• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
People on the internet can do a lot of things. Cancel hollywood sexual predators. NBA was pressured enough to backtrack their Hong Kong messaging (somewhat).

Well it's time to put pressure on gaming companies too. Every Activision-Blizzard related thing on the internet must have a comment or two about them supporting the genocide of chinese uyghurs and the oppression of Hong Kong. Reply with this info to every last one of their tweets. Every last one post on Facebook. Every last forum thread. Every last ActiBlizz game twitch stream. Make Overwatch heroes into symbols of the Hong Kong protest so China will be tempted to ban it altogether.

J. Allen Brack and Bobby Kotick haven't yet commented on this. I swear I can hear and feel them sweating in their multimillion dollar conference rooms right now, their fear of losing the warm teat of China slowly building up and up.

Remember, they're doing this only because they want more money from selling their games in China. CoD: Modern Warfare release is coming up soon. Money trumps freedom of speech and lives of innocent people for Kotick and J. Allen Brack.

Go further. Put pressure on their partners. Humble Bundle selling ActiBlizz games as part of their subscription? Pressure them to at least make a statement. Send emails to Gaben asking him to put his Hong Kong stance out there.

Why be so annoying on the internet to people you don't know personally?

Because it's bigger than some goddamn videogames. You can live without some games that were made to please the tyrannical China regime so they can make money there. This is our 1936. Nazi Germany was just a cool business partner to work with then, as China is now. Time to fucking stop.

And to those who would call all of this "slacktivism" I say "It worked before". And if it doesn't, shit at least we tried and sent a message, however small it may be in the grand scheme of things.

(although what the fuck, cancel Randy Pitchford, Woody Allen and Roman Polanski too while we're at it)

Free Hong Kong!

EGalMRuXkAEH0R-

Last edited:

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yep, fuck blizzard for this.

Blizzcons gonna be a fucking shitshow this year.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love to see protests during Blizzcon, but I dunno. Would a typical Blizz fans willing getting kicked out and lose thousand of dollars for going there?

OP
OP
Calibro

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
I'd love to see protests during Blizzcon, but I dunno. Would a typical Blizz fans willing getting kicked out and lose thousand of dollars for going there?
The guy who asked about Diablo Immortal being an out of season april fools joke sure was. This is magnitudes bigger. Anyone who protests China @ BlizzCon will be an internet hero within minutes.

And they can't do jack shit if people protest just outside the venue.

It's a corporation worth billions with reliable income, consumers can't do jackshit.

As I've said, maybe we can't, but we can send a message, however small it may seem. It isn't hard to try.
And it worked somewhat with NBA, didn't it?

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Americans on the internet? So its not even worth me trying right?
ERA please get out of your US bubble. Like I know you guys are the majority English speakers online but at least humour the rest of us!

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
I posted this on Reddit, when a similar action was mentioned

'People aren't going to boycott anything, people will just continue gaming on their preferred choices regardless of ownership. Society is too engrained into it's connected devices, & throw away entertainment to actually boycott anything. They'll be plenty of 'tutting' or 'that's terrible' but will people really change? The world is dying on its feet, yet we can't even get people to eat less red meat, curb their energy consumption or even recycle adequately, so getting them to boycott Chinese companies will be near impossible to do.'

I suspect Blizzard knows this too, and will double down on its stupidity and ride the storm out until the next controversy rears up and deflects peoples
attention...

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
J. Allen Brack and Bobby Kotick haven't yet commented on this. I swear I can hear and feel them sweating in their multimillion dollar conference rooms right now, their fear of losing the warm teat of China slowly building up and up.

The problem is that they're more scared of China than they are of you.

OP
OP
Calibro

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus

'People aren't going to boycott anything, people will just continue gaming on their preferred choices regardless of ownership. Society is too engrained into it's connected devices, & throw away entertainment to actually boycott anything. They'll be plenty of 'tutting' or 'that's terrible' but will people really change? The world is dying on its feet, yet we can't even get people to eat less red meat, curb their energy consumption or even recycle adequately, so getting them to boycott Chinese companies will be near impossible to do.'

I suspect Blizzard knows this too, and will double down on its stupidity and ride the storm out until the next controversy rears up and deflects peoples
attention...
This is far easier than boycotting chinese products which are everywhere. Boycotting Blizzard means not playing a couple of games. There are thousands of other games.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
I'm strongly against the Chinese government's policies, and have been long before the issues with Hong Kong - I majored in Asian Studies and published a paper on the Uighurs decades ago - but comparing this to 1936, to keep repeating teat this, teat that makes you seem rabid, not passionate.

Edit:

What about the NBA? They backed down. Now they're banned in China I hear. Surely Blizzard is at least concerned about their image in countries outside China.

