• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the most depressing things about this for me is that Reade has way more evidence of her assault than I have for years of abuse I suffered, and even with a pretty sizable amount of evidence (more than most victims) so many are unwilling to believe her. Maybe this is selfish, but I see that and I think...how will anyone believe me, if I can't even produce that much evidence? I was silent for almost my entire life about what happened to me, and I already feared telling anyone in my life about it because of the shame and guilt associated with the abuse. I see what's happening to her and it just seems futile.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
One of the most depressing things about this for me is that Reade has way more evidence of her assault than I have for years of abuse I suffered, and even with a pretty sizable amount of evidence (more than most victims) so many are unwilling to believe her. Maybe this is selfish, but I see that and I think...how will anyone believe me, if I can't even produce that much evidence? I was silent for almost my entire life about what happened to me, and I already feared telling anyone in my life about it because of the shame and guilt associated with the abuse. I see what's happening to her and it just seems futile.
:(..

I'm sorry. Thanks for sharing that, at least know you're not alone and that we're all fighting hard to make sure voices here are heard and not discarded.

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Same. I was super young, so no evidence. The reaction to Tara Reades story gives me little hope i'll EVER get a sense of well-being.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
:(..

I'm sorry. Thanks for sharing that, at least know you're not alone and that we're all fighting hard to make sure voices here are heard and not discarded.
Appreciate your posts lately, definitely helps for feeling not alone.
Same. I was super young, so no evidence. The reaction to Tara Reades story gives me little hope i'll EVER get a sense of well-being.
I guess the only sense of well-being we will ever get comes from within. No point in expecting societal acceptance and acknowledgement. Work towards it, absolutely. Hope for it, sure. But we shouldn't expect it.

Jun 20, 2019
Deep respect for all of the victims of sexual abuse and assault telling a part of their stories here. Please be well, you aren't forgotten.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I walked back out of reading that recent thread when I saw a user who I've have had on ignore since he repeatedly dismissed allegations from victims against Michael Jackson was back acting 'confused around the the periphery of another rape victim.

My question on the last page around how we're distilling things down to quickly banning for hostility instead of appreciating and addressing things that contribute toward such reactions is still blanked to boot.

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Fucking disgusting, and to claim to be an ally of MeToo. That's why I try to stay out of those conversations when it's clear where they're headed. But the blatant hypocrisy is too much.

People think we can't see them

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Fucking disgusting, and to claim to be an ally of MeToo. That's why I try to stay out of those conversations when it's clear where they're headed.

People think we can't see them
Wise considering if you react with a degree of venom to someone downplaying something serious now you face a ban half the length of their eventual one.

Preferable to let them continue and ignore the thread someone is shitting it up.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Wise considering if you react with a degree of venom to someone downplaying something serious now you face a ban half the length of their eventual one.

Preferable to let them continue and ignore the thread someone is shitting it up.
I'm trying to be careful with my responses so that doesn't happen.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm trying to be careful with my responses so that doesn't happen.
Better person than me. My tolerance for people looking to dismiss or downplay and antagonising posts from them has waned and being muzzled into being courteous toward them isn't something I can maintain consistency around.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Better person than me. My tolerance for people looking to dismiss or downplay and antagonising posts from them has waned, and being muzzled into being courteous toward them isn't something I can maintain consistency around.
For me I'm in constant fluctuation between staying the fuck out of everything and not being able to not say something. But my presence in political threads in general has died down because of the way people have acted towards me

But I feel that anger, it comes and goes.

OP
OP
Xaszatm

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know it is frustrating to see multiple people who have previously been banned for casting doubt and refusing to believe women swarm my other thread "just asking questions" or even mocking the victim. Funny how that seems to happen.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019

Sorry to hear that. It's never futile.

At this stage given the stacking evidence in the Reade case, that is really when anyone expressing doubt is supposed to start to re-evaluate. So it does tend to weed out bad faith actors if it appears no amount of evidence is going to be accepted.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I walked back out of reading that recent thread when I saw a user who I've have had on ignore since he repeatedly dismissed allegations from victims against Michael Jackson was back acting 'confused around the the periphery of another rape victim.

My question on the last page around how we're distilling things down to quickly banning for hostility instead of appreciating and addressing things that contribute toward such reactions is still blanked to boot.

OH yeah, I've notice this poster doing this shit for YEARS. Always mealy mouth death by a thousands cuts when it comes to sexual assault. They're in the last Biden thread being the moderate voice of pragmatic reason.

Go ahead an carve out a exception for yourself and make excuses based on what the rule of lawwww says, but we see you. All of you, cloistered or not.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I'm sorry this is happening. There's not much I can do outside from catching a ban.

I've just realized a lot of Asian Era have already vacated this forum. Most of the talking is done on discord now.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Permitting this kind of discussion while banning victims that forcefully pushing back on literally traumatic dismissal is absolutely cruel.

Do you hear me? It's cruel to hold victims responsible for how they respond to dismissals. No matter how many paragraphs they use to say the same thing; "Victims are inconvenient so fuck em"

No you're not an ally if you believe the victim but still reward their abusers. Deal the entire FUCK with it.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't envy the mods one bit. No matter how furious I get at basura posts dismissing rape victims I know it's hard to zero in on the same things and act on them quickly. Especially when it's woven into long winded, seemingly reasonable posts over time.

