• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
We've been talking about the importance of language, the implications, and the intent.

Era has had zero tolerance for those kinds of posts before. So yes, people are gonna get frustrated and they're not always going to be civil about it when it's this sensitive of an issue—which I thought was WHY the rules for those topics were so strict in the first place; to protect victims from having people prod and dismiss them.

So...idk, explain in a way we can understand how that post by Ortix wasn't being apologetic, cause honestly it reads like it's meant to cast doubt.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This part was directly aimed at victims, saying that we are not being shamed by directly talking about these as consequences. If victims do not vote for Biden, then they are responsible for the loss of Roe vs Wade, the loss of Planned Parenthood, the loss of health services for women, and the loss of access to abortion for women. Rampage can add a caveat of trying to say that they understand why victims can't vote, but that does not change this part of their post directly blaming victims who do not vote for the loss of these actions if Trump enacts them down the line.

You forgot to include the part where she makes it painfully obvious who she was talking about:

Sitting at home and letting Trump win is reversing women's rights. If real victims can't pull the lever for Joe, I stand with them- trauma runs deep. But all you people who claim care about women so much that are using us a political talking point- yes I am shaming YOU. Women's right are being stripped away too many people are waiting for a unicorn or to be excited a choose one. Life is not fucking fairy tale- get out there and put your vote toward progress, even incremental progress. Because Biden is sure the hell better choice than the Republican hellscape that has take hold with McConnell, Trump, Kauvaugh, Paul Ryan, and hundreds of other asshole that destroying women lives on a daily basis.

If that and her later posts don't make it clear, I really don't know what else would.

Let's be clear here, 50% of Americans do not vote in Presidential Elections. They do this because candidates do not appeal to them, because of gerrymandering, voter suppression, lack of federal holidays for voting, and so many other reasons but you and Rampage and so many others keep digging your heels in on victims of sexual assault who are uncomfortable voting for Biden. You want them to ignore any trauma they might have from their past, any misgivings they might have about actively helping put a rapist in the white house, so that they can make life better for you.

I said before that you were misinterpreting Rampage's points in the worst way, but now it's clear that I was wrong. Say what you will about me, but she made her points clear - she is not digging her heels in, she does not want victims to ignore their trauma, and she does not want them to ignore their misgivings about Biden.

You are, straight up, lying about her. You have perfectly demonstrated why your request to the staff is hypocritical coming from you.

You all need to stop pretending that stating these in relation to trauma related to sexual assault survivors is anything but trying to shame us into voting for Biden. Because if we can't push past our own trauma, then we are hurting others, and that's something we should feel bad about.

Focus on literally any other part of the 50% of Americans and maybe you all would look less like assholes, less like hypocrites, and actually be able to win an election. Because I can guarantee you that the low turnout for Sanders in all of these primaries was not because of sexual assault victims.

The bold is literally what she was doing - her post was aimed squarely at the people who aren't victims. Again, she made that obvious, and just because you're pretending otherwise doesn't make it so.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sick of reading about how *impractical* it is to hold certain alleged rapists accountable.

I even saw someone throw out "Hey Clinton was accused of rape and he gave us RBG"

If there's room for Very Important Rapists in the Democratic Party, then it's not my party.

I'm privileged to not have been a victim of sexual assault in my life. I can't imagine how I'd feel about this if I was.

Last edited:

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of in-and-out right now due to real life obligations, but I do want to point out something here. Just because Ortix's post was ban worthy doesn't necessarily excuse the other posts for also breaking the rules. The posts that were banned alongside the staff post were all breaking a rule; some of them multiple rules. Things like telling someone to fuck off and calling them a rape apologist, or excessively swearing at our staff just because we haven't made a decision yet don't become acceptable just because it's directed at someone who's taking a ban themselves.

Heh, understatement of the year. One day I'll possibly talk about how many old wounds (including abuse) that I've had opened back up because of moderating.
What does matter is the penalty for said infractions, and based on the lengths in here it's clear who is being most looked after.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You forgot to include the part where she makes it painfully obvious who she was talking about:

If that and her later posts don't make it clear, I really don't know what else would.

I said before that you were misinterpreting Rampage's points in the worst way, but now it's clear that I was wrong. Say what you will about me, but she made her points clear - she is not digging her heels in, she does not want victims to ignore their trauma, and she does not want them to ignore their misgivings about Biden.

