• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was never a promise of ROTR for anything but Xbox, yet there were still months of furor over it. The Borderlands 3 announcement trailer has no Steam logos or promises, yet people still rage over its EGS-exclusivity.

Whatever ruleset you're personally operating from seems to differ from the community at large.
Yes there was rotr was promised for ps4 and pc, it was only a few months before where they confirmed exclusivity and that Microsoft had bought it. It seems like your in the minority where this doesn't bother you or you don't care but its not like this hasn't been an issue in the past.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
No one is assuming anything except that coming into a thread about the discourse surrounding EGS just to talk about how businesses aren't your friend as if you've stumbled upon some enlightened viewpoint is a large part of the problem. If we're being real, you've had nothing to say about other than a couple of sentences about the toxic discourse until it was pointed out and even still most of your posts are the same old "what about people who don't care or understand" stuff. You're just on about the same old arguments from any other egs topic while continually saying people want you to see their point of view or whatever it is you keep repeating.

Regarding the actual topic of the thread, I find your behavior a prime example of why these topics devolve into what we see around here, your first contribution was to defend EGS while saying you were ignorant on the topic. If I'm being honest, I don't give a single shit if you support EGS. I do find it antagonistic to come into threads that are clearly volatile and write some some ignorant stuff like "well I don't know what the issue is here, but let me share my uninformed opinion about how I don't care anyhow."

It's like when Eitka was going through his struggles and people had to come in and over put in their two cents. The biggest lesson that many of you can learn is that just because this is a forum, you don't HAVE to add your opinion to every topic around here. For example, if you don't like Jim sterling, maybe stay out of Jim sterling threads rather than come in and bitch about Jim sterling. If crossplay isn't a big deal to you, maybe don't come tell everyone in a thread who are passionate over the feature that you don't care. It's the source of a lot of drama around here. Even worst, after it's been explained multiple times, you're still on about people just wanting you to see things through their POV because that makes it easier for you to ignore criticism or maybe gain a little self-awareness. And I'm sorry if it seems like I'm ragging on you, but you're honestly a prime example of what happens in egs topics, hell most topics around here. It's fine if you're uninformed, but there are less disingenuous ways to get that across.

Also for anyone who feels the need to point it out. I'm sure most of us are painfully aware that businesses aren't our pals. It isn't a unique viewpoint that any of you stumbled upon that you need to continually post every single day.

Ah, but the difference between me and you is you come out with guns and swords a blazing, and I'm just dropping a neutral observation, saying perhaps there's other ways people see the issue (they don't care). Your post above is extremely aggressive in its tone, and you sound like exactly the kind of person who's unwilling to understand there are people just don't care, you come across like you'd like them all lined up in a meat locker and shut away for eternity.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, but the difference between me and you is you come out with guns and swords a blazing, and I'm just dropping a neutral observation, saying perhaps there's other ways people see the issue (they don't care). Your post above is extremely aggressive in its tone, and you sound like exactly the kind of person who's unwilling to understand there are people just don't care, you come across like you'd like them all lined up in a meat locker and shut away for eternity.
If you don't care about a topic than ignore it or if you want to know more than say it but your not being neutral with your posts.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes there was rotr was promised for ps4 and pc, it was only a few months before where they confirmed exclusivity and that Microsoft had bought it. It seems like your in the minority where this doesn't bother you or you don't care but its not like this hasn't been an issue in the past.
ROTR was announced at the 2014 Xbox E3 Press Conference with no particular platforms associated. It was confirmed as an Xbox exclusive a few months later at Gamescom.

Exclusives bother me when they're on kinda deficient platforms that I don't care for, but I typically buy every platform so it's not that big of an issue. I understand why and how they happen though. FF7 is arguably the worst and most annoying one of this generation, since they aren't even letting Square-Enix produce a PC version of the game.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Talk about missing the entire point of his post. There's no hope for you.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I think you mean 'refuse to support third party exclusivity on PC', but you do you, baby.
But that's silly--when folks are talking about platform exclusivity, they are not talking about software clients within the same platform. Be it on Steam, GOG, Origin, uPlay, EGS, or whatever--if it's on PC, it's on PC.

The way "EGS exclusive" has been twisted into something detrimental for PC gaming is ridiculous. No matter how often y'all try to deny it, it is just a client, no different from the others. This isn't GFWL or UWP--it's a different file path for the exact same thing.

And if anyone's going to try to pivot to "B-b-but Steam has more features"--if you want to argue that Steam should be mandatory for all PC games, then just say that. Don't dance around it by arguing about EGS when it's clearly not what you actually care about.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
But that's silly--when folks are talking about platform exclusivity, they are not talking about software clients within the same platform. Be it on Steam, GOG, Origin, uPlay, EGS, or whatever--if it's on PC, it's on PC.

