tried to ask for some accountability and acknowledgement about the way trans issues and threads have been handled. It was inspired by this thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/we...ponding-to-trans-related-issues.151194/page-4

In that 2nd thread I linked, numerous users, many of whom are trans, have expressed concern and dismay for the state of trans discussions on this forum. Furthermore, they have repeatedly asked for something to be done and given suggestions. Barring that, the least many folks have asked for is some acknowledgement, visibility, and communication, of which they have received none.

I want to re-iterate the question from my thread: Where is the communication at? Your silence so far has been at best demoralizing, and at worst harmful because it emboldens transphobes on this very forum to act out with even more aggression, and makes an already marginalized group feel even more invisible. Please, PLEASE do something to communicate with them. Jump into the thread, sticky it, make a post of your own, start a discussion. Say something, please. Let them know you at least hear their concerns and are doing something to make their lives just a little easier. That's all that is being asked.

The message I sent to B-Dubs and Hecht. I'll try another pair of admins tomorrow and follow-up with them if nobody hears anything back tomorrow. You can only CC two people at a time in private conversations apparently.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
There's a mod post in the communication thread now that mentions guidelines they've come up with so hopefully they'll make an announcement thread for those rather than just keep them in there. Though the guidelines towards complaints towards the mods feels a tad heavy handed in my opinion.

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): History of hostility towards members, posting private messages with other users as a personal attack
Someone wasted no time jumping into my DMs with some nonsense. Link because I can't post the image for some reason?
mod edit: removed link with private correspondence

Edit: The update post in my thread, in which I had already linked to this thread, points at this thread. Wow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
And that's what I was trying to say when we had a back and forth last time in this thread. I don't WANT to avoid Trans related threads as it is an issue that matters and affects me personally, and I have even more than once tried to educate people that were not JAQing off, but for my own mental health I have just had to ignore the majority of threads, especially since this is my "talk about games and comics and other escapist media while trying to avoid real life" place and I would rather not completely ruin it.

Latest thing getting to me is the idea this is all new when I am 42 and knew myself at about 5-6 and learned it wasn't just me and what transgender was when there was a proposed bathroom bill here in MA in the EIGHTYS, but no, all new.

That or the person saying we get to offended and implying it's cis users leaving the board because of how trans users act and treat them instead of the other way around. Which as someone who keeps track of who is who for every Exselsior or Ket-Kat who lead the front lines and have a presence you cannot ignore there are continuously 2-3 posters every time you just stop seeing after the latest trans issue thread shitshow.

It's also been bothering me as of late as someone who pays attention to the welcome new users thread with a larger than normal proportion of new trans users and I really hope their initial activity/impression as a board as a whole isnt in one of these threads because I don't want to see them all leave as soon as they have joined.

Trans issues guidelines

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Staff have been discussing this internally over the last week or so, with trans staff members leading that discussion and consulting on the specifics.

We've so far prepared the following guidelines for threads on trans issues:

Official Staff Communication
Dismissing the concerns of trans people as outrage or cancel culture (or words to that effect) is belittling and demonstrates a disregard for the issues that affect them. If you can't treat the matter with respect it will be regarded as transphobic trolling and you will be moderated accordingly. We encourage dialogue and learning opportunities that are initiated in good faith, but this requires listening to our trans members rather than shouting them down.

Regarding pronouns: It is not up to you to choose whether or not to respect a trans person's preferred pronouns. We are not interested in allowing any exceptions to this, and misgendering will always result in a severe infraction against the offender's account.

Trans people are individuals: Some trans users will be less affected or less bothered by certain issues than others. Disagreements must remain civil and not result in hostility. Please respect that trans people are individuals with different points of view and do not attempt to police those who do not agree with you. Posts that espouse or excuse bigotry, however, will always result in bans regardless of the author.

Accusations that the ResetEra staff do not care about trans issues will not be tolerated: We have several trans members of staff who are consulted on both site policy and individual reports. All of us are volunteers who contribute our time when we are able, and it will sometimes take time for us to get to a report that needs our attention, especially when there are a lot of reports in the queue. Similarly, just because a moderator has posted in a thread does not necessarily mean that they have read every post in it; if you would like to call attention to a post that you feel violates our guidelines, please use the report system.

Claiming that our staff don't care, or attacking us for doing our jobs, is personally hurtful and makes us less likely to want to donate our time. In the interest of protecting the mental well-being of our volunteers, such posts will receive bans as steep as necessary until they stop. Feedback is always welcome when presented politely and through appropriate channels. You can use the contact form at the bottom of the site or reach out to the Moderator Captains. Thank you for your understanding.

As always the best way to receive responses to moderation questions and concerns is via the contact form at the bottom of the site or by reaching out to the mod captains directly.