I think this doesn't really evidence an understanding of the NBA or its relationship with the Houston Rockets - both as individuals and as an organization.

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
This is far easier than boycotting Chinese products which are everywhere. Boycotting Blizzard means not playing a couple of games. There are thousands of other games.

True, but if it's their favourite game, that they absolutely must play, they'll still play it regardless of ownership, or even the controversy surrounding it.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I'm really down to boycotting blizz for this, but damn OW is my main game alongside rocket leauge..... FUUUCK U BLIZZARD

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

attention...
True, but if it's their favourite game, that they absolutely must play, they'll still play it regardless of ownership, or even the controversy surrounding it.
Someone: "We should do something"
You ad nauseum: "What's the point, people won't do anything"

This attitude is legitimately aggravating on top of being demonstrably wrong. People can effect change and have done so innumerable times in the past, each for which there will have been numerous people trotting out the same defeatist "there's no point" lines.

If someone is trying to do something, standing by the side and saying "there's no point trying" is less helpful than the people that aren't motivated yet. You're actively dissuading and dampening a cause while bemoaning others for their lack of support.

OP
OP
Calibro

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Overwatch, Diablo, WoW, StarCraft and Hearthstone (sorry, Heroes of the Storm) were all my favorite games up until around 24 hours ago. Now I'm done with them. It's just some fucking games, there are a lot of others.

If you can't stop playing a goddamn videogame over this kind of issue where millions of people suffer and get their basic human rights stripped away, you lose your license to argue on the internet for fucking ever.

"This is my favorite videogame so I'm going to continue playing it even though its makers support genocide". Do you realize how fucking ridiculous this sounds?

And until Blizzard makes a statement and apologizes (and loses their business in China most definitely), this company supports genocide and oppression.

chiu7

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
You were in belarus and you said you were against China's dictatorship? What a JOKE!

Mr Lukashenko is far more authoritarian than Mr Xi

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What about the NBA? They backed down. Now they're banned in China I hear. Surely Blizzard is at least concerned about their image in countries outside China.

Huh? The NBA basically just did what Blizzard did. Figure says something positive about Hong Kong, higher powers go "oh shit" and try to do damage control. NBA just failed in their damage control.

OP
OP
Calibro

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
You were in belarus and you said you were against China's dictatorship? What a JOKE!

Mr Lukashenko is far more authoritarian than Mr Xi
Mr Lukashenko is a fuckwad but at least he doesn't disappear people for calling him a fuckwad on the internet. I can record myself burning his portrait and put it on YouTube and not fear for my safety. Can't do that with Xi.
(he only disappeared a couple of his political rivals some years ago, he is still a massive fuckwad)

OP
OP
Calibro

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
I think boycotting blizzard is good and should be done, just know it's gonna take a lot of us to do it. Thankfully, Destiny's not on battle.net anymore and I don't see myself giving them any money for anything in the future regardless.

The NBA doesn't make the majority of their money in China.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
America is not the centre of the universe. Nor American are speak of truth, freedom and rights in everything... :|

This is a good cause to fight about, but that sentence is the same exact thing Era seems so proud to fight every day... inclusion of all people, gender,etc...

EDIT:
"Americans on the internet" <- This sentence

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Does anyone have a reliable source of what the Chinese government replied regarding the Hong Kong situation and the treatment of Uyghurs?

I might be behaving like some random alarmist but I am legitimately wondering about what can come next.

OP
OP
Calibro

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
America is not the centre of the universe. Nor American are speak of truth, freedom and rights in everything... :|

This is a good cause to fight about, but that sentence is the same exact thing Era seems so proud to fight every day... inclusion of all people, gender,etc...

EDIT:
"Americans on the internet" <- This sentence
Are you saying it's not worth it to fight for freedom of speech and other basic human rights?

chiu7

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Mr Lukashenko is a fuckwad but at least he doesn't disappear people for calling him a fuckwad on the internet. I can record myself burning his portrait and put it on YouTube and not fear for my safety. Can't do that with Xi.
(he only disappeared a couple of his political rivals some years ago, he is still a massive fuckwad)
In China, it's ok if you curse xi, just like americans curse Trump. The Chinese can say anything as long as you don't divide the country.

The Chinese will not tolerate separatism for historical reasons any more than americans will tolerate racism.

I think you are obviously closer to China in belarus than americans. Why don't you come to China and make these remarks?

To be honest, you're just afraid of communism because that was the religion of your country. But communism in China today is not the same thing as communism in the former Soviet union, and to be honest, China is in some ways more capitalist than the west.

