• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Dawa1otXUAA7BtN.jpg:large

This is disturbing...

boris_

Mar 19, 2018
Looks interesting. It's always nice to see some classic Sugimori artwork.

Yeah, they're pretty weird.

ajcacio

Mar 6, 2018
Ken Sugimori was the original designer, right? When did the artstyle move from the watercolor-y look to the more modern look? Are there any gen 2 cards that look like this?

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
Ken Sugimori was the original designer, right? When did the artstyle move from the watercolor-y look to the more modern look? Are there any gen 2 cards that look like this?
It happened in the period between Gen 2 and 3, his style was slowly approaching the modern look during Crystal.
035Clefairy_C.png

250Ho-Oh_C.png

Interestingly enough he did exactly two Pokemon in his old coloring style before changing to the more modern one, same art but redone colors.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I love the original artwork. It's probably what drew me to Pokemon in the first place back with Red and Blue. I remember being one of the first kids to even know about the games and got a lot of others hooked.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Early Pokémon art is the coolest stuff. You get a much more interesting and insightful look into how these creatures behave and fit into their ecosystems. I still love Pokémon but I don't think you really get that anymore. Not as much, anyway.

I think it has to do with how Pokémon was conceived during development and how it turned out after, as some of these drawings(not the cards themselves) were made during development. And obviously things changed further after Red/Green came out.

Also I have no idea why, but for some reason I find this one the creepiest. Partially because I think I always viewed Koffing as this sorta' fleshy thing, but this points it out to be more like a balloon:

Koffing theoritically is full of gas, the reason Weezing is considerably heavier is that it's full of liquids instead.

Wing Attack was supposed to throw feathers? Wowa. (I haven't played anything after B/W so excuse me if they do that in current 3D animations)

From what I recall, as per Pokémon Stadium feathers were involved in some manner, which doesn't really work with things like Golbat of course.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
403px-Bandai_Kingler_card.jpg

Holy shit, that Ditto is fucking dead. I never imagined these cards would show Pokemon murdering one another.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017

In terms of the TGC I think theres a few. In terms of these 'Carddass' I don't think there is a gen 2 equivalent.

If I knew how much the early TGC stuff is worth sealed these days I'd have plowed all my paper round money into buying sealed boxes and packs D:

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Man, these are so cool. I love Sugimori's early style... the watercolor style really hits me right in the nostalgia.

20 years ago. Damn. Time flies.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Bumping an old thread because it's quite comprehensive.

These cards are pretty hard to buy. 😥

Most of the sellers are expectedly Japanese and the language barrier is hard for both of us. The cards also do not have great documentation so I'm doing my best to piece together information from the available listings.

It seems that Carddass sets were meant to be collected and assembled in what's referred to as a "file system." So the accompanying binders are usually referred to as complete files or file systems and not usually "sets" like we commonly use in English. Some of these file systems are black:

s-l500.jpg

But others still are blue:

s-l500.jpg

It's not clear to me yet which one is related to the 1997 set that is the subject of this thread. There is an even older set from 1996 that uses more traditional Pokémon art and the binder could match to that one instead. I'm still trying to figure that out because from a collector point of view obviously the intention is to have the correct binder.

Another wrinkle is that sets advertised as complete are not complete. There are 153 cards in the set: one for each of the original 151 Pokémon and two bonus ensemble cards that depict Red and Blue with the started Pokémon. But the listings provide very, very little information and usually do not have an adequate description. So you have to review the pictures and see if their understanding of "complete" means the 151 Pokémon or the total 153 cards.

Condition is also an issue because condition is not usually described. Sometimes it they'll just say "very good." In one instance, the seller actively discouraged purchasing their listing if you were hoping for a beautiful item:

"It becomes an old thing, but the state of the card was in the file, so I think it is a good one, but please refrain from the person who is looking for a beauty productThere are scratches and dirt on the binder"

I've been poking around and trying to keep an eye on this set for a few years now in hopes of picking up the full file system in the correct condition but it sure is hard.

