• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Calibro

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
20170327110815419.jpg
None of them disappeared though my dude.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I'm seeing quite a few memes popping up about this and I hope it keeps gaining traction:

aDgzq0O_700bwp.webp

aWEqPwn_700bwp.webp

a7wDmvz_700bwp.webp

awoQPE4_700bwp.webp

People, especially the ones in the public eye, need to speak up about this. If the majority of the pro scene takes a stance they need to rethink their strategy. They can't just abandon that scene to look good for China.

Last edited:

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
In China, it's ok if you curse xi, just like americans curse Trump. The Chinese can say anything as long as you don't divide the country.

The Chinese will not tolerate separatism for historical reasons any more than americans will tolerate racism.

I think you are obviously closer to China in belarus than americans. Why don't you come to China and make these remarks?

To be honest, you're just afraid of communism because that was the religion of your country. But communism in China today is not the same thing as communism in the former Soviet union, and to be honest, China is in some ways more capitalist than the west.

To be honest, many Chinese, myself included, used to hate the Chinese communist party, but we hate splitting our country even more. This is because we have been invaded by the west, and opposing secession is the bottom line of the Chinese people. If you just hate the Chinese communist party, many Chinese will support you, but if you want to split Hong Kong from China, few Chinese will support you.

The biggest mistake the west has made in expanding the problem of Hong Kong is to feel that none of this is important in terms of their values. You can call California independent in America, but you can't say racist things in America. In China, you can't talk about splitting the country. Every country has a different situation, like no one in Germany says anything about Hitler.

Both blizzard and NBA come to China to make money. Chinese people don't care what they think, but they should respect it in public. No politician in the United States would speak out against the people who fund them? If you can't understand the differences between cultures and countries, there's not much to say.
I don't even...

If you're so sure that China has freedom of speech, then you should put your money where your mouth is and record a video of you repeatedly cursing Xi at the entrance of Tiananmen Square. Post a link to Youtube/Wechat/Whatever video-sharing service that isn't censored in China as proof.

And you are right that communism in China isn't the same as communism in the Soviet Union. It's the same as fascism in Nazi Germany.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
it's too complicated when money are involved. If blizzard cuts ties with china, whole divisions of people are gonna get laid off. who's gonna stand up for their rights?

People are literally being beaten to near death, kidnapped, and other threats. However, you are worrying about people getting paid!? People can get another job, everyone only has one life and many in HK are in danger of losing it.

OP
OP
Calibro

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Erm, I've been seeing people say this a lot but not one of the five demands from the Protesters is about Independence from China.
Yeah my mistake. None of the 5 demands are literally about that. But all of them together really sound like "We don't want to be a part of China" to me. This is a personal opinion of course.

champloo

Oct 27, 2017
People are literally being beaten to near death, kidnapped, and other threats. However, you are worrying about people getting paid!? People can get another job, everyone only has one life and many in HK are in danger of losing it.

my bad, haven't realized that the situation in hk has been that bad, that people are getting killed.. no argument here.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Popular games streamers also need to get involved with this - of the few that I've seen who have made a comment it's always been some lazy ass, apathetic comment like - "I don't know enough about this so I won't comment". The natural response to that of course is "then educate yourself!".

Some are just being cowardly and hiding behind the "I don't know enough" excuse while no doubt most of them are terrified of losing their only form of income.

One streamer who I'd love to hear from is Day9tv - he used to be a major streamer of Starcraft and Starcraft 2 and, more recently, Hearthstone - he's not streamed Hearthstone over about 10 months and has switched to MTG, he's not streamed anything Starcraft related for over a year. As he now apparently has no interest in Blizzard's games then presumably he has nothing to lose by speaking out?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cancel BlizzCon. Protest outside the venue of you're local. Bring some Xi and Winnie the Pooh posters with you.
Not sure what I can do, already bought the ticket ages ago and obviously the travel etc. Hopefully someone tries to organize something we can do there, otherwise I'm just looking at buying some very pro HK shirts/winnie the pooh gear or something and trying to linger around the cameras.