The full staff roster can always be found here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/active-staff-roster.7164/

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Though the guidelines towards complaints towards the mods feels a tad heavy handed in my opinion.
Many of our mods, including trans ones, have been stressing out over the past few days. Mods are all volunteers, they're all human beings who deserve respect. Please try to understand that.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Many of our mods, including trans ones, have been stressing out over the past few days. Mods are all volunteers, they're all human beings who deserve respect. Please try to understand that.
I do understand, its more just the idea that a blanket statement about the mods not caring resulting in a ban seems a tad harsh. If its targeted at a specific mod I could understand such a harsh punishment, but if no specific mod is targetted or alluded to, then personally I feel its heavy handed.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Being an admin or a moderator for this site can be a thankless, time consuming volunteering effort. It wears you down over time. I'd always encourage people to remember that. At the end of the day, the staff is on your side, they're just volunteers constrained by time and energy.

Anyways, as a former admin and transgender person myself, feel free to ask me questions (either or PM) , and I'll do my best to answer them. I like to think I've got unique context and perspective into how such things were handled historically.

I think Xas has the right of it with regards to cancel culture, and I'll say that this problem is more a problem with the ResetEra community in general than anything else.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Of course. Though close to half of that statement is about the moderation team and not trans people on the forum in general.

This feeling didn't come out of nowhere either and only exploded off the back of months of growing sentiment. I can speak personally to that frustration and having someone come in to tell trans people they're being too sensitive over trans issues receive a warning didn't feel like it was hitting the bar necessary to curb that trend (or wider sense of one at least). I think almost everyone here would have hoped that the above message would have been put forward without the growing unease bubbling as it has.

It's a difficult situation as I've been vocal of before. I get on well with a number of the mods individually but in this recent case it felt like the moderation (as an action, not a group of people) was imbalanced in how it applied itself. It's not good to be expected to express such a concern solely individually and not discuss something so apparent among ourselves.

In as much as we're asked to be empathetic toward the staff, that should also extend to the members of the forum who have been dismissed and mocked repeatedly in nearly every recent thread on trans issues. That context has to be factored into how people are being vocal in their discontent and cannot be purely viewed as people attacking the moderation. It is incredibly frustrating to spend time writing paragraphs to educate to only have the same troll response the next page and that just be how things go. Likewise I am sure there are equal frustrations from the part of moderators, I'm sure of it having been one and above on other large forums.

There's a line between the two that's held in check by those sides. More active moderation results in the community feeling protected. That results in more tolerance on when things aren't necessarily picked up as fast and generally the two sides are more agreeable. I think the recent staff actions in threads have been really, really positive and I'll take the time to apologise from my side for any hurt that may have been taken from my posts.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Being an admin or a moderator for this site can be a thankless, time consuming volunteering effort. It wears you down over time. I'd always encourage people to remember that. At the end of the day, the staff is on your side, they're just volunteers constrained by time and energy.

Anyways, as a former admin and transgender person myself, feel free to ask me questions (either or PM) , and I'll do my best to answer them. I like to think I've got unique context and perspective into how such things were handled historically.

I think Xas has the right of it with regards to cancel culture, and I'll say that this problem is more a problem with the ResetEra community in general than anything else.
I don't have much to say besides hey, and that every time I see your avatar I wish I had whatever top they're wearing.
I lowkey dread the day you change from it.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Jeopardizing a safe space intended for minority staff members
Dismissing the concerns of trans people as outrage or cancel culture (or words to that effect) is belittling and demonstrates a disregard for the issues that affect them. If you can't treat the matter with respect it will be regarded as transphobic trolling and you will be moderated accordingly. We encourage dialogue and learning opportunities that are initiated in good faith, but this requires listening to our trans members rather than shouting them down.

Regarding pronouns: It is not up to you to choose whether or not to respect a trans person's preferred pronouns. We are not interested in allowing any exceptions to this, and misgendering will always result in a severe infraction against the offender's account.

Trans people are individuals: Some trans users will be less affected or less bothered by certain issues than others. Disagreements must remain civil and not result in hostility. Please respect that trans people are individuals with different points of view and do not attempt to police those who do not agree with you. Posts that espouse or excuse bigotry, however, will always result in bans regardless of the author.

Accusations that the ResetEra staff do not care about trans issues will not be tolerated: We have several trans members of staff who are consulted on both site policy and individual reports. All of us are volunteers who contribute our time when we are able, and it will sometimes take time for us to get to a report that needs our attention, especially when there are a lot of reports in the queue. Similarly, just because a moderator has posted in a thread does not necessarily mean that they have read every post in it; if you would like to call attention to a post that you feel violates our guidelines, please use the report system.

Claiming that our staff don't care, or attacking us for doing our jobs, is personally hurtful and makes us less likely to want to donate our time. In the interest of protecting the mental well-being of our volunteers, such posts will receive bans as steep as necessary until they stop. Feedback is always welcome when presented politely and through appropriate channels. You can use the contact form at the bottom of the site or reach out to the Moderator Captains. Thank you for your understanding.

