• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I think most of you guys are confusing art style with graphic quality. Sure, you might think the clean style they are going for looks ugly (not the biggest fan either) but lighting and particle effects look fine. Nothing mind blowing but there's nothing wrong with it.

People should stop nit picking the ugliest parts of a bugged demo.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I've decided to post a couple of Crackdown shots running on X, just to make a visual comparison to show off how little has changed.

I don't know about you all in here but I can barely tell the difference.

All I do know is that next Friday CD3 is getting played until I find every green shining orb in that city.

To my eyes those look a gen apart. And it's running at 30 fps on Xbox.
I loved the first Crackdown and felt Crackdown 2 was terrible. I think I know where this will land, in my opinion at least.
Hope I'm wrong.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
We need to talk about how I'm going to fucking slay this game when it releases.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I think it looks great? Not every game needs "to break the barriers between graphics and human interaction in ways never seen". Idk, it looks great and it looks fun so eh

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
What bothers me more than the tame visuals is the architechture. It looks like one of those VR like parcours practice levels some games have, not like a world that makes sense or where people would actually live.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Microsofts output after the One X helps discussion either. Because it's just disappointing to have them release the most powerful console ever and then there's only like 1 game release after that console comes out that is a graphical tour de force (Forza Horizon 4).

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
They actually released some early official screens too.

crackdown-3-agent-2png-73e76b.png

crackdown-3-agentpng-73e76a.png

crackdown-3-agent-citypng-73e76c.png

Here's how those fare versus the most recent screens (Jan 19 and E3 2018).

468545.jpg

468543.jpg

crackdown-3-new-providence-1528681012104.png

crackdown-3-orb-1528681012104.png

Those are screenshots from a CGi trailer.... which is almost like the extreme opposite

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
I dunno, I saw the recent footage across some YT channels last week and while it's no looker with a wow factor (beyond destruction in MP) I think it looks serviceable overall and even nice in spots with the neon lights.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
You're missing the point here, I'm not saying the two are identical, this much should be clear.

But go ahead and add a bit of bloom, neon and better textures in the original Crackdown and you might understand where I'm coming from.

I don't think I'll ever "understand" where you're coming from because you're opinion is hyperbolic.

You haven't noticed the wonky physics? I can't gif right now, but I can share some moments from the previews later tomorrow.

I haven't... I've seen some Ragdoll, which is par for the course. But I haven't seen any physics that i'd say were bad or detracted from the experience.

Let me see if I can simplify my issue with the artstyle. It seems to be stuck between two different art styles and the end result doesn't look particular good.

Again, your opinion on the artstyle is 100% subjective - but an artstyle isnt beholden to a time period. If you saw a cell-shaded game that "did it right" by your tastes, you i doubt you'd be arguing that it looks like a last gen game - even if it was less visually demanding.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I appreciate these games are all doing different things (granted Crackdowns destruction is completely pared back in its SP campaign), it is still somewhat strange that even a 5-year-old open-world launch window title like InFamous looks so much better, and I'd argue the same for Sunset Overdrive too. And CD3 has been in development for how many years by a team of how many people?

Whilst Crackdown as a franchise has never exactly been much of a looker, it is still somewhat perplexing this new title doesn't look far better than it does. The assumption was that the delay(s) would lend to a much better looking and far more polished title, but that doesn't seem to have been the case (unless things drastically change by release day). Like with Sea of Thieves and its lack of content, you're sort of left wondering why the game has taken as long as it has to develop. Presumably, it had a pretty troubled development, and the cloud-based R&D and testing also complicated things.

jaJXwVX.gif

Ll1jS79.gif

vWP6cJ8.gif

Still, the downgrade to the visuals, destruction, world size, physics etc might not necessarily mean the game itself isn't more fun. Despite the somewhat muted previews, the jury is still out on that front. I guess we'll have to wait for reviews to get a better idea of how it plays or just how good it is or isn't, but I'll be trying it either way thanks to Game Pass.
Man, I disagree completely, Crackdown 3 looks far more visually appealing than that...