You are, straight up, lying about her. You have perfectly demonstrated why your request to the staff is hypocritical coming from you.

The bold is literally what she was doing - her post was aimed squarely at the people who aren't victims. Again, she made that obvious, and just because you're pretending otherwise doesn't make it so.

"Victims are not being shamed, they are being told the truth." And then proceeding to talk about that truth immediately following that should clue you in who they were talking about.

Rampage does not see that paragraph as shaming as clearly stated by that first line, I do. That is why the very next one dives into talking about how they ARE shaming people who are not victims. That is our disagreement, but there is no reality where that paragraph is not aimed at victims. Because it is.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
(Bolding by me)

With all due respect: it seems like it was over 24 hours before Ortix's post was handled. If you consider the other one that was linked, it was over a week. I understand that decisions take time even without the current extra strain on staff, but at some point people are naturally going to think that a decision was made, and that it was that the posts were acceptable.

Understandable. This is a valid complaint insofar as the time taken, and it's something I'm looking into and will bring up with the rest of staff.

Mar 10, 2018
Might have to ignore Off Topic altogether.

Won't be long before we have a thread where Tom Hanks or Keanu Reeves or whoever else this site worships says that having any reservations about supporting Biden makes you equal to a KKK member.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
(Bolding by me)

With all due respect: it seems like it was over 24 hours before Ortix's post was handled. If you consider the other one that was linked, it was over a week. I understand that decisions take time even without the current extra strain on staff, but at some point people are naturally going to think that a decision was made, and that it was that the posts were acceptable.

I say this from work experience dealing with all kinds of cases. Sometimes when things get too hectic, big cases can slip through the cracks. I work at a pretty big company with offices in several states and countries. We have to worry about time zones too. When a big or important case happens where I can't make all the decisions, I have to Slack people. Sometimes I have to Slack several times before the other teams would even be able to look at it. This could be a day or two or even a week later. While we're worrying about this ticket that hasn't been decided on, we could also have important tickets that just gets missed in the queue.

I know for a fact that ERA has a ton of stuff to deal with behind the scenes because one of the people we hangout with is a mod here. Don't get me wrong, he doesn't tell us the details, I know there's a ton of shit to deal with because it was a random offhand question I asked one day. I can't imagine a bunch of volunteers working on this forum will have the organization to deal with what I have to deal with in a company.

Today I ended my day at the job with 30 or so tickets that still hasn't been completely dealt with. I can't begin to imagine how much more shit the mods have on their queue here.

I don't know how ERA works behind the scenes. I'm just trying to give some perspective on what dealing with problems looks like.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every Biden endorsement thread is going to be the same song and dance. Now we have Godwin enhanced ultra shame combo 2000. Concerns for how such a charged implication affects survivors is just casually smacked away because there aint no time for empathy or consideration in total warrrgh.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every Biden endorsement thread is going to be the same song and dance. Now we have Godwin enhanced ultra shame combo 2000. Concerns for how such a charged implication affects survivors is just casually smacked away because there aint no time for empathy or consideration in total warrrgh.

Some people have mentioned that to just give it time and that tempers will soothe over in the coming months before the election. While that may be true for some, I think most threads are going to end up the same in regards to sexual assault victims, which is really sad.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Some people have mentioned that to just give it time and that tempers will soothe over in the coming months before the election. While that may be true for some, I think most threads are going to end up the same in regards to sexual assault victims, which is really sad.
honestly, I don't think tempers will soothe until after the election is over, and only if Biden wins the election. I'm expecting a shitshow if Trump wins, but frankly that just makes all my problems with how things are being handled here all the more problematic. I feel like the problem of vote shaming has always existed on this site. The only reason it's come to a head now is because it's become too big of a problem to ignore, but I've always felt that people on this site have been extremely dismissive towards people who decide not to vote. Some people view their reasons as dumb, while others just shame them regardless of reason.

I don't think it's acceptable to basically tell victims of sexual assault, "just don't go into politics threads, and discuss how this situation makes you feel and discuss that you won't be voting" and while I don't think anyone is arguing that they should do that, I feel like that's the only option that's being given to them. Either that or leave the site.