People emulate their fav politicians and try to underhandedly imply things and while it's easy to see when you've dealt with it you're entire life, inexperience makes it seem foggy and the worthy goal of impartiality makes it even easier to stumble on crossed wires.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't envy the mods one bit. No matter how furious I get at basura posts dismissing rape victims I know it's hard to zero in on the same things and act on them quickly. Especially when it's woven into long winded, seemingly reasonable posts over time.

People emulate their fav politicians and try to underhandedly imply things and while it's easy to see when you've dealt with it you're entire life, inexperience makes it seem foggy and the worthy goal of impartiality makes it even easier to stumble on crossed wires.
I think it's important to set the standard now, that enough is enough. These issues won't go away, especially as we move towards November. Thankfully it looks like concern trolling and skirting around the forum rules is starting to be actioned.

It sucks to see so many people who purposely doubt victims but with it in ways that make it more difficult to be banned.

It's the reason why I stay out of threads I would otherwise post in. Why it doesn't feel safe.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I'm not surprised it was completely blanked, the same shit happened last year in a trans related thread last year around the time of trans awareness week where someone was posting blatantly transphobic crap goading people into replying and when people got hostile they were the ones who got banned first instead of the transphobe. Seems things didn't change here.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's important to set the standard now, that enough is enough. These issues won't go away, especially as we move towards November. Thankfully it looks like concern trolling and skirting around the forum rules is starting to be actioned.

It sucks to see so many people who purposely doubt victims but with it in ways that make it more difficult to be banned.

It's the reason why I stay out of threads I would otherwise post in. Why it doesn't feel safe.

I completely agree it's long passed time to bring the hammer down with zero exceptions. Things are grim but at some point it has to be done, this isn't tenable.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Racist concern trolling and misrepresenting moderation. User has a long history (+ numerous bans) of exclusively making white fragility reports (not actual racism against PoCs), and even targeted black moderators in reports
I'm sorry this is happening. There's not much I can do outside from catching a ban.

I've just realized a lot of Asian Era have already vacated this forum. Most of the talking is done on discord now.

This site completely excuses racism towards asian. Any thread about asian racism you have multiple posts "i dont see whats racist about that", with no bans or warnings.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Finally Kharvey16 is banned for dismissiveness around sexual assault, after a LONG history of this like you pointed out.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The bans were for abusing the report system (after a very blatant pattern of behaviour), so the banner is not on a specific post. It is however recorded in the system and visible to all staff.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bans were for abusing the report system (after a very blatant pattern of behaviour), so the banner is not on a specific post. It is however recorded in the system and visible to all staff.
Can you explain what a pattern of behaviour means in this context? I'm not entirely sure what abusing the report system means outside of sending abusively written reports or reporting a poster several times in the same thread. The official Era guide doesn't go into a lot of detail on what's considered improper use of the reporting system

EDIT: I didn't fully read the ban message apparently. Just as a little feedback, I'd still like to see what reports a user was banned for in a public post in the future as well as a more detailed guideline for what constitutes an abuse of the report system.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm not surprised it was completely blanked, the same shit happened last year in a trans related thread last year around the time of trans awareness week where someone was posting blatantly transphobic crap goading people into replying and when people got hostile they were the ones who got banned first instead of the transphobe. Seems things didn't change here.
Seems so.

-
e: The last post summed it up better. Would rather a response to that than a vector of frustration.

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Here we go again...fortunately the other thread has had relatively few defenders because it's pretty hard to refute that shit now.

Oct 26, 2017
Here we go again...fortunately the other thread has had relatively few defenders because it's pretty hard to refute that shit now.

The walkback still leaves a sour taste in my mouth. The whole "believe the victim" mantra was thrown out immediately when it didn't suit people's agenda for the upcoming election, and then people got banned for calling out Biden. Even if the current evidence is hard to refute, there was no reason why the behaviour should've been the way it was.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The walkback still leaves a sour taste in my mouth. The whole "believe the victim" mantra was thrown out immediately when it didn't suit people's agenda for the upcoming election, and then people got banned for calling out Biden. Even if the current evidence is hard to refute, there was no reason why the behaviour should've been the way it was.
Yeah, someone even linked a tweet in that thread from someone that basically said it's all a hoax/nothing/etc. and that we "shouldn't get distracted". The tweet was still made TODAY.

I'm glad at least people are finally recognizing this, but I agree, it's infuriating it took this long to get here.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Sucks that it's taking basically irrefutable evidence to keep people from openly shitting on victims of sexual abuse. Just goes to show you where people's hearts are

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Calling out sexual assault is now being described as "party purity" and "perceived character flaws", among other things. There's also been a strong return of "why didn't she come forward earlier?"

Edit: and now we're back to victim blaming based on timing, and that it's possibly "manufactured"

Victims have to deal with a lot of shit, and I can't imagine being in the public spotlight over this. Must be hell

Last edited:
OP
OP
Xaszatm

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today I learned that this entire thing is fine because Biden isn't a "full-time rapist".

Just...what? WHAT!?! WHAAAA!?!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
A number of the posts being referenced above have been moderated, or are going to be as soon as we get to process them. Some of them have been completely unacceptable and yes, it's frustrating and appalling to read them. Believe me, I know this all too well.

That said, this has now become a place to just attack other members and mods. The moderator being referenced here has been a consistent ally who has defended Tara Reade and attacked Joe Biden at every opportunity, yet is being paraphrased completely out of context in order to be dunked on. This kind of toxicity is not acceptable, and we're putting a stop to it.

Please continue reporting posts that minimize sexual assault and/or attack victims. Such posts have always been bannable and will continue to be. This does not mean posters have free rein to lash out towards other members.

Status
Not open for further replies.