Price is also all over the place. I'd hazard a guess that the cards do not have a market in Japan (where they are less of a novelty) and international sellers are attempting to cash in on their recent Western popularity to see how much they can get for them. That makes total sense but prices range from $200 to $500. That's a huge difference for trading cards. This has been the case for the last few years and I'm surprised they haven't stabilized yet.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The art on those cards is pretty cool - I definitely enjoy seeing stuff from the Pokemon games around the era that I used to play them as a kid, but why is this a "we need to talk about X" thing? We don't need to talk about it - it's just something cool to look at. Which is fine by the way. there's not some deeper discussion needed. I wish people would cool it on the clickbait titles.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
There's something about the expressiveness from these pics that I find fascinating. I can see where the Stadium animations took inspiration from, like Golbat being grounded rather than flying.

Oct 26, 2017
Bumping an old thread because it's quite comprehensive.

These cards are pretty hard to buy. 😥

Most of the sellers are expectedly Japanese and the language barrier is hard for both of us. The cards also do not have great documentation so I'm doing my best to piece together information from the available listings.

It seems that Carddass sets were meant to be collected and assembled in what's referred to as a "file system." So the accompanying binders are usually referred to as complete files or file systems and not usually "sets" like we commonly use in English. Some of these file systems are black:

s-l500.jpg

But others still are blue:

s-l500.jpg

It's not clear to me yet which one is related to the 1997 set that is the subject of this thread. There is an even older set from 1996 that uses more traditional Pokémon art and the binder could match to that one instead. I'm still trying to figure that out because from a collector point of view obviously the intention is to have the correct binder.

Another wrinkle is that sets advertised as complete are not complete. There are 153 cards in the set: one for each of the original 151 Pokémon and two bonus ensemble cards that depict Red and Blue with the started Pokémon. But the listings provide very, very little information and usually do not have an adequate description. So you have to review the pictures and see if their understanding of "complete" means the 151 Pokémon or the total 153 cards.

Condition is also an issue because condition is not usually described. Sometimes it they'll just say "very good." In one instance, the seller actively discouraged purchasing their listing if you were hoping for a beautiful item:

I've been poking around and trying to keep an eye on this set for a few years now in hopes of picking up the full file system in the correct condition but it sure is hard.

Price is also all over the place. I'd hazard a guess that the cards do not have a market in Japan (where they are less of a novelty) and international sellers are attempting to cash in on their recent Western popularity to see how much they can get for them. That makes total sense but prices range from $200 to $500. That's a huge difference for trading cards. This has been the case for the last few years and I'm surprised they haven't stabilized yet.

God 90's Pokemon art from all sides were so fucking cool. From Sugimori's timeless style to the crazy stuff you'd see in Japan like the above. Why did Pokemon art get so bland and lifeless in comparison? At least some of the Japanese movie posters are on fucking point at times.

Here's one from I Choose You, holy shit:

pokemonthemovieichooslbj1v.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Love this art. For you youngsters, the boxes and original instruction booklets that came with Red/Blue back in the day had some illustrations in it with this style too.

pokemon_red_blue_main_169.jpg

33zdwkh.jpg
pokemon-620x.jpg

I definitely love this style. It's kind of a bummer that everything got redesigned to match the anime.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
God 90's Pokemon art from all sides were so fucking cool. From Sugimori's timeless style to the crazy stuff you'd see in Japan like the above. Why did Pokemon art get so bland and lifeless in comparison? At least some of the Japanese movie posters are on fucking point at times.

I love the old Sugimori art. That will always be Pokémon to me. I'm still an avid fan of the series but the first two generations capture and depict an aesthetic I find far more captivating and full of wonder than the more mainstream anime style we have today.

That's why I like the Carddass set. They're a relic from an abandoned world: a world of teeth and claws and angry eyes.

Oct 26, 2017
I love the old Sugimori art. That will always be Pokémon to me. I'm still an avid fan of the series but the first two generations capture and depict an aesthetic I find far more captivating and full of wonder than the more mainstream anime style we have today.

That's why I like the Carddass set. They're a relic from an abandoned world. A world of teeth and claws and angry eyes.

Yep. I was always a huge fan of Sugimori's classic style since day 1. 3rd gen as pointed out was the start of the modern look (with Crystal being a neat mix of the two), but I think it was 4th gen when things got odd design-wise, maybe Emerald, since Brendan and May's art in Ruby and Sapphire more greatly resembled Sugimori's classic style than Emerald and onward. Nowadays it's literally night and day.

Ruby_Sapphire_Brendan.png
Emerald_Brendan.png

Edit: Oh right FRLG began the more modern style, not Emerald.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Would love to see the games emulate this watercolour style. It's just so good.

