• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a lot of people are discussing this today. There's the Rami thread and now Jason posted this:

It's getting a lot of traction right now because of the Ooblets exclusivity and the reaction to the dev's blog post and comments.

Also I really wish Jason didnt love kicking hornet's nests

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It's fucking awful. The PC community let the snobbery of being above console gamers go to their head. Now that they have to deal with some aspects that impact console gaming(exclusives), they are losing their shit, and acting completely out of control. It's fine if you don't like EGS, you don't need to rampage day after day because of things they are doing. Nor do you need to relentlessly attack developers who work with Epic.

It's particularly frustrating because it's not even contained to the specific EGS threads. Every time an EGS game is brought up thereafter there are people ready to take a big shit in the thread and restart the same arguments that were already had. Unfortunately the issue is even worse on larger social media platforms.

And yes there is an opposing element that is overly patronizing about not caring about the situation, or the storefronts, but those people are generally easier to deal with via moderation. Particularly because they don't have the same level of skin in the game.

Can we cut the persecution complex nonsense? It's ridiculous. These rules already exist for consoles, and if anything the PC community on here had it very lax for many years stretching back into the GAF days when it was acceptable to PC port beg under the guise of "wanting the best version of the game".

Talk about persecution complex.

Why didnt you just say pc master race like you were tip toeing around with your horrible post.

And this is yet anothe horrible facet to this whole thing, the tranparent trolli g from co sole o ly gamers in eevry god damn egs thread. Many comenout and say it too: i would ne er game on a pc, herp derp. But isnt it just a launcher?

That gets tiring right quick.

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
When every discussion has "fuck you/off" one liner people, who are always the same loud users we all know btw, and are never moderated, this is what happens eventually. But hey, that's not a problem, don't you dare talking about metacommentary.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I mean bronson your on numerous accounts when you was even modding attacking pc users n baiting people in these exact threads. That doesn't in anyway excuse some things being thrown your away and im sure at other users who don't even post anymore due to such nature.

Many of us for ages have wanted changes done to communities n cut out certain behaviour and it hasn't been done and we see these threads appear over and over again and normally become locked and loads of users get banned.

There needs to be a thread where people can place issues at hand and be able to discuss issues without a ban hammer heading there way for constructively doing so. This doesn't just effect pc type threads its all over in alot of communities

What the OP has done or quite frankly anyone has done doesn't matter anymore. This isn't about past actions that brought us here.

This is about us, being here, right now.

EGS threads typically consist of the following:

People who are attempting to argue (in good faith) the negatives of the EGS, both short and long term.
People who are in fact so petty it literally just comes down to not wanting to use another launcher (no steam no buy) and being toxic about it.
People who are attempting to argue (in good faith) the belief that EGS can in fact have a benefit to the market
People who are attempting to argue (in bad faith) the belief that EGS WILL be a benefit to the market but cannot explain why and dismiss any opposing position.
People who don't see a problem and refuse to engage with people on why (the "it's just another launcher" crowd), typically resorting to strawman examples of the anti-EGS crowd.
People actively trying to stir up shit.

We need to reconcile all of this.

She literally said you didn't in the snippet you quoted.

I mean that post is essentially "Hey you didn't' deserve the things you got because of what you did, but I'm making sure to remind you and point out you did these things". It's either a very backhanded way of saying you didn't deserve it, or it's poor english messing up the intent of the message.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
It's not so much a thread, it's the long ass PDF someone made up that immediately got dismissed because "lol why do you care so much about this". Like we can put in the work to explain why the EGS is seen as a negative but they don't actually care to learn why. They just want to stoke the flames and move on with their lives.

Admittedly it could maybe use a few more positive EGS counterpoints (which are... uh... I mean the dev stuff I guess? like having the UE license fee waived and stuff).
But on the other hand, I think it's unfair to say everyone who isn't bothered by EGS is just stoking the flames. I've read the pdf back to front on more than one occasion and I'm subject to the same PC gaming reality that you are, but I fall firmly in the "it's just a launcher" camp. I don't think it's fair to say people don't want to learn just because they don't come to a desired outcome with given information. I know why people dislike it, that's not a mystery to me! I just really don't see it as a problem when it mainly amounts to timed exclusivity (though obviously I am sympathetic to situations where people were promised Stean keys for a game and such).