Fundamentally, I think people are just, either not understanding how traumatic of an experience this is for victims, or they don't understand what vote shaming is. Most of us on this site are very aware of the stakes of this election, and as such sexual assault victims don't need to be told the consequences of this election. People's reaction to victims saying they won't vote shouldn't be reminding them what's at stake and basically telling them, if Biden loses, you will be part of the blame for children staying in cages, losing the supreme court, and Trump staying in power. The least you can do, when a victim of sexual assault discusses how this election makes them feel, regardless of how they decide to vote, is support them, because they are fucking hurting. I just feel, that in this instance, victims who decide not to vote, are being treated extremely unfairly. If you are a victim of sexual assault, and you decide to vote for Joe Biden, I respect your decision, but I also don't think it's asking for much to be respectful of those who decide not to, and I don't think they are being respected frankly, given the blatant voter shaming I'm seeing.

Last edited:

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Unfortunately it is all sacrificed for the sake of politics and international interest with both parties as guilty. As if they'd care for 1 rape victim victim, when they supported perpetrators of thousand rape victims

www.britannica.com

Hashim Thaci | Biography & Facts

Hashim Thaci, Kosovar rebel leader and politician who served as the prime minister (2008–14) and president (2016–20) of Kosovo. Just weeks after assuming the premiership, he oversaw Kosovo’s declaration of independence from Serbia. Learn more about Thaci’s life and career.

Thaçi was known as "the Snake" and allegedly was involved in organized crime, including prostitution operations within the province and arms, oil, and cigarette smuggling. He purportedly secured financing for the KLA's training and arms and reputedly engaged in a number of violent attacks in Kosovo. Thaçi allegedly ordered the assassination of other potential Kosovar political leaders and military commanders. In July 1997 the District Court of Pristina sentenced Thaçi in absentia to 10 years in prison for "criminal acts of terrorism."

thaciclinton.bmp

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
honestly, I don't think tempers will soothe until after the election is over, and only if Biden wins the election. I'm expecting a shitshow if Trump wins, but frankly that just makes all my problems with how things are being handled here all the more problematic. I feel like the problem of vote shaming has always existed on this site. The only reason it's come to a head now is because it's become too big of a problem to ignore, but I've always felt that people on this site have been extremely dismissive towards people who decide not to vote. Some people view their reasons as dumb, while others just shame them regardless of reason.

I don't think it's acceptable to basically tell victims of sexual assault, "just don't go into politics threads, and discuss how this situation makes you feel and discuss that you won't be voting" and while I don't think anyone is arguing that they should do that, I feel like that's the only option that's being given to them. Either that or leave the site.

Fundamentally, I think people are just, either not understanding how traumatic of an experience this is for victims, or they don't understand what vote shaming is. Most of us on this site are very aware of the stakes of this election, and as such sexual assault victims don't need to be told the consequences of this election. People's reaction to victims saying they won't vote shouldn't be reminding them what's at stake and basically telling them, if Biden loses, you will be part of the blame for children staying in cages, losing the supreme court, and Trump staying in power. The least you can do, when a victim of sexual assault discusses how this election makes them feel, regardless of how they decide to vote, is support them, because they are fucking hurting. I just feel, that in this instance, victims who decide not to vote, are being treated extremely unfairly. If you are a victim of sexual assault, and you decide to vote for Joe Biden, I respect your decision, but I also don't think it's asking for much to be respectful of those who decide not to.
I think the thing is that so many are absolutely terrified and some literally fear for their lives or friends/family with the prospect of 4 more years of Trump. When it gets to that extreme, and adding in what is happening now and with how Trump is handling it(ie calling for a civil war) it's hard for people to think rationally about a lot of things and go into fight and/or flight mode.

Deleted member 30681

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I think the thing is that so many are absolutely terrified and some literally fear for their lives or friends/family with the prospect of 4 more years of Trump. When it gets to that extreme, and adding in what is happening now and with how Trump is handling it(ie calling for a civil war) it's hard for people to think rationally about a lot of things and go into fight and/or flight mode.
as much as I understand that, and as much as I feel for those people, if your priority is making sure people turnout for Biden, there are 50 other things you could be doing instead of shaming victims of sexual assault on the internet to go out and vote.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It did shock me that the view here was largely "vote for a sexual predator because he's less bad than the other sexual predator. Don't talk about it anymore, we might get back to it afterwards".