The way "EGS exclusive" has been twisted into something detrimental for PC gaming is ridiculous. No matter how often y'all try to deny it, it is just a client, no different from the others. This isn't GFWL or UWP--it's a different file path for the exact same thing.

And if anyone's going to try to pivot to "B-b-but Steam has more features"--if you want to argue that Steam should be mandatory for all PC games, then just say that. Don't dance around it by arguing about EGS when it's clearly not what you actually care about.
It is not. You can repeat it as often as you want to: you are still wrong.
Sadly posts like these are the reason why it's incredibly hard to have normal and serious discussions about this topic.

Edit: honestly. You really CAN NOT have a normal discussion with those posts running wild in between. Not only do Staff Posts get ignored, as well as the OP post and the whole context - just so someone can post the typical "it's not a platform nuhu" thing and painting others as Steam fanboys. And we have this exact situation since more than half a year with these posts.

Last edited:

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Steam is a platform.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It boggles the mind that you would think the issue here is not understanding why a dev would take an egs deal, or that this somehow needs elucidating from a biz insider.

This isn't brain surgery or even some high level business maneuvering. We know why devs take this deal, any 13 yo can understand why.

People have a problem with the practice of money hatting devs away from stores because it's pretty unprecedented in what has always been an open platform. Because Epic has some pretty shitty business practices because Epic has been hostile to the PC market place in the past because it's mouthpiece continues to be hostile to pc gamers. Because Epic has gone on record stating that customers, we, are not its first or second or third priority. People have an issue with these deals because the store lacks a ton of features we have come to expect from our PC games. People have a problem with these deals when they were promised a steam release, the steam platform was used by the developer as part of their initial marketing campaign, community or development efforts, and then suddenly the platform is dropped.

People have a problem when developers, instead of being transparent and understanding in how removing a game from steam can be an issue for some for a myriad reasons illustrated here and elsewhere, begin the conversation with hostility towards its customers, tone deafness towards their concerns, and in the case of many other devs, outright lie to customers by Claiming this is good for them.

I recall Big Giant Games going at length about how egs was the best place to engage their early access community, for fuck's sake.

We get it. You want money. Fine. Let us know and be upfront. Don't lie to us. We understand that sometimes these deals come late, in fact, it seems egs are specifically targeting games that have a presence on the steam store already, are highly wished for, have communities attached, etc, maybe take that into consideration when you take the deal. Make things right, Try to understand where we are coming from. Don't take it personally when we say we won't support you on egs.

People will complain, as they have a right to, but as we have seen, people move on. It's when the lies and condescending hostility come that things get out of control.

This paints a pretty one-sided view of the situation and completely ignores:
- People actively hostile to devs for changing ship to EGS, up to and including personal insults and death threats.
- People painting unambiguously positive actions taken by the EGS, like the reduced cut, discounts out of their own pocket, and free games every week, as negatives. I'm not talking "this action is good but doesn't outweight the bad that they've done" (which is perfectly fine), I'm talking "this action is actually bad because reasons".
- People routinely piling on other people more ambivalent about the EGS than themselves in this very forum.
- People in this thread literally saying that everyone that isn't against the Epic store is either immoral, clueless, or a troll.

You can say "I've not done any of the above", and that's fair, but then you don't get to lump together the actions of everyone that's less anti-EGS than you are. You can't have it both ways.

Last edited:

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Incorrect. Previously I could buy Phoenix Point where ever I chose. Now it's locked into one store exclusively for a year. So your wrong.

Jun 2, 2019
i hope I'm wrong as well but I feel it's pretty equivalent which is why I'm taking a stand for the egs store just as i did for gfw.

No way in hell is the EGS equivalent to GFWL. For starters, GFWL implied paying for playing online (that was short-lived, though), games would only use xinput and it was unstable as fuck, wich in a system that forced you to login after launched the game meant that you could be kicked out any time of something went wrong with the system. Half of the time you wouldn't be able to login either, be it for maintenance of just badly documented glitches with dozens of solutions for each one.

If you weren't lucky enough to login at the first try, you were in for a world of pain and troubleahooting

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
This paints a pretty one-sided view of the situation and completely ignores:
- People actively hostile to devs for changing ship to EGS, up to and including personal insults and death threats.
- People painting unambiguously positive actions taken by the EGS, like the reduced cut, discounts out of their own pocket, and free games every week, as negatives. I'm not talking "this action is good but doesn't outweight the bad that they've done" (which is perfectly fine), I'm talking "this action is actually bad because reasons".
- People routinely piling on other people more ambivalent about the EGS than themselves in this very forum.
- People in this thread literally saying that everyone that isn't against the Epic store is either immoral, clueless, or a troll.