Loving the art on these cards, but the low-fi backgrounds are weird.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
403px-Bandai_Koffing_card.jpg

You're telling me that Koffings are hollow?! What's next, the flat Koffing theory?

Edit: Oh, this is an old-ass thread. Well, thanks for the bump (and the nightmares), these are fantastic.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Would love to see the games emulate this watercolour style. It's just so good.

Loving the art on these cards, but the low-fi backgrounds are weird.

I'd settle for a TCG set with all the art in this style, to be honest. I've been holding out for that for a long time. With all the classic reprints they've done, I wonder if it's occurred to them to just emulate the aesthetic of a classic set - just with new Pokémon too.

Imagine a full set with Pokémon spanning from every generation and all the art looks just like this.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Love this art. For you youngsters, the boxes and original instruction booklets that came with Red/Blue back in the day had some illustrations in it with this style too.

33zdwkh.jpg
pokemon-620x.jpg

I definitely love this style. It's kind of a bummer that everything got redesigned to match the anime.

Whewwwwww this brings back memories.

Oct 26, 2017
I'd settle for a TCG set with all the art in this style, to be honest. I've been holding out for that for a long time. With all the classic reprints they've done, I wonder if it's occurred to them to just emulate the aesthetic of a classic set - just with new Pokémon too.

Imagine a full set with Pokémon spanning from every generation and all the art looks just like this.

That'd so fucking incredible. I've been waiting for an amiibo Pokemon TCG series to succeed the e-cards. Those were so fun.

Also, one artist long gone from the franchise does not get NEARLY the recognition he deserves; Keiji Kinebuchi:

VoltorbBaseSet67.jpg
VoltorbAquapolis115.jpg

Base Set vs Aquapolis, his final set. I miss him so much, why did he leave? :(

Last edited:

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The OG manual squirtle art is my favorite art of my favorite Pokémon, had it as a wallpaper for a long while

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

33zdwkh.jpg
pokemon-620x.jpg

I remember wondering about the art showing Red and Blue with a girl trainer using Squirtle for the longest time.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

33zdwkh.jpg
pokemon-620x.jpg

They deliberately left gaps in that Pokédex at the back to leave a sense of mystery. So good. That manual... I can remember the smell of it you know. So good.

DanteRavenkin

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

33zdwkh.jpg
pokemon-620x.jpg

This literally made my heart skip a beat with happy memories. This whole thread has, actually. Gonna have to fire up the TCG Online later and reminisce...

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I had these stickers that were extremely similar to these called シールダス, but I think they may have been from a few years later. Still Pre-GS though.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have no Gen 1 nostalgia but that classic watercolor style just does it for me:
xerneas___old_s__and_modern_style_by_tomycase_d6nn3qb-fullview.png

volcarona___old_s__style_by_tomycase_d6mrmpt-pre.png

metagross___old_s__style___youtube_link_by_tomycase_d6mtkdi-fullview.png

(tomycase's DeviantArt has more!)

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
That'd so fucking incredible. I've been waiting for an amiibo Pokemon TCG series to succeed the e-cards. Those were so fun.

Also, one artist long gone from the franchise does not get NEARLY the recognition he deserves; Keiji Kinebuchi:

VoltorbBaseSet67.jpg
VoltorbAquapolis115.jpg

Yes! I love his art since I was a kid.
They might not be as detailed as other illustrations but they have a special place in my heart.

DiglettBaseSet47.jpg
425px-DugtrioBaseSet19.jpg

OddishJungle58.jpg
432px-VileplumeJungle15.jpg
GloomJungle37.jpg

Aesnath

Oct 27, 2017
Well, now I have something else stupid to want. I really like the "Misfortunes of Psyduck" triptych.

Deleted member 25140

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Those early watercolour artworks have a special place in my heart, I wish they'd always kept that style but as the franchise got bigger I completely understand them wanting to make everything more unified

Those Keiji Kinebuchi artworks are E V E R Y T H I N G though

I can never forget this Slowpoke card artwork, my Mum used to always find it hilariously funny that it was so simple but I love it

Slowpoke__55_62__Fossil.jpg

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017

VoltorbBaseSet67.jpg
VoltorbAquapolis115.jpg

I have a soft spot for his work, too, but other CGI artists for the TCG were showing greater technical proficiency in like 1998, and 2002 was real late to still be putting out art that looked like this:
Grimer.AQ.79.png

(I love that card.)