It reminded me a lot of when it was revealed Trudeau had done blackface more than once.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
as much as I understand that, and as much as I feel for those people, if your priority is making sure people turnout for Biden, there are 50 other things you could be doing instead of shaming victims of sexual assault on the internet to go out and vote.
i completely agree, and not defending anyone that went to that level. More just saying about the general tension that started in the bernie thread. There has never been a time like this for anyone on the forum for a bunch of reasons, so even older users are reacting in ways they probably usually never would.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
i completely agree, and not defending anyone that went to that level. More just saying about the general tension that started in the bernie thread. There has never been a time like this for anyone on the forum for a bunch of reasons, so even older users are reacting in ways they probably usually never would.
For me, its a lot of issues, some personal (I've been denied the chance to vote before over something I had NO control of, and it was embarrassing and anger-inducing, my grandfather was beaten to a pulp as a young man in Lousiana trying to vote), some more rooted in history and the future, all of it linked to Trump. Out of respect for what the mods asked, I won't go into it any further, but I don't think it'll cool down any time soon. Only heat up as we get closer.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Moderation is a thankless task (especially given ya'll aren't paid for this), I get it. Been there. But at some point or another the moderation is going to have to own up to the fact that you set the tone for the site by what actions you take (and don't), and that the tone you've set is this: the barest pretense of civility on Era matters more than content and context. Politeness gets you all the allowance in the world until enough people make a stink and point out how this is obviously partial bullshit. Is this what you all want?

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
I feel that I need to preface this; I don't really feel like I belong in this topic because I'm not a sexual assault survivor. A victim of physical assault at my former place of employment yes, but that was miniscule compared to what survivors have gone through.
That being said, this whole thing doesn't feel much different than that trans fiasco which did affect me deeply. I thought after all that we'd be better than this, it only feels the same or even worse. I feel as if this website gets harder to stomach each and everyday, and I'm at the point where I barely post anymore. Which is sad as this community is where I met people who'd become some very good friends.
I'm not going to shit on staff members. Among them is one of my best friends in the world, but even if that wasn't the case they get too much abuse as it is. I will however criticize the handling of this and other past situations.
I always give people the benefit of the doubt, perhaps to a fault. At least people who aren't doing/saying awful things, but the longer this goes on the harder it is for me to justify my continuing to give said benefit to staff.

I don't know if I have a point here, I'm really bad at taking about stuff like this so forgive me if I come off as rambling but I really felt like I needed to say something here, I just wish I was better at getting points across.
We need to do better than this. Letting the offending posters run wild too long puts people on edge and I don't blame them for going off over it. I did that very same thing in the trans topic and violated the rules in the process, I wasn't banned because everyone was on edge by that point.

I know things are a lot harder now with the epidemic but this place is going to fall apart if we can't handle these things better. I still love this community even if I can't stomach the negativity and bad faith arguments that seem to run rampant at times anymore. It's hard to be here.

I hope I don't derail this thread I just needed to say something, and sorry for making such a long post.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I say this from work experience dealing with all kinds of cases. Sometimes when things get too hectic, big cases can slip through the cracks. I work at a pretty big company with offices in several states and countries. We have to worry about time zones too. When a big or important case happens where I can't make all the decisions, I have to Slack people. Sometimes I have to Slack several times before the other teams would even be able to look at it. This could be a day or two or even a week later. While we're worrying about this ticket that hasn't been decided on, we could also have important tickets that just gets missed in the queue.

I know for a fact that ERA has a ton of stuff to deal with behind the scenes because one of the people we hangout with is a mod here. Don't get me wrong, he doesn't tell us the details, I know there's a ton of shit to deal with because it was a random offhand question I asked one day. I can't imagine a bunch of volunteers working on this forum will have the organization to deal with what I have to deal with in a company.

Today I ended my day at the job with 30 or so tickets that still hasn't been completely dealt with. I can't begin to imagine how much more shit the mods have on their queue here.

I don't know how ERA works behind the scenes. I'm just trying to give some perspective on what dealing with problems looks like.

I understand what you're getting at - I occasionally have to deal with support tickets at my work too, but only as someone who may have to help resolve the issue - but the point here was more that because the decision is only rarely communicated to the person reporting, silence without seeing any moderation can seem like it was already resolved and the staff just disagreed with the report. Obviously as you describe, things can get missed or are waiting behind other issues, but there's no way for people to know and there's only so long they can reasonably assume that it just hasn't been addressed yet vs resolved with no punishment. I don't know if there's really a great solution to that, since I know the alert responses for resolving a report (in any direction) can't feasibly happen for every report so you can't have a default assumption of being told the resolution, but it's gonna be a problem in situations like this.