You can say "I've not done any of the above", and that's fair, but then you don't get to lump together the actions of everyone that's less anti-EGS than you are. You can't have it both ways.

Im talking about the reaction here in resetera, is that not what this thread is about?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No way in hell is the EGS equivalent to GFWL. For starters, GFWL implied paying for playing online (that was short-lived, though), games would only use xinput and it was unstable as fuck, wich in a system that forced you to login after launched the game meant that you could be kicked out any time of something went wrong with the system. Half of the time you wouldn't be able to login either, be it for maintenance of just badly documented glitches with dozens of solutions for each one.

If you weren't lucky enough to login at the first try, you were in for a world of pain and troubleahooting
It's still close and what it means for games is just as bad. I don't trust epic at all and will not support the egs store.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ROTR was announced at the 2014 Xbox E3 Press Conference with no particular platforms associated. It was confirmed as an Xbox exclusive a few months later at Gamescom.

Exclusives bother me when they're on kinda deficient platforms that I don't care for, but I typically buy every platform so it's not that big of an issue. I understand why and how they happen though. FF7 is arguably the worst and most annoying one of this generation, since they aren't even letting Square-Enix produce a PC version of the game.
You don't know that for all we know it could be especially when the rest of them have come to pc.

It's nowhere close to GFWL.
yes it is. You just don't agree, I've played on gfw and what egs represents is exactly what gfw represented.

Jarhab

Alt account
Banned
Jul 26, 2019
When someone signs on to an EGS exclusive they're treated like they just stabbed consumers through the heart. Square signs up for an exclusive and "Well gee that's okay because some game from 22 years ago was also a Sony exclusive." Zero logical consistency here.

Like I said, people just carve out their own rules and exceptions depending on how they feel about the companies involved or how it affects them. They say it's about this or that principle, but suddenly the principle doesn't actually matter if it doesn't inconvenience them or benefit Epic. There's a 22 page thread about friggin' Ooblets......a game that nobody really cared about or was interested in, that could have quietly been exclusive to any other store and nobody would have cared much.

You're lumping different critics into the same group. The people who complain about EGS exclusives are a vocal minority of PC gamers. The people who care about FF7R are primarily console gamers. There's not a lot of overlap there, hence the logical inconsistency. We're talking about different groups of people. The vast majority of people interested in FF7R already own a PS4 and were going to play it on there anyway. The same isn't even remotely true of EGS' exclusives. Nobody would use EGS if they weren't forced to.

Personally, I don't really care about FF7R. I'm not a fan of JRPGs and I'm pretty sure FF7R will eventually come out on PC so if I do ever get interested in it, I can just buy it then. That said, I do think timed exclusives are shitty regardless of game or platform. I'm just not going to get into debates about a game or platform I don't really care about. Conversely, I care very much about PC gaming and I really don't like shitty business practices making it worse. EGS has undeniably made PC gaming worse for customers. Not only does it force them to use an inferior platform but it also hurts competition (EGS has far more restricted reseller support), which in turn hurts discounts. It also makes games unavailable to people who can't use credit cards or afford the extra payment processor fees that EGS charges in certain regions. Epic's exclusivity deals have eroded consumer trust in developers and crowdfunding.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

Sure. Saying businesses aren't your friends as your first statement really wasn't sending out the message you're claiming. Regarding the rest of your post, it's not worth addressing. It's just you putting words into my mouth and not once have I tried to convince you that you should boycott egs or that you're wrong for not caring. Just saying that some of you could be a bit more aware of the reaction it invokes. We see the same kind of behavior on topics about other matters too.

Just saying, on a topic created solely to talk about the discourse surrounding egs, your first revelation was to come in and tell us businesses weren't our friends of all things rather than discuss the actual discourse around egs. When you still wanted to keep on about what one should do when they don't care about a topic, others also told you that an opinion doesn't always need to be shared and this has been pointed out on non EGS topics as well. Hell, I specifically provided other examples. Anyhow, we're at the point where you're telling me how angry I am over all of this so it's not worth going in circles at this point.

Jun 2, 2019
He's a bit dense but I get what he's saying. EGS is a threat to the PC ecosystem just as how GFWL was. EGS is despicable, but for different reasons. That said, GFWL was fundamentally broken while EGS, as a launcher, isn't.