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Like i posted earlier, there is this weird ass thing happening in this very thread where people will agree with the OP by posting toxic accusations and insults.
If that doesn't indicate a major problem with this community at large, then i don't know what does.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
This thread is being used as enabler for "just a launcher" trolls, it is not helping at all.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, people being condescending, to people who object to the EGS, like this aren't helping the situation either
To me it feels like at this point jschreier is more of a union representative than a journalist. He has done it in the past and called out Valve for ... sending their employees on a free vacation to Hawaii.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Saying "Other people are always going to be toxic so I'm going to be toxic too" is some self defeatist nonsense. You cant control what other people do but you decide your own actions. Do better.

Well I also call Donald Trump an 'orange racist hobgobin', and I have a bunch of choice words for the Walton family and 'disruptive' silicon valley jerks as well. I'm good, these public facing people aren't my friends and are making things better for themselves, but worse for me and most people I know.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Originally your post was only the first sentence: "When being patronized as a consumer I can call someone an idiot." I saw the edit reloading the page.

Lies. The second sentence was. "This the problem." It made no sense so I added "is." You act like I edited and changed the context of what I said and that is simply not true.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I don't know why people get so needlessly heated about this stuff. There are problems with both platforms and there are valid ways to express those concerns and express one's preference or interest for one platform or the other without descending into the toxic vitriol that has become so common. It's amazing how the console wars aspect of games fandom had seemed to die down until this came up

This is a sensibly written post, but at the core you're doing the kind of false equivalence that frustrates people. If Steam is a Toyota Camry, EGS is a golf cart. People have exhaustively pointed out the many ways EGS fails to deliver basic conveniences which have been standard on modern platforms since like 2006.

The objections to EGS are not mainly about "console wars" or loyalty to Steam. Most people taking "Steam's side" in this have their own criticisms of that platform. But there is justifiable hostility to being coerced through high profile exclusives to accept a platform which is frankly primitive.

It's frustrating to have to make these points over and over and see them never sink in in EGS-related threads.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yep. Toxic/Entitled gamer culture is just getting worse, and there is no end in site. I don't see how it starts going in the other direction. The only thing I can hope for is that there is some accountability down the line. Maybe these "random internet trolls" get sued to oblivion for slander, and that criminal charges start getting pressed for harassment and violent threats. At a certain point, when the culture becomes this toxic it goes beyond the community being able to police itself. Real law enforcement need to start getting involved. When someone's life, or livelihood, is threatened people need to start facing charges.

Hubologist

Nov 1, 2017
Yep, it's getting to the point where I don't even go to threads where games get timed exclusivity on EGS. Way too much hostility. I don't like EGS, but there's ways to voice your frustration or vote with your wallet without being negative or toxic.
Hear, hear! I was disappointed to learn that The Outer Worlds was EGS exclusive, but ultimately, I understand why Obsidian made that call. If I want to play it on day 1, it's gotta be EGS. Else, I wait. It is what it is.

My biggest concern about EGS is Tencent's involvement and potential privacy concerns around that. Has anything shady been found or is this mainly China paranoia?

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Like i posted earlier, there is this weird ass thing happening in this very thread where people will agree with the OP by posting toxic accusations and insults.
If that doesn't indicate a major problem with this community at large, then i don't know what does.

If it wasn't major I wouldn't make a serious thread about it tbh. I go back and forth between bouncing out of gaming side and/or just bouncing off the site altogether.

It's an issue, one that we should definitely try to work on, myself included. I'm going to do my best to cut out the goofiness, as it isn't helping.

This thread is being used as enabler for "just a launcher" trolls, it is not helping at all.

This is stuff that I want to actively try to stamp out/avoid from now on too.

We gotta be able to cut through the chaff.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seems like a lot of people are discussing this today. There's the Rami thread and now Jason posted this:

Cool they are actually breaking even thats great to hear-......wait did he just refer to nay sayers as gamers who just dont wanna use fewer features? See what I mean about people being condescending.

But whatever cant wait for the Kotaku article which ignores all the discord stuff.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I also remember when Google was supposed to save us all.
I remember the day when treating your employee well, like say offering them vacation, wasn't used as a mockery compared to the company which is known to make unbelievable amount of money from the crunch of it's developper.
Meanwhile, you can expect these Epic Store controversies to continue at least until Valve relents on that 70-30% split, which might affect their yearly company-wide Hawaii vacations but would probably make game developers' lives a whole lot better.

