• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
For what it's worth, the EGS discource on Era is definitely better than everywhere else since the reaction from a lot of other parts of the internet is "fuck you ima just pirate it". The Tencent shit has always been a racist red herring though and it's sad to see it pop up here.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
If your concerns are centered around your convenience versus developers being able to make a living, you don't actually support the game industry.

That said, moving platforms is a pain and using influence to promote your platform is a scum move. Like making online DRM necessary with a major release, as steam did with Half Life 2.
No nuance allowed

a916

Oct 25, 2017
It's really gross and disgusting that it's even remotely okay to talk like that.

What a disgusting response.

The simplest "solution" would be to ban discussion or promotion of the EGS.

Of course it's not really a solution, because there's plenty of toxicity to go around on other topics, but it would dampen down a flashpoint.

The topic shouldn't be banned... the discussion around it needs to be cleaned up.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
The response he received is not that different from posts I have seen here, tough to be fair, mods have taken action on the posts I have reported. The ratio on the tweets (way more likes than replies) is very telling of how the EGS controversy is actually seen outside the ERA bubble.

It sucks you think we are all so beneath you :(

I guess it's not worth bothering to have conversation on this forum then?

I used to be mostly a leaker in the last but I felt that discussion in this site was possible but any time I see you post it's more or less telling people like me that our opinions are worth nothing regardless of how much I try and explain my position.

It should be ok to think its fine an Indy took epics money and also not think that epic is a good thing.

I've avoided the topic. I agree there are a lot of toxic people surrounding it. Honestly the topic has reminded me of all those 'gamegate and gaming journalist are trash' people. Social media has created a herd mentality with some topics like this.

Ah so now unless you agree with epic your Gamergate level trash. Awesome. Very empathetic.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Death threats and racist shit is ridiculous. Folks should be banned for that.

But EGS is trash. As a customer i want whats best for me. And if a dev or journo is pushing me to spend my money on inferior shit and then acting offended when I dont they should be told to fuck off.

People glamorize and have hero worship of these devs and journos. They want your money. And to me if you pushing me on some bullshit thats a worse experience for me because they get more money? Lol fuck outta here. Thats not how it works.
This is exactly the wrong attitude to have. It's fine to disagree and it's obviously fine to have an opinion regardless of how it's informed, but to act like BL's list, in any regard, is shitty and stupid and entitled to the point of lunacy. Slinging insults from the mundane to the violent gets nobody anywhere and adds literally nothing to the discussion.

This is why we can't have nice things.

snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017
This reads like "the ability to buy a game in a more limited fashion is worse than that game never existing at all"

Take notice of games that sign EGS exclusivity deals and then also launch on Game Pass. Ashen was one; Metro Exodus (on PC) was another. Its tough out there being a developer. I don't fault anybody for wanting to be able to pay their bills
Going off topic here but I have no issues with the individual devs either, I would 100% take the deal in their situation.
I still think its very short term and destructive for the pc landscape. Small stores like Gog and Itch will be hardest hit by Epic being prepared to sink millions into unsustainable deals

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
The moment devs take the deal they become the enemy.

It's such a distributing tribal mindset.

Most games don't make their money back.

Hell, you're lucky if you break even.

Why on earth wouldn't they take deals with worthwhile guarantees?

People are putting Steam's features over the game itself.

This is also contantly thrown at posters in these threads who aren't on the EGS hate train. Me not agreeing with you doesn't mean I didn't hear you. It means I did hear, and I still disagree.

100% agreed. That does not make me a shill or entitle you to be hostile or call me names or attempt to report me for "trolling".

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't like EGS, but I just opt not to use it. I really don't get why people are getting so hostile about it. It's strange times.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
User Banned (5 Days): Antagonizing another member and misrepresenting their posts
I'm gonna think on this and save my input for later, because my immediate reaction is that it's hard for me to see this thread as anything but a place for gaslighting EGS skeptics, after the way you tried to make some of these points the other night. In the cloud save thread, where you openly blamed EGS skeptics for not showing up in droves to praise Epic for deploying a core feature many months later than they had promised they would, and framed that hesitation as evidence of our toxicity, of our need to hate. Those posts brought me the closest I've come to just walking away from this community for good, and I'm still here sitting on that fence.

Fucking truth. No one should get harassed...but at the same time I'm tired of seeing this strategy deployed, especially when it's preceded by snark and inflammatory posts. A lot of folks have legitimate reasons for not supporting EGS and it sucks seeing so many people I respected dismiss that with ridicule.

This applies to perplamp's discord tantrum too. JFC what a mess that was.