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Crackdown. If it plays anything like the first game it'll be tons of fun, so I don't really care how it looks.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It has always given me a high budget XBLA title vibe, shame that things have had to be toned down further but the visuals were never the selling point. The destruction downgrade sucks though.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I appreciate these games are all doing different things (granted Crackdowns destruction is completely pared back in its SP campaign), it is still somewhat strange that even a 5-year-old open-world launch window title like InFamous looks so much better, and I'd argue the same for Sunset Overdrive too. And CD3 has been in development for how many years by a team of how many people?

Whilst Crackdown as a franchise has never exactly been much of a looker, it is still somewhat perplexing this new title doesn't look far better than it does. The assumption was that the delay(s) would lend to a much better looking and far more polished title, but that doesn't seem to have been the case (unless things drastically change by release day). Like with Sea of Thieves and its lack of content, you're sort of left wondering why the game has taken as long as it has to develop. Presumably, it had a pretty troubled development, and the cloud-based R&D and testing also complicated things.

jaJXwVX.gif

Ll1jS79.gif

vWP6cJ8.gif

Still, the downgrade to the visuals, destruction, world size, physics etc might not necessarily mean the game itself isn't more fun. Despite the somewhat muted previews, the jury is still out on that front. I guess we'll have to wait for reviews to get a better idea of how it plays or just how good it is or isn't, but I'll be trying it either way thanks to Game Pass.

I'm not sure why people keep referencing dev time this games visuals.

Its well documented why this game took so long to deliver- cloud processing... They are literally doing something in this game for which the technology did not exist. Pioneering new tech is hard, especially when your chief contributor gets purchased by a competitor.

Then once they got the tech working, they had to build a game around it that was actually fun- which resulted in a large change in scope.

I'm not sure why people thing the number of people involved + the length of time should equate to better visuals ... As if visuals had anything to do with the dev hurdles. As if the Multiplayer delay would allow them to recreate all their assets and rendering tech.

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I don't mind graphics. The problem here for me is the game looks barebone. It is xbox 360 depth type of open world gameplay.

bak4fun

Oct 25, 2017
I really get a Agents of Mayhem vibe and I liked Agents of Mayhem enough to finish it so that's not really a negative.

It also looks like a Crackdown game or at least what a sequel to CD1 is on a modern console. I think that the fact that it's a first party title and the way it was reveal are creating expectation far beyond what the project is.
It's like expecting revolutionnary story telling and top of the line graphics in EDF....

I just hope that the game runs ok on Xb1

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I don't think I'll ever "understand" where you're coming from because you're opinion is hyperbolic.

This is your failure then. I've briefly explained why I think it looks outdated. It's not so hard to understand, especially when I'm not the only one.

I haven't... I've seen some Ragdoll, which is par for the course. But I haven't seen any physics that i'd say were bad or detracted from the experience.

I'll post some gifs later today, if I get the time to create them that is.

Again, your opinion on the artstyle is 100% subjective - but an artstyle isnt beholden to a time period. If you saw a cell-shaded game that "did it right" by your tastes, you i doubt you'd be arguing that it looks like a last gen game - even if it was less visually demanding.

My whole point is subjective. Not sure why you're stating the obvious.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
This is your failure then. I've briefly explained why I think it looks outdated. It's not so hard to understand, especially when I'm not the only one.

I'll post some gifs later today, if I get the time to create them that is.

My whole point is subjective. Not sure why you're stating the obvious.

I'm saying your "explanations" don't hold up to simple scrutiny - other people agreeing with you doesn't change that.

I'm also I'm saying an artstyle doesn't have an expiration date on it. you can dislike their use of a certain artstyle, but that doesn't invalidate obvious technical improvements over time.

I'd love to see those gifs. But keep watching previews to see if I can spot any physics issues and I'll post what I find.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
Not trying to bait, but it's hard to watch XB hardcores try and defend a straight up ugly game. It actually looks like a 360 upscale. And that's fine, and I'm sure some people will like the gameplay loop. But I'm continually surprised at the lengths people will go to to defend their console of choice.

NDWest14

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Here's a last gen open world PC game like Sleeping Dogs. And this game was never an extremely high budget game either like GTA V or something. I don't think it's trolling to say that Sleeping Dogs and Crackdown 3 are at least in the same ballpark visually. (Credit to deejae on Flickr)
16280636100_749161edf2_k_d.jpg

Every time someone brings up sleeping dogs I'm reminded how we'll never get sleeping dogs 2 and boy.....boy oh boy does that ruin an afternoon. Even in it's state of release it was great, imagine what a proper budget would do to it.