Jason Schreier

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Judging from many of the replies here it seems like a whole lot of people missed the point of the OP's post.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Gaming media's refusal to even engage in lukewarm criticism of EGS is a testament to how accomplished Tim Sweeney is at PR. He has somehow managed to define this conversation 100% as "the scrappy underdog" versus "the big evil monopolistic corporation", despite also being a billionaire whose store is more anti-consumer than the so-called "monopoly", but the media eats it up and just assumes all Gamers™ are the issue here.

It just keeps feeding the flames and it's getting frustrating.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Jason is a good reporter but this is a moronic take. No one at Kotaku seems to be able to figure out why people don't like EGS. Nathan Grayson is unreadable too.

Reporters are always closer to their subjects then their readers. It's common in any form of reporting, be it political or business or gaming. It's not unexpected unfortunately.

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory drive-by in a sensitive subject thread
Yeah, guys, loathe as I am to plant myself in the middle of the fence like I'm a wooden stake, this thread isn't about that.

I fucked up, we fucked up. It's gone too far.

We gotta try to bring the heat level down.
boogie2988_middle_by_digi_matrix-db3h3ud.gif

Skel

Oct 27, 2017
France
Wow, some people are taking this situation VERY seriously.

Still disappointed to see a "X game will be EGS exclusive" thread every week though.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I remember the day when treating your employee well, like say offering them vacation, wasn't used as a mockery compared to the company which is known to make unbelievable amount of money from the crunch of it's developper.

I mean lets not pretend Valve is some amazing place to work, lots of horror stories about their corporate structure as of late...

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
PLEASE STOP CREATING NEW EGS THREADS FFS. ARGH. PLEASE CREATE AN OT AND KEEP EVERYTHING THERE. THAT IS IT. /meltdown

(and to the inevitable "well dont read them then" there's dozens of them on the front page of the forum. they're unavoidable)

rQyzUMZ.png

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
You can also choose not to, and either say nothing or find other words to voice your displeasure that aren't schoolyard name calling. That is why this thread exists.

I do. I have very few posts on EGS in relation to how much discussion goes on. Rami Ismail has a history of bad takes though and I truly feel my post about him was accurate.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I also remember when Google was supposed to save us all.

I'm generally on the "other side" of Stadia threads, and I can say it's equally frustrating to respond to the same arguments over and over in those threads:

- omg you have to pay 60 to stream a game
- google cancels everything they make
- streaming doesn't offer players anything
- you can just buy a playstation for 200

When the same points get brought up over and over and the conversation never moves forward, tensions start to rise.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I mean bronson your on numerous accounts when you was even modding attacking pc users n baiting people in these exact threads. That doesn't in anyway excuse some things being thrown your away and im sure at other users who don't even post anymore due to such nature.

Many of us for ages have wanted changes done to communities n cut out certain behaviour and it hasn't been done and we see these threads appear over and over again and normally become locked and loads of users get banned.

There needs to be a thread where people can place issues at hand and be able to discuss issues without a ban hammer heading there way for constructively doing so. This doesn't just effect pc type threads its all over in alot of communities
Read my post I did say that it doesn't excuse the things thrown you way.

But you just admitted to baiting n saying things
This sure looks like victim blaming to me.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
This is stuff that I want to actively try to stamp out/avoid from now on too.

We gotta be able to cut through the chaff.

But you can see its not really working. You have several posts in this thread alone that are basically "Should have modded the Steam community more. They are so toxic". which, if I understood your OP right, is the exact same thing you try to speak out for. Then you have the other side "I can call Tim Sweeney however I want."

It is still "us vs. them".

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Imagine what this forum will be like when stadia starts buying exclusives away from consoles and the same people villifying those with concerns over egs start going into google.

Man, its going be 10 times worse.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
User banned (2 weeks): trolling and misrepresenting moderation and other members + long history of doing the same thing in similar threads
I've reported posters in EGS topics for posts which would usually get moderated elsewhere, and nothing ever happens. Meanwhile, if you don't hate EGS and don't think Tim is a cunt, it seems like anything you say can get you a ban. The only other time I've posted in an EGS topic in recent weeks was when someone else wrote a neutral to positive post about EGS and wondered why topics seemed so one-sided, I posted that they'll probably find out why soon, and minutes later that poster got a ban. Now I'll go back to silence.