That I can get it (I don't agree anyway, GFWL was also a Troy horse to enter xinput as the control standard, to wich I opposed firmly) but my angle with GFWL comes from functionality and stability alone. I mean, at least I don't have to pray to the gods when I launch a egs game.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's a bit dense but I get what he's saying. EGS is a threat to the PC ecosystem just as how GFWL was. EGS is despicable, but for different reasons. That said, GFWL was fundamentally broken while EGS, as a launcher, isn't.
I'm not being dense at all, it's not my problem when I've said that exact thing.

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
EGS would probably get a PC version of FF7R anyway considering the support Epic Japan gives to developers using UE4 and is always promoted when Epic talks about Unreal Engine

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
The idea that the people who disagree with you just need to be better educated is exactly the kind of thing that leads to these toxic arguments.

I took a timed PlayStation exclusivity agreement on my last game. The idea that this decision was somehow immoral or in fact related to morality at all is one that I strongly disagree with. The Switch didn't exist at the time and Nintendo had a history of ignoring small indie devs. Microsoft had a history of ignoring us on the XBLIG. Sony was the only big platform that expressed interest in what we were doing. Not only that, but as the only programmer on our team, it's not like I was going to be able to handle multiple platforms simultaneously. We took the PlayStation timed exclusivity, got a lot of great support from Shane (our primary Sony contact), and eventually managed to get on the Switch as well (and are still working on getting on XBO). And in both the Nintendo & Microsoft instances, the delay was getting through the bureaucracy & logistics and had nothing to do with the timed exclusivity (which was long done by that point).

If you instantly classify everyone who disagrees with your stance as evil, stupid, or uninformed, you're not going to have a civil, productive conversation with them.
I understand your circumstances (That Sony was the only party that was interested, that you were the sole programmer), but I don't understand how they ethically justify an exclusivity agreement specifically. In your case it seems the agreement did no direct harm to consumers, which is good, but not a justification in itself. A state of de facto exclusivity given those circumstances makes total sense, and I don't think any reasonable person would criticize you for that, but it seems like your case is just the same as any other small scale developer/publisher who signs on to one of these agreements for survival or to secure their future. The ethics of that choice to sign on are real and complex, but my hope is that those making that choice are aware that they're contributing to a broader phenomenon that is sadly toxic.

It seems that many people take criticisms of the practice of exclusivity personally, and I can understand that this is especially intense for someone who's actually been involved in an agreement, but I had absolutely no intentions of making personal attacks, and believe that in general the best way to come at this issue is with empathy first. That's why I suggest a practice of education first, moderation only if necessary (barring obvious examples of extreme toxicity) in dealing with this issue on the forum.

My general approach is something you and Weltall Zero commented on, and I'd like to elaborate a bit later in responding to Weltall Zero's post.

Jarhab

Alt account
Banned
Jul 26, 2019
There was never a promise of ROTR for anything but Xbox, yet there were still months of furor over it. The Borderlands 3 announcement trailer has no Steam logos or promises, yet people still rage over its EGS-exclusivity.

Whatever ruleset you're personally operating from seems to differ from the community at large.

You seem to be ignoring precedent. All of the TR games before RoTR were multiplatform. Therefore, players expected RoTR to be multiplatform. All of the previous Borderlands games were available on Steam. Therefore, players expected Borderlands 3 to be on Steam. These expectations are not unreasonable. FF7R is a remake of a game that was a PS exclusive. FF is also a series that's historically been PS-centric. FF7-FF12 were all PS exclusives (barring the ports that came out years later). It's not really surprising that FF7R is a PS exclusive and it's safe to assume that most FF7 fans own a PS4 and were going to play the game there even if it was multiplatform. I'm not condoning Sony's exclusivity deal but I understand why it's been far less controversial than EGS' deals.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Should this lead to considering having an egs subsection in the forum?Or would this set a bad precedent?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
You seem to be ignoring precedent. All of the TR games before RoTR were multiplatform. Therefore, players expected RoTR to be multiplatform. All of the previous Borderlands games were available on Steam. Therefore, players expected Borderlands 3 to be on Steam. These expectations are not unreasonable. FF7R is a remake of a game that was a PS exclusive. FF is also a series that's historically been PS-centric. FF7-FF12 were all PS exclusives (barring the ports that came out years later). It's not really surprising that FF7R is a PS exclusive and it's safe to assume that most FF7 fans own a PS4 and were going to play the game there even if it was multiplatform. I'm not condoning Sony's exclusivity deal but I understand why it's been far less controversial than EGS' deals.
To be honest, most people just expect a 1 year exclusivity period on Sony / consoles as it is normally the standard of Square (as was the case with FFX-X2 HD, FF12 HD, and Octopath to put examples). It is annoying (and eye rolling) with the whole "console exclusive" spiel, but you gotta go with it.