I will say, though, that I have already been getting a lot more alerts notifying me for resolved reports around these threads. And I do appreciate that, personally. But I also can't speak to if that's been happening for others too or was just because of whoever happened to handle my reports, etc.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
I apologize if my counting is off but I've seen way more victims and allies being banned in the last week or so than the people who were continually antagonizing rape victims. I've seen posts insinuating rape victims are privileged if they choose not to vote Biden with absolutely no action taken. Meanwhile, posters pointing out the blatant hypocrisy of those who are antagonizing victims are banned for "trolling" with a quickness. I can understand there being a backlog of reports and a delay in response, but that doesn't explain why victims and their allies were being banned much more quickly.

It seems quite obvious to me that the moderation team has a pretty strong bias. Which is honestly even more upsetting than the mods just ignoring the antagonizing behavior. Since the time I joined GAF 10 years ago the community has gotten a lot more progressive overall, but if I'm being honest this forum has started to feel even more toxic than those old days in some ways.

Oct 27, 2017
It did shock me that the view here was largely "vote for a sexual predator because he's less bad than the other sexual predator. Don't talk about it anymore, we might get back to it afterwards".

It reminded me a lot of when it was revealed Trudeau had done blackface more than once.

I think people are literally terrified of Trump. There is a pandemic and this guy is causing mayhem and making things worse. I think in the general course of things all this stuff should be aired, but for the moment most people will want conversations about this parked until the manic trying to burn down the house is dealt with.

Its truly a shitty situation. And especially for people who have been badly affected by these things are being asked to step up in swing states, where their vote could really matter.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think people are literally terrified of Trump. There is a pandemic and this guy is causing mayhem and making things worse. I think in the general course of things all this stuff should be aired, but for the moment most people will want conversations about this parked until the manic trying to burn down the house is dealt with.

Its truly a shitty situation. And especially for people who have been badly affected by these things are being asked to step up in swing states, where their vote could really matter.

I agree, and they're right to be terrified of more Trump. But in both cases there's definitely more than a hint of wanting people to shut up about the negative sides of the left-most option, here.

Like, "you're a victim of sexual assault but be quiet about it while we're trying to fight this battle". Like Trudeau, there's the implication that it will be addressed once the battle is won, but instead it'll just be forgotten.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
[hostility does not] become acceptable just because it's directed at someone who's taking a ban themselves.
Genuine question on a deeper level around serious topics - why?

I'm noticing far more people just being banned for hostility now but I think it needs to be explored as to why people might be more hostile and how that ties into the issues around staff shortages.

Fundamentally: when you acknowledge that someone is agitating people, why are you banning people for being agitated by them?

Someone gets banned for coming in and dismissing a victim of sexual assault.
You then ban people for not only getting agitated by this person but just saying they should be banned:

This is at odds with the issue around staff availability though:
  • If you acknowledge the staff are spread thin then you acknowledge that those posting trash are doing so for longer in threads.
  • This will naturally agitate people because that user is left to continue spreading whatever bullshit they are.
  • You then ban people for expressing the agitation through hostility toward (or indirectly at) them.
It seems as though if you are spread thin some tolerance should be shown in that regard, or if no tolerance is willing to be given around hostility toward people eventually banned then more staff need to be adopted so they're not left to agitate the users that are then being penalised for lashing out.

Where it's at now with the recent thread and posts it's as much how we let survivors of sexual assault speak to people looking to dismiss or shame them as it is asking people to have the decency not to. At a wider forum level and looking at the issues in play it seems like either more staff need to be recruited or more understanding given when people lash out at people repeatedly looking to downplay or dismiss serious and sensitive topics and issues.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I agree, and they're right to be terrified of more Trump. But in both cases there's definitely more than a hint of wanting people to shut up about the negative sides of the left-most option, here.

Like, "you're a victim of sexual assault but be quiet about it while we're trying to fight this battle". Like Trudeau, there's the implication that it will be addressed once the battle is won, but instead it'll just be forgotten.

Oh I'm doubtful it will be addressed in any meaningful way if Biden wins. But I'll encourage people to shout it from the roof tops at that point.