Literally have a giant blizzard shelf behind me at my desk, with all my blizzcon badges and everything. I'd love to find some way to show them how much they've fucked up when someone like me is cancelling their asses.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Recent weeks have definitely shown just how ruthless multi-conglomerate business is. I think the sad thing is that it's just as likely that other companies and even Nintendo financially supports similar atrocities, even if it's cynical and only decided through a purely business lens. Doesn't make it better, but that's how the wheel spins too, unfortunately.

I'm not the biggest fan of controlled movements on the internet but I will be curious to see if something comes from this BlizzardGate issue.

Emiya777

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
In China, it's ok if you curse xi, just like americans curse Trump. The Chinese can say anything as long as you don't divide the country.

The Chinese will not tolerate separatism for historical reasons any more than americans will tolerate racism.

I think you are obviously closer to China in belarus than americans. Why don't you come to China and make these remarks?

To be honest, you're just afraid of communism because that was the religion of your country. But communism in China today is not the same thing as communism in the former Soviet union, and to be honest, China is in some ways more capitalist than the west.

To be honest, many Chinese, myself included, used to hate the Chinese communist party, but we hate splitting our country even more. This is because we have been invaded by the west, and opposing secession is the bottom line of the Chinese people. If you just hate the Chinese communist party, many Chinese will support you, but if you want to split Hong Kong from China, few Chinese will support you.

The biggest mistake the west has made in expanding the problem of Hong Kong is to feel that none of this is important in terms of their values. You can call California independent in America, but you can't say racist things in America. In China, you can't talk about splitting the country. Every country has a different situation, like no one in Germany says anything about Hitler.

Both blizzard and NBA come to China to make money. Chinese people don't care what they think, but they should respect it in public. No politician in the United States would speak out against the people who fund them? If you can't understand the differences between cultures and countries, there's not much to say.

You sound just like the Brooklyn Nets owner lol. Just because something is taboo to talk about doesn't mean it's morally correct. Regardless of social qualms taking away people's freedom of speech and religion, imprisoning them in concentration camps and harvesting their organs are wrong. If I see racist acts in American today I act on them, and I have cut out people in my life for their overt racism. Also with the social score system in China you may not be arrested for saying fuck Xi but you will have consequences. Go back to China you hack.

OP
OP
Calibro

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Not sure what I can do, already bought the ticket ages ago and obviously the travel etc. Hopefully someone tries to organize something we can do there, otherwise I'm just looking at buying some very pro HK shirts/winnie the pooh gear or something and trying to linger around the cameras.

Literally have a giant blizzard shelf behind me at my desk, with all my blizzcon badges and everything. I'd love to find some way to show them how much they've fucked up when someone like me is cancelling their asses.
Good on you. I hear they have special areas inside the venue where people can make their own posters and stuff, you can try to make some pro-HK ones. Or try to ask a question during one of the Q&A panels (doesn't matte if it's a Hearthstone one or not, really, it's about the company as a whole).

Think about it, you can become the next Red Shirt Guy, except for a cause that's much much much bigger than in-game lore inaccuracies.

Good luck and don't blow your cover early ;)

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
[TL;DR: Nothing will change. Either you don't partner up with them or you abide by your partner's decisions once you decide to. We as audience need to vote with our wallet.]

Gaming is on a collapse (as per investors), and to prevent collapse you need to make money (as per investors). You find a partner in a foreign country and you tell yourself in 2015 "World's fine. It will be fine."

You sign the dotted line, and you secured millions if not billions in revenue. Fast forward to 2019, your foreign country partner is going through its own shit. Do you support them in their cause for the wallet, and wait it out in silence until the cooker explodes, and there's collateral damage? Or do you denounce their actions once you're aware of it? Do you stand by your vision for the company or do you become a sellout and prevent everyone within our control from talking about it (i.e. better to silence everyone and we stay silent, and the gaming community will move on as they've always moved on).

Whatever your response is, know that Activision chose the selling out option. They sold out years ago, and have been returning their favor to sell out. Believe me, selling out is not a one-way street.

I will say this that watch what happened with NBA yesterday, and use that as a lesson. We as consumers can simply vote with our wallet whenever we can, so draw your lines while they draw theirs.

Watch this video, watch both arguments. Consume It, and then decide what you think will happen (hint: you know the answer already).