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
I wish the gaming community as a whole would direct all that rage and anger towards exploitative microtransactions and gambling mechanics in games instead of the EGS. Compare to this, the EGS isn't that big of a deal. It's not like EGS can exploit the vulnerable and potentially ruin a person's financial wellbeing.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
It sucks you think we are all so beneath you :(

I guess it's not worth bothering to have conversation on this forum then?

I used to be mostly a leaker in the last but I felt that discussion in this site was possible but any time I see you post it's more or less telling people like me that our opinions are worth nothing regardless of how much I try and explain my position.

It should be ok to think its fine an Indy took epics money and also not think that epic is a good thing.

That's not true at all. What a weird personal post.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Hey what if we stopped flocking to the lowliest posts like moths to a flame? We could flip it around and start addressing the best posts and ignoring the worst posts.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
From what ive seen Epic discussion is definitely the worst here. Even Youtube comments arent as wild as ERA when it comes to EGS. That suits me just fine because many of the same names that dogpiled me for years on GAF for my views on Steam are the ones melting down over EGS. The cherry on top is that sometimes they use some of the same arguments i made for my Steam boycott.. the very arguments they themselves ridiculed years ago. i dont really engage any longer because of bans. So now i just have some laughs when im having dinner content that ive lived long enough to witness vindication.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Antagonizing another member and misrepresenting their posts
Fucking truth. No one should get harassed...but I'm tired of seeing this strategy deployed, especially when it's preceded by inflammatory posts.

This applies to perplamp's discord tantrum too. JFC what a mess that was.

Agree with you both - harassment is crossing the line but some of this feels disingenuous when it feels like OP has posted things intended to provoke/bait in the past.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I have never been more embarrassed about the gaming community than all this EGS furor, and that is saying something.

It is a game launcher you can download and play on your PC without any cost. I am sorry if you invested too much in Steam Trading Cards or whatever and feel loyalty to one corporation, but like, quiet down a little already and live with your mistakes.

This post right here is a perfect reason why we have the toxicity that we do.

PC customers have expressed their dislike in great detail for Epic taking away customer choice on where to buy and which launcher to play on. Epic striking deals to keep games off other launchers, while completely ignoring the requests of customers to add any features to their store.

But it's all hand waved away, with the ignorant "just another free launcher" nonsense.

Posts like this exist in every single EGS thread and a lot of it comes from people who don't participate in any PC related threads, and/or have junior accounts. This is a big reason why EGS threads are as bad as they are.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue is that some people think it's okay to be toxic, if they think they're right. There's also a lot of people who don't see anything that isn't violent (or the threat of violence) as toxic.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
This community has only gotten even more and more toxic. On the off topic side of things, people have gotten aggressive and attacking OPS on that board for dumb reasons such as "birthdays" so I'm not surprised.

From a psychological perspective this is because of group think and group bias, everybody in the hate EGS "group" wants to be seen and heard. The problem is it's ridiculous and we don't need to attack people to make a point.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Pardon my ignorance on this bit, but are there any of these deals that are exclusive in perpetuity and not just timed exclusive? Because I said this earlier, but where a lot of the arguments break down for me is "I'm mad I have to wait to play this on my preferred platform" which while a perfectly understandable feeling to have, doesn't come close to justifying the kind of sustained negativity we've seen.

As far as I know they are all timed.

The sustained negativity is due to the belief that Epic running what is arguably an unsustainable marketplace (by their own words) will ultimately harm both consumers and developers if (and this is only an IF) Epic decides it's no longer worth it. Mixed with people who are in fact, just petty and want it on Steam right away.

These deals require a lot of assumptions that I can freely admit I do not have the analytics to say one way or another how viable they are.

It requires enough people that are indifferent to the EGS that they will buy their games there, preferably in a quantity above the guaranteed sales # Epic offers you, as Epic may not see the next project from said dev as a worthwhile investment in the future if it's not even making that initial investment back. Who knows how willing Epic is to just throw away money (although the constant influx of "free games" is a sign that they're willing to burn a lot of cash in this endeavor).

It also requires enough people who don't want to use the EGS but are still interested in your game to still be around 1 year later when the Steam release happens to add that supplemental income, ignoring the competition from other games that will be newly releasing at that time (can your "second launch" gain the same level of mindshare as new titles?)

And if worse comes to worse, it requires enough people still interested in you as a developer in the event that Epic doesn't come back for your next project to hopefully make whatever sales target you need on whatever other platforms you hope to get on.