But justice is in short supply in this world sadly.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
He also, again, didn't rape anybody, as far as I know. Two fairly different situations.

Just as a personal matter, what you and RedMercury are suggesting about a forum issues discussion board sounds like it could be interesting... or insanely toxic. It'd have to be carefully done. I can talk to the rest of the team about it, but it's hard to shake the feeling sometimes that we'd have to spend an incredibly outsized amount of time and effort moderating it and it'd still be a toxic hellhole.

And you're right, I'm not referring to people taking issue with things we've done as bullying or hostility. I'm mostly referring to people twisting words to say that we're doing something we're not, or not doing something we are. Or tossing back a team members helping hand, or just telling us to go fuck ourselves, etc. etc. This is part of the fear with a forum discussion section/thread as well.

Moderation can always be better. It's gotten harder since the pandemic, though. I don't expect anybody to be fully ameliorated by that, mind. Just explaining the reality of it. Lotta days we only have 2-3 people on at a time, and if a report falls outside of their areas of expertise, well, stuff can sit. We try not to let it.

I just think a topic like that would be completely untenable for productive conversations and would routinely descend into complete toxicity. Those fears are completely founded.

We've had several of these types of threads the past couple of months, all of them based on very sensitive topics (race, sexual assault) questioning the moderation of the site that have been allowed to stay open for days/weeks and the discussion often isn't level headed despite the very sensitive nature leading to graveyards. You have a topic for questioning moderation decisions beyond specific sensitive subjects on actions and policy and it simply becomes a free for fall.

Not that mods/admins shouldn't be accountable, there should be some leeway on discussion of their actions and attitudes but opening the floodgates of accountability wouldn't achieve anything and just lead to more abuse and literally just creates a "to do list" for bad operators on other sites and forums that watch this place. As Sophia alluded to they get targeted personally for their status on the site and people happily use their personal history against them.

The staff too aren't a monolithic presence either, they are a cast of very different people with very different experiences and attitudes. They try to work around the base of people with knowledge and experience on subjects X, Y or Z and often things have to be taken with a round table approach. I wouldn't for example want Syder suddenly controlling PolEra or this Biden situation, but to that same token I wouldn't want Sophia making lone decisions on BritEra or Sport communities. People in their spheres should have more influence, it isn't a perfect system but at least it leads to communities/sections of the group having representation on moderation, even if it does spread a large team thin.

I think what a lot of people don't like is that when posters become staff and essentially vanish as community members and instead of interacting they are essentially watchkeepers; which their role requires to a degree but people still want their presence as posters as well.

But I digress, if we were to have a permanent topic on moderation decisions it would constantly have to be watched and guidelines put in place; then everyone will ignore the guidelines and protest it stifles the point of the thread and it would just become a place where toxicity against staff is tolerated. I don't have faith it would become a good faith haven of progressive questioning and fruitful discussion, however good intentioned some people may be.

People want consistency too from the staff in the application of the site rules, especially when a situation like this arises there should be staff posts specifically saying what and what is not acceptable in the context of "new sensitive subject X" (e.g. Biden), which they did to an extent with the Kobe threads but probably not enough for the Biden threads.

People too need to have realistic expectations. This is an online community, likes thousands that came before and thousands that will undoubtably come after. There isn't a perfect utopian plan for these sites and there will always be issues and people should accept the realistic nature that difficult conversations don't have a clear cut answer and that the staff are acting in good faith to do as well as they possibly can together and with the community. Nor should crowd think be the defining policy.

Edit: apologies Sophie - accidentally had you tagged at first.

Last edited:

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I just don't get how the admin can morally look at the results of this thread, independent of individual rule transgressions, with the pages of banned members crying out for protection against sexual harassment downplaying and think "Yep, we did good. Another issue successfully resolved."

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't get how the admin can morally look at the results of this thread, independent of individual rule transgressions, with the pages of banned members crying out for protection against sexual harassment downplaying and think "Yep, we did good. Another issue successfully resolved."

Are they though? They're acknowledging this is ongoing, having their own discussions regarding it, and taking input from this and other threads. At no point have they come out and said "well we've handled this great and it's all resolved", this is clearly a continuing issue of concern for them.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are they though? They're acknowledging this is ongoing, having their own discussions regarding it, and taking input from this and other threads. At no point have they come out and said "well we've handled this great and it's all resolved", this is clearly a continuing issue of concern for them.