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Times like this where the only blizzard game I played excessively (overeat h) has been long dead to me.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good on you. I hear they have special areas inside the venue where people can make their own posters and stuff, you can try to make some pro-HK ones. Or try to ask a question during one of the Q&A panels (doesn't matte if it's a Hearthstone one or not, really, it's about the company as a whole).

Think about it, you can become the next Red Shirt Guy, except for a cause that's much much much bigger than in-game lore inaccuracies.

Good luck and don't blow your cover early ;)
Oh shit, I forgot, they always have the GIANT wall where everyone can sign, draw, whatever. That's gonna have so much hong kong shit on it if they don't rethink that plan.

Xh8YFSi.jpg

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Recent weeks have definitely shown just how ruthless multi-conglomerate business is. I think the sad thing is that it's just as likely that other companies and even Nintendo financially supports similar atrocities, even if it's cynical and only decided through a purely business lens. Doesn't make it better, but that's how the wheel spins too, unfortunately.

I'm not the biggest fan of controlled movements on the internet but I will be curious to see if something comes from this BlizzardGate issue.

There definitely needs to be serious repercussion to their actions. These companies wants China money, fine, but now they should also take a massive loss from their western fanbase. But we all know it won't happen. This world is fucking depressing and I'm getting sick of it.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
K sorry I'm super oblivious but what's Blizzard's relationship with Hong Kong /China here?

EDIT: Oh right the Hearthstone player. I'll look into it a bit more.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
K sorry I'm super oblivious but what's Blizzard's relationship with Hong Kong /China here?

The start of all this

www.resetera.com

Blizzard has removed Hong Kong Hearthstone player blitzchung from Hearthstone Grand Masters and rescinded all his prize money

October 6 Inciting Incident: During a post-game interview, Hong Kong Hearthstone player blitzchung calls for the liberation of his country. Blitzchung shouted in Chinese: "Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our age!" The casters interviewing him, not wanting to be associated with the...

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yes. And fuck people saying we cant do anything.

Protests work. It's documented.

If you're not in, step the fuck aside and shut the fuck up.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna switch from Hearthstone to MTG, even if I have a huge collection of cards, gold and dust, and over 10.000 games played...

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
With #blizzardboycott already trending on Twitter, you bet the company is feeling the heat for this. This is permanent brand damage.

OP
OP
Calibro

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
With #blizzardboycott already trending on Twitter, you bet the company is feeling the heat for this. This is permanent brand damage.
It should be trending today, tomorrow and the day after. Months after, until they do something about it. This is the easiest protest ever, millions can participate and rightfully publicly shit on a disgusting company each day of the week.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

i say this as an ethnic chinese from singapore (thus no beef with either the west or china or hk, my views are my own), i can understand this position.

Wanting more human rights and less participation of china in HK government is one thing i can get behind, asking Hong Kong to be totally independent from China as a whole is a whole different ball game and i don't think that's possible. Hong Kong is LEGALLY part of china, whether anyone like it or not. Hong Kong is only a colony of UK for 99 years before it's ceded back to China in a mutual agreement that is LEGALLY binding internationally in 1997. People can argue whether Taiwan is part of China or not as it's a gray area, sure...but Hong Kong? That's not a question. It's akin to asking the Californian to be separated from the United States.

So some of the request from the Hong Kong protesters (independent queries of police brutalities) i can understand and support, but total separation and waving a UK/US flag? I don't really know what they were smoking. Imagine a singaporean in Singapore waving a Malaysia flag protesting for Singapore to be back in Malaysia again (Fun fact: Singapore used to be a state of Malaysia until it was kicked out and went independent in 1965), that dude will literally be arrested and trialed as a 'foreign agent'.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
i say this as an ethnic chinese from singapore (thus no beef with either the west or china or hk, my views are my own), i can understand this position.

Wanting more human rights and less participation of china in HK government is one thing i can get behind, asking Hong Kong to be totally independent from China as a whole is a whole different ball game and i don't think that's possible. Hong Kong is LEGALLY part of china, whether anyone like it or not. Hong Kong is only a colony of UK for 99 years before it's ceded back to China in a mutual agreement that is LEGALLY binding internationally in 1997. People can argue whether Taiwan is part of China or not as it's a gray area, sure...but Hong Kong? That's not a question. It's akin to asking the Californian to be separated from the United States.