Tie all this in with the sentiment that EGS is meant to push Valve to "change" things, when from a consumer perspective there's nothing Valve actually needs to change (aside from curation of hateful content) that EGS is doing differently, and I take it most people see EGS as a direct attack on the health of the industry they enjoy. I don't want to see exclusivity deals permeating into the PC space. If Epic wants to fund games, it should be acquiring these studios, not just buying our the rights to their games to "starve" out their competitors when it does nothing to help consumers, without knowing how long they're willing to keep this up.

How much d'you want to bet that the mods will ignore that sort of stuff, as they do in just about every EGS thread, and instead ban someone like myself for criticising their conduct, or lack thereof?

You being meta also really isn't helping things at all. Most of the people in the Ooblets thread that were warned/banned were for trolling people with EGS criticisms.

I just think the mods aren't touching this thread right now.

On toxicity.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This is an important issue and the thread was, ironically, filled with the very kind of toxicity that the OP references. The community also has to do their part to make these threads better. No one likes how these threads turn out and because we can all agree on this fact, it means that everyone involved needs to do better. As such, we are reopening this thread. Our only hope is that this leads to these topic getting better in the future.

Last edited:

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
There isnt any reason to be upset by it, but there are legitimate reasons why people do not support its practices and parent company. That these individuals are refereed to as childish and Gamer man babies for not supporting the store on forums and by devs is where I kinda get peeved off.
There's a difference between not supporting it and what happens on this forum, you have to admit, right?

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
100% agree with you BronsonLee . I have no love for the Epic Games and their store and believe the practices they partake in are not good for the communities they are active in. And it is certainly inevitable that tensions will rise with these, the vitriol with which these have been received are not healthy for the community.

Death threats and verbal violence against people in these threads are simply not acceptable.

And while I hate to "both sides" shit, it certainly doesn't help when legitimate criticism of the store and its practices is dismissed alongside the violence.

we need to do better in general, admit that if something doesn't affect us it can affect others and on the other hand realise that not everyone involved in these desicions or activities (or people just not bothered by them) are responsible for a perceived slight against you.

What we need is more empathy.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
On this forum anyone who disagrees with you on many topics is at best a corporate apologist or Stan. It's just stupid and damn near impossible to have a conversation on here without my eyes rolling out of my head.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
The Internet should just stop existing. Yes, EGS needs to improve. Yes, game devs have a right to choose the platform of their choice. There's no logic behind the hatred from either side. Critics of EGS shouldn't be deemed as petulant children. Supporters of EGS (and devs that decide to sign deal with Epic) shouldn't be treated like garbage. Can't we just have a normal discussion? Why is this so difficult? Antagonism and senseless vitriol only results in the gaming community becoming more secluded

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
It's fair to criticize idea's and actions, but don't make them personal attacks, I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand. This goes for everything, not just games. If you make it personal, you're the one with the problem, not those you're attacking.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Should be pretty easy to clean up the over the top stuff like threats and personal attacks.

But if the goal is to have folks be accepting of this method, I think that ship has sailed. With some of the late stuff where the developers are getting involved and saying some really ... wild stuff themselves that is offending their audience, I think this topic is destined to be an absolutely hugely divisive topic. Any chance of it just becoming a "thing" that folks didn't feel strongly about is dead by this point.

Im not sure that Epics intent was for this to be a quiet thing though. Looking at all those early tweets and stuff? Being a hot topic may be what they wanted. They certainly got it... that for sure.

Oct 26, 2017
User banned (permanent): trolling, attacking the community and a long history of trolling and inflammatory posting
breaking news this place is trash

Oct 26, 2017
Probably not the best thread, or time for that matter just after a thread cleanup to make sweeping and generalising statements. ERA has a lot of both positive and negative aspects and none of them are improved by posts like this in a thread trying to cool down tensions and improve the community.

fuck the community, polish that turd, it'll be a shiny turd

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god. What happened!? This thread was so civil this morning with what I felt was honest and respectful discourse for at least a few hours. I come back this afternoon and it has devolved once more into "I will dominate you with wit, snark, and obvious brilliance". Jesus H. Christ, folks! CALM DOWN! If you wouldn't say something to someone in the real world, then don't say it here. Period. Simple. It's not worth it. No matter what you or the other person has to say. It's. Not. Worth. It.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): drive-by trolling, ignoring staff post
agree, outrage over a launcher is insane

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Oh my god. What happened!? This thread was so civil this morning with what I felt was honest and respectful discourse for at least a few hours. I come back this afternoon and it's devolved once more into "I will dominate you with wit, snark, and obvious brilliance". Jesus H. Christ, folks! CALM DOWN! If you wouldn't say something to someone in the real world, then don't say it here. Period. Simple. It's not worth it. No matter what you or the other person has to say. It's. Not. Worth. It.