Nov 23, 2017
Not trying to bait, but it's hard to watch XB hardcores try and defend a straight up ugly game. It actually looks like a 360 upscale. And that's fine, and I'm sure some people will like the gameplay loop. But I'm continually surprised at the lengths people will go to to defend their console of choice.
I don't have an Xbox, but this is bullshit 100 percent. Go look at a 360 game.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Those are screenshots from a CGi trailer.... which is almost like the extreme opposite

CGI trailer? Pretty much most sources stated it was a gameplay trailer, including Gamespot etc. I think you might be confusing the 2014 announcement trailer with the 2015 gameplay trailer. These screenshots are from the Gamescom one, the implication being that they're from the SP, whilst all the destruction was from the multiplayer (as stated in the trailer whilst showing the destruction).

There is actually some visible aliasing and geometric blocky edging on round shapes etc (usually due to a lower polygonal budget from limitations in in-engine rendering), and even the character model looks in-engine. It looks like it's from a down sampled in-game cutscene or something.

Last edited:

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I think the game looks nice, and the destruction is pretty crazy. Most importantly it looks fun to play.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Here's s little snippet from someone who played the game:

"I got some early access so my impressions are as follows:

For Single Player, the game runs silky smooth and is a blast to play, story is a little silly but that seems to be what they were going for in the commercials anyway, the gunplay is very good despite this being an open-adventure game, and part of the single player also has destruction in some areas so that's cool.

Multiplayer is iffy since I played it early and before many multitudes of people were online, which will happen when this game comes out, but from what I played the destruction is pretty decent. It's not going to be blowing up the whole city good but the destruction is not scripted and it also destroys based on where you shoot as well. So the destruction you will see is clearly had a lot of work put into it.

Now the game ran at 60fps straight in MP and the graphics were really good. The lighting and animations are also superb. However keep in mind there were not hundreds of thousands of people online. So if it managed to maintain this performance when everyone jumps on the game this will receive great praise.

My biggest issue with the game is that some maps won't be finished before launch so we'll have to wait for more but what we get by default isn't exactly small either.

But one big surprise is the games SP is quite long a good 12 or so hours of gameplay and that's not going to include some of the optional missions. So if you've wanted a good single-player game on Xbox since Quantum Break this will be your game, not to mention it's the better game of the two as well, at least to me. "

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
CGI trailer? Pretty much most sources stated it was a gameplay trailer, including Gamespot etc. I think you might be confusing the 2014 announcement trailer with the 2015 gameplay trailer. These screenshots are from the Gamescom one, the implication being that they're from the SP, whilst all the destruction was from the multiplayer (as stated in the trailer whilst showing the destruction).

There is actually some visible aliasing and geometric blocky edging on round shapes etc (usually due to a lower polygonal budget from limitations in in-engine rendering), and even the character model looks in-engine. It looks like it's from a down sampled in-game cutscene or something.

I'm even more confused now, those screenshots are all from 2018?
Which are the early ones?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Now the game ran at 60fps straight in MP and the graphics were really good. The lighting and animations are also superb. However keep in mind there were not hundreds of thousands of people online. So if it managed to maintain this performance when everyone jumps on the game this will receive great praise.

Crackdown multiplayer is 5 v. 5. Having hundreds of thousands of players online won't affect the frame rate in any way ... every match will have ten players in it.

Also, Crackdown is 60fps on PC, but 30 fps on console, so I assume that your friend must have been playing it on PC.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm even more confused now, those screenshots are all from 2018?
Which are the early ones?

The first three I posted were from the 2015 Gamescom Gameplay trailer, and the last four were from E3 2018 and during the preview embargo last week.

Wasn't the whole point of the destruction that it was supposed to use cloud computing to help push all that. Is that even happening in the final game?

In the initial gameplay trailer it was stated that cloud performance would add 20x the Xbox One's computational power. I don't know what sort of Cloud compute is taking place in the current build, but it certainly doesn't look anything close to what was originally advertised or stated.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the whole point of the destruction that it was supposed to use cloud computing to help push all that. Is that even happening in the final game?

