• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't these cards the reason Kakuna had arms?

Bandai_Kakuna_card.jpg

kakuna.png
Pocket Monsters Blue launched in October 1996, though, and these cards are from '97.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
Early Pokémon art is the coolest stuff. You get a much more interesting and insightful look into how these creatures behave and fit into their ecosystems. I still love Pokémon but I don't think you really get that anymore. Not as much, anyway.
Nah, even back in gen V which I loathe, something like how Excadrill drills up in motion is amazing.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Wow. Thank you for posting these. I didn't even know they existed. Ken Sugimori is so damn good. I love the early unrefined Pokemon art and this is like finding a buried treasure box full of it.

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
I think that these pieces of art depict Pokemon as actual living beings in their world. What they do to survive. They hunt each other. Just like our own. Our world isn't pretty when it comes to live but it is fascinating. And I feel Pokemon has moved away from that sadly. That harsher reality that Pokemon took upon in it's earlier lifetime is gone for a more ideal world where Pokemon are nicer to not only humans but with themselves as well, losing some personality in the process.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I saw these posted in an Imgur album a few years ago. I thought they were cool, but I didn't know anything about them other than they had early Pokémon art by Sugimori on them.

To me the most horrifying one is Parasect's Spore. Imagining a bunch of mushrooms popping up on my skin is very unpleasant.
Bandai_Parasect_card.jpg

Aren't these cards the reason Kakuna had arms?

Bandai_Kakuna_card.jpg

kakuna.png
I wish they hadn't taken away Kakuna's claws. I liked them.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The art of Golem and Koffing using Explosion is kinda nice, because it shows the face/limbs remain intact, suggesting those pieces can reassemble, pulling together the shrapnel back into its original form.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
I think that these pieces of art depict Pokemon as actual living beings in their world. What they do to survive. They hunt each other. Just like our own. Our world isn't pretty when it comes to live but it is fascinating. And I feel Pokemon has moved away from that sadly. That harsher reality that Pokemon took upon in it's earlier lifetime is gone for a more ideal world where Pokemon are nicer to not only humans but with themselves as well, losing some personality in the process.
I hope you never play SM or you may break out of this false narrative.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This stuffs amazing. Man, early Pokémon was just so damn cool. I wish it would of continued like this instead of the watered down kid friendly take we have these days.
Wing Attack was supposed to throw feathers? Wowa. (I haven't played anything after B/W so excuse me if they do that in current 3D animations)
Nidoqueen Poison Sting is some shit.

Aggressive as shit Clefairy is my favorite though.
Bandai_Clefairy_card.jpg

And you BETTER DON'T PULL THAT AGAIN
Bandai_Clefable_card.jpg

I feel like these have good meme potential.

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Omg the art is amazing on these. I wish such a thing would exist where I live. I'd have a ball collecting cards with cool art like that out of vending machines, wallet be damned.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love the more "mature" take on them. I know we're long past it but it's fun to imagine.

It's still there.

Again it's still there, Gen 7 Pokédex data pretty much highlight the harsher side of Pokémon, especially when it comes to ones that have Mega forms as its all negative.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love this one:
Bandai_Evolved_Starters_card.jpg

Make Pokemon Switch a Kanto game and make this the cover. Pokemon Indigo!!

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
These are awesome, thanks for sharing. I love the one of Kingler bashing Ditto into the ground XD

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The world of Pokemon has always been quite violent. Makes me wish there'd be a time we get an edgy Pokemon game, kinda like level5 is doing with Yokai Watch 4.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Early Pokémon art is the coolest stuff. You get a much more interesting and insightful look into how these creatures behave and fit into their ecosystems. I still love Pokémon but I don't think you really get that anymore. Not as much, anyway.

I disagree, it is precisely in S / M that the aspect of ''How the Pokémon interact between them and their ecosystem'' is more careful.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I disagree, it is precisely in S / M that the aspect of ''How the Pokémon interact between them and their ecosystem'' is more careful.

S/M are probably my second-favorite generation — precisely for reasons like that. So I cede to your point. I especially like how they depict ecosystems with different Pokémon living together.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This is why they need to do more with Pokedex entries. As a random example, I love how Jellicent not only looks like the King of Town, but brings death to countless sailors.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Did we get something similar to these in English? I remember being disappointed by a family member getting me Pokemon cards that weren't actual TCG cards.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
The world of Pokemon has always been quite violent. Makes me wish there'd be a time we get an edgy Pokemon game, kinda like level5 is doing with Yokai Watch 4.
I haven't read it in a while, but I really enjoyed the Pokemon adventures manga partly for this reason.