• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't understand the praise for Horizon Chase Turbo. It has no track design to speak of.

As a fan of the original Top Gear I find the game to be great. I don't think it's all that difficult either, there are small things I wish they would change if they ever made a sequel, but I really love the game.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Gonna chime in and say that Horizon Chase Turbo is an average game. I was super stoked at first but it felt samey by the 3rd or 4th location. I know what it's trying to do, and it really hits that nostalgia chord but these type of early arcade racers don't cut it for me anymore. Hopefully Hotshots is better about track design when I grab it later down the line

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
I set up my old 360 today to play PGR again... You can list as many arcade racers as you want but nothing else comes close to PGR, there's no game released after 2007 with the same formula that made PGR perfection to me, the Kudos system, the tight city street tracks, the standard road cars with no tuning (aka balanced multiplayer racing) etc, at least I can still pay PGR though.

I replayed PGR3 recently and was surprised that it is not that good (and really ugly, 1024x600 looks awful on a modern tv).
PGR4 is great. There is nothing like it (and no, DC is not even close).
Too bad it will never be BC. However, there is some progress on the emulation front.

Last edited:

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Op has great taste. MPR is an absolute blast to play. Arcade racers should have still a place, and if new games aren't viable, at least remake or a few of them.
My wet dream is a Motorstom collection for ps4, well now ps5

FlanjeUK

Apr 20, 2019
I replayed PGR3 recently and was surprised that it is not that good.
PGR4 is great. There is nothing like it (and no, DC is not even close).
I played them both the other day too, and I was surprised how good PGR3 still felt to play 15 years later, PGR4 felt boring in comparison and the bikes never added anything. The only thing 4 has over 3 is more weather options and higher resolution, 3 has a much better sense of speed and handling model in my opinion. To b honest PGR2 is still the best PGR by absolutely miles and the best online racing experience I've personally ever had. RIP Cat and Mouse!

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
Was excited about Hotshots, unfortunately it feels as flat as its visuals.

I love the visual style, but the music is terrible, sense of speed is lacking in every camera angle except bonnet, drifting feels awkward (maybe it's me? probably), tracks are way way waaaaay wide, rubber banding is off the charts and winning is a matter of saving a couple of nitros for the last straight and firing it up, since you are always at striking distance (at least for the first 2 classes).

Honestly, at least we got it through Gamepass, would have regretted the purchase pretty instantly.

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Wipeout, Motorstorm, Project Gotham Racing, Ridge Racer, Blur, Burnout, Sega Rally, Wave Race.

That's a list of IP that has had no new entries this gen outside of 2 remasters (Wipeout Omega and Burnout Paradise) and with no known plans for future releases. Inclusive of exclusives across all 3 major platform holders.

Quite frankly it's negligent on the industry's behalf. Get your shit together.
Exactly. I would add Excite Trucks to this S tier list.

Last edited:

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
Maybe I should give PGR4 another go. I can't remember anything from that game. Pretty awesome it has bikes though

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I'm still so sad Drift Stage dissolved after an awesome pre-alpha for Kickstarter.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I'm still pissed at the programmer for that one (I think it was the programmer IIRC). Only kickstarter I ever backed too.
Yeah, Delkoduck (the artist [worked on Sky Rogue]) and Myrone (musician, OST) both knocked it out of the park. Delko wrestled the IP from the developer and was working to find another developer/programmer to get the project going, but at this point it's been like 4 years of other teams eating their lunch as they saw the fervor for a vaporwave arcade racer and the clones pumped out much quicker as the project was in a petty development hell.

Really hope Delko can get it going, but the half-assed version was released to backers and it's baffling how poorly it plays compared to the pre-alpha demo that was pretty much perfect, just needed to be polished.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To those that know more about this series, which of the Trackmania games would you recommend?

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
To those that know more about this series, which of the Trackmania games would you recommend?
My favorite to this day is still United. But I don't know if servers are still up.

2 is okay but the way they handled it was kind of a mess( multiple games, one for each environment and then you can kinda connect them in one game).

Turbo is dead as far as I know. And then the new one is following some weird freemium subscription system that I haven't even touched. Also, Turbo and the new one are only on uPlay/EGS, not on Steam.

edit: if you're getting 2, start with stadium. That's the most active one.

Last edited:

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite to this day is still United. But I don't know if servers are still up.

2 is okay but the way they handled it was kind of a mess( multiple games, one for each environment and then you can kinda connect them in one game).

Turbo is dead as far as I know. And then the new one is following some weird freemium subscription system that I haven't even touched. Also, Turbo and the new one are only on uPlay/EGS, not on Steam.

edit: if you're getting 2, start with stadium. That's the most active one.
For clarification United's servers are still up and Turbo is on Steam, but yeah, most PC bound TM games are great, though Turbo is better played on a console which it is better suited for due to the lack of features it has compared to the TM2 titles which it also shares environments with.

and no, I really hate the subscription model stupidity the new TM2020 has as well.

Kellemann75

Chicken Chaser
Nov 19, 2019
Circuit superstars is hitting Early Acsess on steam later today. This game is so mutch fun, and has 4 player splitscreen

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Hotshot Racing is amazing and I've only played one race! Daytona USA x the pipe dreams of Drift Stage (lol).

Not sure it fits in the scope of this thread, but top down racers are also my jam - Blazerush and Mini Motor Racing X being my current modern favorites.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
I'm coming to this thread a bit late, but Dirt 5 definitely scratched the Motorstorm itch for me. I really would like to see arcade racing make a comeback. Right now it's mostly just Forza Horizon which is excellent and some indie games which are good.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
You know what's funny is that I love these so I play old ones and I'm satisfied. I want a "new" one so I've got a copy of sega touring car on the way. I haven't found myself wanting for new ones. I play alot of old games, though.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
I don't know if MS still owns the IP but I really wish they make a modern PGR game. If I'm not mistaken many ex Bizarre guys working at Playground Games.