So some of the request from the Hong Kong protesters (independent queries of police brutalities) i can understand and support, but total separation and waving a UK/US flag? I don't really know what they were smoking. Imagine a singaporean in Singapore waving a Malaysia flag protesting for Singapore to be back in Malaysia again (Fun fact: Singapore used to be a state of Malaysia until it was kicked out and went independent in 1965), that dude will literally be arrested and trialed as a 'foreign agent'.

None of the five demands are about independence from China.

It's strange, basically the Western countries have taken this protest to mean a fight for independence while the Chinese have view them as separatist rebels.

When really it's none of those things

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Yeah my mistake. None of the 5 demands are literally about that. But all of them together really sound like "We don't want to be a part of China" to me. This is a personal opinion of course.

a state can't separate itself just because 'the people wants it'...

i mean by this definition, california (& probably New York) would've gone independent ages ago.

again, you can be unhappy about the situation. But it doesn't change the fact that it's not possible unless there's some sort of agreement between the central/federal government and hong kong on a split which going by china, it's just impossible.

Some of the countries kept referencing Singapore when they wanted to attain their own independence (Hong Kong, UK when it's trying to bargain for Brexit) but the Singapore split from Malaysia is totally different (too large of a historical context for me to post but let's just say Malaysia never wanted singapore in the first place).

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
None of the five demands are about independence from China.

It's strange, basically the Western countries have taken this protest to mean a fight for independence while the Chinese have view them as separatist rebels.

When really it's none of those things

that's why i said i supported 'some' of the requests but one of those, universal suffrage, let's just say that regardless of one's stance of it, it's impossible to achieve. China's promise of '50 years of non-change' for Hong Kong was merely a public 'verbal promise' by Deng XiaoPing in the 90s to pacify the hong kongers from mass migration. It was never ever a condition in the official documents when UK ceded control of HK back to China. China 'tried' to uphold this 'promise' because of how Deng public pimped this idea but this 'promise' has no legal bindings at all. As such, again regardless of one's feelings on it, China is legally within its rights to 'increase its influence' in HK. The demand of true universe suffrage, while admirable, doesn't seems to have any grounds to stand.

Back to the topic at hand, though...yah..it's pretty shitty how Acti-Blizzard can do this to that HK player though. Whatever that's happening in Hong Kong and that player's personal stance should not have any repercussion on the player at all.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
People in Hong Kong are being bullied and harassed by the police and even my friends and family there are afraid to go out. I've made plenty of threads in the OT forums for the past few months and at most I get maybe 3-4 pages. I'm glad to see that this has gotten major coverage everywhere and especially on ERA.

Please please don't think "this won't achieve anything" because so much has been achieved already. Carrie Lam and her Govt have been trying to quell the HK public for months and we have been growing angrier and angrier as time goes by. Using police to enact defacto martial law and arrest anyone who is seemingly a dissident.

We are still fighting. And I believe that everyone in the Americas, Europe, Asia, and even parts of Africa can do their bit to put pressure on China and the pro-Beijing authorities in Hong Kong.

5 Demands, Not One Less!

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
that's why i said i supported 'some' of the requests but one of those, universal suffrage, let's just say that regardless of one's stance of it, it's impossible to achieve. China's promise of '50 years of non-change' for Hong Kong was merely a public 'verbal promise' by Deng XiaoPing in the 90s to pacify the hong kongers from mass migration. It was never ever a condition in the official documents when UK ceded control of HK back to China. China 'tried' to uphold this 'promise' because of how Deng public pimped this idea but this 'promise' has no legal bindings at all. As such, again regardless of one's feelings on it, China is legally within its rights to 'increase its influence' in HK. The demand of true universe suffrage, while admirable, doesn't seems to have any grounds to stand.

Back to the topic at hand, though...yah..it's pretty shitty how Acti-Blizzard can do this to that HK player though. Whatever that's happening in Hong Kong and that player's personal stance should not have any repercussion on the player at all.

Of course that kind of presupposes the people of Hong Kong are not a people, but rather a commodity that can be traded.