Jarhab

Alt account
Banned
Jul 26, 2019

Sorry but your argument is asinine. On PC, the term "platform" specifically refers to software platforms. Windows is a platform. Linux is a platform. macOS is a platform. Steam is a platform. GOG is a platform. EGS is a platform. PC gaming is essentially an amalgamation of different platforms. As for EGS making PC gaming worse, I'll just copy and paste my response to a different comment:

EGS has undeniably made PC gaming worse for customers. Not only does it force them to use an inferior platform but it also hurts competition (EGS has far more restricted reseller support), which in turn hurts discounts. It also makes games unavailable to people who can't use credit cards or afford the extra payment processor fees that EGS charges in certain regions. Epic's exclusivity deals have eroded consumer trust in developers and crowdfunding.

Nobody is saying that Steam should be mandatory for all PC games. We're saying that Steam should be an option for all PC games, in addition to GOG, Itch.io and even EGS. Consumer choice is the key here. Let people use their platform of choice. Don't force consumers to use a platform that's objectively inferior to its competitors.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I'm comparing it to GFWL because that was the last time the PC gaming community basically set itself on fire over another company threatening the status quo. GFWL was actually asking players to pay money to play online, though.
Functionally gfwl was certainly worse. But what each represents is pretty bad and both are bad in different ways.

The real shame is that it didn't have to be. But the store was launched with nothing but contempt for the public and is certainly run in a similar fashion.

One cannot just let it go when the people running the store are out on twitter publishing trumpian style fallacies and expect anybody intelligent to just swallow it.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Whats fucked up is that there's some key cases where the intent of a poster could easily be inferred as trolling when considering patterns and such.

Like we really don't know the difference between a 'toxic' someone who is threadbare with frustration making reasoned and logically consistent posts, and a 'toxic' someone who is breezily antagonizing the other?

As far as ideas on how to change things, I would only speak to whats left of the pc community here as its apparently in our hands at this point. Any effective solutions for the pc community will be necessarily met with hostility because it will result in trolling being less easy or effective.

I imagine solutions to look like better habits among pcera that could starve trolls and jam runarounds. This would involve more challenges to posts that actually fall on our side of the argument. Ask people to stop taking shitty bait. Quote and critique the best posts on your own side. Maybe if you are in the mood to quote a shitty post, maybe get one off our own side and state your dissaproval of it making us all look bad. I should stop and ask of this sounds intuituve to anyone else...

Last edited:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FF7R is a remake of a game that was a PS exclusive. FF is also a series that's historically been PS-centric.
Tomb Raider didn't really go true multiplatform until the 360 era. Up through the PS2 years games in the series regularly ended up as timed exclusives or console exclusives for Playstation.

Mainline Final Fantasy has been multiplatform for roughly ten years -- almost exactly the same amount of time that Borderlands has been multiplatform (FF13 and Borderlands 1 were released two months apart). So if it's logical to expect Borderlands on Steam and logical to expect ROTR on PS4.......then it's logical to expect Final Fantasy 7 on Xbox and/or PC. I'm honestly not even sure why the vague notion of "expectations" or historical precedent is a fair way to judge things.

You're making ostensibly the same argument that I am though, I think. There's no true moral principle guiding all this criticism -- people just moan about whatever affects them and their preferences, making up a fluid & nebulous ad hoc set of rules about why one exclusive is acceptable and this other one isn't. I kinda just wish the pretense of righteousness would get dropped because there's all these ridiculous logical backflips that justify fragmentation or elimination of consumer choice when other games make exclusive deals.
You don't know that for all we know it could be especially when the rest of them have come to pc.
EGS would probably get a PC version of FF7R anyway considering the support Epic Japan gives to developers using UE4 and is always promoted when Epic talks about Unreal Engine
It's fine for someone to suggest that I should get over it and wait for a PC port of FF7R. There is probably a PC version in the works (I hope I hope I hope). I may end up waiting, I may just suck it up and buy the PS4 version when it releases next March.

The difference is that if I told somebody "Why not just wait for the Steam version of Shenmue 3?" or "Go buy Borderlands on Steam after 6 months" I'd get immediately shit-on and dogpiled. That's the civility problem that is at the heart of this thread.

Jarhab

Alt account
Banned
Jul 26, 2019
Tomb Raider didn't really go true multiplatform until the 360 era. Up through the PS2 years games in the series regularly ended up as timed exclusives or console exclusives for Playstation.