The first part is a good first step as it is actually addressing an issue that has been a long running issue on this site and online in general. Outrage culture, left eating itself, woke culture, and bad faith arguing are all used incorrectly by people and used primarily as a way to dismiss people as not being genuine so that they don't have to actually entertain that they could be wrong. It's incredibly similar to the arguments that people have used in the past that accuse people of virtue signalling which has been actioned quite a bit, which is why it was frustrating to see things regress on this front.

The issue that exists within the pronoun section is the implications that doing something like that carries if it's not explicitly said. People who willfully misgender trans people are telling us that they don't really see trans people as the gender that we are, that we aren't valid. When someone does this explicitly for all trans people, that is abundantly clear. However, there are times where someone will see a trans person doing something criminal and they'll start to fall back into using the wrong pronouns. This shows that they don't see us as valid as much as they see our identities as a courtesy or a polite gesture that can be taken back when needed. We have been told in the past that people who do not see trans women as women, trans men as men, or trans people in general as valid will be perma'd instantly when they reveal this, and I think that willful misgendering should fall into that category as well.

And you're right that trans people are individuals, but you sort of start to counteract that with your very next part. Staff members and regular members are not treated the same way, and it's always been apparent to everyone who posts on this forum to the point that it's a running joke in a lot of circles here. I'm not talking about who makes decisions on reports, but the way that hostility is treated as well as the way that bigotry is actioned. If someone insults another member, they'll get a warning or at most a day ban if they don't have a history. But, if someone comes after the moderation or express frustration they'll more than likely get 5 days to a week at minimum. I don't think that you all should be facing harassment of any kind, but this is one of the easily verifiable things on the site that people have seen.

The way that bigotry is handled by people on Staff is also a bit strange. There was that one transphobic post by a moderator that when posted by anyone else would have been a month ban, but in this case, they were just talked to and allowed to stay on the team. When evidence was presented of how they had said these things throughout their time on GAF before this, it was dismissed and considered resolved. There are also chats that have been shown to people about a moderator on the staff talking in the discord about how Asexuals should not be a part of the LGBT+ community and instead of any challenging or talking through, was essentially told that people could see where they were coming from, to not feel bad, and then dropped.

These things are always going to be treated differently because these people that are on the team are more easily reached, more easily talked to than the people on the forum, but these double standards that people see on top of the regressions that have happened in some topics are going to frustrate people. Of course you guys care about the site, but you often seem to be under the impression that you're the only ones who do and the rest of us are just trying to stick it to you instead of doing what we can from our own end. The users of this site are people too, and you can't expect us to take just as much abuse as you when we have no ways of pushing back against it.

It's not that you all aren't open to listening or feedback, so much as the opinions on people of staff are typically held higher than the rest. Which is somewhat understandable as you're able to have longer and more in-depth conversations as you're in a discord together, but is part of the issue I have with this "Trans people are individuals" line. I get what your point is. There are threads where people are upset about an issue going on and telling someone that they don't care about trans issues without knowing the first thing about the person they're talking to. That isn't good, and that should be taken care of, but when we're able to recognize that trans people are going to differ on some of these minute topics it can't all come down to the weight of whichever trans mod is online at that particular moment to make the call every time. Because I'm dating someone who was on the mod team for almost 2 years and had a lot of conversations with you all, I know that it's rare for more than one trans mod to be around and tackling reports. And I think you all need to be more open to the idea that people aren't reporting what they see as bigotry for no reason.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks to the staff for coming with something, hopefully it helps some.

And thanks SweetNicole for chiming in, your perspective is always nice to hear since you may not be staff anymore you were an admin and some people do overlook that staff since the beginning does have trans people and it is a thankless job no one can do perfect, as ticked as this stuff makes me I have always tried to point out there are trans mods and modding isn't always easy (I was actually on the mod staff of one of the biggest game sites years ago and was let go over my disagreement over how certain rules seemed to apply different to different people instead of a blanket standard so I do know more than most that moderators are not a monolith or always on the same page one way or the other) so I never try to lay blame like that.

In fact even though I have been negative of late on the subject even in this thread at the end of the day for all the problems I have with it on era it's still the safest place for me on the internet for this kind of forum and the only one I actively feel comfortable discussing my identity, so it's not all a horror show.

Deleted member 56909

Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater
Thankyou guys for working out the specifics on this issue and I'm greatful that things are being worked on. It sucks that it's taking a huge mental toll on you guys and I get it since managing a community this large must be a huge nightmare.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
All of us are volunteers who contribute our time when we are able, and it will sometimes take time for us to get to a report that needs our attention, especially when there are a lot of reports in the queue. Similarly, just because a moderator has posted in a thread does not necessarily mean that they have read every post in it; if you would like to call attention to a post that you feel violates our guidelines, please use the report system.
this part in particular seems to get forgotten pretty often, speaking from personal experience

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Thankyou guys for working out the specifics on this issue and I'm greatful that things are being worked on. It sucks that it's taking a huge mental toll on you guys and I get it since managing a community this large must be a huge nightmare.

We love the forum and want it to be a safe space. It gets very stressful, but it's worth it. This matters a lot to me, since I'm genderfluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.