In what way do you feel that they're taking input and still working on this issue? They changed wording on some of the bans in here already to find any reason to keep them, while not changing a thing with Ortix's despite posts like those about any other sexual assault situation having much higher ban lengths if not perms and allowing people hurt by those comments to push back.

The only comments staff have made in this thread are comments about how hard things are for them personally and how they'll take note that these reports took a while to resolve. To be blunt, if it takes you multiple people and over 24 hours to discuss a post like Ortix where he directly calls a victim of sexual assault a Russian plant, making up an accusation for money because she opened a PayPal account, all while repeatedly saying that people bringing up this accusation are just doing it in bad faith to hurt Biden, then the staff are not the allies they try to portray themselves as.

Because let's be clear. If someone had said any one of those statements about Kavanaughs accuser, they would have been permed. That is not even a hypothetical, that is literally what happened. For some reason the staff are hesitant to punish people who are defending Biden and are extremely sensitive to victims pushing back against people who defend rapists for their own political gain.

In what way do you see them actually improving when once again a marginalized group is impacted but the staff are somehow the biggest victims of it?

Oct 25, 2017
When all of this came to light, I wasn't surprised by how many here would react to this. I don't see liberals as so different from out and out conservatives.
Same case for the internet as a whole, I've had this feeling for a while that many of us, marginalised, survivors etc were merely used as props and when shit hits the fan we'd be tossed aside. It's happened to me as a POC, and it is happening again as a survivor of sexual assault.
It's happened time and time again, I hate that I'm right about this.

Fuck everyone here in this shithole who, in their first reaction to the allegation, decided to excuse it because you have to defeat this 'ultimate' evil.
MeToo didn't mean shit, they don't want to hold anyone accountable, merely the appearance of doing so. I don't have the words to describe how utterly shameless and inhumane they are.

They'll weep and say "we're sorry, we didn't understand" but the truth is they'll do it again, because they have no beliefs, they will do this again.
We're going to discuss the same shit again, going to 'talk about it' and let the same shit slide, since rape is a 'trivial matter' that should be set aside because of so-called Russian conspiracies, or a false sense of pragmatism to 'save' the U.S. Nothing truly matters. We will be gaslit again, we will be blamed again. No matter our circumstance this shit will continue to happen. Race, rape, gender, whatever it is. The truth is, accountability just isn't in the cards.

I have no interest in talking to the admins/mods who continue to let this happen again and again. There are no excuses, appeals to ignorance and trying to 'understand' doesn't mean shit if nothing gets done, so what's the fucking point, huh?

Fucking hell, I came back here to see what's up after a while and unsurprisingly, here we are.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The way this site just excuses all of the handwaving of this stuff is absolutely disgusting. We are finally seeing peoples true colors on sexual harassment and abuse. Seeing a lot of the same arguments that the other side was making for Kavanaugh, but its fine here because its someone on the left.

I guess this "left leaning" site can add sexual assault vIctims to the list of people not welcome here.

Im also sickened by the party leadership. They demanded an investigation into the claims against Kavanaugh, and rightly so, but here they are fully endorsing Biden with no qualifiers. I dont see any demands for an investigation. No "I will only endorse him after these claims have been thoroughly investigated". The complete opposite is happening and everyone is coming out of the woodwork to endorse him with no qualifications.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Biden winning the nomination is an one of the worst outcomes of the primary that could have happened. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to vote for him. The alternative getting to stay in office is demonstrably worse, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Biden winning the nomination is an one of the worst outcomes of the primary that could have happened. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to vote for him. The alternative getting to stay in office is demonstrably worse, though.
i think people in here are aware of that.

this thread is about how this forum can work better to stop the people who are going beyond that and trying to downplay Joe Biden's record (personal but also in office) or guilting people expressing reservations hiding behind the fig leaves of disclaimers and civility.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i think people in here are aware of that.

this thread is about how this forum can work better to stop the people who are going beyond that and trying to downplay Joe Biden's record (personal but also in office) or guilting people expressing reservations hiding behind the fig leaves of disclaimers and civility.

I'm not a victim of sexual assault, so please feel free to tell me I'm out of line for commenting, but this site seems to have a highly narrow view when it comes to politics, particularly when it comes to elections.

At the best of times Era is very black and white, but that seems heightened on the run up to a vote. There's a goal, and God forbid anyone interfere with that - to hell with your experiences.