Mainline Final Fantasy has been multiplatform for roughly ten years -- almost exactly the same amount of time that Borderlands has been multiplatform (FF13 and Borderlands 1 were released two months apart). So if it's logical to expect Borderlands on Steam and logical to expect ROTR on PS4.......then it's logical to expect Final Fantasy 7 on Xbox and/or PC. I'm honestly not even sure why the vague notion of "expectations" or historical precedent is a fair way to judge things.

You're making ostensibly the same argument that I am though, I think. There's no true moral principle guiding all this criticism -- people just moan about whatever affects them and their preferences, making up a fluid & nebulous ad hoc set of rules about why one exclusive is acceptable and this other one isn't. I kinda just wish the pretense of righteousness would get dropped because there's all these ridiculous logical backflips that justify fragmentation or elimination of consumer choice when other games make exclusive deals.

It's fine for someone to suggest that I should get over it and wait for a PC port of FF7R. There is probably a PC version in the works (I hope I hope I hope). I may end up waiting, I may just suck it up and buy the PS4 version when it releases next March.

The difference is that if I told somebody "Why not just wait for the Steam version of Shenmue 3?" or "Go buy Borderlands on Steam after 6 months" I'd get immediately shit-on and dogpiled. That's the civility problem that is at the heart of this thread.

Your TR history is inaccurate. The first TR launched simultaneously on Saturn, PSX and PC in the U.S. TR2 launched simultaneously on PSX and PC. Rinse and repeat for every TR game, with occasional delays of a week or two for the PC versions. Note that those delays had nothing to do with timed exclusivity and were simply the result of publishers being afraid of PC piracy affecting launch sales on consoles. Regardless, TR as a series is historically associated with PC and PS (because those are the only platforms that have all of the games). So when MS made the DLC for TRU Xbox-exclusive and made RoTR a timed exclusive, that naturally pissed a lot of people off. I'm still pissed off that the TRU DLC isn't on PC.

And yes, it's entirely fair to judge things based on expectations. That's how judgment works. FF7 is associated with the PSX. Everyone who loves FF7 played it on the PSX. These are the people most interested in a remake of FF7. Therefore, the fact that FF7 is exclusive to PS4 won't really bother these people. That doesn't mean timed exclusivity isn't a shitty practice. It just means there won't be a lot of controversy over this particular instance of it.

You're right in that people only care about stuff that affects them. If you don't care about Steam's features and only view it as a launcher, then it's understandable that you wouldn't take issue with EGS exclusivity. If you don't care about anti-consumer business practices or suppression of competition, etc, then it's understandable that you wouldn't take issue with exclusivity deals in general. However, it's completely understandable that PC gamers would be pissed off about EGS exclusivity. It's okay for people to be vocally critical about specific issues that affect them.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
I would hope developers feel customers are entitled to their games otherwise what are they making games for? Epic payouts?

I'll be disappointed in a Dev taking the deal because it means epic will continue to keep making the deals but I won't hold it against them...and yeah frankly it sucks waiting of course lol.

I'll be getting control on PC in a year (on whatever platform has the best deal) and play it on Xbox when it's out at launch.

Sweeny is not an alt right guy no but is that the only way we need to not support people?
Wanting people to buy and play your game is different from feeling like they're entitled to it. An entitlement is something you deserve without reciprocity or condition attached. If that were the case we'd be entitled to free games on any platform we so chose. The entire industry works under various layers of restricted access where you "earn" the ability to play a game by paying for access in some form. That might be hardware, the software itself, a monthly sub for an online game, microtransactions for F2Ps, etc.. The industry exists to provide entertainment in exchange for money, not to provide entertainment and hope money comes along with it somehow.

Gates will always frustrate people. This is why we see all the meltdown threads on forums like this for console exclusives. People hate having paywalls put between them and content that interests them, but companies keep doing it because that is a viable part of the business models that have been constructed in this industry.

The alt-right example was as to when you would refuse to support someone on moral ground by association, for example I'll probably never play A Hat in Time because of their non-response to including JonTron in it (coupled with some dubious behavior by a member of their team regarding other people's work).

Sweeney's brand of shitbaggery isn't of the order that, at least to me, taints all who are willing to work with him, as I suspect he's par for the course compared to most major publisher executives, just without the MBA where he learned the fine art of keeping his mouth shut and a better PR team who know how to silence him before he pours gasoline on the fire.

Basically when is someone distasteful enough to where simple association/partnership merits response.