OP
OP
Calibro

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
I can't resist to share this masterpiece from r/hongkong. This is some quality online protesting. (enable sound)

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017

If we can't have it, we'll burn ourselves and our city to the ground.

OP
OP
Calibro

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Therell be something else to outrage over by the time blizzcon gets here
Gaming related? Hard to imagine something bigger than this. No lootbox business or Diablo Immortal blunders or even worker rights issues come close to th China genocide.

If we can't have it, we'll burn ourselves and our city to the ground.
We might fight amongst each other, but I promise you this
We'll burn this bitch down, get us pissed

OP
OP
Calibro

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
I agree wholeheartedly, but I think it'll blow over anyway.
If we all don't let it happen, it won't happen. As I said, flood all Blizzard internet channels with messages of support for Hong Kong. All tools are great: memes, copypastas, just usual comments, emails to various publications, BlizzCon protesting, Twitch banners etc. Everything.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
[TL;DR: Nothing will change. Either you don't partner up with them or you abide by your partner's decisions once you decide to. We as audience need to vote with our wallet.]

Gaming is on a collapse (as per investors), and to prevent collapse you need to make money (as per investors). You find a partner in a foreign country and you tell yourself in 2015 "World's fine. It will be fine."

You sign the dotted line, and you secured millions if not billions in revenue. Fast forward to 2019, your foreign country partner is going through its own shit. Do you support them in their cause for the wallet, and wait it out in silence until the cooker explodes, and there's collateral damage? Or do you denounce their actions once you're aware of it? Do you stand by your vision for the company or do you become a sellout and prevent everyone within our control from talking about it (i.e. better to silence everyone and we stay silent, and the gaming community will move on as they've always moved on).

Whatever your response is, know that Activision chose the selling out option. They sold out years ago, and have been returning their favor to sell out. Believe me, selling out is not a one-way street.

I will say this that watch what happened with NBA yesterday, and use that as a lesson. We as consumers can simply vote with our wallet whenever we can, so draw your lines while they draw theirs.

Watch this video, watch both arguments. Consume It, and then decide what you think will happen (hint: you know the answer already).

this actually touches on the problem in ALL business: the myth of infinite growth.

public companies can no longer stabilize or dip a little, and it's kind of disgusting.

is also be interested to know what part of activision our blizzard this came from

OP
OP
Calibro

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
This is fucking hilarious. Apparently I angered the chinese enough so they're trying to hack into an account of mine LOLOLOL

(first login is mine, Belarus, the previous one says Taiwan)

(this one is useless and uses one of the old leaked passwords because I don't really care about it you bottlicking pricks, you can have it, although now it has 2FA so good luck)

EGb0IV3W4AEAWk-

Last edited:

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I'd agree with a lot of that but I'd rather not have Gaben talk about his political stances.

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
Someone: "We should do something"
You ad nauseum: "What's the point, people won't do anything"

This attitude is legitimately aggravating on top of being demonstrably wrong. People can effect change and have done so innumerable times in the past, each for which there will have been numerous people trotting out the same defeatist "there's no point" lines.

If someone is trying to do something, standing by the side and saying "there's no point trying" is less helpful than the people that aren't motivated yet. You're actively dissuading and dampening a cause while bemoaning others for their lack of support.

I'm doing no such thing thank you very much!.. I merely pointed out, that it won't come to anything.. I'd be happy if it did, but not everybody who plays games keeps up with the current situation of the world, and I genuinely think some people won't give a shit either, but please don't assume just because I made a comment about it I was encouraging no action.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm doing no such thing thank you very much!.. I merely pointed out, that it won't come to anything.. I'd be happy if it did, but not everybody who plays games keeps up with the current situation of the world, and I genuinely think some people won't give a shit either, but please don't assume just because I made a comment about it I was encouraging no action.
Yeh, I mean once again:
Someone: "We should do something"
You ad nauseum: "What's the point, people won't do anything"

This attitude is legitimately aggravating on top of being demonstrably wrong. People can effect change and have done so innumerable times in the past, each for which there will have been numerous people trotting out the same defeatist "there's no point" lines.

If someone is trying to do something, standing by the side and saying "there's no point trying" is less helpful than the people that aren't motivated yet. You're actively dissuading and dampening a cause while bemoaning others for their lack of support.