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

"I got some early access so my impressions are as follows:

For Single Player, the game runs silky smooth and is a blast to play, story is a little silly but that seems to be what they were going for in the commercials anyway, the gunplay is very good despite this being an open-adventure game, and part of the single player also has destruction in some areas so that's cool.

Multiplayer is iffy since I played it early and before many multitudes of people were online, which will happen when this game comes out, but from what I played the destruction is pretty decent. It's not going to be blowing up the whole city good but the destruction is not scripted and it also destroys based on where you shoot as well. So the destruction you will see is clearly had a lot of work put into it.

My biggest issue with the game is that some maps won't be finished before launch so we'll have to wait for more but what we get by default isn't exactly small either.

But one big surprise is the games SP is quite long a good 12 or so hours of gameplay and that's not going to include some of the optional missions. So if you've wanted a good single-player game on Xbox since Quantum Break this will be your game, not to mention it's the better game of the two as well, at least to me. "
Sounds great, I'm really happy to see that the game is a solid length. the 15th can't come soon enough!

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Crackdown multiplayer is 5 v. 5. Having hundreds of thousands of players online won't affect the frame rate in any way ... every match will have ten players in it.

Also, Crackdown is 60fps on PC, but 30 fps on console, so I assume that your friend must have been playing it on PC.
I think the frame rates wont be affected by the Cloud stuff because its being streamed. So the FPS should be pretty steady all the way around as they will be handled locally.

Oct 26, 2017
Usually Dreamcastguy is pretty alright but in a new video of his about Crackdown and without having played it is very disappointed. He also thought destruction would be in SP. They never ever claimed this.

Sure it would be cool to destroy some structures but it would ruin the purpose of Crackdown when it comes to orbs. Would be so easy to get them.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both these games came out almost 5 years ago and have wildly better visuals than what we've seen of Crackdown 3. There's no real excuse for how poor this game looks.

Infamous: Second Son (2014)
Infamous-Second-Son.png

Sunset Overdrive (2014)
sunsetoverdrivefeat.jpg
This just reminds me of how much I miss Infamous Second Son. Was so visually delightful. Something about the way that game looks makes me feel so at peace.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Is this a Xbox 360 game? Where are the dynamic shadows? Ambient occlusion? I don't even need to compare it with earlier footage. It simply doesn't look good at all.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly not a looker, we've already established that. But even from a purely gameplay perspective of what they've already shown, it leaves a lot to be desired imo.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
I know some people like Forbes articles, so here is my contribution to the thread.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...se-xboxs-crackdown-3-still-looks-abysmal/amp/

The images in the article highlight the OP, but here are some snippets:

But I am not exaggerating when I say that I have not seen a single second of Crackdown 3 footage in the last few years that has looked good, and recent videos are somehow looking even worse as more about the game is revealed.

I don't even know how to describe what I'm seeing in this IGN demo video. Apparently the cloud destruction is so taxing that every map has to be just a series of geometric shapes rather than anything resembling the city of the open world mode, and the result is something like looks like a VR game gone wrong at best, or a barely scraped-together tech demo at worst. Even the destruction itself is underwhelming and weird and not even on par with what we see in Battlefield games or in ancient titles like Red Faction, from what I can tell.

The good news about Crackdown 3 is that it will be a part of the Xbox Game Pass, meaning it's free for everyone who has that (and if you own an Xbox One, you should have it). That means you can essentially try it out for free without having to shell out $60 for a copy. And I can't imagine risking $60 based on what's been shown here for not only years of early development, but now here in the literal launch month. The only good thing I've seen that's even adjacent to this game is the involvement of Terry Crews, which I imagine will not be enough to save it.

Personally, I only played Crackdown 1 and it was fun back in the day, but I never liked the look of Crackdown 2 and this far into the generation Crackdown 3 does not look appealing to me either. If I was looking to play this due to looks/graphics, I would not be impressed. However, if the game is fun, the game is fun, but it's not a $60 purchase type of fun for me.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first three I posted were from the 2015 Gamescom Gameplay trailer, and the last four were from E3 2018 and during the preview embargo last week.

In the initial gameplay trailer it was stated that cloud performance would add 20x the Xbox One's computational power. I don't know what sort of Cloud compute is taking place in the current build, but it certainly doesn't look anything close to what was originally advertised or stated.

If anything that video just shows how massive the downgrade is across the board.