It may not even be a harsh reception on other platforms but general indifference. Even a good game might have a short lifespan in terms of consumer mindshare. The new hotness is always changing. Release a game on another platform a year later, and it's competing with other games that are fresher in people's minds. Now let's assume that the games are just average. Release an average game a year later, and who's really paying attention to it? People will already have dozens of reviews to look at from when the game originally released so there's even less of a chance for it to be successful on a different platform. The Epic money might help the devs initially, but they better be pleased with launch sales because late ports rarely do that well with how fast the market moves on.
Sure, the fact that a title is no longer new is obviously going to have a negative impact on some of these games. Thats a risk of any exclusivity deal. The post I'd quoted though suggested that user reviews would be punitive specifically because of the exclusivity though.

I'd also say this is probably why we're seeing most of these games also hit consoles and various other PC storefronts. The bets have already been well hedged. The exceptions to that rule are probably developers who have something of a track record picking up sales on re-release. I suspect that Bastion's various ports have done well for SuperGiant for example, so Hades going to multiple stores and probably platforms when it hits the one year window and finally leaves early access would probably work out fine for them if people don't hold taking Epic's money against them.
Sweeney is a shit bag and consistently proves it, he just might not be an alt right shitbag. I'm under no obligation to buy their game when it goes none exclusive. The fallout from how exclusives do after they come out to other stores will be interesting in the long term.
There are no obligations here, sure. You don't need to buy and publishers/developers don't need to make it available in the specific format you desire.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
OP: I´m sorry about what happened to you.

I´m not going to talk about all the stuff on all internet. Gonna talk about this forum: The hostility to the PC community is going too high, even i feel uncomfortable to participate now. I always liked to be in the old place and here but since weeks everything is getting weird and some stuff painfull to read as a pc gamer.

I don´t see it getting better tho, but i do hope to be because i dont really want to leave 🤷‍♀️

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No the problem of the thread is that third party exclusives like epic is doing is an issue and always have been. You might not see the difference but it is different.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
That I can get it (I don't agree anyway, GFWL was also a Troy horse to enter xinput as the control standard, to wich I opposed firmly) but my angle with GFWL comes from functionality and stability alone. I mean, at least I don't have to pray to the gods when I launch a egs game.
The one game I played on GFWL actually worked perfectly fine and didn't cause me any problem.
The one game I tried to play on EGS wouldn't work at all for me, because it wouldn't recognize my controller whatsoever. I literally couldn't play it.

So, based on my anecdote, GFWL is fine and EGS is broken. 🤷‍♀️
But, you know, I wouldn't extrapolate my personal experience as a general rule, and wouldn't tell people "GFWL is fine, you're just have a tantrum" and so on.

Jun 2, 2019
The one game I played on GFWL actually worked perfectly fine and didn't cause me any problem.
The one game I tried to play on EGS wouldn't work at all for me, because it wouldn't recognize my controller whatsoever. I literally couldn't play it.

So, based on my anecdote, GFWL is fine and EGS is broken. 🤷‍♀️
But, you know, I wouldn't extrapolate my personal experience as a general rule, and wouldn't tell people "GFWL is fine, you're just have a tantrum" and so on.

Well, we have a thread opened about GFWL. You can take a look over there

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
you should read the posts in the thread.
OP wants to discuss the toxicity of the discussion of both sides about Epic. Guy you replied to said the issue was civility of the discussion. And then you said no, the real problem of the thread is Epic and said that poster was wrong. I'd say that poster had more to do with the original point of the thread then you.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP wants to discuss the toxicity of the discussion of both sides about Epic. Guy you replied to said the issue was civility of the discussion. And then you said no, the real problem of the thread is Epic and said that poster was wrong. I'd say that poster had more to do with the original point of the thread then you.
so in other words you are not reading the thread and throwing accusations. That same poster was saying things that were not accurate and he's been corrected multiple times on.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Whats fucked up is that there's some key cases where the intent of a poster could easily be inferred as trolling when considering patterns and such.

Like we really don't know the difference between a 'toxic' someone who is threadbare with frustration making reasoned and logically consistent posts, and a 'toxic' someone who is breezily antagonizing the other?

As far as ideas on how to change things, I would only speak to whats left of the pc community here as its apparently in our hands at this point. Any effective solutions for the pc community will be necessarily met with hostility because it will result in trolling being less easy or effective.

I imagine solutions to look like better habits among pcera that could starve trolls and jam runarounds. This would involve more challenges to posts that actually fall on our side of the argument. Ask people to stop taking shitty bait. Quote and critique the best posts on your own side. Maybe if you are in the mood to quote a shitty post, maybe get one off our own side and state your dissaproval of it making us all look bad. I should stop and ask of this sounds to intuituve to anyone else...
Personally I feel like that's largely been my view regarding EGS.