To be honest, many Chinese, myself included, used to hate the Chinese communist party, but we hate splitting our country even more. This is because we have been invaded by the west, and opposing secession is the bottom line of the Chinese people. If you just hate the Chinese communist party, many Chinese will support you, but if you want to split Hong Kong from China, few Chinese will support you.

The biggest mistake the west has made in expanding the problem of Hong Kong is to feel that none of this is important in terms of their values. You can call California independent in America, but you can't say racist things in America. In China, you can't talk about splitting the country. Every country has a different situation, like no one in Germany says anything about Hitler.

Both blizzard and NBA come to China to make money. Chinese people don't care what they think, but they should respect it in public. No politician in the United States would speak out against the people who fund them? If you can't understand the differences between cultures and countries, there's not much to say.

OP
OP
Calibro

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Does anyone have a reliable source of what the Chinese government replied regarding the Hong Kong situation and the treatment of Uyghurs?

I might be behaving like some random alarmist but I am legitimately wondering about what can come next.
You can easily google that stuff. Videos surfaced of blindfolded chained uyghurs marching to their "re-education camps" while the chinese government claims it's for their own good. Reports saying uyghurs are being harvested for organs, sterilized, tortured and separated from their families.

It's fucking simple. It's genocide.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Are you saying it's not worth it to fight for freedom of speech and other basic human rights?
Can You read what I write correctly?
This is a good cause to fight about

I dont like the opening of the thread. The sentence is like "America is the centre of the world and only americans can change things". There are not only American on the internet, and also the world is not all about americans.

We talk every day about inclusions in this forum, and that is against that.

chiu7

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
For hearthstone players in Hong Kong, I have only one sentence"Esports shouldn't be used for political purpose"

OP
OP
Calibro

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
In China, it's ok if you curse xi, just like americans curse Trump. The Chinese can say anything as long as you don't divide the country.

You from mainland China I presume? Explain this then? https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...appears-spraying-ink-xi-jinping-a8455166.html

I'm not aware of things like this happening in US or Belarus at the moment.

I think you are obviously closer to China in belarus than americans. Why don't you come to China and make these remarks?

Why would I come to a country in which the government doesn't hesitate to kill thousands of protesters and smash their bodies with tanks? Hmm let me think about it.

To be honest, you're just afraid of communism because that was the religion of your country. But communism in China today is not the same thing as communism in the former Soviet union, and to be honest, China is in some ways more capitalist than the west.

You can call it communism or capitalism. I call it fascism because that's what it is. Pure fascism.

To be honest, many Chinese, myself included, used to hate the Chinese communist party, but we hate splitting our country even more. This is because we have been invaded by the west, and opposing secession is the bottom line of the Chinese people. If you just hate the Chinese communist party, many Chinese will support you, but if you want to split Hong Kong from China, few Chinese will support you.

Well fuck the chinese then because it's the people of Hong Kong who don't want to be a part of China. It's their right.

The biggest mistake the west has made in expanding the problem of Hong Kong is to feel that none of this is important in terms of their values. You can call California independent in America, but you can't say racist things in America.

You absolutely can. Their president spews racist bullshit every day and he's still the president.

Both blizzard and NBA come to China to make money.

And that money is fucking bloody at this point. Time to cut it off.

For hearthstone players in Hong Kong, I have only one sentence"Esports shouldn't be used for political purpose"

"No politics in sports" is a bullshit rule made and imposed by people who want to control others. Politics affect every aspect of our lives. Being scared of politics and wanting to escape from them doesn't make it go away.

OP
OP
Calibro

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Can You read what I write correctly?
This is a good cause to fight about

I dont like the opening of the thread. The sentence is like "America is the centre of the world and only americans can change things". There are not only American on the internet, and also the world is not all about americans.

We talk every day about inclusions in this forum, and that is against that.
Sorry, it's not a good wording, I agree. I'll change it to just "people".

champloo

Oct 27, 2017
it's too complicated when money are involved. If blizzard cuts ties with china, whole divisions of people are gonna get laid off. who's gonna stand up for their rights?

OP
OP
Calibro

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
it's too complicated when money are involved. If blizzard cuts ties with china, whole divisions of people are gonna get laid off. who's gonna stand up for their rights?
This is a big problem, yes. But they are also living in China, and that's what you get when you're living in China. They need to stand up for their rights themselves, like the people of Hong Kong are doing right now.

Oct 27, 2017

The genius logic.

Would you say the same thing about... war-time economy? If we stop the bombings, whole divisions of people are going to laid off. Who is going to stand up for the tank and bomb factory worker rights?

Well... to answer your question, since the answer isn't obvious to you. YES, the price of people having to find another job is definitely worth for other to live in peace without the fear for their lives.