I'm mostly happy we made it around 10 pages before things went truly off the chain tbh

Even if we fail out at least we got good discussion and reflection on it before it derailed

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if it's even possible to have a civil discussion about EGS at this point. Hell, a civil discussion about almost everything is impossible on the internet.

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
PC customers have expressed their dislike in great detail for Epic taking away customer choice on where to buy and which launcher to play on.

Haven´t that choice been taken away a long time ago, possibly never existed. I can´t buy and play DA Inquisition on Steam, but I´ve never heard the amount of hate towards EGS targeted at Origin for ex.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Haven´t that choice been taken away a long time ago, possibly never existed. I can´t buy and play DA Inquisition on Steam, but I´ve never heard the amount of hate towards EGS targeted at Origin for ex.
the common argument against that line of thought(which i understand) is that those are funded by the pub, as in, the games werent taken out of anywhere else.

Fid

Jun 5, 2018
Detroit
As far as I know they are all timed.

The sustained negativity is due to the belief that Epic running what is arguably an unsustainable marketplace (by their own words) will ultimately harm both consumers and developers if (and this is only an IF) Epic decides it's no longer worth it. Mixed with people who are in fact, just petty and want it on Steam right away.

These deals require a lot of assumptions that I can freely admit I do not have the analytics to say one way or another how viable they are.

It requires enough people that are indifferent to the EGS that they will buy their games there, preferably in a quantity above the guaranteed sales # Epic offers you, as Epic may not see the next project from said dev as a worthwhile investment in the future if it's not even making that initial investment back. Who knows how willing Epic is to just throw away money (although the constant influx of "free games" is a sign that they're willing to burn a lot of cash in this endeavor).

It also requires enough people who don't want to use the EGS but are still interested in your game to still be around 1 year later when the Steam release happens to add that supplemental income, ignoring the competition from other games that will be newly releasing at that time (can your "second launch" gain the same level of mindshare as new titles?)

And if worse comes to worse, it requires enough people still interested in you as a developer in the event that Epic doesn't come back for your next project to hopefully make whatever sales target you need on whatever other platforms you hope to get on.

Tie all this in with the sentiment that EGS is meant to push Valve to "change" things, when from a consumer perspective there's nothing Valve actually needs to change (aside from curation of hateful content) that EGS is doing differently, and I take it most people see EGS as a direct attack on the health of the industry they enjoy. I don't want to see exclusivity deals permeating into the PC space. If Epic wants to fund games, it should be acquiring these studios, not just buying our the rights to their games to "starve" out their competitors when it does nothing to help consumers, without knowing how long they're willing to keep this up.

Competition isn't always about changing things, it's about pushing them to be better. That's not to say EGS will do that or even wants to, but historically monopolies are never better for customers long-term than healthy competition. What would the PS4 look like if the 360 didn't dominate the way it did for most of that generation? And look what happened with Xbox One when they felt like they could just coast on their install base. It was fine, but the market shift forced them to fundamentally change their focus and has resulted in awesome things like GamePass, which is maybe the single most consumer-friendly thing in gaming right now.

If the EGS goes down in flames and/or Epic pulls their money out of it down the road either because it fails to gain enough market-share or the handouts become unsustainable, what's the worst case for devs? They got to make a few games with a guaranteed cushion that maybe earned them a following and maybe didn't and they'll have to start from scratch on Steam. That's still a win for them. Not to mention Early Access makes modern PC "launches" kind of a weird thing anyways, so a "re-launch" on a new storefront wouldn't be out of the norm necessarily.

Either the EGS model will be sustainable or it won't, and if turns out to be "won't" then it'll either die or change. As a consumer you can and should use your money to vote if the trade-offs are worth it for you either now or in the future. But also as a consumer, your worst case is either playing at launch on a different device or playing on your PC but having to wait a bit. Inconvenient? Yeah. But nowhere NEAR the level that justifies the reaction it continues to get, and that's what the Jason Schreiers and Ooblet devs of the world are seeing on a daily basis, hence their snark. It's not exactly productive but it's human and I get it.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
100% agreed. Once Epic started taking their current approach towards securing exclusives the discussion very quickly turned overwhelmingly toxic to the point where it was impossible to have a genuine discussion on the subject, that's only become worse as time has gone on to the point where I don't even bother looking in threads on the matter anymore.

I'm not the biggest fan of their approach but the discussions on the subject are just tiring.