I'll buy a select handful of titles on EGS to support a few key developers who's success I rank higher than restricting support to EGS, but otherwise my goal in these threads has always been to point out the logical fallacies made on both sides.

The "its just another launcher" crowd is typically not worth engaging with because it is just shitposting 90% of the time.

Those strongly opposed to EGS I go back and forth with the most because to me the logical imperatives to keep in mind here are:
1. Any independent developer taking the money is likely doing it with good reason. This shouldn't be held against them any more than signing an exclusive publishing deal with another platform holder would be. In fact at the end of the day this is a better result for both developer and consumer as the developer still owns their IP and gets their marketplace freedom in 12 months while consumers will get these games on other stores in 12 months.

2. EA Origin, uPlay, and Battle.net aren't absolved from being problematic just because they're fueled primarily by EA, Ubi or Activision Blizzard content We've seen publishing deals result in content being locked to those storefronts too and for far longer. The march towards a growing collection of walled gardens is going to be a long term concern in the PC market. Epic adding one more name to the list isn't what is problematic about EGS' approach.

3. The problems with Epic/EGS are (again, in my eyes) as follows:
- Rampant dishonesty in purpose/message. PR is PR but the entire narrative of taking down the "Steam Monopoly" at a time when most major third parties are moving into their own walled gardens is laughable to anyone actually paying attention.
- An ignorant dismissal as to what the ~30% cut charged by all other major digital distro platforms (not just Steam) gets developers.
- A likely false narrative that 12.5% is sustainable for anyone who doesn't have something like Fortnite funneling money in the back door.
- Consistent failures to deliver on launcher feature milestones they've promised, and this leading to a general regression over even other non-Steam launchers to the end user experience.
- An either willful blindness or poorly disguised antagonism in how Epic has handled multiple exclusive deals with games already Kickstarted for Steam release, listed on Steam, or even pre-sold on Steam.
- The fact that at least one major publisher (Ubisoft) is basically just taking Epic's money while accelerating their move into their own walled garden.

4. Choosing to boycott EGS or not is a personal choice based on how much this shit matters to you and how much the above offends you, not a need to avert some kind of global catastrophe to all PC gaming or to prevent EGS from taking over all PC digital distro. Valve hasn't responded to the EGS exclusive strategy because to date it probably hasn't hurt their bottom line. Even if EGS did take marketshare from Steam in a somewhat meaningful chunk it would still be a shrinking part of the PC games market as the major publishers move to their own stores. This is not a life or death thing. This is about voting with your wallet as to how storefronts should be managed publicly, which is everyone's right to decide how and when to do so.

The best outcome (again, my opinion) here is that consumers generally do just that, vote with their wallets to support/not support where they wish, but that in the end EGS finds a relatively small foothold (because they're going to carve out something) and after a few years realize that the exclusivity push is simply not worth the money they're spending on it. Then they'll settle in as basically Epic's version of Battle.net with a weird legacy catalog of games EGS sold when they were trying to be more than that.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
so in other words you are not reading the thread and throwing accusations. That same poster was saying things that were not accurate and he's been corrected multiple times on.
The posters point was in the last few pages that people view things differently based on how they view the company and how it specifically affects them and will let one company do similar things that others would get reemed for. I can read , cool it with the condescension. Your statement in a thread about toxicity that a poster saying the problem was with civility, to say it isn't and it all about the issues with Epic is weird. It shouldn't matter what side people are on, they shouldn't be treating people badly. I'm not sure what the original post I replied to's point was, when this thread is an ideal place to speak about such things

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Harassment is never acceptable, OP should have never had to go through what he did.
and every discussion about any topic must never be this heated, but every EGS topic some people just enter to seek a reaction, we gone round and round again of "just another launcher", and dismissive agrguments against people like me who has problems with what Epic is doing.

One of the things I most dislike about the whole situation with EGS is the trickle down economics.

This is whats I paid for The Division 2 on Nuuvem before it got removed:
SKSX4aW.png

And this is what they are charging now, after the Epic deal, for the same edition of Watch Dogs Legion:
Uplay
LZy4GnT.png

EGS
C24vXv2.png

EGS is hurting me, so I can't abide.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The posters point was in the last few pages that people view things differently based on how they view the company and how it specifically affects them and will let one company do similar things that others would get reemed for. I can read , cool it with the condescension. Your statement in a thread about toxicity that a poster saying the problem was with civility, to say it isn't and it all about the issues with Epic is weird. It shouldn't matter what side people are on, they shouldn't be treating people badly. I'm not sure what the original post I replied to's point was, when this thread is an ideal place to speak about such things
You coming in here with your accusations is exactly the problem. I never once insulted them but when they are presenting false information it's not going to help anything.