99747-project-gotham-racing-4-xbox-360-front-cover.jpg

Imagine this full-on RT.

2455649-9383696696-pgr4z.gif

828489-935830_20071001_001.jpg

project-gotham-racing-4.jpg

Nov 2, 2017
Looks like Hotshot Racing is on sale on Steam until March 18.
You know what's funny is that I love these so I play old ones and I'm satisfied. I want a "new" one so I've got a copy of sega touring car on the way. I haven't found myself wanting for new ones. I play alot of old games, though.
Same here. I sometimes consider starting a thread on era about "why not play older games" instead of looking for proper throwbacks. Outside of occasional qol issues, I'd rather just play original games (preferably on "native" hardware) than find a newer version that often pales to its source of inspiration. That very much applies to arcade racers for me. I play and enjoy new racing games but I love firing up older games when I want that retro fix.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Has anyone here played Art of Rally? I've had my eye on it for a while. Not sure where it falls on the sim/arcade spectrum.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone else having the game lock up when they try to do an online quick race in Hotshot Racing?

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone here played Art of Rally? I've had my eye on it for a while. Not sure where it falls on the sim/arcade spectrum.

It's amazing, there's definitely more of a simmy tinge to it but IMO it feels more like a finessed arcade racer with depth. And there's a stack of unlockables and modes.

Circuit superstars is hitting Early Acsess on steam later today. This game is so mutch fun, and has 4 player splitscreen

Ooh, I've been waiting for this! Is there a demo at all or just EA?

Last edited:

Qronicle

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium
Fired up the ol' windows laptop to try Circuit Superstars yesterday. I've been following this game for many many years, and boy, do I love it! Handling is perfect, graphics have an excellent mood. Only the online mode feels a bit chaotic at the start, but that is to be expected I guess. Can't wait for this to come out on console :)

Ooh, I've been waiting for this! Is there a demo at all or just EA?
Only EA afaik, demo was only available for a short time.

Oct 25, 2017
Just played a little of Circuit Superstars and have to say that game feels pretty damn good.

They have a great foundation for it being EA, more polished than I'm used to lol

Oct 27, 2017

One of the best games I played in 2020.

I don't think it's on the sim/arcade spectrum at all to be honest. Difficult one to pin down. The camera perspective and visuals probably appeal to the arcade audience, but it has some decent chops as a legitimate rally experience. There's a learning curve to the controls and you need to respect the different cars and their power/handling.

One of my favourite things about the game is that some of the car names and descriptions are hilarious. There's a great blend of humour mixed in with a real reverence and respect for the history of rally.

Friender

Sep 27, 2020
The NFS Hot Pursuit remaster has been scratching the itch for me a little bit

if Sony brought back Motorstorm and Microsoft PGR it would be a start. Small probability of a new Burnout.
Yes!
I vote for full MR/MR: PR remake-sters on PS5
I vote for a robust Driveclub PS5 patch, with servers back online and all content available again

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've managed to find some games that scratch that itch for me, but they're all mostly in the futuristic racer space more than general "arcade" racers. Stuff like Grip, Pacer, Antigraviator, Fast RMX etc.

but I feel like On Rush is the only game recently that's actually manage to scratch that particular itch the best because it does feel so much like motorstorm...but then it's not a racing game...

And that's kind of the problem for me. There always seems to be some compromise, whether it be mechanically or visually or quality wise. Usually it's a compromise I'm willing to make because I'll take what I can get at this point. But I certainly miss the old days of arcade racers actually having a budget.

Horizon has never managed to scratched that itch for me on account of being open world. I never liked NFS or Burnout Paradise for similar reasons. I would absolutely love a new traditional track based Burnout game right about now though.

There's a lot of potential in the motocross and monster truck games that seem to come out annually. But they're all a bit too grounded in the realities of their sport when they could easily be dialed up to 11 and made into something more in-like with Freekstyle. Take the Tony hawk's approach to the sport and make something fun. I had to go back all the way to MTX Mototrax on the PS2 to even find a Motocross game that is even remotely fun.

And i think a lot of it is stems from developers/publishers wanting to sit on the fence between sim and arcade too much in an attempt to appeal.to everyone, but it often amounts to something wholely unsatisfying. They need to just let loose and make something as good as Pure, Downhill Domination or Burnout again.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who skipped the PS3 for the 360, Sony's complete disregard for re-releasing Motorstorm 1 and 2 is a source of anguish for me, because those were like... top ten "games I would definitely get if I ended up with a PS3 some day" games.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
I still pine for Blur after all these years. For me a strong multiplayer is essential. I just tend to lose interest playing against AI. Wreckfest has satisfied that itch a little but I'm sometimes left wanting more.

I actually really enjoy the racing in GTA but I can never find a populated playlist that doesn't recycle the same tracks over and over and it's more than a little frustrating how willing everyone else is to shunt you off track or use a pit maneuver on you at the first chance they get.

Kellemann75

Chicken Chaser
Nov 19, 2019
I feel Wreckfest needs mention here. Great fun and a solid singelplayer. And its on Gamepass.

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if MS still owns the IP but I really wish they make a modern PGR game. If I'm not mistaken many ex Bizarre guys working at Playground Games.

99747-project-gotham-racing-4-xbox-360-front-cover.jpg

Imagine this full-on RT.

2455649-9383696696-pgr4z.gif

828489-935830_20071001_001.jpg

project-gotham-racing-4.jpg
So many great memories of PGR3 at the launch of the Xbox 360 and later PGR4. If only they could be backward compatible :( but I guess they are too many licences issues, there.