I said it before but there's this view that we can worry about these things after it's settled. But honestly that's bullshit.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm not a victim of sexual assault, so please feel free to tell me I'm out of line for commenting, but this site seems to have a highly narrow view when it comes to politics, particularly when it comes to elections.

At the best of times Era is very black and white, but that seems heightened on the run up to a vote. There's a goal, and God forbid anyone interfere with that - to hell with your experiences.

I said it before but there's this view that we can worry about these things after it's settled. But honestly that's bullshit.
In another thread i asked if Biden wins this November what could we realistically do to be able to hold Biden accountable and someone told me hes only going to be a one term president and wait until he croaks so that his VP pick takes over. Like to me that is not justice at all and the Democrats are not going to impeach him i doubt it. :/

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In another thread i asked if Biden wins this November what could we realistically do to be able to hold Biden accountable and someone told me hes only going to be a one term president and wait until he croaks so that his VP pick takes over. Like to me that is not justice at all and the Democrats are not going to impeach him i doubt it. :/

Agreed. No accountability.

But that said I'm not unsympathetic to the conflict. I think anyone should consider voting against Trump because of what that means not just for the USA but for the world, but to expect them to be quiet about Biden is wrong.

I also think the language used by Sanders "irresponsible" is excessive and insulting to those conflicted by his behaviour. I'd hope that victims do consider the implications of not voting against Trump, but who is anybody to try and make them feel guilty about it.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't envy the position the mod team is in (and they should seriously be paid) and they're gonna have to make some hard choices about what is acceptable and what isn't. I'm not sure banning a wave of dissent is going to help people feel encouraged that the mod team is on top of things. Generally speaking I think there are times where dropping decorum (to a degree) should be permissible, but the mods have the power and they can make the choices for themselves. Ultimately though they probably won't be able to please everyone so they're gonna have to factor that into their decision making.

It's going to be a long road to November. My viewpoint will probably never align fully with the mods on this and I've made my peace with that.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Concern trolling, prior bans for downplaying sexual assault and sexism, use of incel/mra style rhetoric
I don't envy the position the mod team is in (and they should seriously be paid) and they're gonna have to make some hard choices about what is acceptable and what isn't. I'm not sure banning a wave of dissent is going to help people feel encouraged that the mod team is on top of things. Generally speaking I think there are times where dropping decorum (to a degree) should be permissible, but the mods have the power and they can make the choices for themselves. Ultimately though they probably won't be able to please everyone so they're gonna have to factor that into their decision making.

It's going to be a long road to November. My viewpoint will probably never align fully with the mods on this and I've made my peace with that.

It's the bed they've made. I don't know if Biden should be yeeted, but I know for a fact that had a man in any other circumstance faced an accusation of sexual assault, that accusation would be considered incontrovertible and any post that might even tangentially be construed otherwise would be harshly moderated.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If their supposed rapist wasn't the serial raping caricature I have preconceived and is instead just a normal guy, I don't believe them. If they didn't tell anyone except people they trusted about it, I can't trust their witness bias. If they don't have clothes with semen on them I doubt it really happened.

People need to learn how to get raped right.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If their supposed rapist wasn't the serial raping caricature I have preconceived and is instead just a normal guy, I don't believe them. If they didn't tell anyone except people they trusted about it, I can't trust their witness bias. If they don't have clothes with semen on them I doubt it really happened.

People need to learn how to get raped right.
Just another day on ERA

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sad that i visit most mainstream news sites daily, but i didnt know there was an update in the biden rape accusations until i saw this thread bump.

Its absolutely not reported at all on cnn.

Deleted member 30681

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Why does it have to be this way? This site, of all sites, where we all immediately picked up and left a community for not believing women? This is such a profound regression.
it turns out, many on this site don't believe women when it is the most difficult to believe them. "Only believe women when it's convenient," sums up how I've felt about this whole issue for the past couple weeks.

Been extremely frustrating, and just extremely eye opening. I was expecting better from this place.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sexual assault victims are political chess pieces

Yup, pretty disgusting how when Christine Blasey Ford came forward, there was an immediate demand for an investigation before approvals for Kavanaugh (rightfully so), but there haven't been any calls for investigations of Biden prior to the DNC nominations.

The Lt Governor of VA was accused of rape. He just completely ignored it and everyone forgot about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.